Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

That reminds me, it's a long weekend for me this coming weekend (:canada:), I'll probably have another go at my various Everdrive DATs and I might make DATs for both Powerpaks as well. Anyone notice anything awry with the ones I posted earlier I might have missed? Also what's the standard place to make a website with tiny downloadable files that's free so I can put these in a centralized location?

Genesis one worked fine, it just overfilled my 2GB card so I had to upgrade to 4GB :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Seems fair if Stadium Events can get $30,000 that this should get more, seeing as there's 2 in existence and it's an actual console and not just a pre-ROM hack for a boring NES game.

Stadium Events has a better story around it. The Pluto is just a proto system that is barely functional, and even though it's rarer and has a better historical value, the story around it is pretty much the same as every other proto sega console that never sees the light of day.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh poo poo, son! Guess who got into the NES pin converter game?

http://shop.retrogate.com/Famicom-To-NES-adapter-FTNES.htm

You now officially no longer need to gut old 5-screws. Even better, these are designed with the audio passthrough built-in.

VV I'm in batch 3. :argh:

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 14, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
^^^^ If they go by order number within the batches, there's a not-insignificant chance of that #001 cart being mine. :v:

Mystery power stuff.

doujindance does awesome work, but I really don't get how he decides what to include with a particular system. Some have boxes and some don't. They all have different controller models. This one has a multitap, which he doesn't do very often (usually he sells them individually for $6 or something stupidly cheap like that). Mine had a world power supply, but apparently this one didn't.

By the way, if you decide to get a six-button controller, there are a couple different models available. I mostly see people recommend getting one of these since apparently the other model has a really crappy D-pad. I can't say for sure, though, since I haven't tried both. However, this one's the controller that I got with my Duo R, and I can say that it works very well.

Totally unrelated to the PC Engine discussion, it looks like I'm going to be getting my N8 deluxe edition soon. SAG's getting the first preorders finished up and mine's supposed to be one of the ones in the first batch. :bubblewoop:

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 14, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Nice!

I think doujindance does parts based on availability and also gauges worth of them. For example I got a Duo-R with a matching pad and nothing else while the one RGB NES got has a core grafx 2 pad so he probably threw in a duo tap as a "sorry, doesn't match" deal.

I also wonder about when he decides to do which video mod - mine's both s-video and rgb while most are rgb only. I ended up throwing an avenue 6 pad and a joy card onto my rakuten order last night so hopefully it gets thrown in with the other crap I ordered :pray:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 14, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

flyboi posted:

Nice!

I think doujindance does parts based on availability and also gauges worth of them. For example I got a Duo-R with a matching pad and nothing else while the one RGB NES got has a core grafx 2 pad so he probably threw in a duo tap as a "sorry, doesn't match" deal.

I also wonder about when he decides to do which video mod - mine's both s-video and rgb while most are rgb only. I ended up throwing an avenue 6 pad and a joy card onto my rakuten order last night so hopefully it gets thrown in with the other crap I ordered :pray:

Maybe. It looks like he's also varying his prices by about :10bux: for systems without box theories (anywhere from $209-$219). I don't think he used to do that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kreeblah posted:

^^^^ If they go by order number within the batches, there's a not-insignificant chance of that #001 cart being mine. :v:

doujindance does awesome work, but I really don't get how he decides what to include with a particular system. Some have boxes and some don't. They all have different controller models. This one has a multitap, which he doesn't do very often (usually he sells them individually for $6 or something stupidly cheap like that). Mine had a world power supply, but apparently this one didn't.

By the way, if you decide to get a six-button controller, there are a couple different models available. I mostly see people recommend getting one of these since apparently the other model has a really crappy D-pad. I can't say for sure, though, since I haven't tried both. However, this one's the controller that I got with my Duo R, and I can say that it works very well.
$100 for a controller???

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

$100 for a controller???

There are very, very few games that make use of a 6-button controller. There's also a 3-button controller, although I think all it does is turn select into a third button (i.e. a traditional two-button controller will work if you don't mind using select for a certain in-game action). Here's a complete list of games that use >2 buttons in both HuCard and CD form (including Arcade): http://www.slowdays.org/wiki/List_of_6-Button_PC_Engine_Games

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

$100 for a controller???

