Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

A lot of Nokia phones from this age (and a bit older) are still in regular use. Working in (well, in the vicinity of) heavy industry I see a lot of people using them at work, probably due to superior microphones/speakers and reception compared to modern phones and, of course, the fact that if you break one you can probably replace it for free.

That and its lack of camera makes it a good option for industry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

movax posted:

That and its lack of camera makes it a good option for industry!

Taking photographs is prohibited anyway, yeah.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KING EGG posted:

I installed a brand new Scantron machine at work a couple of months ago. The damned thing had a DB9 on it, and I had to fiddle around with a USB to RS232 adapter, then find a driver to make it work in Windows 7. Ugh.

At work I regularly use an $80,000 CNC machine manufactured in 2005. It has 1 megabyte (1024k) of internal program storage, so if you want to run larger, more complex files than that you need to run them from a nearby computer. This is done by plugging the machine into the computer with a fifteen-foot DB-9 cable that runs into a USB adapter, then opening an XModem session at 38400 bps and sending the file line by line as the machine executes the moves and frees up its memory. The machine seems to only respond properly when you use Hyperterminal to start the session, so when we upgraded the driving computer to one running Windows 7 recently we had to find the Hyperterminal EXE on the old WinXP machine and move it over. The alternate option, if your file is between 1MB and 1.44MB in size, is to use a 3.5" floppy disk, because the CNC has an internal drive. You will still need to use the drip-feed function because, again, the machine doesn't have enough internal memory to store an entire floppy's worth of data.

(it does a beautiful job mechanically, and can reliably machine parts down to 1/10,000" accuracy over and over again -- this is an absolutely wonderfully dialed-in tool. I get the feeling that machine shops are just the most recalcitrant and curmudgeonly of all industries.)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

(machine stuff)

While our shop did finally get rid of them all, we had a few Haas machines that were like you just described. From what I recall you could upgrade for more memory for an arm and a leg up front, and your first born son on installation.

But now we have an EC400 which has essentially replaced everything but the lathe. Owner signed his soul for that one.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

It's such a weird thing about modern phones (smartphones): Terrible battery life, extremely fragile, horrible to hold, takes ages to make a simple call thanks to touch interface and poor sound. So many step backwards; if I used my iPhone for more actual phoning than "smart" stuff I'd go insane.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Well, ok, how about this for obsolete technology: Telephone Calls.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DNova posted:

How would those be obsolete?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Willfrey posted:

While our shop did finally get rid of them all, we had a few Haas machines that were like you just described. From what I recall you could upgrade for more memory for an arm and a leg up front, and your first born son on installation.

But now we have an EC400 which has essentially replaced everything but the lathe. Owner signed his soul for that one.

Yeah, ours is a Haas as well. Looks like the new versions have a USB port...ours has the hole labeled USB on it, but nothing installed. I don't know how much it cost in 2005 to get that, but I've heard it was indeed an arm/leg/burnt offering kind of deal. Same for the empty slot in the back for an ethernet card.

Ironically I haven't had any problems at all with drip-feeding via Hyperterminal -- you'd think it'd be less reliable but nope, works perfectly. I guess it's the same kind of situation as the banks that are still running IBM System Zs because it's cheaper to deal with the old-fashioned inconveniences than it is to go down temporarily or have an unexpected bug while upgrading to the new system.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

DNova posted:

Pizza says no.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I can get both local and dominos over the internet now. Pizza hut has a loving xbox pizza ordering thing. The time of death is coming

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I still make phone calls home and stuff on my smartphone all the time, and don't really have any issues whatsoever.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

slomomofo posted:

Pizza says no.

I order my pizza online. :science:

I am however disappointed by how many people try to handle complex, sensitive discussions via email, especially when there's five or more people copied in. One five minute conference call and it would be done.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

^^^ What he said

The only things that could replace phone calls are video phone calls (nope) and meeting in person. And since the telephone was basically invented to facilitate real-time voice communication in instances where meeting face-to-face was not feasible, welp...

