Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Mighty Horse posted:

Got sick of the lovely job the PO did hacking up the stock bezel in my Magnum and the GIANT resulting blankness from the original din and a half radio, so I found a navigation bezel and went double din.

Actually had no idea that Bluetooth supported song titles now, which makes google music much more usable in the car. Radio has also awesome pandora support for Android, its too bad its only Pandora and not Slacker or Spotify.

How do you like your magnum? I am interested in getting one because I really want a rwd wagon. 2.7, 3.5, 5.7 or 6.1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Do you have any before pictures? Either way that looks really sharp, good job! I've been toying with the idea of going double-DIN myself but I'm cheap...

I didn't take any before pics because I Was so pissed of at it, but I found this pic.

Which while looking lovely, still was better than the monkey-gently caress-job that was in my car.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

How do you like your magnum? I am interested in getting one because I really want a rwd wagon. 2.7, 3.5, 5.7 or 6.1?

Really happy with it. I got the 3.5L as the only V8s around were out of the price range I wanted to spend or had way too many miles on them. I bike a lot and wanted something I could throw my bike in without having to futz around with a carrier or worry about it getting screwed with at the parking lot at work. It's pretty comfortable and getting pretty decent MPG for a big car. I'd recommend getting one with leather, I really hate the fabric on the cloth seats. If you are used to a small sporty road-hugger, you might be a bit put off with the handling, but I like big cars and am very happy with it.

Rear visibility sucks, and was made worse by the PO tinting the rear windows, which does look fantastic, so I have a backup camera module for the radio on its way as well.

My only real complaint other than backing up, is being a bit of a tinkerer and this is my most modern car to date, I am annoyed that you can't just simply swap some modules around from junkyard cars to get some of the higher-end features. My old 300m had the full EVIC trip computer, steering wheel controls, auto headlights and auto climate, but if I had say, an Intrepid without it, I could go pillage a car at the junk yard and swap in the modules and a little wiring.

In the Mag, EVERYTHING runs through CANBUS, so even a radio swap can be a pain in the rear end. People have been successful at adding things like steering wheel controls and EVIC, but you need to know a guy who knows a guy to get your car's vin updated with new codes and whisper "the dog runs at midnight" while meeting in a poorly lit alley to get the car flashed for anything new.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 13, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

More layers and putty 3 by Execudork, on Flickr
Putty.

The POR-15 kit comes with epoxy putty, which is actually really nice to work with. It's water based so clean-up is easy, you don't need to wear gloves (just wash up well afterwards, of course), and keeping it soft and pliable is just a matter of keeping your fingers wet. It says it cures in as little as an hour; I'll get started on the sanding tomorrow morning, I think.

Holy crap what did you put that on there with? An edging shovel?

That's gonna be miserable to sand and looks like you're going to have a ton of low spots.

You will need a long board sander to unfuck that. Don't even try with anything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motronic posted:

Holy crap what did you put that on there with? An edging shovel?

That's gonna be miserable to sand and looks like you're going to have a ton of low spots.

You will need a long board sander to unfuck that. Don't even try with anything else.

I figured he used a butterknife. When my buddy started fixing the rust repair a previous owner had done he discover a huge section of the rear quarter had been repaired with expanding foam covered in a very thin layer of bondo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've seen body repair done with chicken wire and cement.

On that scale, ExecuDork's putty job doesn't even rank.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Solved the mystery of the non-running Allante. 4 of the 8 rebuilt injectors aren't pulsing. 3 on the rear bank, 1 on the front bank. Moved them around to confirm it wasn't an installation error.

4 new rebuilt ones on the way.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mighty Horse posted:

Rear visibility sucks, and was made worse by the PO tinting the rear windows, which does look fantastic, so I have a backup camera module for the radio on its way as well.

They all come from the factory with tinted rear windows...

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Got the newly made exhaust manifold coated, made a downpipe, exhaust manifold support, heat shields for the master cylinders, brake lines, throttle cable, intake support etc. The new ecu just fits in the space for the the original fuel injection ecu.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kill me now posted:

They all come from the factory with tinted rear windows...

