Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't done a ton of backpacking yet but so far I absolutely love my Osprey Atmos 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I have an Osprey Aether 82 and it's awesome. It's big as gently caress and pretty heavy but I'm 6'4" so it's not too disproportionate on me. I use it for 5 day trips into the boundary waters. Although it seemed like overkill at the time, I use all the space for my gear plus fishing tackle and other non-essential items that I wouldn't take if I weren't paddling in a canoe for most of the trip, like a weather radio. Anyway, it is easy to fit to your body, comfortable and durable as hell. I'd highly suggest going to REI or similar to try on packs so though so you can choose the one you find most comfortable.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

stupid puma posted:

I have an Osprey Aether 82 and it's awesome. It's big as gently caress and pretty heavy but I'm 6'4" so it's not too disproportionate on me. I use it for 5 day trips into the boundary waters. Although it seemed like overkill at the time, I use all the space for my gear plus fishing tackle and other non-essential items that I wouldn't take if I weren't paddling in a canoe for most of the trip, like a weather radio. Anyway, it is easy to fit to your body, comfortable and durable as hell. I'd highly suggest going to REI or similar to try on packs so though so you can choose the one you find most comfortable.

How well does that portage? I've always preferred duluth-style packs for Boundary Waters trips, on the principle that I'd like to carry it and the canoe.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

ColdCock posted:

Unlike others, I hated my Aether 70. Mine was like an '08 model though. My back would sweat terribly against the back panel.

I think they redesigned the AirSpace section (AirSpeed now) after '08 by yanking the nipple-foam out and just using nylon mesh that is stretched across the subframe. It creates a nice gap between your back and the pack that provides plenty of air circulation and is even big enough to stuff a hydration bladder into if you want to save some space inside the pack. Both my Atmos 65 and Stratos 26 have this and it feels great to not have a sweaty back, particularly after taking them off at summit and the oft-ensuing chill that results.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Philip J Fry posted:

I think they redesigned the AirSpace section (AirSpeed now) after '08 by yanking the nipple-foam out and just using nylon mesh that is stretched across the subframe. It creates a nice gap between your back and the pack that provides plenty of air circulation and is even big enough to stuff a hydration bladder into if you want to save some space inside the pack. Both my Atmos 65 and Stratos 26 have this and it feels great to not have a sweaty back, particularly after taking them off at summit and the oft-ensuing chill that results.

Ahh, great then. That was my real complaint with the pack, and why I switched to the Deuter. Sounds like they have similar backpanels now.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Speleothing posted:

How well does that portage? I've always preferred duluth-style packs for Boundary Waters trips, on the principle that I'd like to carry it and the canoe.

I know some people swear by Duluth-style packs. I've never tried one but from what I've seen I gotta believe Osprey packs are more comfortable when you're wearing the pack. I usually single-trip portage with the pack on my back (usu 55lbs or so) and the canoe on my shoulders (around 47lbs). For the average BWCA portage it's a good system but I've done longer, hilly 360 rod+ portages like this and it was pretty lovely - mostly because of the added canoe weight though, not because of the pack comfort.

Do you leave your Duluth packs in the canoe on portages? The one drawback of the Osprey is it doesn't fit real well in the canoe because its so long. You sort of have to prop it up on the middle bar which makes the canoe a little unstable in the water. No tips yet though (knock on wood).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

stupid puma posted:

I know some people swear by Duluth-style packs. I've never tried one but from what I've seen I gotta believe Osprey packs are more comfortable when you're wearing the pack. I usually single-trip portage with the pack on my back (usu 55lbs or so) and the canoe on my shoulders (around 47lbs). For the average BWCA portage it's a good system but I've done longer, hilly 360 rod+ portages like this and it was pretty lovely - mostly because of the added canoe weight though, not because of the pack comfort.

Do you leave your Duluth packs in the canoe on portages? The one drawback of the Osprey is it doesn't fit real well in the canoe because its so long. You sort of have to prop it up on the middle bar which makes the canoe a little unstable in the water. No tips yet though (knock on wood).

You can't leave it in for a portage over about 5m, you'd break your boat. It's just that the low & wide shape makes it easy to carry it and a boat. I'm also a believer in the system where one person carries the boat, and the other double-packs. I've done mile+ portages with two duluths stacked on my back, it works well.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 13, 2013

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Duluths are the ones with no frame or hip belt, right?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Duluths are the ones with no frame or hip belt, right?

