Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
LemonNation has already become my favorite support player in the NA LCS because he shares my love for Sona, and we have the same glasses and receding hairline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

AzureCats did really well in scrims too I hear.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The established teams probably wouldn't want to use their established strategies in a scrim. I just hope Quantic isn't using theirs. Count me in for any team that can knock TSM off its high-horse.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
So it seems like we've managed to avoid that awkward situation where some of the all stars weren't going to be in the LCS because their team got relegated. But wouldn't that be an interesting possibility...

Consider if CLG lost and doublelift was serious about joining up with a Korean team -- he'd have a reasonable incentive to outright throw the all star match.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Jonny Angel posted:

So, word from reliable sources (including Studio, Phreak, and directly from LemonNation) is that Quantic have been wrecking TSM/Dig/Curse/CLG in scrims. Are there too many variables at play here for that to mean anything, or can we officially start boarding the Quantic Hype Train?

I'm absolutely on that train. They are in that top tier of NA teams along with TSM and maybe CRS if they get their poo poo together.

Edit: To expand - they play really smart champions for this meta. Things like Jayce bot, Elise jungle, Zed/Khazix mid, etc. Basically they are a very korean team, and I do think that the Korean scene is more up to the meta than anyone else at this point.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 14, 2013

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Jonny Angel posted:

So, word from reliable sources (including Studio, Phreak, and directly from LemonNation) is that Quantic have been wrecking TSM/Dig/Curse/CLG in scrims. Are there too many variables at play here for that to mean anything, or can we officially start boarding the Quantic Hype Train?

It doesn't necessarily mean anything. CLG was murdering everyone in scrims during their weeks of mediocrity.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
One thing that separates Quantic from other amateur teams is that they are a an old and experienced team. LOLPortal ranks them (Quantic née Cloud 9) as the 4th best team in North America (http://www.lolportal.net/Teams) and they are 40 wins over losses in the pro scene in the last 18 months. They are a very good team. I expect them to finish Top 4 in NA and bump down whichever of the old guard slumps.

Velocity I can't wait to see play in the LCS but I suspect they will finish 8th. They are really inexperienced and are going to be up against some brutal competition in the LCS. I will root for them though. MRN and Complexity were the two most inconsistent squads last season, and with them gone, all 7 other NA LCS teams are strong and experienced squads.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Correct me if I'm wrong too, but it seems like TSM is always saying they lose scrims constantly. It also seems like they end up having series pushed to the limit on them. If its a bo5, its going 5 games, bo3 is going 3 games, etc. I think they just get overconfident/lazy at times when their backs aren't against the wall.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Combo posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong too, but it seems like TSM is always saying they lose scrims constantly. It also seems like they end up having series pushed to the limit on them. If its a bo5, its going 5 games, bo3 is going 3 games, etc. I think they just get overconfident/lazy at times when their backs aren't against the wall.

Hey if they lose scrims and win tournaments that's still fetching the prize. If I had to come up with a reason it's that they try to use scrims to try out new strategies since that's risky in a tournament setting and the losses are them polishing those strategies.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Zoness posted:

Hey if they lose scrims and win tournaments that's still fetching the prize. If I had to come up with a reason it's that they try to use scrims to try out new strategies since that's risky in a tournament setting and the losses are them polishing those strategies.

When these teams throw out the word strategy they sometimes confuse me because they can be referring to new champs, 2v1 top, poke/aoe comp or anything new they try.

When I think of strategy I usually think of that awesome ezreal jungle Velocity pulled in game 2 of their summer promotion. Also saw in reddit it was the fat long haired guy who came up with that strat - Nk inc.

