Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Slavvy posted:

They're called bottle jacks, they look exactly like the business end of a hydraulic press but upside down, with a flat steel plate for a base. Isuzu Bighorns have them as a standard jack.

I know what a bottle jack is. Never owned one though because they are rare and costly beasts. The only ones I've seen are pretty small. Realistically about 70-80cm at full extension minimum is what's needed unless they are used directly on suspension parts. Both the Niva and the VW have roughly the same ground clearance. Actually I think the VW has a little more. Haven't needed to jack up the Niva yet but the VW has always been a bloody nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

thvwlshvscpd posted:

I have a set of collapsible chocks I keep in my DSM next to the factory scissor jack. :shrug:

A DSM owner being well prepared for a break down? You don't say! :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

I know what a bottle jack is. Never owned one though because they are rare and costly beasts. The only ones I've seen are pretty small. Realistically about 70-80cm at full extension minimum is what's needed unless they are used directly on suspension parts. Both the Niva and the VW have roughly the same ground clearance. Actually I think the VW has a little more. Haven't needed to jack up the Niva yet but the VW has always been a bloody nightmare.

Some light trucks come with factory bottle jacks. Although it won't help you, the Ford Explorer is a common place to pull one from in junkyards. The Hilux probably does too.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

General_Failure posted:

Harbor freight, or whatever the aus equivalent is, has them for next to nothing. You're right that they have terrible travel though. Maximum extension is a little less than double the height of the jack, and they are actually probably more prone to tipping than scissor jacks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jeeps typically have bottle jacks stock as well. I seem to recall those being rare in Australia however.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Supercheap auto

Sells Bottle Jacks 25

dollars is quite cheap.

Unless you're in some barbarian hinterland where Supercheap auto doesn't exist and you primarily conduct trade in trapped Bob Katter hatskins, in which case the above haiku isn't a lot of help.

Any jack you're likely to have in your boot is subject to toppling - assuming otherwise is really a bit daft. As long as you keep the jackscrew of your scissor jack greased, it's really no worse than anything else you're likely to have*.

*: People who have a trolley jack in their roadside breakdown kit should probably think about doing more preventative maintenance.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Jeeps typically have bottle jacks stock as well. I seem to recall those being rare in Australia however.

My TJ came with a bottle jack that would barely work with the stock tires and only if it were placed directly under the axle. It leaked out the hydraulic oil and got replaced with a cheap Harbor Freight floor jack, that barely works with the 33" tires I have now.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
A video from work today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfFOM0W7v0

It was as awesome as it looks. I drove it after we put it down and it actually handled fine but i wouldn't want to hit any big bumps with it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Toucan Sam posted:

A video from work today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfFOM0W7v0

It was as awesome as it looks. I drove it after we put it down and it actually handled fine but i wouldn't want to hit any big bumps with it.

Ha, I had to replace strut mounts on my sister's ex's car once, passenger's side looked just like that. Surprised the hell out of me too, it was only getting an oil change, the wheel dropped down when I lifted it off the ground.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Ford Explorer bottle jack is terrible. Do not use it. It takes one hojillion turns to lift even an inch, yet the turns are still difficult as gently caress, unlike every other "geared down" jack I've used. I have an easier time with the Harbor Freight ratchet jacks or even the Autozone-branded bottle jacks, and that's saying something.

Also the base on the 1993-1999 Explorer jack is tiny as poo poo and sinks into even cold asphalt, whereas proper bottle jacks have even a modicum of a base to prevent that from happening. Ford should seriously have just put a spike on the bottom of their jack and labeled it "one use only," then at least it would sink in and help prevent tipping, instead of just sinking in and being generally useless all around while risking the life of anyone within six feet of the car.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

The Ford Explorer bottle jack is terrible. Do not use it. It takes one hojillion turns to lift even an inch, yet the turns are still difficult as gently caress, unlike every other "geared down" jack I've used. I have an easier time with the Harbor Freight ratchet jacks or even the Autozone-branded bottle jacks, and that's saying something.

Also the base on the 1993-1999 Explorer jack is tiny as poo poo and sinks into even cold asphalt, whereas proper bottle jacks have even a modicum of a base to prevent that from happening. Ford should seriously have just put a spike on the bottom of their jack and labeled it "one use only," then at least it would sink in and help prevent tipping, instead of just sinking in and being generally useless all around while risking the life of anyone within six feet of the car.

The GMT800 GM trucks (Tahoe, Escalade, Suburban, etc) have a factory bottle jack (and some crappy wheel chocks) as standard equipment as well. Never had to use them so I can't speak to how well they work (probably not very).

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My 2004 Ford Ranger had a bottle jack.

Though it was loving useless I found out one night when I needed to use it, it's not tall enough to lift the tire off the ground, had to walk to a grocery store and break a pallet that was out back to get some wood to use as a spacer.

It was a Ranger Edge, which has a slight lift from the factory, but its still a loving joke that it doesnt actually work.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I get a text message from a friend, brake booster vacuum hose decided 75mph on the highway was the place to break off. Scared the crap out of him when he went to brake and nearly rearended some poor van. It's a 2005 Saab 93.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IPCRESS posted:

Supercheap auto

Sells Bottle Jacks 25

dollars is quite cheap.