You can get them with frame and belt, but usually they don't have one. When you're going to the BWCA you usually rent them with your boat, so it really depends on the outfitter. It's more about being very square, which isn't a good shape for a backpack except that it's fantastic for a boat.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a 22L Osprey for day trips, I was just concerned that having a pack too large could gently caress you up if its not stuffed full.

The Osprey 70L would be strictly for overnight+ hikes. I could just fill it with what I need then shove an extra jacket or change of clothes in there and squeeze the compression straps to get it to fit better even though its not "full", correct?

I've been led to believe that it's a horrible thing if your pack is under-packed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a 22L Osprey for day trips, I was just concerned that having a pack too large could gently caress you up if its not stuffed full.

The Osprey 70L would be strictly for overnight+ hikes. I could just fill it with what I need then shove an extra jacket or change of clothes in there and squeeze the compression straps to get it to fit better even though its not "full", correct?

I've been led to believe that it's a horrible thing if your pack is under-packed.

Thats not entirely true, its mostly about weight distribution. If you're bringing less gear than the pack will hold, just make sure the weight is distributed evenly so that all 20lbs aren't all at the bottom.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Ospreys have tons of compression straps. I've never had a problem securing loads for weekend trips in my gigantic 82L. You'll be fine.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Please help me spend my money Hiking & Backpacking goons!

I did a job for Snow Peak and part of my payment was $1000 in product credit. I spent $120 of it on a Gransfors Bruks axe already but now I can't figure out what to do with the rest of it.

All of their product is on their site here: http://www.snowpeak.com/ and they've got some pretty rad stuff.

My problem is I don't really need anything that they have. I already own some of their titanium backpacking cookware, and one of their gigapower stoves. Beyond that I like some of their car camping stuff but it's all so expensive that I can't help but feel like I'm being ripped off even though it's essentially free money that I can't spend anywhere else.

They have some nice camping tarps, but they're like $500 :cough:
They have a nice lantern and I need a lantern but it's like $200 :cough:
They have nice bamboo foldable picnic tables, and nice camp chairs... those are pretty spendy too.
They have a nice modular camp table/grill system but I'd spend all of the gift certificate just getting the frame, a stove, and some inserts.

I guess I'm just hoping someone can tell me what I'd get the most use out of if I'm going to spend an exorbitant amount of money on some camping gear. I wouldn't mind an ultralight tent but their tents are super overpriced and I can't seem to find any good reviews on them... I can also get 50% off of Mtn Hardware tents so I'd probably go with one of those or a Big Agnes when I go shopping for a new backpacking tent.

Any advice? It's not like I'm not thrilled to have some credit to spend on nice stuff, I just feel like I could get 3x as much quality gear if this gift card was for REI or somewhere else. Should I just buy $800 worth of fuel? or a half dozen more axes?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have their Titanium Spork and I always carry it with me in my pack. Seriously.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have their Titanium Spork and I always carry it with me in my pack. Seriously.

yup, I've got one of those as well... suppose I could buy a crate full of titanium sporks. Their backpacking gear is high quality and competitively priced, I feel like it's mostly their car camping gear where prices start going crazy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Take requests on what to buy in here, sell it for 80% the sale price and pocket the cash?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Browsing their website, I'd focus on the car-camping stuff. A lot of the heftier cookware would be pretty good just for the kitchen at your house. Of course, I'm at the stage in my life where I'm just starting to build a collection of home-goods. If you're already well furnished then I don't know what to say.

Gas lanterns are super-handy to have around.

Don't buy Ti cookware, unless you're going ultralight. It isn't very good for even heating.

Edit: If you can get that Boreas pack, they're pretty nice.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 13, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mastershakeman posted:

Take requests on what to buy in here, sell it for 80% the sale price and pocket the cash?

I would... consider this, I feel like I can find something I can make use of though.

Speleothing posted:

Browsing their website, I'd focus on the car-camping stuff. A lot of the heftier cookware would be pretty good just for the kitchen at your house. Of course, I'm at the stage in my life where I'm just starting to build a collection of home-goods. If you're already well furnished then I don't know what to say.

Gas lanterns are super-handy to have around.

Don't buy Ti cookware, unless you're going ultralight. It isn't very good for even heating.