If you think instant messaging, text chat, or e-mail serves the same purpose as voice communications then I don't know what to tell you.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

^^^ What he said

The only things that could replace phone calls are video phone calls (nope) and meeting in person. And since the telephone was basically invented to facilitate real-time voice communication in instances where meeting face-to-face was not feasible, welp...

If you think instant messaging, text chat, or e-mail serves the same purpose as voice communications then I don't know what to tell you.

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Voice calling isn't going to disappear but I guarantee you people are using voice calls less and less.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DNova posted:

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Oh, well, you never know these days. Some people seriously consider keyboards obsolete (although now it's touch control and not voice control like 15 years ago) or actually believe PCs are going to go away at some point.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Pilsner posted:

It's such a weird thing about modern phones (smartphones): Terrible battery life, extremely fragile, horrible to hold, takes ages to make a simple call thanks to touch interface and poor sound. So many step backwards; if I used my iPhone for more actual phoning than "smart" stuff I'd go insane.

I still use a regular "dumb" flip phone. I drop stuff all the time, hate having to charge something frequently, have small pockets on my clothes, and am too poor to be able to afford a data package that would make a smart phone worthwhile for me to have. Besides the fact that I spend enough time on the internet as it is, and having a smartphone would just make that habit worse.

People get weirdly annoyed with me for still having a flip phone. I'm not sure why as it literally does not affect them. It even has a leathery fat little case on it :3: At this time my boyfriend and I are the only people under the age of 30 that I personally know who don't own smart phones. I guess we're pretty much on the cutting edge of being obsolete.

edit: Another benefit is that I can text mad fast on this thing. I can effectively touch type without having to look at what I'm doing. I feel like that doesn't work with a touch screen + autocorrect.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I've removed email, internet and social media applications from my iPhone because I found myself in this terrible habit of always going on there when I had even one second of free time.

I am considering downgrading to a flip phone or something. Though, looking on Google, there seems to be a few people doing it, if only for an experiment.

Also loving people on phones at dinner and during a conversation and poo poo. Obsolete technology: manners.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I did downgrade because I got so tired of my android devices crashing, having buggy UIs, and generally angering me. $25 flip phone off amazon. Hasn't crashed once since February, only ran out of battery once, I recharge it once a week (if that) and it seems to be bulletproof.

If it weren't for the stupid thing running otu of storage space for texts and popping up an ultra annoying warning dialog that you have to watch until it times out whenever the battery is low or it runs out of SMS storage, it'd never piss me off.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Ron Burgundy posted:

Also loving people on phones at dinner and during a conversation and poo poo. Obsolete technology: manners.

There's a girl I don't hang out with anymore because she holds her phone basically right between our faces whenever I'd talk to her.

And yeah, at my friend's birthday dinner recently I looked around at the table and for the seven of us that were there, there were six phones sitting out on the table :/ I feel like one of those old people that gets upset when people have their elbows on the table or something, it often seems like I'm the only one who cares about that kind of poo poo anymore.

I feel like I've started a derail, so I'll mention something that's I guess obsolete since people usually have trash cans in their bathrooms now- my house was built in the '50s, and we haven't remodeled the bathroom pretty much at all. In the medicine cabinet is a little slot for when men were done shaving, they could drop the used up razor blade in there :3: I wonder if it's just a drop down into the walls of the house or if there's a little cut out cave in there where I'd find a whole bunch of razor blades from the previous occupant.

^^^Yeah, text message/data storage is the only thing that really bothers me. I'm a weirdo that likes to keep texts from people and my phone only holds 200 inbox texts, not including picture/media texts. I eventually started keeping a word document on my computer where I just type the texts/time/sender so I don't have to keep it on my phone but can still keep "the memory." It's not really that weird, I don't think. People used to save letters, after all.

