Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Weird, the automatic URL parsing messed up the link. I fixed it.

It's a 1989 Chrysler Lebaron Sport Convertible. It looks to be in pretty good condition (of course I would go test drive it, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's a joke right? Please tell me it's a joke. That's a terrible idea.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

skipdogg posted:

That's a joke right? Please tell me it's a joke. That's a terrible idea.

Not only is this advice true, it's coming from a guy who drives a car that can be arguably considered the end development of the Lebaron line.

There's pretty much nothing good about that car. It's going to be slow, handling is best described as "it has the ability to turn", in a crash it's going to fold up into a ball and kill you, and it's probably going to need way more work than it's worth.

nonedit: And I said all of that before realizing that you want to spend $5500 on one. Holy poo poo. If you really want a convertible, get a Miata (that money should buy you nearly any NA, or an older / higher mileage NB)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

That link doesn't link to a specific car. Perhaps you could post the make/model and we can provide information.

I am 6'8 and I am having some thoughts about replacing my ford ranger, which I fit in. My price range would be around $3000-6000, but probably on the lower end of that. Are there any models(specifically cars) in that price range that I might be able to fit in? I know that I fit in the toyota t100 and I really like those a lot, and I would jump on a 2wd 3.4L manual t100 if I ever find one. I am in America.

Anything wrong with another ranger (need something bigger?)? That price range will get you a much better ranger than a Toyota.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I'm aware of that, and it will always be an option, but I was thinking of non truck options. I am limited to pre-98 rangers too. There is a brace on the ceiling of the newer ones that is larger than the brace on my '95. Aside from that the Ranger has been super cheap to maintain and really reliable. Mine is just lifted and on larger tires and I don't need the 4x4 and the 15mpg anymore.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Zyme posted:

When I was looking at newish f150s I read a lot of reports about the ecoboost gas mileage going to poo poo after a while for unknown reasons. I don't know for sure if that is a legitimate concern but it might be worth looking into.

There is some grumbling that Ford is kind of screwing with the availability of the rear end ratios on the ecoboost so that either the version with the really good fuel economy numbers had the rear end that no one ever bought/was useless for towing, or that they were making some ratios unavailable on the V8 just to make the V6 look better, one of those I can't remember which.

I think there are lots of reviews on the 2014 GC? It's a massively popular/successful car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not only is this advice true, it's coming from a guy who drives a car that can be arguably considered the end development of the Lebaron line.

There's pretty much nothing good about that car. It's going to be slow, handling is best described as "it has the ability to turn", in a crash it's going to fold up into a ball and kill you, and it's probably going to need way more work than it's worth.

nonedit: And I said all of that before realizing that you want to spend $5500 on one. Holy poo poo. If you really want a convertible, get a Miata (that money should buy you nearly any NA, or an older / higher mileage NB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7aDstrDMf0&t=160s

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

This was a significant factor in my decision making process. However, the car is not white.

AzizAnstarmie
Dec 17, 2010
Proposed Budget: $10,000-$19,000
New or Used: Can't decide
Body Style: subcompact hatchback if new, coupe or sedan if used
How will you be using the car?: I currently work from home with zero commute of any sort. In the fall I will be attending school part time but I'm not concerned about that, the drive is relatively short. I most drive around my city, 5-20km trips, with the monthly expedition into Vancouver which is a 45-60 minute drive. 10,000 km annual use predicted

What aspects are most important to you?: My biggest concern is cost to operate. I live in British Columbia and our insurance rates can be murderous. For new cars I'm looking at Honda Fit, Mazda 2, and Fiat 500. Rational is that these are cheap to purchase and maintain while not being completely boring. That being said they're still rather pedestrian. What I would really like is an 06 G35, 07 Altima 3.5se, or 06 Miata. I'm just worried about how much more expensive these cars would be to drive each year. I think the fact that I don't drive lots means the biggest cost would be insurance. Will these used cars be overly expensive to maintain? I understand that routine maintenance will be more, especially for the G35, but based on consumer reports I shouldn't expect any major issues within the next few years.

I know I could afford a new subcompact with average use of 15,000 miles or 25,000 kms a year. Is it unrealistic to think the cost of the used cars would be close to that if I'm driving them half as much.

Based on the Edmunds TCO tool I would guess that the cost of driving each car 7,500 miles or 12,000 kms a year would be: G35 $6K, Altima $5k, Miata $5k. Does sound even close to accurate or am I way off?

e: Meant g35, not g37.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

This is my baby:

Its a 97 Nissan 200SX (aka Nissan Sylvia). I've had it for close to ten years now and I love it, but its age is starting to show and so I'm in the market for something new. Basically, I want the same car, but newer and turned up to 11.

