Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Totally Reasonable posted:

Speaking of pita...

It's yet another KAF recipe. I like this one, since it was finished in <2 hours. The next batch will be 50/50 whole wheat/bread flour.

Those look great. Is there a homemade falafel thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bob Morales posted:

Those look great. Is there a homemade falafel thread?
I made falafel for my ICSA 57 entry which counts I guess. Falafel is pretty easy.

Juice Packets
Sep 22, 2005

They're Handy But They Leak Like Fuck!™

contrapants posted:

This past weekend, I also tried my hand at bagel making using this recipe. I made the dough the night before and refrigerated it overnight.

I couldn't get them to be very circular, and the ends wouldn't stay together. This might be because the dough was still slightly cold or because they were coated in oil. I think next time I'll poke a hole through the center and stretch them instead.

Even though they were crescent shaped, they were delicious. I wish I had made them all garlic, but I was afraid the garlic would burn and would taste awful. Even though the garlic is blackened, it was not hard and did not taste burnt at all.

I recently tried my hand at bagels using this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/how-to-make-homemade-bagels-a-la-jo-goldenberg-recipe.html

The loop-and-stick method works for me, generally you just need to wet each end and then squish together a bit til you get a holey bagelly whole. Never oiled my dough, I'm presuming that's why yours popped open. Definitely going to try a longer/slower ferment in the fridge next time I make these.

Mine turned out like this, by the way (please excuse the poor image quality).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
Some batards:

Same dough, given a little stretch into baguette country:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

This seems to be a purely cosmetic problem, but I can't get pretty scoring on my bread. I'm making them about half an inch deep, but it expands so much in the oven they get pretty much erased.

This one was in a square pattern and its pretty much completely gone:

This ones a little better (Same dough).

I'm wondering if its a result of the higher temperature (475F) I'm cooking at or if i'm not scoring deep enough or what.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

This seems to be a purely cosmetic problem, but I can't get pretty scoring on my bread. I'm making them about half an inch deep, but it expands so much in the oven they get pretty much erased.

On the 2nd it looks like the crust is developing too quickly and constricting the rise, making it burst out rather than spread. Try a combination of the following;

When you are proofing the dough cover it loosely with plastic wrap (prevents the surface from drying out),
Lightly spray the surface of the dough with water just before you put it in the oven (softens it),
Place a pan of water in the oven to create steam.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I did all 3 of those. :smith:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I made a batch of bagels. The recipe was from the Bread Baker's Apprentice. They came out really well and were pretty easy, though kneading the dough made my stand mixer start smoking because the dough was so dense and there was a lot of it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Plus_Infinity posted:

I made a batch of bagels. The recipe was from the Bread Baker's Apprentice. They came out really well and were pretty easy, though kneading the dough made my stand mixer start smoking because the dough was so dense and there was a lot of it.

Was it a KitchenAid? BBA calls for "medium speed" in a lot of the recipes but you're never supposed to go above 2 on KitchenAid models if you're using a dough hook.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Here's some burger buns from Bread Baker's Apprentice. Done in 4 hours, from start to finish, which is lightning fast to me, considering my usual bread is sourdough (taking multiple days and lots of rising). Turned out big and fluffy, and really nice.

I gotta try that bagel recipe sometime, too.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Was it a KitchenAid? BBA calls for "medium speed" in a lot of the recipes but you're never supposed to go above 2 on KitchenAid models if you're using a dough hook.

Ahh. Yes that must have been it. Thanks!

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Pita pile v2:

These came out much better than the last set, which had crispy centers due to hand-flattening. These are soft, fluffy, and awesome with some labneh and za'atar.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Totally Reasonable posted:

Pita pile v2:

These came out much better than the last set, which had crispy centers due to hand-flattening. These are soft, fluffy, and awesome with some labneh and za'atar.

Those look amazing. I love how that one top left looks almost inflated.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have a silly question! Why does (most) fresh bread taste so much better then old? Is it a process of loosing moisture and elasticity, or something deeper? Explain it to me like you're Alton Brown.

