Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Brink was a great game with a very cool art style, beautiful settings and intuitive teamwork. It's too bad that the game was so glitchy and poorly supported at launch.

I have to second this. Brink was so drat fun when it (rarely) worked and had so much going for it. Then it crashed and burned so hard. I'm legitimately sad whenever xbox live recommends it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
You know what? I'm going to throw another one up here: Calling for the Wii. I'm a huge horror fan, and there was just something about Calling. I think it was all the creepy-as-poo poo messages the game would send to your console's Message Board as you advanced.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't know how that's possible given the fact that Skyward Sword exists.

In light of this, I guess I have to say Skyward Sword is my favorite poorly-received game. I just had a big grin on my face for almost every minute of it. It wasn't perfect, of course, but the entire thing brought about the same kind of wonder I felt back when I first played Ocarina of Time. I'd even maybe go so far as to say it's my favorite Zelda.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Nier.

I loved the game, it was just a completely different experience then I was expecting and it blew me away. At first it seems like your usual 3rd person RPG with really boring mechanics and bad guys that just won't die no matter what you do. Then the game ramps it up a little and it feels like Monster Hunter, your hitting bad guys that just won't die to get items, and the entire game is about timing and figuring out when you should dodge, and when you should attack. THEN THE GAME RAMPS IT UP AGAIIIIN!!!!! And it becomes a giant loving crazy as gently caress bullet hell rpg crazy MonsterHunter Clone with loving giant monsters and a horrible horrible truth that you just slowly let dawn on you and oh my god holy poo poo your such a bad person BUT GIANT loving BULLETS AND MONSTERS AND RAAAAAAAAGH

That's why I like Nier.

yuza
Apr 26, 2007
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Dragon Age II is my favorite video game and I'm still convinced a lot of people didn't "get" its (probably largely unintentional) genius. It's a blisteringly hilarious takedown of the entire genre. Your friends (with maybe two exceptions) are all blatant fuckups, helping them fucks up everything even more (to the point of... mass murder. Repeatedly.), and all your rewards and fame and reputation and whatnot are based entirely around solving problems that you and your friends DIRECTLY caused. You're guaranteed to get one of your siblings killed, often two, your mom killed, and start a war. And that's your baseline. Helping your friends and trying to get your countrymen employed will only add to the blood on your hands. Oh, and the only people you can become romantically entangled with are completely broken and your best friend will flat-out tell you that getting involved with any of them is a terrible decision. It's loving awesome and I don't get why other people don't revel in it like I do.

What I love most is the takeaway message to the player that your fantasy of being a hero is deluded and honestly if you were "transported" to a fantasy land like this you'd ruin everyone's lives.

Oh, and every time I find Torn Trousers or the Moth-Eaten Scarf in the very final areas of the game I just laugh and laugh and laugh. How hilarious is it that loot doesn't level? Honestly, I love it, because it's so annoyingly realistic.

...I think I need to get Dragon Age II.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I really, really like Clive Barker's Jericho but it was pretty poorly received. I never played Undying so maybe I just had low expectations, but it was a fun shooter with unique powers, good graphics, cool monsters, and the ability to switch between squadmates on the fly. It had some flaws, but it didn't stop me from having fun.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Barent posted:

I really, really like Clive Barker's Jericho but it was pretty poorly received. I never played Undying so maybe I just had low expectations, but it was a fun shooter with unique powers, good graphics, cool monsters, and the ability to switch between squadmates on the fly. It had some flaws, but it didn't stop me from having fun.