It's $10 on rakuten. A lot of prices are terribly inflated on ebay because OMG JAPAN!!! For instance you can get a d-terminal gamecube cable for $96 on rakuten and on ebay it can run upwards of $360 BIN.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/178268-1/

flyboi fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 14, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

There are very, very few games that make use of a 6-button controller. There's also a 3-button controller, although I think all it does is turn select into a third button (i.e. a traditional two-button controller will work if you don't mind using select for a certain in-game action). Here's a complete list of games that use >2 buttons in both HuCard and CD form (including Arcade): http://www.slowdays.org/wiki/List_of_6-Button_PC_Engine_Games

Thanks! Sticking with 2 button controllers then. I can just buy a TG-16 controller and use that on the Duo-R, right?

flyboi posted:

It's $10 on rakuten. A lot of prices are terribly inflated on ebay because OMG JAPAN!!! For instance you can get a d-terminal gamecube cable for $96 on rakuten and on ebay it can run upwards of $360 BIN.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/178268-1/

Dammit, I already put my Rakuten order in!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

$100 for a controller???

Yeah, they're not normally that pricey. eBay just happened to be the easiest place to find one.

Thanks! Sticking with 2 button controllers then. I can just buy a TG-16 controller and use that on the Duo-R, right?

Nope. You've gotta buy PC Engine controllers. The ports are physically different.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dammit, I already put my Rakuten order in!

If you can order from the same store (and they haven't gotten a ship/bill confirm yet), just go ahead and check it out and they'll add it to your order.

Remember, Rakuten works by allowing you to 'check out' which sends an order to a store, and a store has to collect everything else, figure out shipping and sends you a bill. Until you get this bill, you can still add (or maybe remove) to the order.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ineffiable posted:

If you can order from the same store (and they haven't gotten a ship/bill confirm yet), just go ahead and check it out and they'll add it to your order.

Remember, Rakuten works by allowing you to 'check out' which sends an order to a store, and a store has to collect everything else, figure out shipping and sends you a bill. Until you get this bill, you can still add (or maybe remove) to the order.

What he said. Word of warning with the 6 button pads - they work differently from the two button pads/ three button in that it's actually 2 controllers wired into a single controller and it uses bitswitching to say which buttons are pressed. These controllers do not play nice with games > 2 players. The 3 button controllers have select mapped to the third button so it doesn't have this problem.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Between figuring out Rakuten and the PC Engine, this has been the most confusing past few days in quite a while. Thanks for all the help, dudes. :thumbsup:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I was looking for an expansion port cover for my N64 and I think Amazon is a little confused.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like seeing pictures of Rakuten shopping carts for maybe one day I'll actually take part.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Harlock posted:

I like seeing pictures of Rakuten shopping carts for maybe one day I'll actually take part.

Every time these sales come up I check the price on a copy of Super Fantasy Zone and say 'No, too much.'

Every drat time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

univbee posted:

You now officially no longer need to gut old 5-screws. Even better, these are designed with the audio passthrough built-in.

Hopefully he'll come out with a NES to Famicom one as well

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
Anyone see any Panasonic Q's up on Rakuten?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

^^^There was but they sold out fast.

Every time these sales come up I can't take advantage of them because I spent money on other things. :negative:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

KracKiwi posted:

Anyone see any Panasonic Q's up on Rakuten?

Yeah, there were 3 up there a few months ago. They go for ~$350. That $40 "Panasonic Q" linked while I was on probation was just the controller, not the system. They're quite :retrogames: because gba players don't fit on them and require a special one that is REALLY expensive.

jpg
Feb 21, 2004
With the free shipping on Rakuten, now seems to be the perfect time to buy a donor famicom cart to house my N8 (which I plan to purchase in the near future).

So my question is; is there a specific game/case style I'm looking for? The more awful, common, cheaper the game, the better. I hate butchering working games. :ohdear:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

jpg posted:

With the free shipping on Rakuten, now seems to be the perfect time to buy a donor famicom cart to house my N8 (which I plan to purchase in the near future).

So my question is; is there a specific game/case style I'm looking for? The more awful, common, cheaper the game, the better. I hate butchering working games. :ohdear:

It's free shipping (well, up to 5000 yen) if you spend 10000 yen, so this may not necessarily be the best avenue for you if all you want is a Famicom game shell.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Laksa posted:

Hi, i got my ac adapter for the duo r from this ebay seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-DC-to-AC...=item27c6cccc81
It works and it is cheap too.

