Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.

Funkmaster General posted:

Has anyone done a Cards Against Humanity clone for iOS yet? Seems like a perfect fit for the platform.

Eh, game is kind of catered for drinking and playing with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Spruchy posted:

...and can make tons of money off people drinking alone at home playing with their facebook "friends".

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Spruchy posted:

I don't see the argument here. It would be a fairly simple thing to implement pass-the-phone play for a party setting, and even without that stuff like Space Team took off in that sort of environment just because so many people own iOS devices to begin with. Proof that playing over the internet can be fun, too, also exists in the form of Pretend You're Xyzzy (although that game has some serious issues with UI).

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.
Yeah I guess you guys are right, I personally just wouldn't want to play an IOS version after playing IRL a handful of times. But I'm sure the audience is definitely there.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Spruchy posted:

Yeah I guess you guys are right, I personally just wouldn't want to play an IOS version after playing IRL a handful of times. But I'm sure the audience is definitely there.

If it were like that one Scrabble app a while back where the board was on an iPad and the hands/racks were on iphones/ipods, that would be so wonderfully needlessly neat. :3:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pokemon's going to end up with IAP, I just know it. :ohdear:

Also how the gently caress does Nintendo have 15 billion in cash on hand? I know the 3DS is popular but I'd have figured the limp WiiU activity would've hurt more. Also the P&D company's shares are work over 13k each :psyduck:

KarmaticStylee posted:

I won't buy because of in-app purchases and I guarantee that I'm not alone..

You're also pretty solidly in the minority for mobile gamers. There's a reason that IAP-based games sit in the top grossing slots barring the occasional (and brief) exception. It sucks, but the market is what it is.

Funkmaster General posted:

Has anyone done a Cards Against Humanity clone for iOS yet? Seems like a perfect fit for the platform.

There's no way Apple would let something similar to Cards Against Humanity on to the app store. Half the default answer cards are things that they'd want nothing to do with.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

welp guess we're done here :v:

What's up buddy? That game was fun.

I'm getting better at the thing, but it really does take a few games/rounds to get used to each person you're playing with.

Shellrazer is still hilariously fun and apparently only free this week in the appstore? I recommend it to people, as it is orky as balls.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Kenny Logins posted:

Are you talking about a post Mission 19 mission, or? If so, any Mission 19 advice?

Mission 19 pro tip:

When you get in range of the spinning station, look for a short stubby little docked module on one of the 4 ends of the station. Click it and jettison it from the station. It should immediately stop the station from rotating. Then finish the mission normally by docking and bringing those Ruskies back!

By the way, when you reenter the Russian crew module, don't worry about how much thruster fuel you have. The game doesn't throw wind at you, so all you need to do is pull the chute at the right moment.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Can anyone recommend a game like The Incredible Machine for the iPad? I know there was an actual TIM port, but since it's apparently been pulled from the app store I'm on the hunt for something similar to it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh man I wish.

However, I do have some promising news!

http://contraptionmaker.com/

Maybe they'll port it to iOS? :ohdear:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Huh, the Triple Town devs are working on a "roguelike puzzler" and it looks gorgeous. Don't know many details on gameplay but if we're talking about the genre currently occupied by games like Zaga-33 and Desktop Dungeons I am all in.

Edit: speaking of Zaga-33 I slept on that game for a long time and holy poo poo is it great. I currently can't make it very past the early 20's or so but if someone's better at the game than me who reads this I'd appreciate tips!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 13, 2013

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
What are the odds I manage to hit my space telescope after returning from a moon orbit?

Apparently high. Wtf.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lunar is on iOS although I haven't personally tried it.

There's also stuff from Kemco that might be futuristic but their games all look overpriced and terrible as hell so unless someone here can convince you otherwise avoid their games.
With the exception of some stuff later on, the Lunar games are not really futuristic.... for the most part. (The series was written by a fantasy writer, but there are some scifi elements.)

The games are actually set on a terraformed moon, orbiting a planet rendered uninhabitable in a horrific global war.

delfin posted:

Game designers: What impetus or reason is there for someone to REMOVE their game from the App Store?

There are hordes of games that get approved, then sit out there for years without meaningful updates. Some of them are buggy cash grabs (which is why I still haven't bought Orions, the reviews show that bugs from the Windows Mobile 3 version are still in it), but some are perfectly good games, so I go digging for older sleepers now and then. A couple of games that I looked for recently (Glyph, an old WM title I liked years ago, and Plank, a match-3 with tilt game from Strange Flavour *) were once out for iOS -- I can Google their reviews -- but have vanished without a trace.