And I guess I wish the camera was a bit better quality, but I'm not the type to take pictures all the time so it mostly doesn't matter in most situations.

sweeperbravo has a new favorite as of 02:37 on May 14, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

sweeperbravo posted:

I feel like I've started a derail, so I'll mention something that's I guess obsolete since people usually have trash cans in their bathrooms now- my house was built in the '50s, and we haven't remodeled the bathroom pretty much at all. In the medicine cabinet is a little slot for when men were done shaving, they could drop the used up razor blade in there :3: I wonder if it's just a drop down into the walls of the house or if there's a little cut out cave in there where I'd find a whole bunch of razor blades from the previous occupant.

Haha, these are amazing when redoing bathrooms. There are photos of people opening up the walls and thousands of rusty razor blades pour out!

edit: put your hand in there...

Ron Burgundy has a new favorite as of 02:43 on May 14, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ron Burgundy posted:

I hear ya- I will slap that poo poo out of your hand if you aren't paying attention.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

mactheknife posted:

I still make phone calls home and stuff on my smartphone all the time, and don't really have any issues whatsoever.
It works, but everything related to phoning was just easier, faster and more comfortable on my old regular Sony Ericsson phone, so to speak. Maybe it's just the iPhone that's poo poo.

Specifically, just making a call was a matter of pressing a few buttons which could be done blindfolded. On an iPhone, you have to tap tap drag drag tap tap just to make a call. The iPhone 4 also sucks to hold against your ear, fits poorly in the hand and has crap sound quality.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pilsner posted:

It works, but everything related to phoning was just easier, faster and more comfortable on my old regular Sony Ericsson phone, so to speak. Maybe it's just the iPhone that's poo poo.

Specifically, just making a call was a matter of pressing a few buttons which could be done blindfolded. On an iPhone, you have to tap tap drag drag tap tap just to make a call. The iPhone 4 also sucks to hold against your ear, fits poorly in the hand and has crap sound quality.

Nah, all smartphones are poo poo phones.

At work, I have a Samsung Galaxy III Mini. It's decent enough, great for email and browsing. It still can't match my own Sony-Ericsson at being a phone.

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Those pictures of old razor blades are some of the nicer ones, in pretty little piles. My sister had an old house where the razors just dropped down onto the dirt under the house. Since it was a pier and beam foundation water could get under there and spread the razors. We only found out about this when me and my dad were crawling around under the house. Luckily 50ish year old razors exposed to the elements aren't too sharp anymore. Imagine a dark hole about 2 feet high filled with cob webs, bugs, and a thin layer of rusty razor blades.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I can't even believe the razor thing is real. I've SEEN those slots in medicine cabinets before but I never scrutinized them. They just drop into the loving walls? What kind of person thinks that is an ok solution to anything?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

DNova posted:

I live in a small town in the middle of Norway (no where), so no. Also, a lot of people only anwser on their phones and never on e-mail or IMs. It's infuriating at times.

About the old Nokias, still got my 3310. Alive and kicking. I used to bring it to festivals because the battery seemingly lasted forever.

Also, Snake II.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DNova posted:

I can't even believe the razor thing is real. I've SEEN those slots in medicine cabinets before but I never scrutinized them. They just drop into the loving walls? What kind of person thinks that is an ok solution to anything?

Out of sight, out of mind.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DNova posted:

It's going into a relatively sealed compartment in the wall, razor blades don't rot or anything, and it would take many years of accumulation to fill the space. On the flip side, it means there's no need to put razors in the trash where they might cut people/bags/pets, and no need for a separate razor blade only trash dispenser that is either tiny or takes years to fill. A better question is, what kind of person has a genuine, rather than "this feels kinda counterintuitive", objection?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Killer robot posted:

It's going into a relatively sealed compartment in the wall, razor blades don't rot or anything, and it would take many years of accumulation to fill the space. On the flip side, it means there's no need to put razors in the trash where they might cut people/bags/pets, and no need for a separate razor blade only trash dispenser that is either tiny or takes years to fill. A better question is, what kind of person has a genuine, rather than "this feels kinda counterintuitive", objection?

People have been known to justify the use of piss bottles in their bedrooms, so this attitude doesn't surprise me. Feel free to fill up your walls with refuse all you want.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Please go look up the term "chamber pot".