I would have genuinely enjoyed Jericho as well if it weren't for the fact that almost every single enemy was an enormous bullet-sponge.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jericho was actually really good once you get the hang of it of the die-revive cycle of combat, realise there were only three characters really worth using and start to acclimatise to just how stupid and entertaining the plot is. Which is now I think about are some fairly serious downsides but whatever I loved that game

Pick posted:

Dragon Age II is my favorite video game and I'm still convinced a lot of people didn't "get" its (probably largely unintentional) genius. It's a blisteringly hilarious takedown of the entire genre. Your friends (with maybe two exceptions) are all blatant fuckups, helping them fucks up everything even more (to the point of... mass murder. Repeatedly.), and all your rewards and fame and reputation and whatnot are based entirely around solving problems that you and your friends DIRECTLY caused. You're guaranteed to get one of your siblings killed, often two, your mom killed, and start a war. And that's your baseline. Helping your friends and trying to get your countrymen employed will only add to the blood on your hands. Oh, and the only people you can become romantically entangled with are completely broken and your best friend will flat-out tell you that getting involved with any of them is a terrible decision. It's loving awesome and I don't get why other people don't revel in it like I do.

What I love most is the takeaway message to the player that your fantasy of being a hero is deluded and honestly if you were "transported" to a fantasy land like this you'd ruin everyone's lives.

Oh, and every time I find Torn Trousers or the Moth-Eaten Scarf in the very final areas of the game I just laugh and laugh and laugh. How hilarious is it that loot doesn't level? Honestly, I love it, because it's so annoyingly realistic.

This is also a really good summary of why I liked DA2 as much as I did. Everyone is just terrible, all the time.

XMD 5a
Aug 28, 2011

money is flesh
Going to second both Drakengard and Nier. The former is amazingly screwed up in ways that no other game will ever match and the latter is pretty much a work of art. RIP Cavia :(

My wife and I both had a ton of fun with Rise of the Argonauts. Sure it is short, easy and a little bit janky graphics-wise, but it scratched the same itch most Bioware titles do for me.

If we're talking poorly received by the fanbase, then Final Fantasy XII wins easily. Possibly my all-time favourite game.

Reive
May 21, 2009

XMD 5a posted:

Going to second both Drakengard and Nier. The former is amazingly screwed up in ways that no other game will ever match and the latter is pretty much a work of art. RIP Cavia :(

My wife and I both had a ton of fun with Rise of the Argonauts. Sure it is short, easy and a little bit janky graphics-wise, but it scratched the same itch most Bioware titles do for me.

If we're talking poorly received by the fanbase, then Final Fantasy XII wins easily. Possibly my all-time favourite game.
:ssh: They're making a Drakengard 3 (well Cavia members at a different studio), also I agree, not the funnest game in the world but it was way more enjoyable than like an actual Dynasty Warriors game, phenomenal voice work and music too.

I really enjoy the Prototype games, I think the gameplay is perfect but it could have had way better mission designs, so much potential, too bad there will likely never be another one.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

XMD 5a posted:

You do know a Drakengard 3 is in the works right? :beaten:
Seconding FFXII, not my favorite Final Fantasy game, but I enjoyed it. It's like a love-letter to Final Fantasy II.
Also, were Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword really not well received? I though they were great - though TP wins over Skyward in my opinion. Mainly because TP had a lot more interaction with people, going through town as a wolf is priceless, getting dumbstruck when you first step into malo-mart, the western styled shoot-out segment, there's just so many great moments in it that's hidden among the darker and edgier feel they were going for.

This is a gamble here, since I don't know how received it was but I've never heard from anyone else whose played it, nor have I hear a mention of it - Dark Sector. One of my first Xbox 360 games and actually had some really scary and uneasy moments in it. Also controlling a flying glaive as it chases hapless people around is really entertaining.

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
Wanted: Weapons of Fate

Takes place after the movie. Played through the demo a couple times and liked it enough to buy it. Went 1000/1000 on 360, which admittedly wasn't that hard to do. 3rd person cover based shooter that was just plain fun. Bullet time + curvy bullets - it never got old upper cutting a guy in the nads or chin with a bullet, especially when it automatically goes into slow-mo and follows it the whole way. Also incredibly satisfying positioning yourself in a room full of guys and taking 3-4 four of them out with one shot.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Teavian posted:

Also, I still believe the GBA port of Crystalis to be the superior version.