Is there any month-to-month cost involved in keeping games 'live'? I can certainly imagine sales dwindle to near-nothing on a lot of titles, but aren't occasional sales on a finished product better than no sales?
With a lot of licensed properties, there are on-going costs (direct or indirect), and after a while the costs in keeping the license alive are just not justified by the revenue.

triplexpac posted:

Yeah as sad is it is to say, I don't buy anything on iOS for $5+ unless it's getting rave reviews on here for a long time. There's just so much out there, I can probably have more fun playing 5 99 cent games than I can that one $5 game, not to mention all the free games.

oblomov posted:

Weird, figured RPG space would be full but other then Square nobody can sell a decent RPG for the price it's worth I guess.
It gets more and more difficult to sell a premium priced game on the App Store, even if the price justifies it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

STST's servers are really making GBS threads the bed, I'm forever getting "Oops wrong version!" errors or not being able to log in at all :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Small White Dragon posted:

With a lot of licensed properties, there are on-going costs (direct or indirect), and after a while the costs in keeping the license alive are just not justified by the revenue.

In addition, unless I'm wrong (in which case im sure one of the devs in this thread can correct me!) if you fail to renew your $100/year Apple developer license, your stuff doesn't stay on the App Store.

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Can anyone recommend a game like The Incredible Machine for the iPad? I know there was an actual TIM port, but since it's apparently been pulled from the app store I'm on the hunt for something similar to it.

Rovio, the makers of Angry Birds, have a couple titles you might be interested in, though neither are iPad exclusive:

The Amazing Alex is a great little game where you play a kid who makes contraptions out of toys very much in the vein of The Incredible Machine. It's got a level editor and a nice interface for downloading user-made levels which gives the game a lot of legs.

Bad Piggies, though not exactly what you're asking for, is an arcade puzzler that sees you assuming the roles of the evil pigs from Angry Birds, building custom contraptions to transport the pigs through levels. It's great fun and absolutely charming.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Having played the Brogue port for iPad some more today, I'm surprised it is not more popular around here. Brogue is an excellent roguelike. The port is really well done and the game plays great on the iPad.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Their was a game called Caseys Contaptions - I think its morphed into something else. Also check out Rigonauts; you build things and send thm off to fight.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

KarmaticStylee posted:

This too. Eclipse and Ace Patrol just came out and will keep me busy for quite a long time. Still, I'd consider a mindless 99 center if it didn't contain in app purchases.

Edit- wow just realized Brogue is out for ipad! If you're a roguelike fan this game is great

I really don't understand the personal offense people take about the presence of IAP. The only reason some games can be priced at 99 cents or for free at all is IAP. For many of these games, Crabitron included, there is no additional fun from buying IAP - in essence, your cheap fun is being subsidized by other, less spendthrifty people. Games that are balanced around IAP can be deeply disappointing but to reject all games with IAP wholesale is to miss out on some legitimately good games.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Mozi posted:

I really don't understand the personal offense people take about the presence of IAP. The only reason some games can be priced at 99 cents or for free at all is IAP. For many of these games, Crabitron included, there is no additional fun from buying IAP - in essence, your cheap fun is being subsidized by other, less spendthrifty people. Games that are balanced around IAP can be deeply disappointing but to reject all games with IAP wholesale is to miss out on some legitimately good games.

If a game is free with IAP - so be it. Games like Magic the Gathering are basically free demos and use IAP so that you can unlock the full game.

If a game only has a paid version and in-app purchases I simply won't risk buying it. If I'm paying, I want to know I'm getting a real game that is not balanced around IAP.

edit- If Crabitron's IAP are pointless then they probably lost a ton of sales by adding them and scaring away potential buyers.

KarmaticStylee fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 14, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mozi posted:

Other more spendthrifty people.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pokemon's going to end up with IAP, I just know it. :ohdear:

Also how the gently caress does Nintendo have 15 billion in cash on hand? I know the 3DS is popular but I'd have figured the limp WiiU activity would've hurt more. Also the P&D company's shares are work over 13k each :psyduck:

That article is mixing up cash on hand versus market capitalisation.
Market cap is just (number of shares) * (share price) and is kinda meaningless.

