Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

There's a very weird oddball theory over in Japan that the whole thing is either a prophetic dream or a stable time loop because of that chapter title and how in the very first chapter Eren goes "Your hair's gotten longer, hasn't it, Mikasa?" and then later in the series she cuts it.

e: I hasten to emphasize that it's an oddball theory, nobody puts much weight on it. Still, it is a weird scene and title to have.

Well, there's also that "See you later, Eren" in one of the very first panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I always assumed there was just a lot of random, unannounced flashbacks.

Edit: Reading just the first few pages again though, it is all really weird. We see a group of the Scouting Legion fighting a Titan, which ultimately seems to be a dream Eren was having. But then on the page where he wakes up it does start with a shot of a bit older looking Mikasa with short hair apparently saying "See you later", but the speech bubble is separate from her saying "Eren" and trying to get him up.

I just took Eren's comment on her hair getting longer as confusion upon waking up, but there could be more to it. Very weird.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 12, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So this is all some horror version of Groundhog Day, only the loop is several years long?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's not a proper time loop unless it starts out "... where we came in?"

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
The first chapter is called "to you, in 2000 years". Am I grasping at straws here, or is it related? If not, what is it referring to exactly?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^^It may just be differences in translation. Can anyone confirm if the first chapter and first episode have the exact same Japanese name, or is there a slight difference to the wording?
You know, now I'm wondering if maybe the wording of both phrases is just crappy translation, and it's more to imply "to you, this will be in 2,000 years!"

Hodgepodge posted:

Japanese stuff does the "to the future of this fictional world" thing a lot. From the New World does it in the translated novel page. Final Fantasy Tactics also comes to mind.

I dunno about From the New World, but in FFT it's kind of the whole gimmick of the story - that history remembers This Guy as being a great hero, but really the church covered up that That Guy was actually the hero instead of This Guy. It's established right from the very start that it's a story being told from a historian. Attack on Titan isn't nearly that up-front about it, which makes me wonder if it's going to be used as a plot twist near the end of the story.

Although, The very first lines of dialogue in both the manga and the anime are as though Eren is telling a story, so who the gently caress knows.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 12, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
That would actually make sense, though. If it was supposed to be written for future generations. Telling the history of the defeat of the titans, or whatever the end game will be.

Or maybe that was the original plan and it's changed now and it means literally nothing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

CodfishCartographer posted:

^^^It may just be differences in translation. Can anyone confirm if the first chapter and first episode have the exact same Japanese name, or is there a slight difference to the wording?

The titles are exactly the same, with the literal translation being "to the you (general you) of 2000 years later."

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Edit: Reading just the first few pages again though, it is all really weird.

I forgot about all that. It really *is* weird, and seems really important somehow. Does this somehow explain his burning spirit? Notably, the dream is left out of the anime.. perhaps it has something to do with the ending.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

j4on posted:

I forgot about all that. It really *is* weird, and seems really important somehow. Does this somehow explain his burning spirit? Notably, the dream is left out of the anime.. perhaps it has something to do with the ending.

Actually, the dream is in the Anime. Instead of a shot of Mikasa, it's some blink and you'll miss it shots of titans eating people, walking over a landscape that first didn't have titans, and like some other assorted things that don't really make sense, at least yet. One of the shots is a blurred version of the scene where a titan picks up Erin's mom.

Umm guys he was having some kind of prophetic dream :stare:

Now, I trust Hajime enough at this point that it's either going to be really cool when this comes up explicitly, or they're going to just drop the whole idea if it ends up terrible.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 13, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cross-posting from the anime thread:

Personal_Nirvana posted:

This is actually not true of course, but i found awesome.

A live-action movie would be absolutely amazing, of course. The only issue is, how would the movie end? There's already potentially difficulty getting to a decent ending point for a 24-episode anime; what would be a good cut-off point for a 2-hour movie adaptation?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Do the first five episodes, end with Eren dying :unsmigghh:

Or do the first battle of Trost and end with Eren making his titan shell to block the cannonball.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
To reiterate and expand on the response from the anime thread, a live action movie adaptation of Shingeki no Kyojin was announced in 2011 with a targeted release date of Fall 2013, but has been pushed back to 2014 because the first director they tapped for it quit on them.

I can't think of a single manga->live action adaptation that's adhered to canon so I wouldn't think too hard about that aspect.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

JosephWongKS posted:

A live-action movie would be absolutely amazing, of course. The only issue is, how would the movie end?

Titan form of Eren on hundreds of wires, fighting on the sky. Just end it there.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not sure if this theory has been brought up before, but while rereading the manga something popped into my mind that seems really obvious, but never occurred to me during my first read-through. So, they couldn't find any breaches in the wall, and still don't know where the titans came from that are currently invading. We know that Connie's village turned into titans,and that Sasquatch can command titans. Wouldn't it make sense that Sasquatch climbed the wall, came across Connie's village and turned them all into titans? That would explain where they all came from so suddenly.