Yeah I know, but they added a layer. Its limo-dark.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

I've seen body repair done with chicken wire and cement.

On that scale, ExecuDork's putty job doesn't even rank.
I have no experience and no skill at this kind of thing. I'm learning at a ferocious rate!

Seriously, I used my thumb. And a little plastic roller that I had lying around. I started sanding this morning and yes, I have many low spots. I also have more putty!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I have no experience and no skill at this kind of thing. I'm learning at a ferocious rate!

Seriously, I used my thumb. And a little plastic roller that I had lying around. I started sanding this morning and yes, I have many low spots. I also have more putty!

OK....sand it out. With a long board sander. Use some paint dusted on the work, and then sand. You'll see the low spots. Get all the high spots knocked off.

Then go buy a proper set of scrapers so you can fill in the low spots without making a mess of it again. You still have a chance at pulling this off reasonably.

But you really should have found a junk panel to practice on first.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Motronic posted:

But you really should have found a junk panel to practice on first.

I think he did :rimshot:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Started doing some cosmetic stuff on the truck. First up are the wipers, the inspiration for this project, because they looked like this:

Some FrozenPhil approved 80 gritTM and rustoleum later, BLAAAAAAAAAAAACK:

I also blacked out the stock chrome trim around the taillight housings, because it looked goofy as gently caress. Stock photo because I didn't take a before shot of my own:

Tossed the tails back on to run some errands while the primer coat was drying, immediately knew I made the right choice:

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK:

(Bonus Torx socket which I just now noticed)

Looking at it now, I may tint the read plastic around the reverse lights to match the tailgate stripe, we will see.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Mighty Horse posted:

Really happy with it.

Sounds awesome. Just by looking at one I figured it would be hard to see out of, like the new camaro. I also bike a lot which is another reason for a wagon plus I can toss a futon mattress in it and sleep between shifts or when camping. I'm going to start trolling through Kijiji for them, thanks.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Ordered Bilstein HD struts and a control arm for the Mazdaspeed 6 followed by a complete interior and exterior detail to remove an entire winter of dog hair.

Should have worn sun screen. So burned now

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I filled in as many of the low spots as I could. I have a scaper but I couldn't figure out how to use it to smooth out the putty. This epoxy putty is really firm, like modelling clay, and the scraper just broke it up and rolled it across the surface. I just tried to be more careful and take my time with my fingers, seems to have worked at least half-decently.
Then I let it cure for an hour - the epoxy putty packaging claims it only takes that long under good conditions.
Then sanding. Sanding. Oh, such fun is sanding. But the remaining low spots are shallow and there are no high spots. The beer in my hand is telling me it's good enough, but I'll go look at it again in an hour or so.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
New pads on the wifes car. Did the job in the street, set a record time on the driver side.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Learned how to use a Hunter Auto 34 machine. Holy poo poo, this is the best machine for tire mounting. These wheels have an abnormally small drop center but this handled it like butter. Once I figured it out, anyway. The guys at the shop hadn't been trained very well, apparently--they weren't confident and tore the bead a bit on the first rear tire. Not sure if they were happy about an IT guy coming in and showing them how to use it. Luckily it was where I'd worked years ago and I knew the guys, and my best friend is a service writer there. These are 275/30 R19, 245/35 R19 Hankook Ventus V12, 2006 Mercedes-Benz S65 wheels sprayed in bronze. Not sure about the color, it has a ton of flake in it when the sun hits but is a bit dull in the shade.

Guess I need to get the centercaps on there too.

The old tires were worn a bit--

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Front license plate air intake. My intake looks like this, so this'll feed air right to it. The sides came open from the factory, so all I'm really doing is adding a center channel of air right to the intake.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Had to have my parking brake adjuster stud chucked in the lathe and filed back I to shape since the shop at work didn't have an m8 die.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

About to do both axles since they're clicking like castanets, I'll make sure to post in the horrible mechanical failures thread should any Tusen Takkisms occur :v:.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

About to do both axles since they're clicking like castanets, I'll make sure to post in the horrible mechanical failures thread should any Tusen Takkisms occur :v:.