Proposed Budget: ~$40,000 AUD, Yes I'm in Australia
New or Used: Either, although with a new car I have the option of a novated lease through my employer.
Body Style: Coupe. Two doors, or even just two seats. 99% of my driving is done with just me in the car and 99.9% with less than two people.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly daily driving. I'd like something sporty that responds well and can overtake on the highway without much effort. Manual transmission, excellent air-conditioning and cruise control are a must, but speed and handling are probably what will drive my decision.

I'd prefer something with a full sized spare tire, but that's not such a big deal

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 9, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Dibujante posted:

So, I've never owned a car before. I am an apartment dweller and most of my transportation needs are met by public transit. That said, I want to purchase a car this month to allow me to do a few things that transit won't do for me, like make it out to the gym during non-transit hours, visit friends, get groceries, etc.

I've been doing research on new and used cars, warranties, common repairs, cost of ownership, etc., and it has me completely confused as to what is really going to keep my cost of ownership down. My main concern is long-term cost. I'm liquid enough to put down an investment up front in order to keep my total costs at a minimum, and my requirements for what the car needs to do are not high (convey two people a limited distance inside of a small city).

I hope this isn't too unstructured of a request. Right now I'm trying to decide between stringing together <$4000 beaters with unusually low mileage, buying <$8000 used cars from a dealership with unusually low mileage, or buying new and trying to get an amazing bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Proposed Budget: I don't know :ohdear: I have $14,000 cash on hand that's not earmarked for anything (but I could always save it), no debt, and have a very good credit rating.
New or Used: I don't know :ohdear:
Body Style: Small. My ideal would be a 2-door smart car or something tiny - only the wife and I need to drive it, and we are never having kids. That said, I'm flexible on that - I just don't want a van or a truck.
How will you be using the car?: I would probably drive it upwards of three times a week around town. I do not anticipate much highway driving, commuting (I walk 5 minutes to work), etc. I don't need any bells and whistles, except for one caveat: I live in Canada, a very harsh part of the world where temperatures regularly hit and stay below -40 during the winter. I know I need to equip my vehicle with a block heater, but don't know how the overall increase in wear and tear (if there is any?) is going to affect what kind of vehicle has the lowest total cost of ownership. I also have no space to perform non-trivial maintenance on the car myself, since I live in an apartment without covered parking.

If you don't have a driving history then insurance is going to be quite expensive for you too. Unless you like driving for fun it sounds like you are better off not buying a car and just renting and using zipcar or whatever if they are available in your city.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're in Canada keep in mind that there are lots of province laws about such things as snow tires. Frankly, if you have access to public transportation and only need it for groceries etc it's way more trouble than it's worth. I feel like a broke record. But if you have good credit and don't mind taking a loan, you can get a nice line on a new subcompact (Fiesta, Fit, Accent, Sonic etc) all of which are pretty decent. However, if you are parking that poo poo on the street, buy a beater.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Proposed Budget: ~$15,000

New or Used: Either, though I imagine used would get me better bang for my buck.

Body Style: Small SUV or hatchback

How will you be using the car?: Day to day driving is pretty small. Twice monthly trips over mountain passes, and it gets quite snowy here a few months of the year.

What aspects are most important to you?: AWD or 4WD, decent gas mileage

I had a Forrester many moons ago that I loved, and I currently drive a Pathfinder which has been extremely reliable - but it's a bit big for me. I've got nothing but time, I'm just saving up as much money as I can.

AzizAnstarmie
Dec 17, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

If you don't have a driving history then insurance is going to be quite expensive for you too. Unless you like driving for fun it sounds like you are better off not buying a car and just renting and using zipcar or whatever if they are available in your city.

I'm fairly certain that you start building towards a good record from the moment you get your license in Canada. I got my license at 16 but didn't get my first car until I was 21 and I had a five year clean driver discount. I live in BC but I think it's the same across the country.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Does "clean driver" indicate that you have actually been driving(i.e. history), or just that you've not had an accident? It probably varies between provinces. Age and gender is really the biggest issue anyway, more than record or type of car. In Alberta once I turned 25 my insurance went down by more than 50% to a pretty typical level although I am a terrible driver and crash into things all the time.

quote:

If you're in Canada keep in mind that there are lots of province laws about such things as snow tires. Frankly, if you have access to public transportation and only need it for groceries etc it's way more trouble than it's worth. I feel like a broke record. But if you have good credit and don't mind taking a loan, you can get a nice line on a new subcompact (Fiesta, Fit, Accent, Sonic etc) all of which are pretty decent. However, if you are parking that poo poo on the street, buy a beater.

