Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Internet Explorer posted:

If I ever meet anyone responsible for the VNX line I am going to punch them in the face. Our two VNX 5300 were the buggiest pieces of poo poo.

What did you do to those poor little things? Only time I've seen issues with them is during upgrades to 5.32 flare code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Our VNX5500's haven't been terrible, but our old NetApp units had less issues. One of our VNX5500's sent us erroneous emails about a fan being dead or something even though everything was fine. Updating the code fixed it. Support has been good so far, but our old NetApp 3020's were basically problem free.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources for NetApp E5400 and HP EVA P6000 devices? I've already got a full understanding of NAS/SAN tech however I've only really worked with IBM NAS/SAN devices before so it'd be much appreciated if anyone could recommend some reading material which goes into the specific nuances of the aforementioned NetApp and HP devices.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Amandyke posted:

What did you do to those poor little things? Only time I've seen issues with them is during upgrades to 5.32 flare code.

I had an issue where a firmware upgrade bricked the 5300. Seriously, they had to send us two new SPs from the local depot and then do some voodoo to revert the upgrade. In the next release the release notes specifically mentioned fixing that problem. Here lately I've taken to just calling up EMC and telling them to send a tech whenever I need something upgraded because I don't want to catch poo poo again for installing a buggy upgrade. I'll let EMC take the blame if it fucks up.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

So apparently I jinxed myself. EMC came down today to upgrade our VNX5300 from 5.31 to 5.32 to match our other SAN. I haven't touched the thing aside from running through VIA and already one of the control stations was hosed and had to be reinstalled. The upgrade of the file portion went well once that was fixed. Moving on to block, yeah well it shat itself with the same problem the other one had that was supposedly fixed by EMC in the release we're upgrading to. Thankfully this VNX is the DR SAN so I don't have to work all weekend getting it back up.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I have a fax server (running Windows) with a 1TB storage volume that's producing 70GB snapshots per day, despite receiving only about 1GB of faxes per day. Any suggestions for tools at the OS level to track down the source of the change rate? There are 8M+ files involved here. I can't replicate it for DR until I can find it and fix it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What kind of snapshots?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Array snapshots. So that represents 70GB of block changes across the 1TB volume.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What version of Windows is writing to that volume? If it is 2003 or earlier consider disabling the last accessed timestamp on files. NTFSDisableLastAccessUpdate
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\ (REG_DWORD)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KS posted:

Array snapshots. So that represents 70GB of block changes across the 1TB volume.
Did some genius set up a nightly defrag job?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Seems like asking about defragging servers would be an excellent sysadmin interview question. If the candidate lets you finish asking without punching you in the face, show them the door.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Internet Explorer posted:

What version of Windows is writing to that volume? If it is 2003 or earlier consider disabling the last accessed timestamp on files. NTFSDisableLastAccessUpdate
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\ (REG_DWORD)

Thanks, going to try this. It is indeed 2003.

Thankfully no defrag. We're not that bad -- just bad enough to still be using Server 2003 for a hugely important app. But I'm sure I'm not alone there :)

KS fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 2, 2013

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KS posted:

Thanks, going to try this. It is indeed 2003.

Thankfully no defrag. We're not that bad -- just bad enough to still be using Server 2003 for a hugely important app. But I'm sure I'm not alone there :)

What kind of storage array is this? What is the snapshot block size? What is the underlying block size that windows is using?

It would be really hard to generate 70GB of changes from timestamp changes. Timestamps are just a few bytes stored in the files record so you'd be changing, at most, a single block on disk. To generate that much change data with a fairly standard block size of 4k you would have to have about 17 million files updating their access times, which you probably don't have. If your array snapshots are happening at a much larger block size, that could have a compounding effect.

