Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

We all got the point of it, but it was a bit over the top, especially coupled with the splintering.

That actually happens in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

this allusion meant posted:

There is really no part of kidnapping little Asian girls to sell into sex slavery because they are seen as exotic by rich white men that can in any sense be considered not being racist.

You're referring to the shitbags that killed her parents to sell her into sex slavery as if they represent the general public. My point is that only the basest of people are even aware that humans were once distinguished from each other by race.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

We all got the point of it, but it was a bit over the top, especially coupled with the splintering.

You don't watch a whole lot of anime do you?

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

You're referring to the shitbags that killed her parents to sell her into sex slavery as if they represent the general public. My point is that only the basest of people are even aware that humans were once distinguished from each other by race.
There's really not much evidence that the modern conception of race existed in medieval times to begin with. People were just sort of aware that people who were from farther away looked more different, and sometimes there were names for them if some interesting, well-known story was involved. It's the fact that it can apparently be stated with confidence that a market exists for said shitbags to sell to that is the evidence that a conception of the racial other exists and has some influence at the heights of the power structure, not that such persons exist at all. Not that this really matters. I apologize to everyone for derailing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You gotta remember that we're talking about the bottom of the totem pole, the worst of the worst. There will always be a black market/underground world. We can't deny that some humans are going to end up terrible people when the circumstances line up. However, I don't think I've heard any of the common people in the show refer to race in any way. Even Mikasa who looks noticeably different because of her Asian background is never called out about it. The kinds of people that would buy a sex slave on the basis of race are going to be self professed criminals.

And it's isn't really that bad a derail since the lack of the concept of race in the show adds to the character of the setting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Books about the world outside of the walls are banned. Knowledge of what race even is and what that means is probably lost. Literally everyone else so far has been white European. A half-asian would probably look peculiar at most to them and even if they did notice that she was different from the rest, they wouldn't know why, and wouldn't have reason to react in any racist way. Basically, the concept of race no longer exists to people in this world because differing races simply no longer exist. One of the kidnappers had no idea why Mikasa and her mother were different, and maybe the one who did smuggled illegal books on the side and knew a bit more about the world before titans.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

All of the flashbacks are actually of Eren's dad injecting Miakasa with Hulk Hogan and Macho Man's DNA

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Giggily posted:

All of the flashbacks are actually of Eren's dad injecting Miakasa with Hulk Hogan and Macho Man's DNA

SNAP INTO A TITAN NECK, OH YEAAAAH

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There's a Skyrim mod out there that replaces Alduin with Macho Man Randy Savage, complete with "Macho man is comin'!" in place of distant dragon roars.

What I'm saying is that someone talented needs to draw a colossal Macho Man breaking down the walls, then a heavily armored Hulk Hogan smashing through the doors.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's the relative lack of racial diversity that makes me think that this isn't the future, just an alternate present that diverged somewhere. There are a few people that look North African, Near Eastern, or Romani, and then Mikasa is half-Asian (presumably Japanese), but that's really about it. :shrug:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Autumncomet posted:

It's the relative lack of racial diversity that makes me think that this isn't the future, just an alternate present that diverged somewhere. There are a few people that look North African, Near Eastern, or Romani, and then Mikasa is half-Asian (presumably Japanese), but that's really about it. :shrug:

Europe isn't nearly as diverse as America. If this is actually near-future-Germany, or something thereabout, it makes sense to me that we'd see a few, but not many, people of non-Germanic origin.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

this allusion meant posted:

There is really no part of kidnapping little Asian girls to sell into sex slavery because they are seen as exotic by rich white men that can in any sense be considered not being racist.

I'm obviously condoning neither slavery nor racism here, but rather than straight-up racism, the actual motive might be that she's "valuable" simply because she's the last of her kind, not necessarily because she's Oriental per se. I would imagine that if green eyes, blonde hair or... earlobes were a rarity among women, you'd see green-eyed, blonde, earlobed females in the slave market for the benefit of rich perverts.

If these Orientals used to be kidnapped into slavery or otherwise mistreated even when they were more common, then there's no argument about it.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Attack on Titan is the first anime that really looked interesting to me since Kaiji. Still, I was reluctant to start watching it before the end of the season; I picked up Death Note about halfway though and the wait between episodes was excruciating. But Sunday night I foolishly gave in to my curiosity and starting watching the six available episodes.

