Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I was taking the cat to my vets in the centre of Chippenham, and in the car park the vet was examining a sheep with a cast on its leg! Asides from being even grubbier than Artie we did note the similarities lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

New page new pictures.

Jewel is looking kind of swaybacked here. She's lactating already so she has to pop soon.

Aster was babysitting the lamb pile.

The baby cormos are really really stupid.

They think any white sheep must be their mom and Sherman is clearly a brother they didn't know they had.

Lost again. Your mom is right behind you there buddy.

You pjs are still too big.

Not a cormo.

The airplane ear is just a little floppy.

You can barely even see Goliath's tag.

And now some spotty sheep madness. Sorry about the blur!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I had a couple pages in this thread to catch up on. It simultaneously killed some time AND made me all :3: while I sit in the waiting room while my friend gets his CT scan. Fuckin' lambs, man. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Skizzles posted:

I had a couple pages in this thread to catch up on. It simultaneously killed some time AND made me all :3: while I sit in the waiting room while my friend gets his CT scan. Fuckin' lambs, man. :3:

Glad I could brighten your day :)

Its a sleepy lamb day here.

The cormooselings are down to just bucketmom with cold milk at night in the hopes they will stop seeing me as a milk provider and nurse from their own mom more now that she's keeping up with their needs with the one udder half she has working. I see them nurse from her and bum milk from the romeldales when they're distracted so I know they aren't starving but the sad little calls make me feel like a monster when I don't go out with a warm bottle.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Jewel just had the tiniest, angriest, loudest little girl ever.

I took video because I didn't think anyone would understand the amount of screaming otherwise. Most ewes and lambs sort of murmur at each other. These two just holler at the top of their lungs.

You can hear Iph, Moose, and some other sheep yell back in the background of this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvlr1JOqow

Go ahead and just scream directly in to you mom's ear. Thats great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwIht6BexKQ

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 11, 2013

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
"MOOOOOOOOOOOM. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

That is the cutest fuckin' thing I've ever seen. :kimchi:

Maybe she'll grow up to be the next Goat Yelling Like A Man

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
It's cute how their tongues poke out when they bleat, also love the blurry action shots!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Itty bitty baby is struggling a bit staying warm and nursing. She's barely over 3 lbs so I think its just her teeniness that's working against her. We're hanging out in my nice toasty bathroom with a hot shower going and the hair drying keeping her toasty. Once she reached normal body temperature I tube fed her some warm colostrum and now she's taking a nap so hopefully this is all she needs to get her going in the right direction but with tiny newborns like this you really never know.

Major is lurking outside the bathroom door trying to convince me he's been ever so good this year and deserves to eat just one baby.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Jewel just had the tiniest, angriest, loudest little girl ever.

I took video because I didn't think anyone would understand the amount of screaming otherwise. Most ewes and lambs sort of murmur at each other. These two just holler at the top of their lungs.

You can hear Iph, Moose, and some other sheep yell back in the background of this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvlr1JOqow

Go ahead and just scream directly in to you mom's ear. Thats great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwIht6BexKQ

I think you need to provide video of the normal ones to compare. :3:

Little Bit is tiny but fierce, hopefully she'll pull through!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh no. Get well, noisy little lamb.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Little thing is still hanging in there. She was having a lot of trouble staying warm outside and her mom was freaking out whenever I stole her so this happened. Luckily I have 2 bathrooms.

She's staying warm on her own, walking around, and passing meconium which are all important things for creatures who wish to stay alive to do so she may just pull through. She won't take a bottle and I haven't seen her nurse but she would not cooperate for a third tube feeding so I know she's feeling stronger and not starving. Newborns are so delicate and fade so fast though, she's definitely not out of the woods.

Have a few pictures and think good thoughts for the bitty lamb.

No!

NO!

Alright fine.

Snuggled in.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Where do I get a job tending to baby sheep? TIA

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Aww, she's so sassy. :3: I'm rooting for her!

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think I've posted (creepy!) but I followed last year's entire thread as well as this one.

I hope this adorable little lamb pulls through. :ohdear:

I'm glad she has you guys to help her out, though. I have to admit, it's pretty cute to see those sheep in the bathroom.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Classiest lamb jail ever. She's so small for a singleton though. I guess that's why her mom didn't look knocked up! You should probably talk with your vet about possible causes tiny baby because she shouldn't have been so small with your good management. You also might want to ask about IP dextrose if she's looking dumpy, which you might know how to do already, but easy to learn if you don't.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Have a silly Goliath doodle:

Apparently sheep are hard for me to draw. But I love your animals. :3: Hopefully the little one makes it!