Taking this theory to absurd levels of speculation: Sasquatch is the 'designer' of the titans, and is pissed that humans keep killing them, so he ventured forth to try and find how they were killing them. In a few chapters we'll see another town (or possibly the village that Sasha is riding with) get turned into titans that don't have the weakpoint in the nape of their neck - as Sasquatch has learned to design some other way that doesn't leave the titans so vulnerable to airborne opponents. After all, from a basic design standpoint putting a weakpoint in the nape of their necks makes sense - they're way taller than humans, so humans wouldn't be able to reach it. But then humans made some machine that lets them fly around to reach it, so now Sasquatch has to think of something new so his precious little titans will stop getting murdered. Or worse, he designs titans that can use hilariously over-sized versions of the 3DMG.

Rolling with the 'Eren is Jesus' theory: Sasquatch is God. I guess this could also mean that Eren's dad is actually Sasquatch. Eren's dad DID inject Eren with something, that maybe was the cause for him turning into a titan - if the Sasquatch actually is Eren's dad, this may ACTUALLY make sense and not just be me being stupid.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 13, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If Eren's dad was Sasquatch he wouldn't be unsure about humans speaking his language, or about the 3D gear.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah that's true, I didn't really think it was all that likely :v: I think that maybe the Sasquatch having some kind of ability to create titans is plausible, though.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
One thought I find interesting is that Doctor Jaeger is mentioned as saving the city from a plague. I wonder what kind of plague that was?
Knowing that the regurgitated remains of titan victims are burned, and seeing evidence of why they're burned, I'm starting to make some interesting connections here.
Added to all of that, if Eren's Father did indeed cure or control an outbreak of plague, wouldn't that have given him prime opportunity to inoculate a large number of people with whatever he was working on, either as a way to create titan-people or as a way to test his titan formula?

Whatever the case, I'm sure what's in the basement is likely the result of Doctor Jaeger's shady actions.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Recursive Expanse posted:

Added to all of that, if Eren's Father did indeed cure or control an outbreak of plague, wouldn't that have given him prime opportunity to inoculate a large number of people with whatever he was working on, either as a way to create titan-people or as a way to test his titan formula?

That depends on when he made the formula. The way Hannes referred to the Doctor curing the plague made it seem like something that happened a fair few years ago. The Titan formula, assuming that's even what it is, could have been developed some time afterwards.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

And once again, the end of the chapter leaves me wanting more. The author is pretty drat good at that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Rolling with the 'Eren is Jesus' theory: Sasquatch is God. I guess this could also mean that Eren's dad is actually Sasquatch. Eren's dad DID inject Eren with something, that maybe was the cause for him turning into a titan - if the Sasquatch actually is Eren's dad, this may ACTUALLY make sense and not just be me being stupid.

For some reason Wikipedia supports this theory, claiming that Eren's old man has been confirmed as Sasquatch in the manga.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

For some reason Wikipedia supports this theory, claiming that Eren's old man has been confirmed as Sasquatch in the manga.

Hahaha what, this is supposed to be a joke theory that's so stupid that it couldn't possibly be true.

Okay, no wait, I got it. Eren's dad created the titans originally. He thought he figured out a way to be able to turn humans into titans that could control their powers and then turn back into humans. Being the mad scientist he likely is (or was) he tries it on himself, but it's imperfect so he completely loses his memory/mind while he's in Sasquatch form - like how Eren kinda just goes balls-out crazy sometimes. Maybe he doesn't completely lose his mind so he still knows he's human and can still speak and poo poo, but doesn't remember any of the details. Dunno if he remembers what he does while in titan form? In human form he continues the experiments to try and perfect the human-titan transformation. You don't age while in titan form (obviously) so he manages to live the full 100 years that mankind has been behind the walls. :pseudo:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is it a spoiler to mention Ymir's name in the anime thread? I mean, if they animate the flashback with Ilse, it's a huge giveaway but in the other hand I really don't want to say "Krista's freckled friend" and variations for another twenty episodes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Call her Youmeel instead. :v:

e: Also god drat, the anime thread really has it out for Mikasa.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

Is it a spoiler to mention Ymir's name in the anime thread? I mean, if they animate the flashback with Ilse, it's a huge giveaway but in the other hand I really don't want to say "Krista's freckled friend" and variations for another twenty episodes.

Probably. The encounter with the titan who said Ymir's name happened long before Ymir's name was revealed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Autumncomet posted:

I think I'm just going to going with "Freckles", if it ever comes up. Ymir gets almost no screentime until volume 9, and the anime's not likely to get that far.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I think Mikasa's a great character and I like her murder-savant bullshit but that flashback is something of a low point for the series. It really is silly that Eren and Mikasa just up and murder some guys when they are nine or whatever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lestaki posted:

I think Mikasa's a great character and I like her murder-savant bullshit but that flashback is something of a low point for the series. It really is silly that Eren and Mikasa just up and murder some guys when they are nine or whatever.

No it's OK because those weren't men, they were just some scumbag animals.