Draw your sword, sir.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'll put another vote in for Twilight Princess, the only thing I would really knock the game for is having a pretty slow and boring start even by 3D Zelda standards. Hell, I kind of want to boot it for a new playthrough now...

It's not really poorly received like other games in this thread, but Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones is generally regarded as the most boring and uninspired game of the series, if not the worst. I love it though because, after having so much trouble with other games in the series, it was the ultimate revenge fantasy for me. Nearly every unit in the game is a great unit by series standards, and with the map system that lets you replay certain missions you have a theoretically infinite amount of experience. Combine that with some easy RNG tricks that can lead you to infinite money and you can have an army full of tricked-out characters with max stats and bulldoze everything in your path :allears:

There will always be a spot in my heart for Two Worlds as well. It has everything a proper open-world game has and none of the quality that binds those things together, which in a weird way makes it a better sandbox game due to being able to experiment with the broken systems. You could also become unkillable after a small time investment and hardly had any sort of penalty for dying, so there's no consequences for loving around, except locking yourself into/out of questlines. But who cares? Since the plot is so terrible and the characters so goofy, I never felt compelled to prioritize them, so I spent all my time just exploring the world and finding all of the cool, context-free setpieces like giant necromancer towers or ruined towns in the mountains. It truly felt like a sandbox- all the materials you need to make your own adventures are right there, yet no work has been done to shape them or influence you in any meaningful way with pre-established context or motive. I don't think I put more time into any other 3D RPG or sandbox game besides Morrowind, and I recommend Two Worlds to anyone who asks (on PC, at least)

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 02:02 on May 14, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crane Fist posted:

This is also a really good summary of why I liked DA2 as much as I did. Everyone is just terrible, all the time.

I love the fact that if you want to minimize the damage you do, you will loving stay home. Hawke is basically a superpowered Mr. Magoo.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Borderlands - gently caress all haters. I love the cell shaded graphics, the world they made with Pandora, the writing, and the music. Especially the music. Borderland's soundtrack is part of my work music playlist, it's just so good.

Alpha Protocol - Nerds and critics are dumb, seriously. I loved every minute of Alpha Protocol.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I went on a cop game bender a while back, and was surprised to find that the NARC reboot was way better than it ever got credit for. It's pretty much Max Payne turned into an absurdist black comedy about the dangers of drug use. One of the first mission objectives you get is "Smoke the pot or don't. It's up to you." and not long after that I was sprinting down city blocks at the speed of sound (speed gives you super-speed) shooting giant-headed devil men (I was on LSD) with a machine gun as big as I was (standard DEA issue).

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Borderlands - gently caress all haters. I love the cell shaded graphics, the world they made with Pandora, the writing, and the music. Especially the music. Borderland's soundtrack is part of my work music playlist, it's just so good.

Alpha Protocol - Nerds and critics are dumb, seriously. I loved every minute of Alpha Protocol.

:confused: everyone loves Borderlands...

Mine is probably the Fable games. All of them; I thought they were all fantastically well done despite some people feeling let down by the "hype", whatever that was.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

C-Euro posted:

There will always be a spot in my heart for Two Worlds as well. It has everything a proper open-world game has and none of the quality that binds those things together, which in a weird way makes it a better sandbox game due to being able to experiment with the broken systems, and becoming unkillable after a small time investment (and hardly any sort of penalty for dying!). Since the plot is so terrible I never felt compelled to prioritize it, so I spent all my time just exploring the world and finding all of the cool, context-free setpieces like giant necromancer towers or ruined towns in the mountains. It truly felt like a sandbox- all the materials you need to make your own adventures are right there, yet no work has been done to shape them or influence your choices in any meaningful way with pre-established context. I don't think I put more time into any other 3D RPG or sandbox game besides Morrowind, and I recommend Two Worlds to anyone who asks (on PC, at least)

This, 400 times this. And the cities actually had size, there were people in the cities, instead of just a handful of shopkeeps and questgivers. There was a market district in the city that was chock full of worthless shopkeepers with worthless wares. People loving everywhere. I was beginning to think that in the worlds of RPG-land if you didn't have a family heirloom lost in a dungeon, or were a sword seller guy you were conscripted into a life as a bandit who guarded a cave containing a family heirloom. I loved the cheesy voiceovers, the magic system, everything. It reminded me of Daggerfall, buggy, ugly, and big. I like em large.