TSM seems to have always the same strat from my inexperienced view. Get Regi fed he then initiates, use Sona ult and win teamfights then take an objective.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, TSM has a history of not giving a poo poo in setting other than major LAN tournaments. Even when they were dominating the NA tourney scene in season 2, you'd look at their records in their own TSM Invitational tournaments and they'd just routinely be getting beaten by far lesser names. They definitely have an "on" switch.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Jonny Angel posted:

I would say they are definitely top 4, but I wouldn't assume that those scrims are going to look anything like their tournament results. Also it's pretty cool that 4ish teams with atlanta-trained members are in the lcs now, with GGU, Vulcun, Velocity, and Quantic. And ironically, despite them all being on "Atlanta's team", he's not in the LCS but they are.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I miss Dadlanta. He played a badass jungle Nunu, which is how I got started in the jungle.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ironsoviet posted:

I miss Dadlanta. He played a badass jungle Nunu, which is how I got started in the jungle.

I remember when he was THE north american Irelia main and got me to start playing Irelia.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

semicolonsrock posted:

And ironically, despite them all being on "Atlanta's team", he's not in the LCS but they are.

Is there anything stopping Velocity from listing Atlanta and Studio as subs (other than possibly Atlanta and Studio not wanting to play)?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Jonny Angel posted:

Yes, there are too many variables to mean anything concrete. Scrims are like spring training. You work on your fundamentals, or you work on a piece of your mechanics you're not confident in, or you try something unorthodox, or you try out a strategy someone else had success with and try and twist it to your own team. Major League Starting Pitcher that gives up a home run to an FSU kid because he was working on throwing his curve ball ahead in the count instead of just getting them out with his best pitch isn't suddenly terrible, and that kid shouldn't be given a major league contract.

What you can probably draw from them winning scrimmages is that their 5 players at the very least have the raw skill to match up with top level competitive teams.

Libertine posted:

LolPortal

I get what that website is going for, but that site hasn't been updated since the LCS. Curse and Dignitas are still ahead of TSM. I would certainly entertain a discussion that TSM is not the best of those 3 teams, but if you're estimating skill through results they should be ahead in an ELO rater like this. If it's not up to date, it's not really reliable.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Copycat Zero posted:

Is there anything stopping Velocity from listing Atlanta and Studio as subs (other than possibly Atlanta and Studio not wanting to play)?

I was wondering this as well, but they already have BoxBox as a sub. I'm not sure if he can play anything besides top lane though. It seems like with the recent sub trouble in the LCS this would be a good idea, especially if they're living with them and know all the strategies anyway.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Badfinger posted:

Yes, there are too many variables to mean anything concrete. Scrims are like spring training. You work on your fundamentals, or you work on a piece of your mechanics you're not confident in, or you try something unorthodox, or you try out a strategy someone else had success with and try and twist it to your own team. Major League Starting Pitcher that gives up a home run to an FSU kid because he was working on throwing his curve ball ahead in the count instead of just getting them out with his best pitch isn't suddenly terrible, and that kid shouldn't be given a major league contract.

What you can probably draw from them winning scrimmages is that their 5 players at the very least have the raw skill to match up with top level competitive teams.

There is a psychological edge to winning scrims though. So they don't mean nothing and they pick up laning characteristics. Really hope Quantic has what it takes to get top 2. I don't know what it is about GGU, but don't really like the players. They come off super cocky when they really lucked out in Spring Playoffs against a crumbling Dig.

What really surprised me about the AC vs CLG games was how bottom lane just crumbled. Demonlul was looking so strong coming into this but he just lost lane and fell behind so never had the potential of carrying late. Wonder what a pro's take on why AC lost would be.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Copycat Zero posted:

They can list pretty much anyone. On the topic of subs, I really hope teams (not just Velocity) aren't quickly forgetting what happened to AAA, though, with their choice of subs. The sub should be good, sure, but they also need to be available at a moment's notice. Most teams aren't going to be willing to pay subs to live in the house and practice with the team, though, with the way Riot is handling subs.