This show is amazing so far. The end of episode five was one of the most :stare: things I’ve ever seen on a TV show, animated or otherwise. Now the waiting begins.

gently caress.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

then a heavily armored Hulk Hogan smashing through the doors.

Kool-Aid Man. :getin:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Giggily posted:

Well, she probably could take on some wrestlers.

This is the magazine cover for an issue with a much later chapter, so I guess this needs a spoiler warning if the text says anything specifically about the chapter when translated.
Just look at her.

Speaking of warnings, what happened to the sirens smily?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Schubalts posted:

Well, she probably could take on some wrestlers.

This is the magazine cover for an issue with a much later chapter, so I guess this needs a spoiler warning if the text says anything specifically about the chapter when translated.
Just look at her.

Alternative image, spoiler-free:

Anyone want to bet that Isayama is a Teppu fan?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Nope, no spoilers in the image. It just says "Attack on Titan" and below it, "Attack! Titan Middle School".

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

hepcat posted:

This show is amazing so far. The end of episode five was one of the most :stare: things I’ve ever seen on a TV show, animated or otherwise. Now the waiting begins.

gently caress.

I don't have a clue how you're supposed to follow up on something like that. All I know is that we're going to be getting a face full of plot in ep7.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Nope, no spoilers in the image. It just says "Attack on Titan" and below it, "Attack! Titan Middle School".

Can't wait for the slice of life spinoff manga to get its own anime. I want to see Mikasa leave for school swinging about with her 3d Gear with toast hanging out of her mouth.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I don't have a clue how you're supposed to follow up on something like that.
Didn't episode 6 do that? Eren getting not-killed isn't as chocking as the twist to his entire character.

Unless he was actually killed and lives on in Mikasas broken mind Fight Club style. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, he got (as far as we know) eaten in ep5, along with a bunch of his buddies, and the next episode was Mikasa character development and flashbacks. Eren not being dead isn't a huge plot point, but the explanation for it is probably going to throw out some important details about the titans. We saw it happen, so explaining the consequence of that without major plot introductions is going to be really hard.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 14, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

Folks who read the manga are... not used to understated violent imagery. To say the least.

Honestly, I've felt overt and understated each have their merits. The first episode with the mother just off screen was honestly more disturbing "censored" that way than seeing her legs sticking out of the titan's clenched teeth at odd angles was in the manga.

This episode however... I'm not sure I'd be able to make out what was going on if I didn't have the manga panel seared into my brain. I guess even if it was effective for folks who didn't read the manga, as a slow realization, anyone who did read the manga would probably just be kind of frustrated at the lack of clarity, waiting for the reveal that never comes.

Never read the manga, and I completely and totally missed that the lower half of the guy's body was missing. I was actually quite surprised when I clicked on the manga picture. In fact I think my brain is feeding me lines about how the anime showed at least one shot of his full and definitely not ripped/torn/chomped/whatever in half body, and I just finished watching the episode. That's how unapparent it was. That is how my brain is retroactively filling in the gaps.

Hell, I was even seriously entertaining the notion that he just might pull through long enough to briefly regain consciousness (Only to get eaten immediately afterward of course.) It was only after a long enough amount of time passed with no results that I accepted she was performing CPR on a corpse. Except as more of a desperate-don't-know-when-to-give-up/can't-tell-he's-really-dead thing that was completely different from the intended tone of her being so deranged by events as to repeatedly attempt CPR on a unmistakably dead person without any sign of ceasing and coming back to reality.

In conclusion, censorship apparently ruined the scene for me and therefore is very very bad.

WickedIcon posted:

Kool-Aid Man. :getin:

Someone make these pictures.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Uh, I never read the manga, but I easily knew what happened well before the censored scene in question. You all are really bad at seeing the blood in the scenes prior, noticing the girl's actions, and noticing Armin's reaction.. It was all really clear.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I was pretty sure I saw the absence of legs where they should have been, even though Armin covered up the bite wound.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Autonomous Monster posted:

He had an English-translated interview with MTV's nerd section last year (anime-only watchers--don't read it, it has spoilers) and the two mangas he recommended were in fact Meguru and Teppu. If you didn't know that, good call!

lonephoenix
Apr 19, 2013

Stuck in a dream nightmare

AxeBreaker posted:

I was pretty sure I saw the absence of legs where they should have been, even though Armin covered up the bite wound.