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Good luck little one! I hope she pulls though and terrorises the rest

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Apparently sheep are hard for me to draw. But I love your animals. :3: Hopefully the little one makes it!

So cute! :3:

My thoughts are with your tiny girl!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

LoreOfSerpents posted:

This is the most :kimchi: thing.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Enelrahc posted:

Classiest lamb jail ever. She's so small for a singleton though. I guess that's why her mom didn't look knocked up! You should probably talk with your vet about possible causes tiny baby because she shouldn't have been so small with your good management. You also might want to ask about IP dextrose if she's looking dumpy, which you might know how to do already, but easy to learn if you don't.

She actually had a normal sized brother that was stillborn and I think he just got all the nutrition and she was sort of an afterthought. The mom is a first timer and even though she's lambing at 2 years old instead of a yearling I was not expecting twins at all. Jewel had them between my 1:30 check and my 2:30 check so I didn't see what happened but the ram was still warm but not cleaned off and blue. I worked on him a while but if they aren't breathing when I find them I haven't ever been able to bring them back around. Nothing clearly wrong with him that would indicate it was anything more than drowning during birth/not getting cleaned off. This also happened to her mother this year so maybe they just suck at having twins the first time it happens.

Not a scientific idea, but a farm idea going around is that because of the drought last year a lot of ewes and goats are either having singles (and often having trouble because they've been fed like they're having twins like every year) or jettisoning one of the twins to preserve themselves. A lot of people (myself included) are having a rough lambing season for the first time. The more :tinfoil: ones are blaming the CDT vaccine (even though they're also using a billion other offlabel meds and inducing labor on all their animals).

Her temp never got below 35C so I'm hoping I don't have to do IP dextrose because it scares the crap out of me. So many organs :ohno: Tube feeding scared me though and I only had the tube because I threw it in to an order of syringes to get free shipping but that worked out so I will if I need to.

Good new! Tiny girl is still kicking and I saw her get up, stretch and toddle over to mom and nurse on her own. It may have suddenly gotten very dusty in my now horrifyingly dirty bathroom. It's 45 degrees, raining and there's 22 mph winds ripping through my poor 100 year old drafty barn so they are remaining bathroom sheep for the day but if things keep going well she'll be back out with the big boys soon.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

So cute! You even got his little heart/dong spot :kimchi:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Not a scientific idea, but a farm idea going around is that because of the drought last year a lot of ewes and goats are either having singles (and often having trouble because they've been fed like they're having twins like every year) or jettisoning one of the twins to preserve themselves.
Feeding them too much might cause problems? :aaa: How does that work?

You even got his little heart/dong spot :kimchi:
I laugh every time I see him in your photos, for exactly that reason. Glad I'm not the only one who sees it!

The little sheep needs to make it so we can see her bossing around the other lambs. :3: Can you hear her shouting throughout your house, or does the sound not really carry too far?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Twins makes way more sense than tiny singleton - ram was a placenta hog. Hopefully the tough little midget makes it. You can probably send the dead twin on ice to your state animal health and food safety for a necropsy if you're interested in ferreting out what happened. http://vbs.psu.edu/adl

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Feeding them too much might cause problems? :aaa: How does that work?

I laugh every time I see him in your photos, for exactly that reason. Glad I'm not the only one who sees it!

The little sheep needs to make it so we can see her bossing around the other lambs. :3: Can you hear her shouting throughout your house, or does the sound not really carry too far?

It's like women who get gestational diabetes. Letting your sheep get super fat during pregnancy can cause them to grow giant babies which are really hard for them to birth. The only person I know who regularly has trouble with jacobs needing help delivering has giant obese ewes because she thinks they need to be fed any time the baa. Fat sheep are also more at risk of developing pregnancy toxemia, which left untreated can cause seizures and death.

The little bit is a lot less angry now so I haven't heard her shout except for when I pick her up and mess with her. I can hear her mom making mom noises through the ducts which causes pretty extreme head tilts from my dog.