Also, I read it was illegal in war shortage times in the UK to sell bread less then a day old, because otherwise it was too delicious and was eaten too fast. Is that true? Such sacrifice they made it times of war, not to know fresh bread.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

not bad for a second attempt!! tastes kinda dry and the crumb is a little denser than I would like, but it was a dream to knead. next time I will be daring and follow the larger amount of water to get it nice and soft. King Arthur never fails me :kimchi: thanks to everyone who gave kneading tips!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have a silly question! Why does (most) fresh bread taste so much better then old? Is it a process of loosing moisture and elasticity, or something deeper? Explain it to me like you're Alton Brown.

Also, I read it was illegal in war shortage times in the UK to sell bread less then a day old, because otherwise it was too delicious and was eaten too fast. Is that true? Such sacrifice they made it times of war, not to know fresh bread.

I had a look at the Finnish Bread Information web site and they had a good tip: "The best place to store bread is in the stomach." Other than that is was something about recrystallizing starch etc.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Another day, another bread.

At my fiancée's request, I made her favorite bread: a rosemary ciabatta loaf. I never had it before, and because rosemary is so strong, I didn't want to use too much much rosemary and ruin it. We both thought is was moist and delicious, but I think I can add a little more rosemary next time.

I took another stab at pretzels. This time, I used 2 parts whole wheat flour and 3 parts white flour. They were chewy and malleable, but it a good way.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I've been lurking this thread for a while, and I finally have something worth posting. My first no-knead bread! I've only ever baked bread with a bread machine, so this was a pretty awesome experience.

The recipe:
http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2012/07/27/dutch-oven-crusty-bread/

It came out beautifully! Perfectly crusty on the outside, and chewy on the inside.

The only issue I ran into was shaping the dough afterwards, it kind of just became a blob and would never hold it's shape. Is that normal for no-knead dough? I had it sitting in a deep mixing bowl for almost 24 hours before I baked it in the dutch oven.

Overall, I think I'm going to be baking a lot more bread in the weeks to come. I purchased The Bread Baker's Apprentice a few days ago, so I got plenty of reading ahead of me.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I don't know much about no-knead dough since I've never made anything that didn't require at least a stretch and fold but if the dough is high hydration it will not hold much of a shape without something to keep it in place.

If you're shaping a really loose dough a good technique is to form it into a boule or other simple shape and work the ends underneath with some pulling to create surface tension, then when you do your final rise you can tip it into the bowl/banette whatever with the seam-side up so that you can just dump it onto a baking sheet/pizza stone/whatever seam-side down after the oven is heated up and it tends to rise up instead of out and hold a good shape.

I made a crazy rosemary boule yesterday with whole wheat flour and water and according to this calculator http://joshuacronemeyer.github.io/Flour-and-Water/ it's like 120% hydration...I didn't use a recipe at all (except to kind of mimic the proofing schedule from weekend bakery baguettes without a poolish) and it came out amazingly, I'm really glad I took a picture. I made it to bring to my brother who never eats properly and he just tore off chunks and ate half in front of me...

120% (???) hydration rosemary boule with dirty cup measurements

4 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp rosemary (I used dried leaves and ground them into a powder)
1 tsp salt
black pepper (however much you like)

proof 1/2 tbsp yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water with your 1 tbsp sugar. Pour your 2 cups of warm water into a mixing bowl, once the yeast is proofed mix all the liquid together and add your flour. Mix until it's a shaggy mass, then allow to autolyse (rise while covered in a warm spot) for 1/2 hour. After 1/2 an hour, mix your rosemary, salt and pepper into the dough either in the mixing bowl or by rubbing it over the surface of the dough during the initial stretch and fold.

1st stretch and fold - just do the envelope fold a bunch of times until you feel it getting gluteny (resisting more)

rest for ten minutes, do one envelope fold, rest ten minutes. Do one envelope fold every ten minutes three more times. Pre-heat your oven to 400f. Shape the dough into a boule and toss it into a well-floured or totally non-stick bowl/banette/whatever and let it rise for an hour with the seam-side (where you pulled the ends together) up, after an hour tip it onto your pizza stone/baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, seam-side down.