I don't think this tire thing is true, certainly I've never heard about such a thing in the provinces I live in. I know in Quebec (no one lives in Quebec) there might be a requirement but it's only that in the winter the tires must have a "M&S" on the sidewall, which I think most OEM all-seasons have anyway? Maybe you can't drive around on P-Zero Corsa Rossos in the winter but it doesn't actually mean anything.

quote:

Proposed Budget: ~$15,000

New or Used: Either, though I imagine used would get me better bang for my buck.

Body Style: Small SUV or hatchback

How will you be using the car?: Day to day driving is pretty small. Twice monthly trips over mountain passes, and it gets quite snowy here a few months of the year.

What aspects are most important to you?: AWD or 4WD, decent gas mileage

I had a Forrester many moons ago that I loved, and I currently drive a Pathfinder which has been extremely reliable - but it's a bit big for me. I've got nothing but time, I'm just saving up as much money as I can.

There's really nothing on the market that fits your criteria for that price that's actually worth upgrading to. In a few more years either a Nissan Juke or a Subaru XV will get cheap enough but they are both too new right now. Companies didn't really start making really small AWD wagons until the last year or so. Prior to this you were looking at either an Impreza (rust, poo poo fuel economy) or a Ford Escape (questionable build quality, poor crash test scores, drives like poo poo, isn't really that small), plus some stuff like the Suzuki SX4 that they never actually sold any so you'll never find one used.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't think this tire thing is true, certainly I've never heard about such a thing in the provinces I live in. I know in Quebec (no one lives in Quebec) there might be a requirement but it's only that in the winter the tires must have a "M&S" on the sidewall, which I think most OEM all-seasons have anyway? Maybe you can't drive around on P-Zero Corsa Rossos in the winter but it doesn't actually mean anything.

Actually, Quebec requires the mountain snowflake
http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pa...ion_pneus_hiver
A (The?) thing Quebec's government does right.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 9, 2019

AzizAnstarmie
Dec 17, 2010

Dibujante posted:

Here in Saskatchewan, there is no snow tire requirement. I wish there were, because people here drive like assholes and body damage abounds.

What's renting a car like? What kind of liability (maintenance, etc.) do I experience on a long-term rental?

Yet in BC we do require winter tires. While most of BC does experience regular snow in the winter, 80% of BC's population will see >1" of snow in a year, and even then it's only around for a couple of days.

darklink28
Nov 16, 2008
Proposed Budget: $20,000

New or Used: Either

Body Style: Coupe or Sedan, small to mid-size

How will you be using the car?: I'm moving to Atlanta from abroad for school. I've never been (to ATL) before, but I'm living close by to campus, which is out in the suburbs. Trips to the city center proper require a car, apparently the public transport isn't very good. Still, I prefer to walk as much as possible, so it's likely I won't rack up too much mileage but having a car should give me flexibility and the ability to explore the city proper.

I've had an Accord(09, new at the time) sedan for the past 3 years and I liked it. I'm considering an Accord coupe this time around. Top priority is reliability as I know nothing about cars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Any decent small hatchbacks under $18k that I'm missing? Doing an initial search for a relative who can afford the convenience of a new car but wants purely utility and doesn't mind driving stick.
  • Honda Fit
  • Chevy Sonic
  • Ford Fiesta
  • Mazda 2

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Dodge Dart?

Badmana
Jul 28, 2004
WARNING: FROM SCARBOROUGH.

DO NOT TOUCH.

Dibujante posted:

Anyways, I am going to get a scooter >.> I may revisit the car issue in the fall when dealers have good deals going on to clear out old inventory (that is a thing that happens, right?).

I hope so. I'm planning on buying a $40K Toyota Venza limited sometime in October or November. I want to get the best price possible and I'm in no rush.

