Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Whatever I'm just going to get the Boss Frog with the harness bar welded on - someone in my local scca chapter just rolled his NB (on the street) with a boss frog a few days ago and he was perfectly fine and the bar held up 100%:

Edit:
I just checked the boss frog website and they posted a write up on the front page.

http://www.bossfrog.biz/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone here used Carbotech brakes? I bought a set of XP-8s for using a couple times a year at HPDEs. The official FAQ says you need to purchase new rotors to properly bed in and use the brakes. I'm wondering if that's mostly CYA BS or if it's worth the :20bux:. Reports on the Internet are conflicting, so I thought I'd turn to you trusty folks.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I used XP10's on my SRT8 for a few years and didn't swap out or resurface the rotors when i would go to the track. They wore relatively well considering the weight of the car but I may have gotten an extra day out of them if I had done the proper bedding process and used fresh rotors.

I will say that after a track day my brakes with my street pads would squeal like a city bus for weeks after using the carbotechs as I assume the race pad residue would slowly wear off.

That being said, if you're doing track days often, having an extra set of rotors on hand isn't the end of the world.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ColdPie posted:

Anyone here used Carbotech brakes? I bought a set of XP-8s for using a couple times a year at HPDEs. The official FAQ says you need to purchase new rotors to properly bed in and use the brakes. I'm wondering if that's mostly CYA BS or if it's worth the :20bux:. Reports on the Internet are conflicting, so I thought I'd turn to you trusty folks.

I've only used them in conjunction with other carbotech brakes. I'd imagine that having other brake pad deposits on the rotor could impact the bed in process.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

I'd imagine that having other brake pad deposits on the rotor could impact the bed in process.

That's why they tell you to use new rotors, to get a good bedding. Usually it's OK if you stick with different compounds of the same brand, or scuff the rotors with Scotchbrite or sandpaper when you swap pads. Some race pads are abrasive enough when cold to remove the deposits of street pads too (XP8s probably aren't).

If you need dedicated race pads, it's wise to get dedicated rotors too. Eventually you'll crack one, and it sucks driving home like that. Buy a set or two of spare rotors, take a free weekend and bed your pads in good and season the rotors a bit. Your brakes will last longer by doing it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Jamal recommended the CL RC5+ for me. They have great feel, but drat they squeak like hell after a rain.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I'm finally getting some Endless ME20 in. Hopefully they'll be worth the incredible wait time that I've had.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

ColdPie posted:

I've been running Carbotech XP-10s for a few years now and always change out the rotors when I get new pads. In my opinion proper bedding is essential no matter what pad you run.

Disclaimer: I use local auto store blanks so the rotors are pretty cheap.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

j3rkstore posted:

I've been running Carbotech XP-10s for a few years now and always change out the rotors when I get new pads. In my opinion proper bedding is essential no matter what pad you run.

Disclaimer: I use local auto store blanks so the rotors are pretty cheap.

How cheap are we talking? Seems OEM rotors for the Z4 are like $3-400 shipped, which is a whole lot more than I hoped.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why would you buy OEM rotors? I just looked at Rockauto for a 2010 Z4 turbocharged and it's $85 for a front and $30 for a rear. With shipping, it's still under $300.

Or are you saying OEM size?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Seriously don't buy OEM rotors, you're just going to trash them at the track anyways.

I can get a new set of fronts for $75. Honda life.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cool, thanks for the pointer. Most of the sites I checked out didn't have enough info to be sure I was getting something that fit, so I looked at their OEM prices. Rock Auto makes it pretty clear, though.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

What is everyone up to Memorial Day? I know I'll be racing at Lime Rock Park for one of the few unmuffled dates (no sound restrictions!). Should be a good time. The schedule was recently updated to give more track time. HPDE is 2x20min and 2x25min sessions. The race groups get a 15min and 20min sprint race in addition to the normal 20min practice and qualifying.

Should be a good time.

http://imgracing.com/Events/EventInfo.aspx?Event=GetLoud2013

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Can you wire a train horn to your brake pedal for that day??

I need to get an exhaust setup... don't want to get kicked off Laguna Seca with their 102dB limit.

