Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Me in Reverse posted:

Speaking of which, I have a spare copy of the USA release of the RSD ATDI if anyone wants it at $40

YES PLEASE.

Pm me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I almost cut my self on the edges of that record. Handle with EXTREME caution!!

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Aw, the hardcore DEVO release has been pushed back to June 25th (with pre orders coming out mid june) http://www.superiorviaduct.com/blogs/news/7835175-can-u-take-it-hardcore-devo-release-dates

Also the deluxe edition has sold out.

WASDF posted:

What are some records you guys own which are oddly sharp? My copy of the Electric Dreams soundtrack could probably be used to cut someone in half if thrown.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 14, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Me in Reverse posted:

Nice. My copy of the RSD ATDI from Music Fear Satan (France) was basically two pieces of cardboard sandwiching the album and taped seams.

I once had a record shipped to me that was nothing but a thin outer layer of cardboard with absolutely nothing securing the record in-place inside. When I got it the outer package had practically been folded in half during shipping, but when I opened it the sleeve didn't even have a crease in it. The record inside, though, had been completely busted, there was a huge crack that ran straight through half the record.

Luckily the guy refunded the whole amount and I shipped it back, but I was pissed. Supposedly this guy was a regular record dealer on eBay, too.

edit: Also, I'm keeping that DEVO Hardcore double-vinyl order page pinned in Firefox and so help me Jesus it better not be sold out by the time my next paycheck comes.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 14, 2013

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

izationalizer posted:

This reminds me that I'd love to see a vinyl issue of that "accidentally avant-garde" Farrah Abraham album. Such a gloriously weird train wreck. As someone somewhere said, "It's almost as if she'd never heard a song before."

I was talking to a friend about that album being on vinyl this weekend. Would be amazing.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

That special edition of AMOK is back on sale. I know a lot of people here were trying to get it so here's your chance: http://store.atomsforpeace.info/mus...afpmailer130513

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I preordered the Vangelis Blade Runner Soundtrack way back when on Amazon. I got an email today they are still looking to fulfill my order.

The hell, didnt this come out weeks ago?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Amazon is pure poo poo when it comes to preordering anything in-demand or limited.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Philthy posted:

I preordered the Vangelis Blade Runner Soundtrack way back when on Amazon. I got an email today they are still looking to fulfill my order.

Yeah, it did. I'm glad I cancelled my Amazon pre-order and bought it from Soundstage Direct instead.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Philthy posted:

Mine was delayed about 3-4 weeks, but I did finally get it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just picked this up for $20... please tell me it's not terrible!

It's a Kenwood KD-291R :3:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Probably needs a new cartridge if not at least stylus, and you should check what condition the belt is in. But if she runs good she looks good!

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

WASDF posted:

I was just thinking yesterday "what if some crazy metal band had razors embedded around the edges of their album". Surprised it hasn't been done.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The 80s Kenwoods are pretty acceptable especially when stacked against some of the other rubbish made during the decade.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't know if anybody else here is a big GBV fan, but I went to Lost Weekend Records in Columbus, OH today to pick up their latest, English Little League. The guy behind the counter talked me into buying their EP Down by the Racetrack and then regaled me with stories of how Robert Pollard will stop by the record store while he's in town. With the GBV section that they had, I believe it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Me in Reverse posted:

Probably needs a new cartridge if not at least stylus, and you should check what condition the belt is in. But if she runs good she looks good!

It has a new cartridge and it looks like the belt is in great shape! :D I were to sell it, how much would it go for? $75ish? If it's worth around $50 then I'll keep it, but I make a chunk of my income from going to thrift stores and selling poo poo on eBay, and this is the first decent one I've come across :ohdear:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Got to go to the store today! Nothing exceedingly rare, just some music to listen to.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Allen Wren posted:

Got to go to the store today! Nothing exceedingly rare, just some music to listen to.

Death is loving awesome. There's a documentary about them now. The name of it is A Band Called Death. It will be hitting various theaters over the next few months.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

luncheon meat posted:

I was just thinking yesterday "what if some crazy metal band had razors embedded around the edges of their album". Surprised it hasn't been done.

Didn't someone etch grooves into a steel circular saw blade?

I have one that came with a sneaky rusty razor blade in the sleeve. It was Dystopia/Noothgrush or something like that.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

That's kind of gross.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

It has a new cartridge and it looks like the belt is in great shape! :D I were to sell it, how much would it go for? $75ish? If it's worth around $50 then I'll keep it, but I make a chunk of my income from going to thrift stores and selling poo poo on eBay, and this is the first decent one I've come across :ohdear:

I'm going to be the jerk who says that table is crap, because it is. Fixed cartridge, no counterweight, no anti-skate, plastic plinth. Nothing about that table is worthwhile, I'm afraid. That thing is seriously from Kenwood's worst days in the mid 90s. I'd honestly be surprised if it cost $100 brand new.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm going to be the jerk who says that table is crap, because it is. Fixed cartridge, no counterweight, no anti-skate, plastic plinth. Nothing about that table is worthwhile, I'm afraid. That thing is seriously from Kenwood's worst days in the mid 90s. I'd honestly be surprised if it cost $100 brand new.

I prefer tough love anyways ;) I guess it'll be useful as a starter till I stumble across a non-crap one!