Unless you're in some barbarian hinterland where Supercheap auto doesn't exist and you primarily conduct trade in trapped Bob Katter hatskins, in which case the above haiku isn't a lot of help.

Any jack you're likely to have in your boot is subject to toppling - assuming otherwise is really a bit daft. As long as you keep the jackscrew of your scissor jack greased, it's really no worse than anything else you're likely to have*.

*: People who have a trolley jack in their roadside breakdown kit should probably think about doing more preventative maintenance.

Hey now. I've carried a trolley jack before but it was because the OE jacks sucked balls. They don't seem to sink quite as much trying to lift a wheel out of mud either.

On the off chance the nearest supercrap sold bottle jacks they'd probably be the small ones. Too short for the VW and Lada, and too tall for the Ford. Anyhow there's a 90% chance it'd be DOA anyway.
Why am I cynical of Supercheap? The nearest one is about 100km away and it has an abysmal selection of stuff. I can't blame them because they cater to their market. Something sells more so they stock more. I'd say more than 1/2 the store is dedicated to lovely ricey things like pod filters, silicon hoses that don't fit anything, big gauges, stick on poo poo, off brand stereos and car covers / dash mats. "Useful" things I've tried buying from there more often than not come pre-broken. About the only thing I'll buy from there these days is fluids if I'm desperate. Commercial suppliers sell oils and coolants at better prices usually anyway.

As weird as it sounds I'd love something like a trolley jack but designed to auto offset for the pivot of the arm. I don't know how that would work. Perhaps even a geared or cam captive base. I just say this because they have a lot of reach, lifting ability and are relatively stable.

mdk
Oct 5, 2003
mdk

Black88GTA posted:

The GMT800 GM trucks (Tahoe, Escalade, Suburban, etc) have a factory bottle jack (and some crappy wheel chocks) as standard equipment as well. Never had to use them so I can't speak to how well they work (probably not very).

They work fine, I lifted a good size boat with one.

It actually seemed to be gear driven, you put those 3 rods into a key-way (that yellow piece on the jack) and crank it with the tire iron. The main problem is those 3 rods are stored under the truck and are probably pretty rusty by the time you need them if you live in the salt belt.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My dad's old 1996 LandRover Discovery came with one of these:

It was pretty good!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

What's worse than a scissor jack? Half a scissor jack!

is basically what came with my passat. gently caress that thing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BurgerQuest posted:

My dad's old 1996 LandRover Discovery came with one of these:

It was pretty good!

I'm looking at this thing and wondering if it's still possible to somehow have an electrical failure

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

This thing is in the top 20 GIS results for "widowmaker" for a reason.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Sudo Echo posted:

I get a text message from a friend, brake booster vacuum hose decided 75mph on the highway was the place to break off. Scared the crap out of him when he went to brake and nearly rearended some poor van. It's a 2005 Saab 93.

Mine (2001 9-3) did that recently too. I had just started a 400mile road trip. I nursed it back home and bodged it with some araldite and a paper clip and then wrapped it in loads of electrical tape and restarted my drive with it all taped to the intake pipework in the engine bay to holdiit still while it dried. Still holding 4 months later.

There is another joint/junction in the same pipe so you probably want to look at that one too as it will also be brittle! Mine also snapped there and went loose such that it only came apart when you braked on certain gradients or corners giving you intermittent servo at random times.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

A lot of people hate on the E34's jack but I really hate the scissor jacks that come with a lot of cars and this really is a better solution for a jack you only use in an emergency.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

EightBit posted:

This thing is in the top 20 GIS results for "widowmaker" for a reason.

The 2nd result for "vw scissor jack" is a parts diagram of one with WIDOMAKER written underneath.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Got a fella like this down at the local tractor supply. I'm itchy for the spare cash I can piece together to grab it. It's been a few weeks since I saw it, but I'm pretty sure it's stronger than a 3 ton shown here.

Linky

I have a strong dislike for scissor jacks, and a regular bottle doesn't get my trust either, with the small base area. With the base on this jack, I think I'd be better off.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

My C63 came with one of those, and like a 105 wide tire, thankfully only had to change the rear tire once in an airport parking lot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

shoopeach posted:

My C63 came with one of those, and like a 105 wide tire, thankfully only had to change the rear tire once in an airport parking lot.

You should totally get four of those spares and try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Good time to post me changing the tires on my 720.

My legs were previously under the frame about a second before the jack tipped over. The truck seemed perfectly fine after though.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Horse Divorce posted:

Got a fella like this down at the local tractor supply. I'm itchy for the spare cash I can piece together to grab it. It's been a few weeks since I saw it, but I'm pretty sure it's stronger than a 3 ton shown here.

Linky

I have a strong dislike for scissor jacks, and a regular bottle doesn't get my trust either, with the small base area. With the base on this jack, I think I'd be better off.