You think this comes close to that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQh5D2fvoG0&t=100s

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I need to get an exhaust setup... don't want to get kicked off Laguna Seca with their 102dB limit.

Isn't Laguna 92db most days?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Admirable Gusto posted:

Isn't Laguna 92db most days?

I dunno, my track event was 102 when I signed up, now its 105dB.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I dunno, my track event was 102 when I signed up, now its 105dB.

You lucky bastard.

Laguna days come in a few flavors.
90.5 db - These are mostly the Skip Barber days that are being sold off now that Skip Barber is basically defunct. If you are not running a bone stock non-performance car, don't bother.
92 db - Most common days that were available prior to this year and the Skip Barber failure. Some sports cars will meet this, some won't, you will see people out trying to beat sound. It's kind of a mess. 911 Turbos / GTRs will blow sound just on intake noise alone.
98 db - These are the days most people expect. You can get most non-race metal to pass this sound level. So, it's all good. Ferrari 458s are questionable.
105 db - Holy grail days. I've heard stories of these days but have never gone. Basically, anyone who has race iron / insane road poo poo that can't pass 98 kill for days like this. Heard of a day a couple years back were there were two F40s that showed up.

gently caress the home owners in that area, seriously.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
92dB at what distance? poo poo, tires alone can exceed that.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

grover posted:

92dB at what distance? poo poo, tires alone can exceed that.

The measuring hut is maybe 80-100 feet to the right after the exit of Turn 5, which is the start of a relatively steep uphill section. So you can short shift or even lift, but that will emasculate you by destroying your time.

I have heard tell of past *ahem* shenanigans at the measuring hut but apparently that got harder when they started showing, on CCTV, a channel showing nothing but the microphone.

Congratulations on landing an insanely nice 105db day; please take pictures of whatever exotica shows up

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Huh that's cool but I guess I'll keep my exhaust stock, but my day doesn't look too exotic:
http://www.speedventures.com/events/attendees.aspx?id=-1999999232

But the next day might be interesting:
http://www.speedventures.com/events/attendees.aspx?id=-1999999231
That's a lot of slots without their cars listed. I'll head back to the track for a couple hours to look around.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

drat, I wish we had those limits!

Lime Rock Park has a limit of 86db typically. Independent Motorsports Group is one of the very, very few club level DE/TT/Race groups with an unmuffled day at the track. The rest are pro-type races from ALMS, Grand-Am, etc. So if you have a loud car in the NE and want to drive it at Lime Rock Park. Memorial day is one of the few events you can do it at.

Going to be some fast cars at the event:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.status/uidEvent/897BF8F2-E7EC-AA75-C48C2D2326299274#.UY7dJ7WsiSo

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Admirable Gusto posted:

The measuring hut is maybe 80-100 feet to the right after the exit of Turn 5, which is the start of a relatively steep uphill section. So you can short shift or even lift, but that will emasculate you by destroying your time.

It's worse than that now. The county regs changed for 2013 and they're now required to take a "mobile" measurement at random at least once a day. So if you are not under 92, and don't see the poor schmuck with the sound meter, you're going to get nicked. The current solution to this issue is to take your sound black, go "fix" it and start the next session assuming that the sound guy has fulfilled his BS requirement and gone back to the hut.

It's sad, but this kind of stuff is very common...

Edit: Re: Lime Rock. Lime Rock has had sound problems since day one. It was built in a place with neighbors. Laguna Seca was built in the middle of nowhere with it's only neighbor being a Army artillery range. Now they're building multimillion dollar houses nearby and bitching about the noise. Seriously, gently caress those people.

VVV :psyduck: VVV

Aurune fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 12, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I actually met some girl who lived near seca, and is into cars, and has driven on the track, and still was bitching about it.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

c355n4 posted:

What is everyone up to Memorial Day? I know I'll be racing at Lime Rock Park for one of the few unmuffled dates (no sound restrictions!).

Awesome! Sounds like fun.

Unless something goes wrong I'll be at Grattan Raceway with 3balls Racing for my 350Z's first trip back to the track! Hopefully the car holds together since It's not run for any extended time since my friend wrecked it last summer. I would hate to lose a day driving home to get my street car.