Does anyone know when they stop making this year's model? I probably will have to order the colour/version I want (the touring+JBL version isn't very common in red).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Any decent small hatchbacks under $18k that I'm missing? Doing an initial search for a relative who can afford the convenience of a new car but wants purely utility and doesn't mind driving stick.
  • Honda Fit
  • Chevy Sonic
  • Ford Fiesta
  • Mazda 2

VW Golf starts right at $18k
Honda Insight hybrid starts at $18.6k
Hyundai Accent 5-door starts at $16.1k
Ford Focus 5-door starts at $19.2k
Toyota Yaris starts at $14.4k
Toyota Matrix starts at $19.3k.
Toyota Prius C hybrid starts at $19k
Chevy Spark starts at $12.2k
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback starts at $18.5k
Dodge Dart starts at $16k Dodge Dart isn't a hatch.
Kia Forte 5-door starts at $18.3k
Kia Rio 5-door starts at $13.8k
Kia Soul starts at $14.4k (not really a traditional hatchback but it might meet your relative's needs)
Nissan Versa Hatchback starts at $14.7k
Nissan Cube starts at $16.8k (also not really a hatchback but again might meet someone's cargo needs)
Nissan Juke starts at $19k (a crossover SUV but it's fairly car-sized)
Scion iQ starts at $16.2k
Scion xB starts at $17.5k (manual) or $18.5k (auto) (another boxy mini-truck thing like the Cube and the Soul)
Scion xD starts at $16.5k (manual) or $17.5l (auto) (another

I listed a couple cars that MSRP a bit above $18k, because you can often get cars for below MSRP and also maybe your relative's $18k limit is a little flexible? These are all the website-advertised 2013 MSRPs for base models, so depending on what options your relative wants, some of these may be too expensive but I included them for completeness' sake.

Of the above cars, I don't know that any of them are universally terrible. Several are not regularly recommended in this thread, but you have to really look hard to find a new car being sold today that is just total poo poo. Of the above, the Prius is regularly recommended, I think the Dart is pretty great (edit: but it isn't a hatch), the Kias are extremely inexpensive (but come with a good warranty) and you can tell (they do feel a bit cheap), the Versa is fairly bare-bones but a decent value. A lot of these cars I'd like better on the lightly-used market, particularly the Kias and Hyundai. I'd avoid the Cube (I think it looks stupid), and I have no opinion on the rest.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 14, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Dart isn't a hatch.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat, you're right. Suddenly I like it a lot less. :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is going to sound absurd but... lately I've been angsting over my soon to be ownership of two cars. I own (no loan) a '10 Jetta TDi. I have bought my father's '01 F250 diesel for $8k as the last truck I will ever buy or need to buy.

The truck is primarily for running heavy lifting tasks which will come along with having a house and setting up/maintaining a garden. Sometimes a truck is just drat handy to have, you know? The Jetta gets wonderful fuel economy and is very nice on the inside and is the first car I ever bought new. Because I work from home it gets driven mainly as a runabout around town or when I want to go to some random rural town's celebration of oatmeal (yes that is a real thing) or the like.

Here's another wrinkle: I can't sell the truck because that was part of the family pricing deal. I keep entertaining the idea of selling the Jetta and getting some generic used compact car as a replacement while pocketing $10k and cutting down the $400 biannual comprehensive insurance cost. But then again.. I really like how nice the Jetta is. Relying only on the truck would be a bit annoying because whoa is it a pain in the rear end to park.

Am I rediculous for having two vehicles as a single late 20's person?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are numerous AI posters who have owned three or four times that many vehicles at once, including in their 20s. There are posters in that forum half my age who have owned more cars at once than I have cumulatively my whole life.

The number of cars you should own is down to your financial limitations, your physical limits (as in, storing them all responsibly and safely), and the limits of your spouse or significant others' tolerance. There is no other factor worth considering.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Don't get a smart car. Its got terrible ratings in all categories and is far outclassed by all the other sub compacts on the market.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Badmana posted:

I hope so. I'm planning on buying a $40K Toyota Venza limited sometime in October or November. I want to get the best price possible and I'm in no rush.

Does anyone know when they stop making this year's model? I probably will have to order the colour/version I want (the touring+JBL version isn't very common in red).

It depends really. I'm only familiar with Ford, but a dealer can find out production dates for you. Typically the factory will have an order cutoff date and you can expect 5 to 8 weeks on average.

When we bought our last car we had to get the color+package we wanted trucked in from across the state. It was a weird time though as Ford had stopped production on the 2012 Explorers and the plant was retooling for the 2013's, so it was buy what was already out there, or wait 2+ months for a 2013.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 14, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Don't get a smart car. Its got terrible ratings in all categories and is far outclassed by all the other sub compacts on the market.

Every time I say you can't buy a bad car, I forget that the Smart exists. It's awful, and more expensive than better cars.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every time I say you can't buy a bad car, I forget that the Smart exists. It's awful, and more expensive than better cars.