It was actually getting too hot and stuffy in the bathroom so I'm giving the sheep at chance outside. I put them in a pen furthest from the walls and shored it up with some bales of hay so its not drafty. My heat lamp isn't working for some reason but the lamb is 36 hours old now, is wearing her little jacket and has a belly full of milk so I think she'll be ok. If I see her shivering or looking lethargic she's coming straight back in.

Enelrahc posted:

Twins makes way more sense than tiny singleton - ram was a placenta hog. Hopefully the tough little midget makes it. You can probably send the dead twin on ice to your state animal health and food safety for a necropsy if you're interested in ferreting out what happened. http://vbs.psu.edu/adl

If the little one doesn't make it I would probably send her off to my state's ADDL lab but the ram is pretty gross at this point. I think its pretty likely that their mom being a first timer was so focused on one (who was screaming for attention the whole time) that the other didn't get its airways cleared in time. If the placenta looked gnarly or the lamb was odd looking or mummified I would be fedexing it to the state lab straight away.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Death by noisy sister, what away to go. :(

Yes, I know it's just nature taking its course, like with twins absorbed in utero, but if you say it that way it makes the girl sound quite nefarious.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Anoia posted:

Death by noisy sister, what away to go. :(

Yes, I know it's just nature taking its course, like with twins absorbed in utero, but if you say it that way it makes the girl sound quite nefarious.

I was just speculating. It's just as likely he died either right before being born or during birth. My best friend is an OB/GYN and whenever I feel bad about lambs not making it she reminds me that being born is really hard, even for people with modern medicine and a whole team helping them. Sometimes things just happen.

The hamster is doing amazingly well. She's tiny and not super coordinated but she bounces and explores and is acting like a normal lamb. Conveniently I ordered some new baby jackets on a whim Thursday because they were on clearance and there was a 40% off sale and they arrived today and fit the baby perfectly. No more grubby sweatshirt sleeves for her.

Fido Fleece, not just for dogs anymore.

Eatin' a grass.

She is a lamb with a plan.

Going for a wander.

"You aren't going to break out the tube again are you?"

Keep on trucking little girl.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 13, 2013

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

OH COME ON

You gotta warn us before you drop this kind of lethally cute picture!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

We need pictures of her with the other lambs. Y'know, for scientific purposes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You should totally call her Robo in honor of Roborovskii hamsters. Or Aura for the type of hamster the black and white "panda" patterning occurs in ( Mesocricetus auratus / Golden or Syrian hamsters)

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

Oh my god. :3: :3: It's like the little baby jacket was made for her. :3:

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Yay! You go, little lamb! :3: I'm so happy this stylish little one is doing better.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

TOO CUTE FOR WORDS! Thank you for sharing the photos!

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I've been super stressed out about finals and school and nothing has cheered me up... until I saw that little lamb in her jacket. Please keep the adorable photos coming :3:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You should totally call her Robo in honor of Roborovskii hamsters. Or Aura for the type of hamster the black and white "panda" patterning occurs in ( Mesocricetus auratus / Golden or Syrian hamsters)

My vote is for Syri (short for Syrian). And also in my experience Siri for the Iphone always accidentally goes off for people in class (like they are texting and bump the siri button) and makes a lot of noise, like this little girl.

cryingscarf fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 14, 2013

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Ugh, how do you get ANYTHING done? Bet you could fit her in a flate rate usps box...

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

She is a lamb with a plan.

:kimchi: So ridiculously cute. Also, it's really amazing how well this fits her. You should send a picture of her in it to wherever you got it--maybe you'll get some more for free! Then she can model it for the internet. Everyone wins!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray for Tiny Lamb! May she continue to wear stylish jackets and look adorable. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Jacobs are plant themed, think of tiny plants (or very large plants) :colbert:

People wanted to compare tiny lamb to normal lambs so I tried to get pictures of them together. Jewel is very :byodame: MY BABBY right now though so no one wanted to get too close.

Big mama Eleanor wasn't sure what to think about the coat.

One of the cormos was the first baby to say hi.

Cormos are dorks so he spazzed off quickly.

Tiny bounces are hard to capture on film.

Then Jazz's twins came by to check things out.

"My Mommy is going to kick your rear end"

"I told you"

You don't have to be big when you have backup.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Name her Sequoia. The tiniest lamb should be named after the biggest tree.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Anoia posted:

I second this.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Anoia posted:

I will never accept her being named anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Women's Rights? posted:

I will never accept her being named anything else.

Then it's official.

• Locked thread