Can I mention Daggerfall too? I spent hours and hours playing that game and I never even tried the main story quest. I just ran around until I got stuck then made a new guy and ran around until I got stuck. killing paperdolls in paperdoll dungeons.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Enter the Matrix but only with cheats. Without cheats it's kind of terrible, with cheats you are basically Neo all the time and it's awesome.

Except for the driving parts.

gently caress the driving parts.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
For me, it's NBA Hangtime for the Nintendo 64. It's the spiritual successor to NBA Jam, made by the same company (Midway) and using the same core gameplay, but somehow nobody gets all nostalgic for it like they do with Jam, to the point where people don't even know it exists. Friends who are diehard Jam fans look at me funny when I try to join in and talk about Hangtime, to the point where they deny that even if it does exist, it couldn't have been made by the same company because WHY NOT CALL IT JAM? :goonsay: That, and it gets consistently average to below-average reviews on Gamespot and other publications that existed when the N64 was around.

gently caress 'em. I've sunk more hours into that game alone than probably any other game I've played, and it's still by far the most fun I've had playing a basketball video game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I don't remember Borderlands really being poorly received except maybe by people who go into a frothing rage whenever a game doesn't take itself super seriously. I admit I didn't follow the first one that closely, but it seemed pretty well liked considering how highly anticipated the sequel was before release.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kimmalah posted:

I don't remember Borderlands really being poorly received except maybe by people who go into a frothing rage whenever a game doesn't take itself super seriously. I admit I didn't follow the first one that closely, but it seemed pretty well liked considering how highly anticipated the sequel was before release.

For some reason, cel shading's like this horrible taboo. Every time it rears its ugly head, people seem to get into this venomous froth about how terrible it is. I have never understood it, I've always thought it looks cool.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I was a big fan of GUNMETAL for the XBOX.

It was a sweet game where you played as a mech that could turn into a jet. You could fly or run around blowing poo poo up. Objectives were pretty standard "Defend this!" "destroy that!" affairs, but you were given lots of freedom as to how to accomplish them. Want to be a jet the whole time and dispense death from above? Go for it. Want to march in and make things a little more personal? Good luck buddy! Each mission was preceded by a briefing screen with a map of the upcoming area, including locations of objectives and general info on what sorts of threats to expect. Choose your loadout, and off you go!

Missions varied in difficulty, but were never unfair or impossible. Something about it just felt so legitimately Military. Escorting convoys, destroying enemy infrastructure, turning the tide of a pitched battle.

I thought it was a lot of fun, if a bit unpolished. If it had gotten a sequel I have no doubt it would have been great. I don't know if it was "poorly-received" per se, but no one I've ever talked to has even heard of it so I can't imagine it was a big deal.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Paraworld is this awesomely cheesy German-import RTS with a unique gimmick and a botched dub. The whole game is a giant riff on Pellucidar and other "humans and dinos" pulpy goodness. The game is divided AoE style into "Ages", or tech-levels or whatever the game called them, and you're only allowed so many units from each "age", so tactics stay important and you can't just steamroll your opponent with a massive force.

As for the dub, the biggest thing I remember is that there's this one guy who looks like Wolverine, and I'm guessing what happened is that the script called for him to be really American. The voice actor has this super-gruff, manly baritone; but the script has him speaking in surfer lingo, so you get what sounds like Christian Bale's Batman voice imploring his caveman friends to "Help me stop the guys who kidnapped my bros!"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Might get a poo poo ton of flack for this, but...

Civilization: Call to Power.

