Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

~Coxy posted:

And basically every question in the last few pages is talking about hacked content so I don't see the problem in what I'm asking.

It's not really a problem, it's just a question nobody here can really answer without a JTAG Xbox of their own, since the hacks we're using don't need it. I guess there's a slight chance somebody here may have a JTAG and knows exactly how to do what you're asking, but it's mostly us Rock Band geeks jizzing over finally being able to play Led Zeppelin and Guns 'n' Roses so those chances are slim.

But transforming customs from one filetype to another sounds like three steps removed from anything resembling quick or easy anyway. Just stick the files in the same place we all stick our files. If you run into problems then double check that you followed the steps right, delete the song cache and offending files and do over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

Orange Harrison posted:

Wait wait, you can edit the .dta of legit RBN files? Why was "Great Balls of Fire" let through with a release date of 2005 if that limitation was sidesteppable?
It depends what field you're after. I think the ones that *aren't* in Magma's GUI are the ones you can tweak manually.

I think I played around when I made Lollipop, and RB3 won't display a year before 1960 no matter what.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
If I remember from the Creators forums, that was the main issue; Rock Band 3 won't accept release dates before 1960, period. They went with the release date of the compilation it's on, or something.

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Is it very hard or involved to turn them into a DLC file instead?
That way I guess I would be able to keep TU6 as well.

Not much of a difference. You just build as "MarketPlace" in Le Fluffie instead of "SavedGame" and the resulting file goes into \00000002 instead of \00000001

But if you are like me and hate staring at all the furry poo poo (And that chat sidebar that redirects to some spammy site nowadays) Le Fluffie has, I'd recommend using Velocity instead. (https://github.com/hetelek/Velocity/downloads)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Lord Zedd posted:

But if you are like me and hate staring at all the furry poo poo (And that chat sidebar that redirects to some spammy site nowadays)

TrojanNemo of the C3 team made a version of Le Fluffie that strips out all of that and has some other helpful features (album art converter, automatic package creator). You can get it right here.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Nyxyxylyth posted:

I think I played around when I made Lollipop, and RB3 won't display a year before 1960 no matter what.

pksage posted:

If I remember from the Creators forums, that was the main issue; Rock Band 3 won't accept release dates before 1960, period. They went with the release date of the compilation it's on, or something.

I released Sleep Walk just two weeks ago. It's year is 1959; it sorts with the Johny Cash songs as a member of the 50's decade. :shrug:

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I would love to get some sort of step by step guide so that if anything I can do a couple of my favorite songs on the system.

Namely Focus - Sylvia and the second half of Layla.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

If you're too impatient for C3 to post their DLC announcement, my contribution is already available in other places:

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 10, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Psh, impatient? We're just continuing the fine Hamronix tradition, son.

C3 releases for 5/10:
  • Audioslave - "Like a Stone"
  • Audioslave - "Show Me How to Live"
  • The Beatles - "Rain"
  • Neil Young - "Rockin' in the Free World"
  • White Lies - "Farewell to the Fairground"

Once again, props to Orange Harrison for his awesome work on multitrack extraction!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

pksage posted:

Psh, impatient? We're just continuing the fine Hamronix tradition, son.

C3 releases for 5/10:
  • Audioslave - "Like a Stone"

I am a huge loser who's too excited about this (and the other song too, but mostly Like A Stone).
Do "Wide Awake" next please.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

pksage posted:

Audioslave - "Like a Stone"
This was totally an "oh THAT song!" for me. Just another reason to find the time to get customs set up.

AeolisCams
Jun 5, 2004
That Other Fat Guy
I've decided to jump into the conversion projects as a stepping stone into doing my own customs. Since I wanted Double Vision so badly, I'll start there. It's a crazy experience doing this for the first time, even though I used to do a lot of MIDI work and digital arranging in high school. It's really fun since I have to refactor the bass chart for 5 instead of '6' (5+open) lanes and refactor the drums chart to match RB axioms. (I'm also changing a few quirks of the chart I find annoying, like the incessant guitar chord-changing when it's not really there in the stems and isn't adding to the realism/motion/fun.)

On a side note, does anyone recognize the cut of the track from GHVH?

GHVH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pz3KHFObg
Album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxKCPjcvbys

It doesn't sound like the album version of the song to me, though it may just be mixed differently. I don't hear the eights pattern during the chorus on the album and the guitar's chords are cleaner/don't ring during the riffs.