People used to actually use the safety argument to justify shoving razors into holes in the wall instead of throwing them out. Just as they used to go to the bathroom in a chamber pot and then quite literally whip the contents out the window into the street.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Killer robot posted:

It would probably take decades at least to fill a wall - safety razors blades are really tiny and thin. You can get 200 into a space about the size of a deck of cards.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

kastein posted:

Please go look up the term "chamber pot".

People used to actually use the safety argument to justify shoving razors into holes in the wall instead of throwing them out. Just as they used to go to the bathroom in a chamber pot and then quite literally whip the contents out the window into the street.

The image of someone throwing toilet water out of the window screaming "GARDY LOO :byodood:" will never not be funny to me.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Gilgameshback posted:

It would probably take decades at least to fill a wall - safety razors blades are really tiny and thin. You can get 200 into a space about the size of a deck of cards.

Yeah. Which makes it exactly like storing your piss in bottles apparently.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

The image of someone throwing toilet water out of the window screaming "GARDY LOO :byodood:" will never not be funny to me.

No water involved :stonk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Killer robot posted:

Yeah. Which makes it exactly like storing your piss in bottles apparently.

A cardboard box will hold an infinite amount of piss, given time :mmmhmm:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's "gardez l'eau", which is French for "watch out for the water". It is the origin of the slang term "loo", though.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

sweeperbravo posted:

^^^Yeah, text message/data storage is the only thing that really bothers me. I'm a weirdo that likes to keep texts from people and my phone only holds 200 inbox texts, not including picture/media texts. I eventually started keeping a word document on my computer where I just type the texts/time/sender so I don't have to keep it on my phone but can still keep "the memory." It's not really that weird, I don't think. People used to save letters, after all.

And I guess I wish the camera was a bit better quality, but I'm not the type to take pictures all the time so it mostly doesn't matter in most situations.

It seems like you could probably find a feature phone with a week long battery that can still hold much more than 200 texts. Typing them out by hand seems insane. Can't you at least use a data cable to do regular dumps instead?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sagebrush posted:

CNC machine manufactured in 2005...has 1 megabyte (1024k) of internal program storage

That's just :psyduck:

My first job out of highschool (early 2000s) was running a circa-2000 three-axis CNC router at the lumbermill I was working at - the original operator was caught spending 5-6 hours a day surfing the web when he was :airquote: programming routines :airquote: - and I had taken a few years of metal shop including a babby CNC lathe and a few years of drafting including AutoCAD, so I was a shoe-in for the position. I can't remember the size of the memory on the router but I only had to delete programs maybe once every 2-3 weeks or when it got too full and navigating the three-line LCD screen on the controller got too difficult. I think I can remember one time in about a year and a half when we had to stream the routine because it was too large.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

therobotking posted:

It seems like you could probably find a feature phone with a week long battery that can still hold much more than 200 texts. Typing them out by hand seems insane. Can't you at least use a data cable to do regular dumps instead?

The cable only transfers "objects" like pictures, sounds, videos, etc. It doesn't register the texts as things that can be saved.

As for typing it out, eh, it's kind of calming :shobon:

The 200-text limit isn't too bad, it's kind of a first world problem for me to complain about it. I go through every couple days and delete the ones that aren't important. Gives me something to do while I'm on the toilet or if I'm too tired to get out of bed right away. Being out of college, I don't text quite as much as I used to, so it hardly matters. I guess it was a dumb thing for me to bring up in the first place, but it's one of the only "faults" I even have with my phone so that's probably why I mentioned it.

Here's an actual thing that bothers me about the phone- remember me talking about being able to text/type without looking? Sometimes my phone goes into Crazy Letters mode where it stops being able to parse my typing and, for instance, the word "too" becomes "tn" or "thinking" becomes "thghnkghng" :wtc: It's getting kind of old though so that's probably to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagnumLode
Apr 10, 2004

Have some Kool-Aid, dipshit.
I used to work in construction and I found a few of those razor blade caches. I always wondered why there was a ton of blades piled up inside the wall.

Interesting. Now I know.