The UI was a clunky mess, and it did some weird things (it didn't re-use any of the wonders from Civ I and II, for some reason,) but I enjoyed it a lot and played it extensively.

Things I really liked about it:
Public Works.
Rather than make workers to laboriously toil in the fields to make tile improvements, you diverted a certain percentage of your total production into a "Public Works" fund that you used to build upgrades. Advantages were the number of upgrades you can build at once is just limited to how much in in your PW fund.

The Future
There was a lot of tech/city improvements/wonders/units/etc... from "the future." Techs that we can sort of predict we'll discover/get better at (bioengineering, cold fusion, nanotech, etc...) to make poo poo like an AI controlled technocracy, hover tanks, city-sized leviathans, underwater and space colonies, etc...

The best part was I was good at it. I could do Civ I on higher levels, but I sucked at Civ II at anything above Prince, and I wasn't great at Prince. But Call to Power I cold dominate at most levels. WHen I played Civ III and Civ IV when they came out, I sucked again (more at IV than III.)

Thankfully, Civ V is really good, and I'm pretty good at it (I mostly attribute this to the re-designed military. No more 20-30 unit deep "stacks of death" like in Civ IV.)

I never played Call to Power 2, though, since it came out right before Civ III, because it lost the rights to the Civilization name, IIRC.

It looks like only CtP2 is available to buy legally, now...probably because of that right's issue.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Could we maybe make it a thread rule that a game actually needs to be poorly received to be mentioned here? Like half of the games that posters have mentioned thus far have an 80% or higher rating on Metacritic. Otherwise, it'll just be page after page of, "I really liked Bioshock! That game was poorly received, right?"

To contribute, I'll mention one of my favorite PC games of all time: Rune and it's expansion pack (75% and 61% on Metacritic, respectively). Specifically, for the batshit insane multiplayer. No other game allows you to slice off your opponent's arm with a giant axe, pick up that arm, and beat them to death with it.

Also, the single-player is a surprisingly decent romp through a well-realized Viking-mythology setting.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I had a surprising amount of fun with 24:The game. The gameplay could probably charitably described as "functional", it was pretty basic 3rd person shooting with an early cover system. But it really nailed the 24 feel, with splitscreens and all the TV cast reprising their roles etc really making it feel like a lost episode.

The interrogation minigame was fun too, getting to be all "DAMMIT WHERE IS THE BOMB WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!"

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
As said before, Alpha Protocol are one of the greatest games ever made.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

I heard a lot of gnashing of teeth and tearing of garments about the cel shading and how the controls sucked and how it was a bad port of a bad console game and blah blah blah. I tried it out because I thought it looked awesome. Nerds are crazy.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

Drakengard was an absurd game with some fairly mean-spirited themes of even the slightest good in people being consumed by their flaws and hatred. It was also designed by someone who really, really, hated the idea of birth and spent nearly the entire game doing the opposite of what most games do, belittling the ideals of fertility and propagation.
It was an ugly, noisy game, the gameplay was noisy, and it worked beautifully. Everything about the game was covered in a layer of rust and nothing in it was pleasant even in the slightest sense.
It was an exercise in negative emotion and I actually enjoyed that.

Drakengard was pretty awesome.

CaptBushido posted:

:confused: everyone loves Borderlands...

Mine is probably the Fable games. All of them; I thought they were all fantastically well done despite some people feeling let down by the "hype", whatever that was.

REally? I thought most people hated it for being soulless and samey.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Anatharon posted:

REally? I thought most people hated it for being soulless and samey.

You're confusing "people" with "goons." It's an easy mistake to make, but eventually you'll realize the incredible difference between the two.

Anyway, I fuckin' love the new Syndicate. No, I never played the original Jaguar/PC game, I don't care to either. But the setting and gameplay of the reboot just appeals to me on a fundamental level. It's basically my cyberpunk hold-over to keep me sated until Cyberpunk 2077.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I heard a lot of gnashing of teeth and tearing of garments about the cel shading and how the controls sucked and how it was a bad port of a bad console game and blah blah blah. I tried it out because I thought it looked awesome. Nerds are crazy.