Not going to lie, I saw the thumbnail and assumed it was a Dale Earnhhardt themed bottle jack. This is what living in the south does to me.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
My old mk4 jetta had just enough room behind the spare if you took out the foam that held the stock lovely scissor jack to put a hydraulic floor jack there. The 2 flats I had were like..9 minute affairs after that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The first time I used a VAG suicide jack (the super flimsy aluminum one on an 01 audi a4 avant quattro a friend owns), it was on a sloped dirt road and worked fine. I was extra extra extra careful of course.

The second time it was on flat level pavement and the loving thing tipped over, trapped itself under the suspension, bent the rear brake dust shield and I had to finagle my jeep's bottle jack under a solid spot in the suspension and jack it back up with that. Never again t:mad:

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I bought a set of 3 ton jackstands from Harbor Freight. They don't have the nice locking pins that the ones I got from AutoZone ("Big Red!") do but they work. I was surprised to see each one printed with the 3 Ton sticker as a close reading of the box showed that they were certified to carry 3 tons combined, not individually. Maybe that labeling is standard and I'm just naive?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
last time I jacked up my car I used a forklift, the pictures probably should have ended up in the post awful poo poo about cars thread.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

D C posted:

My 2004 Ford Ranger had a bottle jack.

Though it was loving useless I found out one night when I needed to use it, it's not tall enough to lift the tire off the ground, had to walk to a grocery store and break a pallet that was out back to get some wood to use as a spacer.

It was a Ranger Edge, which has a slight lift from the factory, but its still a loving joke that it doesnt actually work.

If it's like the ones that come with the F-series trucks of that time it's supposed to go on the lower control arm. There's even a notch for it there. It won't get high enough to lift from anywhere else, especially if you expect it to take up the suspension drop.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

netwerk23 posted:

I bought a set of 3 ton jackstands from Harbor Freight. They don't have the nice locking pins that the ones I got from AutoZone ("Big Red!") do but they work. I was surprised to see each one printed with the 3 Ton sticker as a close reading of the box showed that they were certified to carry 3 tons combined, not individually. Maybe that labeling is standard and I'm just naive?

Every set of jackstands I've seen have all said that it was the combined weight, not individual.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Horse Divorce posted:

Linky

I'm seriously considering this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A bunch of pictures of a blown up AX5 man trans out of a '94 YJ.

kastein posted:

Finally decided to pull the junk AX5 apart that I'd removed when repairing the frame rails, installing a new trans crossmember, and installing a new clutch+transmission on a friend of a friend's '94 YJ.

Symptoms: very hard to shift, leaking oil like a sieve, bellhousing leaking some sort of disgusting sludge, randomly sticks in second gear and has to be pounded on to get it back out. Grinds. Finally stuck in second gear so badly it wouldn't come back out for any reason.

What came out of it

(the clear spot is from water that was in the bottom of the transmission)

mmmmmmm, tasty.

apparently the clutch had a haircut recently

little bit o' play in the input bearing

it wobbles the other way too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvG_UGUCFk
you know what really grinds my gears?

the fluid between the spirals is water. This is one of the shift rail detent springs.

dear seal spring: what are you doing here?

why did half of a synchro clutch key just fall out of the tail housing into my hand?

input shaft bearing got just a little toasty. Maybe this has something to do with why there's a ridiculous amount of slop in the input shaft and you can hear it grind when you turn the shaft :haw:

hey, I found the other half of the synchro clutch key! Why is it dented?

together again

Chapter 2, or "why the synchro clutch key was dented":

look at the teeth on the countershaft gear closest to the center of the pic

couple little chunks out of the mainshaft gear that mates with it, too. I wonder why?

can't see it real well due to my amazing photography skills, but the flange on the mainshaft in between the caged bearings that second/third ride on is... shattered. In multiple pieces. The only reason it's even still inside the gear train is because it's trapped by the shape of the two gears.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Godholio posted:

I'm seriously considering this.

I'm considering a pair. That will solve several cases of "well it's up, where do you put a stand now :saddowns:"?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

EightBit posted:

I'm considering a pair. That will solve several cases of "well it's up, where do you put a stand now :saddowns:"?

I had a serious issue with this on the Volvo 240. You jack it up with the jacking points, and then there's not anywhere else to shove a jackstand. I ended up jacking on the center cross-frame-rails with a 2x4 and the floor jack and getting jackstands under both ends at the jacking points.

But yeah, that thing looks pretty drat slick!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

netwerk23 posted:

I don't trust the $30 3 ton stands to be able to hold anywhere near what they're supposed to be able to hold. So I got the $45 6 ton locking ones with the assumption that they can probably only safely hold 3 tons which is plenty for holding half of my 3,500 pound car. There's no kill like overkill.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Beach Bum posted:

I had a serious issue with this on the Volvo 240. You jack it up with the jacking points, and then there's not anywhere else to shove a jackstand. I ended up jacking on the center cross-frame-rails with a 2x4 and the floor jack and getting jackstands under both ends at the jacking points.

That's the way you're supposed to do it on the 240, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

xsf421 posted:

Not going to lie, I saw the thumbnail and assumed it was a Dale Earnhhardt themed bottle jack. This is what living in the south does to me.

The other side has a sticker of Calvin peeing on the Harbor Freight logo.