Edit: If you can get that Boreas pack, they're pretty nice.

we've got most of our home cookware figured out, their cast iron is too small for home use, kind of an odd specialty type of thing that would make a lot of sense if you do a lot of campground cooking of cobbler and stuff like that I suppose, I've always been a pretty minimal campground cook but it'd be nice stuff for being a little more gourmet.

I do want/need a gas lantern but... isn't $225 for a gas lantern a little ridiculous? It'd be nice to have a common fuel w/ my stove but I just can't figure out what makes their lantern worth 5x as much as a Coleman or whatever other lanterns are out there.

I've got one of their Ti sets already for backpacking and it works nicely enough but it's just like pot/dish set for cooking dehydrated meals or making coffee or whatever.

I've got a new Osprey Atmos 65 pack but I'm going to try to get my girlfriend to try on one of the boreas packs since she's in need of a new pack.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Oh yeah, $225 is stupid, but Coleman fuel cans use a different thread, so their lanterns aren't compatible with the more standard fuels.

It's a tough situation, because their stuff is very specialized and very overpriced.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

titanium spork crew in the house

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Speaking of utensils chat, does anyone make a quality version of a set like this anymore?

I have seen new manufactures from a few places, but they've all been poo poo. Like, you can fold the utensils in half with your hand, the knife is dull as gently caress, or the pieces don't stay locked together and fall apart. I have a set that used to be my grandfather's from when he was in the Boy Scouts in the freaking 1940's, my dad used them when HE was in the scouts in the 60's, and he passed them on to me when I started scouts back in 1996 or so. I still use them, they're sturdy, still stay very snugly together, and the knife is sharp. I've been looking for a set like that for my fiance, and to eventually replace my set when I inevitably get nostalgic and pass the set onto my future kid.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I hiked Olancha Peak this past weekend, it was hard/the longest dayhike I've ever done. It's a high Sierra peak directly off the PCT but with no trail. It's one of the Sierra emblem peaks and its the first prominence you see driving up the 395 through Olancha, before you get to Lone Pine and see Whitney. Extremely steep summit, 1600 feet rise in 1 mile, no trail. Hiked sunrise to 10pm.

GPS: http://www.strava.com/activities/53908084

12132 feet

Good views:

Mt Whitney to the north

I'd certainly recommend this as training for Mt Whitney, possible overtraining. Camped overnight at the Sage Flat trailhead, perfect weather under the stars with no tent, it's technically Inyo National Forest and Wilderness so no permits needed. Nobody else on this trail, only sign of one PCT thru-hiker's footprints once the Olancha Pass trail met up with it.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 14, 2013

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
"Big tits and bong hits" sounds like heaven.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

a foolish pianist posted:

Pinckney and Waterloo State Recreation Areas, just north of 94 in Dexter, have good day-hike and overnight trails. Good swimming holes in the summer, too. I go pretty often, and I know the area well, so let me know if you want to meet up and do some walking.

Do you have any experience walking the whole Waterloo-Pinckney trail? I'm planning on doing it with a friend this summer but my experience in the area has been limited to day hikes near Silver Lake and Portage Lake.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Last weekend, I went to my first proper overnight hike in the Repovesi national park here in Finland. It was loads of fun and the weather was perfect. :)

Here, have some photos:

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Any blister advice? I haven't really had any problems until my latest hike and now I have a gnarly one on the side of my heel. Should I be taping/mole skinning it during the day or just leave it be? I've been lotioning it up when I get home from work so it doesn't dry out, but that's it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Blister care can be debated, but I personally fall into the camp of fixing the problem the moment you feel a hot spot. Blisters can ruin hikes comically fast, it's better to be preventative. I really like leukotape, but it can be a horridly sticky bitch and some people hate it.
The other important thing (for me) is using something that maintains moisture in my feet, but doesn't let them ever get pruney. Pruney is the worst thing feet can be. I'm still burning through my stock of Hydropel, but HikeGoo is good stuff too (hydropel is no more).

e: For dayhikes and shorter stuff, as well as caring for them after a hike, I usually tape them if it's painful and still gooey, but eventually it'll heal a little and dry out. That's usually good, because the dead skin has to come off sometime.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Kinkajou posted:

Any blister advice? I haven't really had any problems until my latest hike and now I have a gnarly one on the side of my heel. Should I be taping/mole skinning it during the day or just leave it be? I've been lotioning it up when I get home from work so it doesn't dry out, but that's it.