Edit: A friend told me that what I always thought was the album version may be a live version, not the other way around.

AeolisCams fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 11, 2013

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

AeolisCams posted:

Since I wanted Double Vision so badly, I'll start there.

From me, thank you, SO MUCH. This is basically the only conversion song I've wanted besides Beat It.
If you need someone to write your venue animation and metadata I know a guy. :fap:

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

AeolisCams posted:

Since I wanted Double Vision so badly, I'll start there.

You and me could have a rad bromance. :glomp:

AeolisCams posted:

On a side note, does anyone recognize the cut of the track from GHVH?

GHVH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pz3KHFObg

It doesn't sound like the album version of the song to me, though it may just be mixed differently. I don't hear the eights pattern during the chorus on the album and the guitar's chords are cleaner/don't ring during the riffs.

Edit: A friend told me that what I always thought was the album version may be a live version, not the other way around.
The version you called "Album:" is definitely the studio cut. The GHVH version, on the other hand...that doesn't sound like Lou Gramm singing. I bet it's a re-record by '00s Foreigner.

El Destructo fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 11, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

pksage posted:

C3 releases for 5/10:
[list][*]Audioslave - "Like a Stone"

Huh. I always assumed this was a Stone Temple Pilots song. For some reason.

AeolisCams
Jun 5, 2004
That Other Fat Guy

Orange Harrison posted:

If you need someone to write your venue animation and metadata I know a guy. :fap:

I will probably take you up on that. I could only find the RBN1 docs and I read that the venue track is different.

El Destructo posted:

The version you called "Album:" is definitely the studio cut. The GHVH version, on the other hand...that doesn't sound like Lou Gramm singing. I bet it's a re-record by '00s Foreigner.

Thank you for confirming I'm not crazy. The drummer I'm working with for the chart doesn't like the GHVH cut, so we're torn between multitrack and GHVH cut or not multitrack and a better cut. I think I've convinced him to start with the GHVH cut and he can do the (Vault Edition) afterward if he still feels the same way.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Since I was to busy to make a release trailer for Rain like my other songs, I took a gameplay video and I figured I'll link it here for people without drumsets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__zeAbOlipk

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Am I missing something or is the new way the Rock Band Harmonies Project works a huge pain in the rear end, and unnecessarily so?

vv Fair enough. Guess I'll just suck it up!

Macavity fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 12, 2013

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm sure it makes it easier for espher since now he doesn't have to worry about updating all of the pre-fab packages whenever a song is added/updated and users can make a package of only what they need. I'm willing to meet him halfway on this one considering he's doing almost all of the actual charting that I sure as gently caress couldn't do.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It also has the nice side-effect of allowing me to piggyback my own library tweaks onto any song that's already covered by the project. I've been messing around with those RBHP .dta files to remove extraneous labels that don't matter outside of the music store (like "Original Version" after "Run To The Hills"); or change the "unrated" song rating on a bunch of RBN songs; stuff like that. For everything else I can create my own .dta files to gimmick the cache, but it's easier when the RPHP folders save me a few steps.

Man, it feels so good to pull this sort of thing off without modding the console. :)

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

It's mostly thanks to Harmonix, since they had to write an incredibly robust engine so that it jives with all the old song formats, dlc, exports, etc. The idea of "I can mod in whatever I want, and the program will work with it" is a pipe dream unless you're talking about really good programmers.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Out of Curiousity, what version of Real Love are you using for the Real Love custom, Orange? The one from Anthology 2 or the speed corrected version from the Now and Then bootleg

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
My wired P-Bass controller developed a serious fray in the cord just past the rubber protector and no amount of duct tape could fix it reliably, so I got a new-in-box wireless bass (in seafoam green :3: ) from Amazon. One of the strum bars has a reversed input which doesn't matter when you're playing, but it makes navigating menus confusing. The other strum bar works as intended so I'm not sending it back or anything, but has anyone else ever had this problem? It's the first weird guitar controller I've had out of, um, eight.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That's normal. On the original, if you were going fast enough your second strum would drop because you would be trying to press "up" while holding "up". By inverting one of the halves, now you'll be pressing "up" while holding "down" (or vice versa), which the game can register. Just use the the half that's furthest from the neck (IIRC that's the normal one) when navigating and you'll be fine.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

bpc908 posted:

Out of Curiousity, what version of Real Love are you using for the Real Love custom, Orange? The one from Anthology 2 or the speed corrected version from the Now and Then bootleg

The Anthology 2 version. I don't know why you'd use a bootleg for anything unless it has multitracks available. Multitrack bootlegs exist for some Beatles concerts and I have considered tracking one down for a true multitrack version of "She Loves You" since that song is too loud and busy for the mono original to work with my software.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

whypick1 posted:

That's normal. On the original, if you were going fast enough your second strum would drop because you would be trying to press "up" while holding "up".