If disabling the access timestamps doesn't produce results I would start by generating a report showing all files with a modify time within the past 24 hours to get an idea of what files are changing, and then try to figure out what might be causing them to change.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 2, 2013

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Already looked at changed files, nothing obvious. It's a Compellent array, so 2MB blocks for snapshots. I think the access time thing is a strong possibility given the profile of the server -- we're going to try it on Sunday.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KS posted:

Already looked at changed files, nothing obvious. It's a Compellent array, so 2MB blocks for snapshots. I think the access time thing is a strong possibility given the profile of the server -- we're going to try it on Sunday.

Yea, a 2MB snapshot block size could certainly do it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KS posted:

Already looked at changed files, nothing obvious. It's a Compellent array, so 2MB blocks for snapshots.
So, how many changed files?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

evil_bunnY posted:

So, how many changed files?

70GB / 2MB blocks = 35,000, give or take.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

madsushi posted:

70GB / 2MB blocks = 35,000, give or take.
Yes I can do basic math thank you :smith: I wondered whether this was the actual issue.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
There are <8,000 changed files on a daily basis when searching by date modified, totaling less than 1GB.

However, a service constantly scans directories containing 700k+ files. It's read-only -- it looks for faxes containing a barcode and links them to a web app. Access time seems like a really good explanation. I'll update after Sunday.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Here's an update as promised. Sunday and Monday's snapshots were 2 and 9 GB respectively. Thanks to Internet Explorer for the fix. That helps quite a bit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Glad to hear that fixed it for you. Thanks for the update. Was getting curious and was about to ask how it went.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I hope it's ok if I ask a total noob question here. I'm not a storage guy at all, but I'm working on getting my VCP, which requires a decent baseline knowledge.

I'm looking at the paths to a particular disk, and the target's WWNN and WWPN are identical. I thought the whole point of WWNs was that they're universally unique? For example, here's something I found in a vmware kb article showing the same thing (emphasis mine)--
fc.5001438005685fb7:5001438005685fb6-fc.5006048c536915af:5006048c536915af-naa.60060480000290301014533030303130

The datastore works fine so it's obviously allowed, I'm just having trouble grasping why.

Gravel
Mar 11, 2013
Gravel is a delicious food for people.

stubblyhead posted:

I hope it's ok if I ask a total noob question here. I'm not a storage guy at all, but I'm working on getting my VCP, which requires a decent baseline knowledge.

I'm looking at the paths to a particular disk, and the target's WWNN and WWPN are identical. I thought the whole point of WWNs was that they're universally unique? For example, here's something I found in a vmware kb article showing the same thing (emphasis mine)--
fc.5001438005685fb7:5001438005685fb6-fc.5006048c536915af:5006048c536915af-naa.60060480000290301014533030303130

The datastore works fine so it's obviously allowed, I'm just having trouble grasping why.

WWNN and WWPN aren't universally unique inside all namespaces, just within their own namespaces. The former uniquely identifies an endpoint behind the physical connection, and the latter uniquely identifies the physical connection itself. I'm not 100%, but I think when the two are identical it implies that you're running a configuration where there's only one connection path for that HBA.

It makes sense if you think about it since you really need the pair of identifiers to specify both the destination and the path to it - the pairing is definitely always globally unique.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
This seems like the best place to ask: has anyone here had any experience with SAS switches? I wasn't even aware that they existed until I stumbled upon this yesterday:

http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS6160Switch.aspx

Seems like a cheap way to implement shared storage without involving any expensive FC cards or switches. Two of these paired with a couple of MD1200 seems like a great way to set up some storage for some ESX or Hyper-V hosts, at least in a dev environment.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You'll still need a software layer that can deal with shared storage, and fail gracefully.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

You'll still need a software layer that can deal with shared storage, and fail gracefully.

So something like OCFS2, VMFS, GFS2, etc?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Goon Matchmaker posted:

So something like OCFS2, VMFS, GFS2, etc?