I didn't realize there was so much rage about the cel shading thing. Most of the gnashing of teeth I've heard for the Borderlands franchise has been people absolutely outraged that there are JOKES in their games. :catbert:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Most of the gnashing of teeth I've heard for the Borderlands franchise has been people absolutely outraged that there are JOKES in their games. :catbert:

That too.

Old West
Jul 12, 2012

ACTION
God Hand is one of the best poorly received games out there. The game came out to mixed reviews, some being extremely poor, such as IGN's 30/100. The points the reviewer brings up are valid, but are also the same reason I love the game. This is one of the best beat-em-ups I've ever played.

It is immensely hard but incredibly fair, and any given encounter can be absolutely devastating if you are off your game. Not to mention the combo customization, which holds many many moves that you can arrange in any way you want to form your attack string. The combat is perfectly basic, based entirely on timing, ability to dodge, and being able to press square very fast.

I also feel that the way the difficulty scales, where as you deal more damage and get hit less often the enemies get tougher, include more moves in their combos, alter their attack timings, and appear in larger groups, is a really great way to test yourself. I don't think I've seen a game before where the enemies scale in such a dynamic way, not just to a set level but to how you are doing at that moment.

The camera blows, so does the lack of lock-on, and the textures are flat and boring, but you can't win them all I suppose. It is also very very anime, but I can look past its plot and just beat dudes up, and plus, it's made by Clover Studios, and they made Viewtiful Joe, so it is a bit expected. If you want a good game to test your reflexes then this is the game for you.

Also the soundtrack is super.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
One more I wanted to talk about.

Phantom Dust.

Everywhere I look it is getting good reviews, but that doesn't change the fact that I haven't seen the game ever. I found it once in a GameStop years ago and have never seen it since. Everyone I ask about it has no opinion of it, and is surprised when I tell them it exists as a real game. It is just a supreme title, really fun, and just great. The story is interesting (albeit a little anime) it is just a fun game.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Kimmalah posted:

I didn't realize there was so much rage about the cel shading thing. Most of the gnashing of teeth I've heard for the Borderlands franchise has been people absolutely outraged that there are JOKES in their games. :catbert:

There was a big thing about them stealing the art style off some grad student when he refused to give them his permission to let them use it if I recall correctly.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Enter the Matrix for me too. I think I just got a really good round of it. It had a lot of complaints for being buggy, but the most I had was a guy get stuck in the wall after shooting him in the face with a shotgun. It captured the action of the series really well for me. I enjoyed the gunfights and I still remember approaching my first bad guy, and not really knowing the controls tapping a few random buttons and my amazement at watching my character kung fu the rear end of this random minimum wage security guard. After that, I was like "yeah, I can play a whole game of this"

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Kimmalah posted:

I didn't realize there was so much rage about the cel shading thing.

I didn't, either, honestly. I actually really like cel shading in most games. I love how you can take a cel-shaded game and port it down to weaker hardware, and yet it still looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Lord Lambeth posted:

Game journalists aren't real people. :colbert:

I'll second the Sonic Adventure 2 mention. I don't know how you could hate a game with chaos.

It's mind boggling that a stand alone Chao garden game hasn't been released.

Alouicious posted:

You're confusing "people" with "goons." It's an easy mistake to make, but eventually you'll realize the incredible difference between the two.

Anyway, I fuckin' love the new Syndicate. No, I never played the original Jaguar/PC game, I don't care to either. But the setting and gameplay of the reboot just appeals to me on a fundamental level. It's basically my cyberpunk hold-over to keep me sated until Cyberpunk 2077.

Syndicate is so great. It nails the cyberpunk aesthetic perfectly and it has some of the best co-op I've ever had the pleasure to play.

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 21:39 on May 13, 2013

• Locked thread