What I really want to see from the scene is for subs to become more of an active bench than an emergency contact list. If teams had a team of five and two subs that can easily rotate in and out to fill different roles and play different champions, I think we'd start to see the meta move at a much faster pace and there'd be a lot more variability in the games played, resulting in more interesting games.

Momentum has really been the highlighted factor in the last few weeks of the LCS and the relegation tournament. If we had active subs we'd see a lot less of the 3-0 crushes and giant losing streaks; you'd be surprised how effective swapping in a refreshed player off the bench is at combating the downward momentum.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 14, 2013

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
This CookMySock on British Tea Time is terrible. His team starts baron and he goes for the enemies wraith camp as the other team heads up to start a baron fight. Then he goes bottom to try to splitpush as his team gets 3v5'd and finally after his team dies he decides to teleport in to a ward at baron and gets 1v5'd instagibbed.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

IBentMyWookie posted:

There is a psychological edge to winning scrims though. So they don't mean nothing and they pick up laning characteristics. Really hope Quantic has what it takes to get top 2. I don't know what it is about GGU, but don't really like the players. They come off super cocky when they really lucked out in Spring Playoffs against a crumbling Dig.

What really surprised me about the AC vs CLG games was how bottom lane just crumbled. Demonlul was looking so strong coming into this but he just lost lane and fell behind so never had the potential of carrying late. Wonder what a pro's take on why AC lost would be.

Oh sure, I'm not saying nothing is gained from doing well in scrims. You just have to be hesitant to make a real leap in judgement or draw a big conclusion from it. If there's something like a psychological advantage, it will translate to actual games. You don't have to try and quantify that, because it just gets rolled into the final product. Like, right this second, I'd say Quantic is 5th possibly 4th if you are being generous. They are new to the LCS, and they have to compete with 6 teams that battled it out and kept themselves in it. I honestly don't see how you can handicap them higher than mid-table until they start crushin' it during the season.

e: meant to say as high as 4th.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 14, 2013

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Copycat Zero posted:

I think Atlanta said in an AMA he might end up being one of the subs. So, nothing :)

Also, I found the most boring LCS game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCT17Zy59Z0

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 14, 2013

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Ninkobei posted:

This CookMySock on British Tea Time is terrible. His team starts baron and he goes for the enemies wraith camp as the other team heads up to start a baron fight. Then he goes bottom to try to splitpush as his team gets 3v5'd and finally after his team dies he decides to teleport in to a ward at baron and gets 1v5'd instagibbed.

Last week he displayed some really great mechanics and clutch game winning teleports. I wasn't watching this particular game, but didnt BTT end up coming out with a 2-0 victory?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

A jargogle posted:

Last week he displayed some really great mechanics and clutch game winning teleports. I wasn't watching this particular game, but didnt BTT end up coming out with a 2-0 victory?

Where are these games from?

e: from an interview:
"I saw you picked Teleport on a jungle Elise. What was the main objective of that?"

JnT Taylor: Well, only the spider is safe in her web.

e: ohhh http://www.twitch.tv/kaostv

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 15, 2013

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Jonny Angel posted:

Relevant, with Dan Dinh's comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQ_5UV9Ukg
tl;dw: They are mechanically proficient but their momentum started so early they didn't really have much of a chance to throw or make serious mistakes.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Copycat Zero posted:

No, but being a sub doesn't mean much. Atlanta gets really nasty LAN nerves as well.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Studio posted:

No, but being a sub doesn't mean much. Atlanta gets really nasty LAN nerves as well.

Hey, you should put yourself on Velocity's Leaguepedia page.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Studio posted:

I just got home, but I'm tired so I won't do a full writeup until at least tomorrow. Let's just say there's work to do

Studio posted:

Still waiting <:(>

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
http://www.twitch.tv/ongamenet/popout

OGN is rebroadcasting SK T1 vs CJ Blaze right now. Was a pretty instructive set of matches to see how good these korean teams are.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

semicolonsrock posted:

Where are these games from?

e: from an interview:
"I saw you picked Teleport on a jungle Elise. What was the main objective of that?"