- Tips:

I did not use any extra flour at all until it was time to shape it into a boule. I kept a bowl of cool water by me and kept my hands wet, also used a chef's knife as a scraper for the first pull off the counter-top.

I floured my counter top and the top of the dough during my final shaping into a boule just so I could get it dry enough on the outside to hold a shape before going into the rising bowl.

You could probably really improve this recipe by mixing together 50% of the flour, 1 1/2 cups of the water and 50% of the yeast the night before and leaving it in the fridge (making a poolish), then adding the rest of the flour and water (after proofing the rest of the yeast) the next day.

e: pics!

and bonus rosemary boule next to my weekly loaves

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 23, 2013

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

A cutaway of some focaccia I baked today. It's another Reinhart recipie from BBA. He used a gently caress ton of olive oil, but it turns out so beautifully soft and aromatic its hard to disagree with it. I definitely want to make some flat bread pizzas using this.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NightConqueror posted:

A cutaway of some focaccia I baked today. It's another Reinhart recipie from BBA. He used a gently caress ton of olive oil, but it turns out so beautifully soft and aromatic its hard to disagree with it. I definitely want to make some flat bread pizzas using this.

I've made the KA blitz focaccia which is pretty good given how quick and easy it is. I'd like to try it with 00 flour. If you don't eat it all at once it makes amazing garlic bread: slice it open, fill with butter/garlic/basil/parsley mix, wrap in foil and stick in the oven for a few minutes. Sensational.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Those are lovely! You should definitely make pizza (and give us pictures of it).

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I've been out of bread action for a few weeks due to kitchen refurbishment. I ended that by making a TigerGiraffe bread and a standard white bloomer. Proved both overnight in the fridge for extra flavour.

The tiger bread is gorgeously soft, tasty and the crust is amazing; the bloomer is for tomorrow.

I'm probably going to tackle some viennoiserie next.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

twoot posted:

I've been out of bread action for a few weeks due to kitchen refurbishment. I ended that by making a TigerGiraffe bread and a standard white bloomer. Proved both overnight in the fridge for extra flavour.

The tiger bread is gorgeously soft, tasty and the crust is amazing; the bloomer is for tomorrow.

I'm probably going to tackle some viennoiserie next.

Tiger recipe please! It looks sensational.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

Tiger bread

Bread:
500g strong white flour
10g salt
7g dried yeast
3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
310ml luke-warm water

Topping:
100g rice flour
1 tsp dried yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
150ml luke-warm water

Preheat the oven to 220c/425F and place a baking tray filled with water on the bottom shelf
Place the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the oil and 240ml/9fl oz of water.

Mix the ingredients together. Gradually add the remaining water (you may not need it all), until all the flour leaves the side of the bowl and you have a soft, rough dough.

Pour a little olive oil onto a clean work surface. Sit the dough on the oil and begin to knead; do this for 5-10 minutes. Once the correct consistency is achieved, place the dough into a clean, oiled bowl. Cover with plastic film and leave in a warm place until tripled in size (~2hrs), or in a fridge overnight.

Once risen, place the dough onto a surface and knock the dough back by folding it in on itself repeatedly and pressing with your fists. Do this until all the air is knocked out and the dough is smooth.

Shape into a bloomer. Place on a heavily-floured tray, cover and leave to prove for 1-1.5 hours at room temperature, or until doubled in size.
Make the tiger topping by stirring all the ingredients together. Leave for 15 minutes.
Paste the tiger topping thickly over the loaf and leave to rise uncovered for another 30 mins. It doesn’t matter if some of the topping slides off of the loaf.
Place the loaf on the middle shelf and bake for 20 minutes. After this time lower the heat to 200C/400F and bake for a further 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.

Some things;
The topping is quite fussy and is easy to overbake, if it looks like it is going too dark too quickly then turn the temperature down to 200c or lower early. The pattern is also completely unpredictable, sometimes you will get amazing fractal type things and other times it will be underwhelming (but not in taste).
I used olive oil to knead, but I guess if you want it to taste stronger you could knead with the Toasted sesame oil although your hands and the work surface will probably reek of sesame for days after.
This recipe works really well for individual rolls, just divide up the dough and do about ~2/3rds of the cooking times.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 26, 2013

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Does anyone have a good sourdough hotdog/hamburger bun recipe? Something nice and light for standard Memorial Day grill fare.

edit: Tried out my starter today:

Not quite ready for primetime yet, but my recipe is solid.