Thanks so much; I will wait for Copper Vein to give me the okay because I don't want him to yell at me.
The specs look alright, but I dislike how the picture is too blurry to discern if that's what you're really getting. But for $5 you won't lose much in ordering one. Just examine it carefully and measure output voltage and polarity before you plug it in. You will need to insert a paper clip into the center of the DC plug to measure because your meter probe will almost certainly not fit inside.

Yeah copy of it right onto my fuggen SD card
Dracula X is a Super CD game. Just burn an ISO.

I don't like any of the PC Engine 6-button controllers that I've tried, including the black\blue Avenue pad and the white RX pad. The PC Engine port of Street Fighter 2 is really good for a Hu-Card game, but when I play it I use an arcade stick that I built. I can't get nuthin' done on those pads.

Laksa
Sep 25, 2012

Here is a photo, hope it helps.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Gonna go pick this up on Friday :smug: Guess I'm adding GBA and GC to my collection now.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/vgm/3778988720.html

Third party controllers :( but that's okay, I have a black first party one for my wii anyway. And I'll probably just use it for Gameboy stuff anyway. Wish I'd have grabbed one of those EZF4 now...

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 14, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008

univbee posted:

VV I'm in batch 3. :argh:

I'm not familiar with this seller. Is this something that he's just selling now and will just be available or is there a limited quantity and I really need to jump on this soon?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's krikzz's store, who makes all the system flashcarts we can't shut up about.

Generally stuff on his store does go out of stock but comes back eventually, whether or not these will sell like hotcakes or not and have him struggling to keep them available remains to be seen.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Unmature posted:

I'm not familiar with this seller. Is this something that he's just selling now and will just be available or is there a limited quantity and I really need to jump on this soon?

The seller is the guy who has created most of the flashcarts we recommend around these parts.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Cool, then I'll definitely order one.

Also judging by the photos, am I supposed to remove the chip from the Famicom cart and put it into a US NES cart for the adapter to work? Is this safe/too much of a hassle to be doing over and over?

Sorry for my crazy novice-ness. I'm just used to buying a cart and jamming it into my NES.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
You can mount one in an NES cart yourself- pretty much look up any tutorial for how to do this with a Gyromite converter and you'll see what to do. You don't have to open the Fami cart every time you want to play- that's just if someone really wants to permanently put one into an NES cart (like for a flash cart, or maybe a repro?)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If you're doing it with famicom carts in a shell it should be fine bare. If you're doing it with bare boards (e.g. Famicom N8 board-only) it won't work right in a front-loading NES without a shell, because the push-down mechanism uses the plastic shell for leverage in pushing the board down to make contact.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

univbee posted:

If you're doing it with famicom carts in a shell it should be fine bare. If you're doing it with bare boards (e.g. Famicom N8 board-only) it won't work right in a front-loading NES without a shell, because the push-down mechanism uses the plastic shell for leverage in pushing the board down to make contact.

I use a Retron 3 which is a top-loader.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He needs to make a good nes to famicom converter.

Kreeblah posted:

Maybe. It looks like he's also varying his prices by about :10bux: for systems without box theories (anywhere from $209-$219). I don't think he used to do that.

Hes done that for a long time

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Trying to keep this from going over regardless of free shipping deals

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What's that middle game? I think it says "Soft" then a buncha kanji.

EDIT: Oh I'm dumb. It says Software, meaning a game.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 14, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Sword of Mana.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

A Yolo Wizard posted:

did you use 1/8 watt or 1/4 watt? I know this makes a difference when doing the mod on an nes - fc converter (if you were going to use the powerpak on a famicom for instance)

What I used is rated 0.5w. However, because I'm doing the straight NES cart, I was under the impression that I only needed to do the mod of the expansion port and not the Everdrive cart itself when it comes in.

Because it's got that huge knob, I've fashioned it in a way that I can turn down/off the expansion audio. What I was mostly curious about was what side-effects this might have on other carts if I leave the expansion audio on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How quick does stoneage gamer ship in the US (specifically to WI)? If I order an Everdrive 64 today, can I have it by Saturday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How quick does stoneage gamer ship in the US (specifically to WI)? If I order an Everdrive 64 today, can I have it by Saturday?

They're up near you (Michigan) so it should be quick provided they don't have a backlog of things to ship out.

It's something like a 2 man operation.

• Locked thread