JnT Taylor: Well, only the spider is safe in her web.

e: ohhh http://www.twitch.tv/kaostv

Yeah, it's a relatively recent EUW challenger startup tournament. BTT are playing right now in fact.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Sexpansion posted:

OGN is rebroadcasting SK T1 vs CJ Blaze right now. Was a pretty instructive set of matches to see how good these korean teams are.

Found a site where you can watch Korean pros streaming. http://op.gg/progamer/pro/

Actually not streaming it's live spectate.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 15, 2013

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I have an idea to put together in-depth statistics for LCS games, stuff like successful gank percentage, 1st trade win percentage, splits for CS in lane, mid, and end phases. Hell, determining when lane phase ends. So 2 questions 1) you dudes have any other ideas, 2) is there any way I can get full replays of LCS games (as in, replays where I can control the camera)?

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

Flame's top lane Ryze was pretty interesting! Especially since he got killed a lot but still managed to be potent.

And yeah, CJ Blaze's map control and movement was impressive.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

TheModernAmerican posted:

I have an idea to put together in-depth statistics for LCS games, stuff like successful gank percentage, 1st trade win percentage, splits for CS in lane, mid, and end phases. Hell, determining when lane phase ends. So 2 questions 1) you dudes have any other ideas, 2) is there any way I can get full replays of LCS games (as in, replays where I can control the camera)?

Other statistics I would be interested in seeing is where and when ganks come top, mid, bot and which teams win. Would be nice to have some data on what exactly makes effective jungling. Which lane wins (was it a 2v1, did it have a gank, was it top or bottom, and what time) which I believe is determined by who knocks down the outer turret first which ends laning phase for that lane. How many wards, how many wards/min, how many wards killed which would give an idea on vision control and it's effect on win rate.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Flame's top lane Ryze was pretty interesting! Especially since he got killed a lot but still managed to be potent.

And yeah, CJ Blaze's map control and movement was impressive.

What's really impressive to me about the Koreans is that teamfights are seldom decisive where they can take an objective or baron after (lot of this is because the games are sub 30 mins usually). Even 5v5 teamfights will often go 2-2 or 3-2 or the all out brawls everybody dies except for one guy who is so near dead all they can do is back. And they will often end the game while they have a level advantage but not be level capped.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
http://live.neotv.cn/live/pipe-27

Stars wars in going on right now. I don't think there's an english stream.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
worst tournament name. Whoever is responsible for that decision should be forced to say stars war over and over while watching jar jar binks scenes in an endless loop.

edit: holy gently caress perfect sejuani ult followed up by crescendo and shockwave

Savage Cracker fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 16, 2013

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Savage Cracker posted:

worst tournament name. Whoever is responsible for that decision should be forced to say stars wars over and over while watching jar jar binks scenes in an endless loop.

Yeah, it's bad. The chinese scene is weird - I can't tell if it's really good or just average. I think it's pretty good, but the games can be a little boring.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
There's three Chinese teams (WE, IG, OMG) who are on a level where they can pretty consistently beat competition like TPA and Korean teams. China has a strong scene.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Jonny Angel posted:

There's three Chinese teams (WE, IG, OMG) who are on a level where they can pretty consistently beat competition like TPA and Korean teams. China has a strong scene.

Yeah, so who *is* OMG anyway and where did they come from? They popped out of seemingly nowhere and started destroying everyone. Anyone know the story?

I kind of find it hard to like WE after that one game against EG CLG.EU where their support had like 15 wards on him at one point, and thus started the awful tradition of the audience cheering for every ward kill. For as godly as they are (or were, heh), they play kind of passively and aren't all that fun to watch.

Edit: And TPA lost to SGS already in the new season of the GPL? TPA, you're breaking my heart. :smith:

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I don't follow the Asian scene very well but I think OMG is like the new hot team.

• Locked thread