Maybe the time loop is less literal and more figurative, with this particular instance just being Eren paraphrasing Samuel L Jackson from A Time to Kill.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The point of that scene wasn't to show how badass Eren and Mikasa were. It demonstrated the fundamental nature of Eren and Mikasa's relationship. Eren went and did insane, suicidal poo poo and Mikasa became emotionally dependent on him while saving his rear end. That dynamic has held true for their relationship for the entire manga.

Plus, it may have shown that Mikasa has super strength.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

AnonSpore posted:

If it's that they still think she's Just Too Strong, I would think that the anime adaptation of http://www.batoto.net/read/_/6247/shingeki-no-kyojin_v2_ch9_by_gantz-waitingroom/36 will go a long way towards humanizing her. Either that or they'll go UGH OF COURSE THEY HAD TO TAKE THE STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER AND MAKE HER DEPENDENT ON A MAN, managing to further miss the point.

But I actually missed the name of the chapter the first time I read through this series and sound effects don't mean anything to me so I gloss over them. I didn't realize until now that she was desperately listening for a heartbeat, and found it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zenzirouj posted:

If it's that they still think she's Just Too Strong, I would think that the anime adaptation of http://www.batoto.net/read/_/6247/shingeki-no-kyojin_v2_ch9_by_gantz-waitingroom/36 will go a long way towards humanizing her. Either that or they'll go UGH OF COURSE THEY HAD TO TAKE THE STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER AND MAKE HER DEPENDENT ON A MAN, managing to further miss the point.

Right after Eren's flashback to becoming a Titan Mikasa threatens to kill all humans should they attack Eren, and the military advisers are falling all over themselves to point out how easily she could do it. I don't know why they hate Mikasa so much, but I don't think there's ever going to be an end to it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
At this point in the story, is there anyone you think has plot immunity?

I'd say Eren is pretty much assured to survive to the end of the series - he's already been "killed" and then reborn during the Battle of Trost, and it'd cheapen things if he were to die again. Plus there are two critical plot threads hinging on him - the basement in his house and his father's experiments on him.

I doubt anyone else is immune, though, not even Mikasa or Armin.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Christa is immune in the short term, at least until she spills the beans about the wall Titans and reclaims her name like she promised Ymir.

Mikasa and Armin are probably OK just because their deaths don't really ad anything to the situation. Eren already hates Titans so much he turned into one to fulfill his dying wish to go on a Titan murder spree. He's topped out on hate and he's already got enough bodies to avenge that neither his sister nor his best friend will even be noticed on the pile.

Surprisingly Bitter
Oct 10, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

At this point in the story, is there anyone you think has plot immunity?

I'd say Eren is pretty much assured to survive to the end of the series - he's already been "killed" and then reborn during the Battle of Trost, and it'd cheapen things if he were to die again. Plus there are two critical plot threads hinging on him - the basement in his house and his father's experiments on him.

I doubt anyone else is immune, though, not even Mikasa or Armin.

Annie. Good luck getting at her :v:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Attack on Titan is going to end the same way Battlestar Galactica did, with ErenCylon and Mikasa repopulating the planet, the Basement holds a record player with a Japanese cover of All Along The Watchtower.

So Mikasa and Eren will survive, but technically everyone will die eventually.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Vincent Valentine posted:

Attack on Titan is going to end the same way Battlestar Galactica did, with ErenCylon and Mikasa repopulating the planet, the Basement holds a record player with a Japanese cover of All Along The Watchtower.

So Mikasa and Eren will survive, but technically everyone will die eventually.

Unless being able to turn into a Titan makes you immune to aging - I'm not sure if it's ever covered, but it seems like the full blooded titans don't just die off, what with their not needing to eat or breathe.

Eren will be the only one to survive, until Annie wakes up from Crystal Coma. But probably not.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I was thinking about that. What if they learn how to make sharper weapons out of the crystal? Sure it would take time but with the Colossal and Armoured Titan out of the way, the humans have all the time in the world to study the material.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I was thinking about that. What if they learn how to make sharper weapons out of the crystal? Sure it would take time but with the Colossal and Armoured Titan out of the way, the humans have all the time in the world to study the material.

I was under the impression that was already where they were going with the magically-strong swords - Titan flesh can't be pierced by normal, non-military (non-scouting legion?) weapons and one of the datafiles mentions that no one is sure where this crazy strong metal came from. It could be from somewhere else entirely, but I think that's the only source that's been foreshadowed so far.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Abitha Denton posted:

I was under the impression that was already where they were going with the magically-strong swords - Titan flesh can't be pierced by normal, non-military (non-scouting legion?) weapons and one of the datafiles mentions that no one is sure where this crazy strong metal came from. It could be from somewhere else entirely, but I think that's the only source that's been foreshadowed so far.

I'm pretty sure regular bladed weapons can cut them like with the lumber axe here, but in that situation it was healing faster than she could cut with a single axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Abitha Denton posted:

Seems like they've said that the blades are produced in one or more industrial towns, of which I don't think we've seen. I don't think they're made of anything unique, just designed to be supremely sharp and hard at the expense of everything else, which is why they can only use them a few times before having to switch out the blades. They seem really thin, brittle, and shatter easily. They're pretty much big boxcutters, down to having those hatch lines that they seem to break along.