Well, I'll be damned. I'd stuck to alt-strumming sixteenths on the old bass because I didn't seem to be quick enough alternating, which was frustrating. Now I know why. Gonna be flying once I break the new one in. Thanks, Madcatz!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Orange Harrison posted:

The Anthology 2 version. I don't know why you'd use a bootleg for anything unless it has multitracks available. Multitrack bootlegs exist for some Beatles concerts and I have considered tracking one down for a true multitrack version of "She Loves You" since that song is too loud and busy for the mono original to work with my software.

I only say this because the Anthology 2 version kind of messes with the pitch and speed of John's Original vocals for the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMBtta_PqM&t=264s

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

Orange Harrison posted:

• Open Enter Sandman in Lefluffie, look at its contents, find and extract the songs.dta file to anywhere on your computer.
  • Edit the songs.dta in notepad.
  • Set song_scroll_speed to "2300" (the default value) and save it
  • Back in lefluffie right click on the old songs.dta you extracted and choose "replace" and replace it with the modified one.
  • Be sure to go back to the main tab and hit "recompile"/"rebuild" and wait 30 seconds or else your file will become corrupt
  • You just modified a CON!
Done. Thanks! It's an awesome feeling.

Orange Harrison posted:

For Any Way You Want it, we'd need more information. It could be whoever ported it forgot to use the venue track of the midi. Though if they tried to change the song source to RB2 like the official songs, that would also break venue animation. See what the song_source is in its dta.
It's "ugc_plus".

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

"Ugh_plus" is the RBN2.0 (only 100% working customs) source, so venues should be working if they were added to the song. It's possible whoever made the file didn't see fit to copy over the venue track.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there limitations on what type of songs can be included in the same .dta file? I've consolidated different categories of songs, but it's still amounting to about 16 con files, which is annoying to move around when I end up doing a cache rebuild. If I could maintain a single .dta, and just add to it when I want to change something, that would be great.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Are there limitations on what type of songs can be included in the same .dta file? I've consolidated different categories of songs, but it's still amounting to about 16 con files, which is annoying to move around when I end up doing a cache rebuild. If I could maintain a single .dta, and just add to it when I want to change something, that would be great.

I don't think so. The official export packages (RB2 export, etc.) are all one big DTA.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

I don't think so. The official export packages (RB2 export, etc.) are all one big DTA.
I just tried dumping everything in one huge .dta, and yup, everything loaded up fine. Thanks!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I am probably a few years behind, but when was "Rock n Roll Star" removed from the store?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Orange Harrison posted:

I am probably a few years behind, but when was "Rock n Roll Star" removed from the store?

I think it was a casualty of the unexported Euro exclusive RB2 tracks, like Heir Kommt Alex.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Orgophlax posted:

I think it was a casualty of the unexported Euro exclusive RB2 tracks, like Heir Kommt Alex.

Is there a way to get these back by the way? Besides plugging in rock band 2? :(

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm guessing they can probably be repacked as a custom, though I don't really know how any of that works.

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

I'm guessing they can probably be repacked as a custom, though I don't really know how any of that works.
Confirmed: I have both songs as customs.

The week after DLC dried up I "re-released" the RB1 and RB2 songs that had been revoked over the years. It made for a very satisfying trip down memory lane. :3:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

[Deleted for hurt feelings]

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 16, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I think it'd be worthwhile to toss individual credits (like the ones listened on the release posts) into the database as well. So we can know which Pro Guitar charts are his or just know who did what in a song in general.

The T fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's probably better to just ignore custom Pro Guitar charts period. I mean, if most of them are just some guy googling guitar tabs without putting in the work to correct or playtest anything to get it right, then I say cut out the middle man and find the guitar tabs yourself. They're not hugely difficult to read if you're playing Pro Guitar already, so outside of just really wanting to play more Pro Guitar in Rock Band I think it's easier and more worthwhile to look up and learn the tabs yourself. Or get Rocksmith.

• Locked thread