I've got a 2012 Dodge Avenger as a rental right now and I'm really trying to find anything positive about it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

skipdogg posted:

I've got a 2012 Dodge Avenger as a rental right now and I'm really trying to find anything positive about it.

ya but now imagine it doesn't have a back seat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

skipdogg posted:

It's not a 20-year-old Lebaron?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not a 20-year-old Lebaron?

Some of the parts were probably designed for the Lebaron :) The odometer display is straight 2000 Dodge Neon partsbin.

Sorry for the derail but I have to vent about this car, compared to anything else in the segment I can't imagine anyone going to a Dodge dealership and really deciding to purchase this car. It does nothing well. The drivetrain is crap for a 2012 MY vehicle. The gas mileage isn't anything to brag about, the interior layout and materials are crap. The doors feel hollow, the stereo is terrible, there's just really not much good to say about the car. It's quieter than I thought it would be on the freeway, but is that really a positive thing? The two places they put a leather like material just make me chuckle since it seems out of place. Now to be fair I'm driving a 2012 base model rental car with 33K+ on the clock so it hasn't had an easy life, but I just don't see anyone who compares any vehicles in this price range actually going and spending money on this car.

I guess if you're strapped for cash and you needed a new car and the 3K+ sitting on the hood is attractive to you for whatever reason it might work out, but I think almost any other car in the segment is probably a better vehicle. Not to say this is a *BAD* car per se, just every other choice is probably BETTER.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I tried to find the article but Autoblog ran a story on the top cars bought by people in heavy debt or had bad credit. They took the list bought by those people, subtracted the top selling models overall and the avenger was number 1.

The idea was that no one actually wants an avenger but they buy them because they cant afford or qualify to finance something else.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Xguard86 posted:

I tried to find the article but Autoblog ran a story on the top cars bought by people in heavy debt or had bad credit. They took the list bought by those people, subtracted the top selling models overall and the avenger was number 1.

The idea was that no one actually wants an avenger but they buy them because they cant afford or qualify to finance something else.

Ha, a friend who apparently enjoys debt had a wrecked Honda Fit a few weeks ago. I was assuming he'd get another compact or sub, and the next thing you know: a Dodge Avenger. I was wondering why the sudden more expensive size of car, but now I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

Some of the parts were probably designed for the Lebaron :) The odometer display is straight 2000 Dodge Neon partsbin.

Sorry for the derail but I have to vent about this car, compared to anything else in the segment I can't imagine anyone going to a Dodge dealership and really deciding to purchase this car. It does nothing well. The drivetrain is crap for a 2012 MY vehicle. The gas mileage isn't anything to brag about, the interior layout and materials are crap. The doors feel hollow, the stereo is terrible, there's just really not much good to say about the car. It's quieter than I thought it would be on the freeway, but is that really a positive thing? The two places they put a leather like material just make me chuckle since it seems out of place. Now to be fair I'm driving a 2012 base model rental car with 33K+ on the clock so it hasn't had an easy life, but I just don't see anyone who compares any vehicles in this price range actually going and spending money on this car.

I guess if you're strapped for cash and you needed a new car and the 3K+ sitting on the hood is attractive to you for whatever reason it might work out, but I think almost any other car in the segment is probably a better vehicle. Not to say this is a *BAD* car per se, just every other choice is probably BETTER.

Basically the reason why people hate on the 200/Avenger is that it makes them seem clever and worth talking to to none-car people.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/03/clarkson-burgess-the-wobble-and-the-chrysler-200/

I would buy an Avenger, and I have detailed the reasons here multiple times:

1) 283 hp V6 for like $19k out the door.
2) See #1
3) Like you've admitted, there's nothing *actually* wrong with the car. It's safe(IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus, better than Camry, Malibu or Sonata), reliable, has modern electronics and entertainment facilities. What more does a modern family car really need?

Okay so I *myself* probably won't buy an Avenger because I have A Thing for manual transmissions, but plenty of people don't and otherwise have the same preferences.Yes the base model 4 cyl engine which can still be had with the 4 speed auto for the rental fleets isn't very fast or fuel efficient. Neither is the 2.5l in the Passat, and neither of those cars are the worst cars in the world. Given what they actually cost in real life I would take a V6 Avenger over the V6 Accord, Altima or Camry,and probably Passat too although I hear the pricing on the Passat is pretty competitive and that VR6 has a pretty sweet exhaust note.

The rest of the screed is basically "The sound of the door closing is a bit hollow and I don't like the feel of the dash plastic" :qq: Are you putting your dick into the dashboard? Who on earth outside of car magazines actually gives a poo poo about any of this?