It's like all the articles that came out last year about how Apple is "the biggest company in the world." All it means is that for a time their share price went really high.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KarmaticStylee posted:

Having played the Brogue port for iPad some more today, I'm surprised it is not more popular around here. Brogue is an excellent roguelike. The port is really well done and the game plays great on the iPad.

Is there a non-asci option? Some kind of tile set, no matter how primitive?

I love roguelikes, but I simply can't do the ascii thing. I can never, ever remember what every letter is supposed to represent, and it just leads to making stupid decisions and dying even more pointless deaths than is the norm for your average rogelike.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there a non-asci option? Some kind of tile set, no matter how primitive?

I love roguelikes, but I simply can't do the ascii thing. I can never, ever remember what every letter is supposed to represent, and it just leads to making stupid decisions and dying even more pointless deaths than is the norm for your average rogelike.

In Brogue, there is basically a legend on the screen at all times when there are things (monsters/rings/etc) visible on the screen letting you know what they are. You will never have to remember the letters..

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Motherfuckin' Baroque is on the iOS, portable Baroque gently caress yeah! :black101:

...except it has absolutely the worst controls I've played on this system, ever. :(

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

There may never be a Card against humanity game for the iOS, but Pretend you're Xzzy works just fine.
http://pyz.socialgamer.net/game.jsp

Edit: Oh no they put a ton of MLP cards in there now :(

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 14, 2013

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

Other more spendthrifty people.

Man, I've gone my entire life thinking it was the other way round.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How's the Lego Batman game? I liked the Harry Potter one, but the Batman one has mixed reviews.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

ChocNitty posted:

How's the Lego Batman game? I liked the Harry Potter one, but the Batman one has mixed reviews.

If it's the same game, check out the quick look on Giant Bomb. The first one did not look good at all.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Motor World? Aw yeeeah. I guess he is not as amazing as some other characters but hopefully him and Coin will make the game easier on the grind. On a related note, does anyone know what that sad smiley face next to the worker's name means?

I've seen a couple people mention the game too so if anyone is interested in friends, my code is FGJQ71

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Weissritter posted:

Sid Meier's Ace Patrol is a great game which you control WWI planes in turn-based dogfights.

A fun little game but there isn't much point in playing past the British campaign, the others are so similar. I really wish there was a meaty strategy game worth playing on this platform. No forced waiting around, no 'check every few hours', no 'meh you'll be finished in 3 hours'....just an honest to god good game.

There's too much crap out there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Try out Loststar Tactics.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Battle Academy is that game.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Bummey posted:

Say The Same Thing is a perfect example of how a great concept can turn to poo poo over the course of a single day. So many game requests, not enough bananananananas, people playing it wrong, who can write the silliest thing contests. It's too bad, I wanted to like it.

There also doesn't seem to be a way to decline a game. If I get a request, it automatically loads into the game and eats bananas without giving me the ability to refuse. Sorry all y'all who invited me, but I can't keep this up.
I saw the screenshots of STST posted here and the game looked fun as hell. So I immediately downloaded it, played it for a bit, and was immediately disappointed. So sad. The game looked like a blast too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What are some good ports of big games for iphone?

I enjoyed Walking Dead, GTA 3/VC, Final Fantasy, Ghost Trick/Phoenix Wright, Bastion and some pinball games. Are there some other decent recommendations?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

man, those looking for something to scratch the strategy itch, check out Kingturn: http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/09/kingturn-rpg-review-a-brilliant-ios-tactical-battle-game/

The prologue is free and rather lengthy, you then pay for the full game if you want to continue. I'm five scenarios in and I will definitely pay to unlock the rest of it, it's a great little turn-based strategy RPG. Definitely watch the tutorial video first otherwise you'll have no freaking idea what's going on. It may look like pants, but there's plenty going on under the hood and it's even got a silly Clash of Heroes-style storyline thrown in.

If you're like me you'll also try rushing and get absolutely demolished, only to learn that slow and steady wins the race.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

bubbapook posted:

man, those looking for something to scratch the strategy itch, check out Kingturn: http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/09/kingturn-rpg-review-a-brilliant-ios-tactical-battle-game/

Finally breaking down and trying this good game with possibly the least appealing graphics around.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
For those of you at have been disappointed with STST, have you just been playing pubbies or something? And if so, why would you do that?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kingturn is good and it would easily become a huge thing if they hired an actual artist during development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

For those of you at have been disappointed with STST, have you just been playing pubbies or something? And if so, why would you do that?

Been playing with goons which makes things even more puzzling.

• Locked thread