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

Awe, man, my tuntable only plays 33/45/78. Where did you find one that can also play switchblade? :v:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

minivanmegafun posted:

Well yeah, I guess we didn't realise he was going to try and flip it. As a turntable that will get music out of records it will suffice. A rare or desirable model for the collector, it ain't.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ron Burgundy posted:

Well yeah, I guess we didn't realise he was going to try and flip it. As a turntable that will get music out of records it will suffice. A rare or desirable model for the collector, it ain't.
This sounds like exactly what I need for my own LP's, so either way I'm a happy lad :)

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Yeah, $20 is a burger and a couple beers. You'll get much longer enjoyment out of a turntable provided it doesn't fry when you power it on. ;)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Death is loving awesome. There's a documentary about them now. The name of it is A Band Called Death. It will be hitting various theaters over the next few months.

Rad. I've only heard a song or two of theirs, but I love the sound of American protopunk, so I'm going to have to spin this and check that.

Jasta posted:

Awe, man, my tuntable only plays 33/45/78. Where did you find one that can also play switchblade? :v:

Blarf, I didn't even realize I left it out from when I opened the records.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think my next two purchases are gonna be the new Savages album and that Death album.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

CPL593H posted:

Death loving owns.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Bliggers- posted:

Death loving owns.

I know. The fact that it took so goddamn long for their records to surface is just loving shameful.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

Just a reminder, nobody buy the Death cassette being sold by Acid Punx. They are a bunch of idiots and don't send out their orders.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Hey Yanks, here's the special edition of Amok for a more reasonable price!

http://shopusa.xlrecordings.com/featured-xl-homepage/atoms-for-peace-amok

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I know. The fact that it took so goddamn long for their records to surface is just loving shameful.

But that's like, one of the coolest things about them.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

WASDF posted:

But that's like, one of the coolest things about them.

Another thing:

Obviously, original Death 7"s are expensive as hell these days. But back in the day, one of the dudes in the band would go to a local record store in Detroit and just give away copies for free. If I remember correctly (I can't find where I originally read about this), this happened for a while even after they were rediscovered and punk collectors started forking over big $$$ for them; I wouldn't be shocked if a few scummy collectors got free copies from him and just flipped them immediately. The Death guy finally figured out what was going on, but only after he'd given away a whole bunch (all?) of 'em.

This story always saddens me, because I'm guessing that Death aren't particularly wealthy, and they could have used the cash. But so it goes sometimes. I know that J.T. IV and Daniel Johnston did the same thing before their records/cassettes became valuable (although the latter has made something of a career for himself, and I think the former died of alcohol-induced liver failure). I bought Death's Spiritual, Mental, Physical LP in part because I wanted the band to make a little money.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
That's a silly argument because you can't expect someone to assume that 30 years later one of their sons would find unreleased recordings, release them, and cause a huge blow up in interest of the band. That's just the nature of playing in bands that get overlooked.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hey Yanks, here's the special edition of Amok for a more reasonable price!

http://shopusa.xlrecordings.com/featured-xl-homepage/atoms-for-peace-amok

I dunno if I should be annoyed about this because it seems like a bit of a 'gently caress you' to the people who preordered it/bought it when it cost $40 (how exactly is it a "limited edition" if you're just gonna keep producing it alongside the standard package?) or entertained because it directly cuts into the "I'mma charge $130 for this!" plans of lovely record flippers- and really, gently caress those guys.

Or bummed out because I missed the window to flip my copy and actually make a return on "investment" for once since I started this drat hobby.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 15, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Or bummed out because I missed the window to flip my copy and actually make a return on "investment" for once since I started this drat hobby.

Just enjoy your copy man.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just enjoy your copy man.

I was being facetious. I'd probably only get like ten extra bucks on it, tops- if anything. It's more so that I could jokingly call up my parents and be all like, "I told you that buying vinyl wasn't frivolous or irresponsible! I actually made money this time!" :allears:

In any case, I actually like this album a lot more now than I did when I bought it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 15, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I dunno if I should be annoyed about this because it seems like a bit of a 'gently caress you' to the people who preordered it/bought it when it cost $40 (how exactly is it a "limited edition" if you're just gonna keep producing it alongside the standard package?)

It could be worse, look at "limited edition" video games. Vinyl does way better than most other products that push limited edition versions.

And then there's the hilarious case of the Bioshock 2 special edition, which came with the game, huge hardcover art book, soundtrack CD, posters, and a vinyl version of the Bioshock 1 score. Retailed for $80 or $90. I bought a copy when it hit $30, and another from Best Buy when they sold them for $10. It was dirt cheap for the longest time, but now just the record itself seems to be appreciating in value. It sells for $30 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

wa27 posted:

It could be worse, look at "limited edition" video games. Vinyl does way better than most other products that push limited edition versions.

And then there's the hilarious case of the Bioshock 2 special edition, which came with the game, huge hardcover art book, soundtrack CD, posters, and a vinyl version of the Bioshock 1 score. Retailed for $80 or $90. I bought a copy when it hit $30, and another from Best Buy when they sold them for $10. It was dirt cheap for the longest time, but now just the record itself seems to be appreciating in value. It sells for $30 or so.

I bought two copies of that Bioshock thing for a combined $20.

That hardcover art book and the record are so, so worth it.