Don't you drive some kind of Honda? If you're doing both at once, you need to check the engine mounts, then the bushings in your control arms. If that stuff isn't all straight, it will just munch up your CV joints again in a few months.

Edit:VV similar problems, probably less poo poo to check (I'm assuming McPherson struts on the Saturn vs. double-wishbone on the Hondas/Acuras I've worked on)

EightBit fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 15, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Don't worry, he has a Saturn.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

EightBit posted:

Don't you drive some kind of Honda? If you're doing both at once, you need to check the engine mounts, then the bushings in your control arms. If that stuff isn't all straight, it will just munch up your CV joints again in a few months.

Edit:VV similar problems, probably less poo poo to check (I'm assuming McPherson struts on the Saturn vs. double-wishbone on the Hondas/Acuras I've worked on)

Yeah they're McPherson, so far so good, the boot closest to the diff has self-vacuum compressed itself so that it's slightly inside out on top, but otherwise everything has been pretty smooth. I didn't get a head-start on it like I wanted mostly due to an insatiable craving for kebabs, so I'm just finishing the driver side right now :gbsmith:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

dangerz posted:

Front license plate air intake. My intake looks like this, so this'll feed air right to it. The sides came open from the factory, so all I'm really doing is adding a center channel of air right to the intake.

Hey that's neat! You ought to paint the grilles black.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Put the B&B bullets on yesterday. Will have to slightly adjust the tips so they're 100% level but I'll do that when I have to jack the car up to retighten everything after a few hundred miles.

I am all sorts of happy with the way it sounds. I missed having an obnoxiously loud v8 after trading in the SRT8 with SLP Loutmouth II's on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyUTKL5e3R0:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Also looks like this things not gonna see Limerock unless I can catch an unmuffled day :smuggo:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ordered a head unit for the 929, new wiper blades and the steering wheel was gross so I bought a cover for that. Did a bit of clean up but most of that will have to wait until Sunday. Hit up the used tire guy but he only had two in stock so gotta wait for two more.

Edit: Also registered it so totally road legal now.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 16, 2013

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

MrSaturn posted:

Hey that's neat! You ought to paint the grilles black.
That's the plan, but haven't had time. The previous owner really messed up the drivers side screen, so I want to just replace that one. Fortunately they're not too expensive (compared to other parts).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Okay so everything went great with the axles~

My fiancee's feet are sexy

Then I went to drain the old fluid and put in the new fluid.

To be expected from a brand new transmission, and I've seen worse on other people's cars.

Finally I got around to fixing the clutch pedal that was causing me to think my clutch master cylinder was hosed up by replacing the bushing that the rod snaps into. When I took it out, a giant pile of powder dropped down and this is all that's left of the unit.

Apparently you have to replace the entire clutch master cylinder to fix the rod :kratos:. Why they didn't make the ball a different unit that screws onto the rod is beyond me but by god I will figure out how to fix this and replace everything with metal parts that won't wear down and break in a year or two. gently caress GM and their lovely plastic parts (and cars).

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 17, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I put the front axle shafts back in, put the brakes back together, and drove the races into the hub. If my seals had come in today I would have mounted the drums and left fluid work for tomorrow but it'll wait I guess. I had intended to overhaul the rear wheels but that's really going to have to wait. This project wore me out and I want to drive again.

Tomorrow I bleed and mount the master cylinder, hook up hoses, remount the drums, and prepare to bleed on Saturday. That's provided I can find a leg to help.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

You don't have any shoes on but are wearing knee pads. You are just confirming your complete retardation.

I'm sorry IOC, do what you must here.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

• no shoes, but kneepads :psyduck:
  • lovely jackstand with small base
  • hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure you didn't put a tire under the car in case the lovely jackstand fell
  • and if you didn't thoroughly check your engine mounts, bushings, and ball joints while at it you'll be doing this again in less than a year

Tusen Takk posted:

Finally I got around to fixing the clutch pedal that was causing me to think my clutch master cylinder was hosed up by replacing the bushing that the rod snaps into. When I took it out, a giant pile of powder dropped down and this is all that's left of the unit.