The filesystem lock manager that all of those depend on (lock_dlm, ocfs2_dlm, etc) more so than the actual filesystem. You need a cluster manager to handle that aspect of it (vSphere, RHCS, OCFS2's native DLM/cluster manager, something hacked up with Corosync/Pacemaker, whatever) more than just "mkfs.gfs2", but those filesystems are the general idea, yeah.

Intraveinous
Oct 2, 2001

Legion of Rainy-Day Buddhists

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I see what you mean, the thing doesn't even have USB. Back to the drawing board.

Edit: How about a Proliant ML330 G3?

Sorry for the necromancy, but this provided me so much joy/horror, I couldn't not bring it back.

What did you end up getting? I think I'll be decommissioning some older boxen in the near future if you're still needing something.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So I'm currently supporting an environment which has a HP EVA SAN with two NetApp filers. NDMP backups are being done from the NetApp directly to tape.

Today it took two hours to restore a single folder containing two PDFs. Kill me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Intraveinous posted:

Sorry for the necromancy, but this provided me so much joy/horror, I couldn't not bring it back.

What did you end up getting? I think I'll be decommissioning some older boxen in the near future if you're still needing something.

I'm still needing something, those were too old. PM me if you have some newer-ish stuff and I might be able to purchase it off you.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good iSCSI target solution for Linux that supports SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation? I've setup a small lab on my home PC to learn about Microsoft Failover Clustering and need to provision shared storage to the cluster nodes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

Can anyone recommend a good iSCSI target solution for Linux that supports SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation? I've setup a small lab on my home PC to learn about Microsoft Failover Clustering and need to provision shared storage to the cluster nodes.
LIO supports SCSI-3 PGRs, but my honest recommendation is to skip Linux here and go with COMSTAR from an Illumos derivative (OmniOS would probably be my choice). There is absolutely no comparison among other open-source stacks in terms of robustness, performance, and maturity.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cheese-cube posted:

So I'm currently supporting an environment which has a HP EVA SAN with two NetApp filers. NDMP backups are being done from the NetApp directly to tape.

Today it took two hours to restore a single folder containing two PDFs. Kill me.

This is what snapshots are for? I don't understand how something ended up on tape but not in your daily snap(s)?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

This is what snapshots are for? I don't understand how something ended up on tape but not in your daily snap(s)?
Why would someone have the same retention policy for tape and on-disk snapshots? :confused:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Heh tape.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Is there an answer to "I need to keep x TB of stuff for 7 years" that isn't tape? Tapes are comforting really, they can't get corrupted by bad firmware or hit by a power surge or become EoL'd by a vendor. The drives can but you can always find drives.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No it's fine, but the less I have to read from them (outside of checks) the happier I am. poo poo's slow, and some robots can be finicky (hello HP).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Misogynist posted:

Why would someone have the same retention policy for tape and on-disk snapshots? :confused:

The answer to both of these is :iiam:

We are in the process of completely overhauling the environment so hopefully things will get better. For backups they are using CommVault which I've never really used before but it seems pretty solid so far (Given that I've only had about 4 weeks to work with it).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Misogynist posted:

LIO supports SCSI-3 PGRs, but my honest recommendation is to skip Linux here and go with COMSTAR from an Illumos derivative (OmniOS would probably be my choice). There is absolutely no comparison among other open-source stacks in terms of robustness, performance, and maturity.

Is what you're suggesting free? I'm really just looking to setup a small home lab environment and want to avoid purchasing anything (Hence why I'm going with Hyper-V).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cheese-cube posted:

The answer to both of these is :iiam:

We are in the process of completely overhauling the environment so hopefully things will get better. For backups they are using CommVault which I've never really used before but it seems pretty solid so far (Given that I've only had about 4 weeks to work with it).

I'm not complaining that there are tapes, just that for deleted folders and other simple file recoveries, it's usually much, much faster to use a storage devices volume snapshot abilities to go back in time X hours/days and grab it.

Unless you have historical tape that goes back much farther than the snapshots are able to and these are very old files that went missing?