I think that part was relatively obvious and explains Armin's quick dismissal of her efforts. Armin seems less apt to abandon hope regarding something like in light of what he had very recently witnessed at that point.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Alternative image, spoiler-free:

Considering they both laugh in the face of shonen standards it's a good bet. Teppu for you guys wondering is about a mean girl learning MMA and it not making her a better person just better at beating people up.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

lonephoenix posted:

I think that part was relatively obvious and explains Armin's quick dismissal of her efforts. Armin seems less apt to abandon hope regarding something like in light of what he had very recently witnessed at that point.

Doesn't it still lose something by not being readily visually apparent? I didn't notice it until I saw the manga page, either. I probably could have been paying closer attention, but they could have made it more gruesome without being unreasonably so.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I saw the manga page before I saw the episode, but even keeping that in mind while watching the scene I was hard-pressed to find evidence that the man's lower half was missing. If you knew what happened in the manga, you could spot a couple of details in the anime that give it away, but if you hadn't I imagine you wouldn't come to the conclusion that the man don't got no legs no more.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I hadn't read it and I realized exactly what was up the first time they showed a reaction shot of Armin.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'd read it and it was so long ago I'd forgotten the state of his body. You don't need an autistic level of detail to work out the implications.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

I'd read it and it was so long ago I'd forgotten the state of his body. You don't need an autistic level of detail to work out the implications.

I figure all you need to do was think of the most soul crushing thing that could be happening and it usually clears up any confusion believing that is what happened.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

I've watched the episode with two people now who hadn't read the manga. Neither of them fully understood the scene until I showed them the manga panel after the episode. Best I got was, "He might have been missing his legs, but I wasn't sure. I definitely didn't know... so much of him was gone."

So if you could figure it out, pat yourself on the back and feel proud or whatever, but it pretty clearly wasn't obvious.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Armin's head being conveniently in the way of the "torso" and all the camera angles hiding the torso area was an obvious sign for me. But the actual confirmation is the final cut where we can see the entire picture. His legs are obviously gone and he looks way shorter than normal.

Eiba posted:

"He might have been missing his legs, but I wasn't sure. I definitely didn't know... so much of him was gone."
That's what that scene is supposed to convey. If they understood that much then the scene did it's job.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 15, 2013

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I hate the censorship but the scene was obvious because people without half their bodies are almost a cliché in war movies. I even felt like I had seen the exact scene before somewhere else.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

UP AND ADAM posted:

Doesn't it still lose something by not being readily visually apparent? I didn't notice it until I saw the manga page, either. I probably could have been paying closer attention, but they could have made it more gruesome without being unreasonably so.

I'm going to have to disagree, I thought that scene was really well executed. The careful cropped shots hinting at what was wrong, the characters reactions, it all seemed way more effective than some gory shock shot of the character as just a torso. I'll admit that I think gore is often more effective when we don't actually see it and it's only hinted at, like that last shot where you can see the entire scene and you can very pointedly notice that the character stops somewhere behind the character administering cpr (I can't remember their names at the moment) and given their hinting I was looking for a hint like that.

Denim Avenger fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 15, 2013

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Did nobody see this shot?
Pretty clear what happened.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If you ask me, I think that the whole trying to resuscitate a torso was just going for cheap shocks. It might have carried some weight if we cared about the characters, but for me it worked better when it seemed to the viewer that there was still a chance for him. When I saw the manga page, I thought that it was the stupidest thing ever. I might have enjoyed it in Valvrave though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Popo posted:

Did nobody see this shot?
Pretty clear what happened.
Exactly. Even a quick glance is enough to notice that there's something very off with his torso and that he has no legs at all. Then if you look closer, there's a pool of blood where his torso should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Zettace posted:

Exactly. Even a quick glance is enough to notice that there's something very off with his torso and that he has no legs at all. Then if you look closer, there's a pool of blood where his torso should be.

I think that the medium should also be taken into account. A manga panel is a quick glance, but the translation into motion means that the impact of the reveal can be changed by stretching that into a scene. Hiding it and then making it clear was a pretty effective adaptation, IMO.

• Locked thread