If you're hiking, I would recommend taping it. If you're just around town during the next few days, then let it get air.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Speleothing posted:

If you're hiking, I would recommend taping it. If you're just around town during the next few days, then let it get air.

I always carry a roll of hockey tape. Its mild enough to not rip your skin, flexible enough to fit nearly anywhere, and tough enough to fix a lot of things. It also works perfectly to prevent blisters if you're getting a hot spot.

Totally unrelated:
Between cycling shoes, hockey skates, snowboard and hiking boots my feet can hop into nearly anything without even thinking about blisters anymore. I've also switched to using thinner socks or only liners for everything as well.

My hockey teammates hate the fact that i can toss on a new pair of skates before a game without any issues.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Kinkajou posted:

Should I be taping/mole skinning it during the day or just leave it be?

Run some thread through with a needle to let it drain. Afer that, leave it to dry up and form a callous.
I never tape anymore. Just thread to help the blister wick the moisture.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 16, 2013

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Canna Happy posted:

Run some thread through with a needle to let it drain. Afer that, leave it to dry up and form a callous.
I never tape anymore. Just thread to help the blister wick the moisture.

This sounds like it would invite infection.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Business of Ferrets posted:

This sounds like it would invite infection.

I've done the needle and thread thing a bunch of times. It's the best way to deal with blisters with multiple.. "chambers" IMO. Just make sure you cover up the thread with gauze and tape. The fluid will leak out of the bandage while keeping it fairly clean.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I've only ever needled blisters after getting home (waiting a day is not ideal), but it's been a while, and I've never heard of this threading thing. My old boots were seriously a bit oversized, but excessive taping started getting rid of blister problems there. I skipped too many weeks back in March and ended up with a heel blister but it required no attention; my new boots still took ~250mi to break in properly and, though I don't tape quite as much as I used to, I still tend to keep my heels and two silly toes minimally taped.

Also, everything started getting a lot better when I added a great deal of magnesium silicate. The ultrafine is awesome. :toot:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Swiss Army Knife that I keep in my pack when day hiking.

Would it be smart to have another knife with me as well if I'm doing multiday hikes, like a survival knife or just something larger?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Would it be smart to have another knife with me as well if I'm doing multiday hikes, like a survival knife or just something larger?

I use a larger knife for things that require cutting. Swiss army knives are mostly multi tools and not great for heavy cutting.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

PRADA SLUT posted:

You only need one knife. I personally carry a derma safe as my knife on all my hikes. I think the swiss army will be perfectly fine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Don't forget a razor blades in your first aid kit. I had to cut my knee open to fish out a cactus spine that was rubbing on the bone. The Swiss army knife knife was dull and needed to be sharpened on a rock. :gonk: It was horrible and would have been so much easier if I had blades. Yes I was stupid.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Those big survival knives are kind of silly unless you're dressing meat, in my opinion.

But I think it's a pretty good idea to carry a good multitool.

I use the Leatherman Wave, it's great.

Outrail posted:

Don't forget a razor blades in your first aid kit. I had to cut my knee open to fish out a cactus spine that was rubbing on the bone. The Swiss army knife knife was dull and needed to be sharpened on a rock. :gonk: It was horrible and would have been so much easier if I had blades. Yes I was stupid.

That's loving horrible.

I mean, who carries a "first aid kit"? :rolleyes:

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
I like to carry a small fixed blade if I'm going someplace more remote. It doesn't have to be a big gently caress off knife, but I like something with a four or five inch blade and a full tang. It's partly practical and partly a totem.

And plus one on the Leatherman Wave. Those things are magical whether I'm backpacking in the woods or in a city.

Outrail posted:

I also keep a Swisscard in my FAK. Small, flat form - has a knife blade, tweezers, scissors, magnifying glass - and it all remains clean and sharp because it's not used for anything else.

Canna Happy posted:

You only need one knife. I personally carry a derma safe as my knife on all my hikes. I think the swiss army will be perfectly fine.

I've noticed a lot of people using those - usually either guys really looking to shave weight, or the guys who pack all sorts of survival widgets into Altoids cans. How are they to use? They don't have a locking mechanism, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I carry a folding knife that is useful for cutting and creating kindling sometimes. I'm not sure I've ever needed anything more; I could see needlenose on a multitool being useful perhaps but I've never run in that.

I just carry the one knife, in any case. Keep it very sharp.