Totally Reasonable fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 27, 2013

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Souring a dough.

starter

The round boule is getting baked today, the one in the basket is going in the fridge overnight.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Double posting cause this thread is slow.

The round guy

Overnight guy

The overnight one has a thicker crust, more open crumb, more sourer.
If you have the time highly suggested to let a sour proof overnight it is so much better in every way.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made some rolls and a boule loaf

crumbshots

I think I cut the loaf too deeply and it was slightly underkneaded. Still tastes like :swoon:

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

What are peoples' experience with fresh yeast (also called cake yeast)? I found a bakery by me that's willing to sell me a couple ounces, and I've been experimenting. The first attempt was an unmitigated disaster due to a lovely conversion chart I found online, but my second go is in its first rise right now and seems to be doing just fine so far.

I've seen a lot of variation in converting from instant, does anyone have a rule-of-thumb they like?

Also, I am majorly crushing on Richard Bertinet, both for his outrageously French accent and his kneading technique.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Zeithos posted:

What are peoples' experience with fresh yeast (also called cake yeast)? I found a bakery by me that's willing to sell me a couple ounces, and I've been experimenting. The first attempt was an unmitigated disaster due to a lovely conversion chart I found online, but my second go is in its first rise right now and seems to be doing just fine so far.

I've seen a lot of variation in converting from instant, does anyone have a rule-of-thumb they like?

Also, I am majorly crushing on Richard Bertinet, both for his outrageously French accent and his kneading technique.

I read a conversion chart that said 1 part rapid rise = 4/3 part active dry = 2 parts fresh. I've never used fresh yeast, but the rapid rise -> active dry conversion has worked well for me.

After watching that video, I tried using Richard Bertinet's method. I made a partially-whole wheat rosemary loaf.

• 1c water
  • 0.5c 1% milk
  • 5tsp active dry yeast
  • 3tbsp white sugar
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1/4c olive oil
  • 2tbsp dry rosemary
  • 1c whole wheat flour (scooped)
  • 2c white bread flour (scooped)
  • 1c white bread flour (scooped), added during kneading to make it come together
  • pinch of cornmeal to dust the bottom of the loaf pan

Baked at 400*F for 20 minutes. It is delicious.

Just below the top seam where I slashed it is hollow and a little doughy as if it didn't completely cook in the center. Slices from the center fall in half when I used it for sandwiches. I think next time I should bake it at 350*F for ~35 minutes.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

Unfortunately my second attempt with fresh yeast didn't go well either. Neither batch rose really at all, and if I let it sit for longer you could smell the yeast over-proofing. I did the exact same loaf with instant right after dumping failure no. 2 and it was perfect. I'm still somewhat convinced the fresh yeast wasn't good, even though I saw them opening a new block to sell me some.

contrapants posted:

After watching that video, I tried using Richard Bertinet's method. I made a partially-whole wheat rosemary loaf.

• 1c white bread flour (scooped), added during kneading to make it come together

Just below the top seam where I slashed it is hollow and a little doughy as if it didn't completely cook in the center. Slices from the center fall in half when I used it for sandwiches. I think next time I should bake it at 350*F for ~35 minutes.

I was under the impression that you weren't supposed to add more flour with Bertinet's method? To be fair I've only done it with straight flour-water-yeast-salt breads, so I don't know how the dough feels with a more ingredient-heavy recipe.

As for bake time, I'd suggest cooking it at 400 until it's browned the way you'd like, then tent it loosely with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. That way you'll get the lovely crust, but it won't over brown while the middle bits firm up.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

contrapants posted:

According to his video, at least, you should have cooked it as hot as possible (i.e. not 400*F) for 10 minutes, then dropped the temerature down some amount and cooked for a further 20 minutes.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Zeithos posted:

Unfortunately my second attempt with fresh yeast didn't go well either. Neither batch rose really at all, and if I let it sit for longer you could smell the yeast over-proofing. I did the exact same loaf with instant right after dumping failure no. 2 and it was perfect. I'm still somewhat convinced the fresh yeast wasn't good, even though I saw them opening a new block to sell me some.