Apparently you have to replace the entire clutch master cylinder to fix the rod :kratos:. Why they didn't make the ball a different unit that screws onto the rod is beyond me but by god I will figure out how to fix this and replace everything with metal parts that won't wear down and break in a year or two. gently caress GM and their lovely plastic parts (and cars).

You don't need an adjustable master cylinder, just one with a metal ball. I wonder if the uprated pressure plate on your "stage 2" clutch contributed to this failure :laugh:? Be sure to put a blob of bearing grease in the divot in the release fork when you reassemble.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Motronic posted:

You don't have any shoes on but are wearing knee pads. You are just confirming your complete retardation.

I'm sorry IOC, do what you must here.

I have bad knees and couldn't find the boogie board that I usually use. Stop assuming the worst about everything :jerkbag:

EightBit posted:

• no shoes, but kneepads :psyduck:
  • lovely jackstand with small base
  • hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure you didn't put a tire under the car in case the lovely jackstand fell
  • and if you didn't thoroughly check your engine mounts, bushings, and ball joints while at it you'll be doing this again in less than a year

You don't need an adjustable master cylinder, just one with a metal ball. I wonder if the uprated pressure plate on your "stage 2" clutch contributed to this failure :laugh:? Be sure to put a blob of bearing grease in the divot in the release fork when you reassemble.
The tire is hiding behind me, and it had actually been doing this since I bought it. The jackstand was one of three plus the jack too so :shrug:. Good advise though! I did do all the mount stuff and as was suggested and it was all in all, pretty easy. The Synchromax I used has the shifts feeling amazing and I rather like the car a bit more thanks to it.

As for the bare feet, I have no excuse :negative:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 17, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

I have bad knees and couldn't find the boogie board that I usually use. Stop assuming the worst about everything :jerkbag:

What the hell does that have to do about not wearing shoes while your feet are under a car that has been lifted improperly as you work on it?

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN
Ah, nothing like euphemistic 'concern for other people's safety' to make you feel entitled to bitch about silly stuff. Saving the world from falling 3000lb objects one flimsy fabric foot-covering at a time!

I finished lowering and lug-swapping and brake-upgrading my lebaron just in time to take my mom on a little trip for mother's day in it. I upgraded the front brakes from 9" rotors to 10.25", the rear brakes from 8" drum to 10.5" disc, and changed the bolt pattern from 4x100 to 5x100. I used the complete front struts out of my 95 neon (which gets upgrade..), the rear cut+spacered cargo coils from my last dynasty, the front brakes from my 90 dynasty (which got upgraded..) and the rear brakes from an 89 daytona (which got scrapped). I also ended up replacing the k-frame, control arms, steering rack, and inner tie rods. The tires are 205/50/15. I need to get some bolts for the center caps.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

That's pretty clean, is the interior in as good of shape as the exterior?

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Batman:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Maybe wrap some tape on those sockets, shrapnel in eyes/feet is not much fun.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vigo327 posted:

Ah, nothing like euphemistic 'concern for other people's safety' to make you feel entitled to bitch about silly stuff. Saving the world from falling 3000lb objects one flimsy fabric foot-covering at a time!

I finished lowering and lug-swapping and brake-upgrading my lebaron just in time to take my mom on a little trip for mother's day in it. I upgraded the front brakes from 9" rotors to 10.25", the rear brakes from 8" drum to 10.5" disc, and changed the bolt pattern from 4x100 to 5x100. I used the complete front struts out of my 95 neon (which gets upgrade..), the rear cut+spacered cargo coils from my last dynasty, the front brakes from my 90 dynasty (which got upgraded..) and the rear brakes from an 89 daytona (which got scrapped). I also ended up replacing the k-frame, control arms, steering rack, and inner tie rods. The tires are 205/50/15. I need to get some bolts for the center caps.

You also apparently repainted the lower body color at some point. Looks better all dark brown, and much better with the lowering and wheels. I never could stand Chrysler fake wire caps, though theirs were some of the better ones. They definitely didn't translate well to the tiny wheels on the k-cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sure as hell didn't learn how to switch between vac/pump on a mityvac before giving up in frustration.