I'm still waiting in line for the cage and for a diff setup/install but most of the interior striping that I can do legally for SpecZ is done. I don't look forward to going back to stock 3pt belts for the weekend but I doubt I can find a harness bar to borrow.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

I had no idea that Limerock was having an event otherwise I totally would've signed up. :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: I love driving Limerock and it's one of the few local tracks close to me that really lets my car rip vs. NHIS. Darn.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I would love to go but I don't think I'll get a rollbar on my Miata in time, but who knows!

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Anyone else going to NJMP with NASA this weekend? :v:

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Octopus Magic posted:

I had no idea that Limerock was having an event otherwise I totally would've signed up. :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: I love driving Limerock and it's one of the few local tracks close to me that really lets my car rip vs. NHIS. Darn.

There's still time. There's always still time.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

350 dollars though, I'm paying 400 for a full weekend at NHIS ... :\

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What speeds do you get to at NHMS and what at Lime Rock?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Yea, Lime Rock isn't a cheap track. Most of the good tracks in the Northeast aren't cheap in general. Granted, you'll be hard pressed to find a weekend/holiday date at Lime Rock for much cheaper, especially with no sound restrictions.

Kaakao
Jul 6, 2005
Random Stuff
Nürburgring 24h Live now at http://24h-rennen.de/en/live, Radio Le Mans has the audio in english http://www.radiolemans.com/

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Finally building up the E21 for track days and general fun driving and I'm not sure what route to go on the suspension. Are something like Ground Control coilovers an overkill for a car that's going to see 3-4 track days a season? I was planning on going with Bilstein Sport shocks and H&R Race springs but they don't make the race springs for the E21, only sport. Coilovers would be nice but drat they are expensive.

Otherwise I have a parts car that is donating full front and rear subframes and suspension which I am cleaning/painting, replacing anything worn out and putting in polyurethane bushings.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Do they make Koni Sports for the E21?

You can almost make a cheap pseudo-coilover with those and H&R springs, I have them with my sport springs and it's great to be able to dial them back down for street use - at least the fronts (you can only adjust rears when off unless you spring for pricey TC Kline version.) I also think you'd be fine with the H&R Sports.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Had my first trackday yesterday, and uh... Wow. Had an instructor for most of the day, it was lots of fun. At the end of the day they combined the novice & intermediate groups, and I managed to catch up to & get pointed by an Elise who'd been running in intermediate all day. So much fun trying to catch him, it was great having someone who was pretty close to my speed that I was working to catch / pull away from. Pretty sure that's the most fun I've ever had in a car... Unfortunately the GoPro was out of batteries by then.

I honestly don't understand why some people wouldn't point others by... It's a lot of fun trying to keep up with the people ahead of you through the corners.

I changed my brake fluid before the event, but I was still getting a bit of sponginess from the brakes by the end of the session. I think this is more a function of braking more than I need too, but my instructor recommended switching to ATE Super Blue or something similar.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

TrueChaos posted:

I changed my brake fluid before the event, but I was still getting a bit of sponginess from the brakes by the end of the session. I think this is more a function of braking more than I need too, but my instructor recommended switching to ATE Super Blue or something similar.

Track days are crack

If your brakes have good, new fluid I would look at pad choice. What are you running?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, seconding as to what pad you're running. ATE Super Blue and TYP200 should hold you over just fine unless if you're some sort of braking savant and require Motul 2K.

What track did you run?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm running hawk HP+. As for the track, I was at shannonville motorsports park in Ontario. We ran the long track configuration, it was awesome.

I'm also getting some strange noises from the right rear, something is making a grindingish noise when not braking with every wheel revolution, and it doesn't sound right under braking either. Will pull that apart tonight and see what's going on. It wasn't making noises like that before the trackday...

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 4, 2013

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

TrueChaos posted:

I'm running hawk HP+. As for the track, I was at shannonville motorsports park in Ontario. We ran the long track configuration, it was awesome.

I'm also getting some strange noises from the right rear, something is making a grindingish noise when not braking with every wheel revolution, and it doesn't sound right under braking either. Will pull that apart tonight and see what's going on. It wasn't making noises like that before the trackday...

On HP+s I had bad vibrations in some conditions. Normally it was on the street that I had it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sadi: you doing CMP in 2 weeks? (more like 10 days)