I was under the impression that you weren't supposed to add more flour with Bertinet's method? To be fair I've only done it with straight flour-water-yeast-salt breads, so I don't know how the dough feels with a more ingredient-heavy recipe.

As for bake time, I'd suggest cooking it at 400 until it's browned the way you'd like, then tent it loosely with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. That way you'll get the lovely crust, but it won't over brown while the middle bits firm up.

You're not supposed to, but my dough wasn't coming together at all. I kneaded it for 15 minutes, and it was still a thick goop that was gluing itself to my counter. It was probably because I subbed in some wheat flour where I would normally have used all white. This is the first wheat loaf I've made.

Placid Marmot posted:

According to his video, at least, you should have cooked it as hot as possible (i.e. not 400*F) for 10 minutes, then dropped the temerature down some amount and cooked for a further 20 minutes.

He was also making thinner bread rather than a loaf. I was afraid that the outside would cook while the inside stayed raw. Of course, that happened anyway.

I think that I may have experimented with too many factors at the same time. I think I'll keep it simple with a Bertinet-method white baguette next time.

Also, I couldn't really understand him in the original video, so I went by this one. He goes into more detail and (to my ear) has better audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOjSp5_YiF0

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

contrapants posted:

You're not supposed to, but my dough wasn't coming together at all. I kneaded it for 15 minutes, and it was still a thick goop that was gluing itself to my counter. It was probably because I subbed in some wheat flour where I would normally have used all white. This is the first wheat loaf I've made.

It's not really supposed to come together like a normal dough, the recipe is very high hydration and adding any flour makes a completely different outcome. High hydration doughs are not meant to be conventionally kneaded, they will always stick to your counter and be a thick goop. He makes it look easy only because he is an expert. If you can't use your hands to stretch and fold the dough, keep scraping it off the counter and stretching it with a bench or chef's knife.

It is true that it is easier to use the method he is using with an all-white dough though which may be why yours was stickier. I make high hydration whole wheat breads often and they are always gluey and take longer to become "plumb". Stick with the recipe and you will have success.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

contrapants posted:

He was also making thinner bread rather than a loaf. I was afraid that the outside would cook while the inside stayed raw. Of course, that happened anyway.

I think that I may have experimented with too many factors at the same time. I think I'll keep it simple with a Bertinet-method white baguette next time.

Also, I couldn't really understand him in the original video, so I went by this one. He goes into more detail and (to my ear) has better audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOjSp5_YiF0

He said if using dry yeast, you don't have to activate it in water and sugar ahead of time? Why is that different from what other people have suggested?

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Zeithos posted:

Even if they opened it for you, that block could have been in the cooler for weeks. Good fresh yeast should be dry(ish), firm, and crumbly. If it's rubbery or wet or has any darker spots, it's old and won't be very powerful. A good ratio for different yeast types is 10:5-4:3.33 fresh:active dry:instant. Also, with fresh yeast you must keep the yeast and salt separate. Otherwise the salt will kill your yeast. I usually put the yeast in the bottom of the bowl and add the salt last on top of the rest of the dry ingredients.

Is there any particular reason you want to use fresh yeast?

Doh004 posted:

He said if using dry yeast, you don't have to activate it in water and sugar ahead of time? Why is that different from what other people have suggested?

If you're using active dry yeast, you'll need to dissolve it in warm water. Instant yeast can be added directly to the dry. This is because the instant yeast granules are smaller and will dissolve sufficiently as the dough is mixed.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

The Doctor posted:

It's not really supposed to come together like a normal dough, the recipe is very high hydration and adding any flour makes a completely different outcome. High hydration doughs are not meant to be conventionally kneaded, they will always stick to your counter and be a thick goop. He makes it look easy only because he is an expert. If you can't use your hands to stretch and fold the dough, keep scraping it off the counter and stretching it with a bench or chef's knife.

Let me say this, as no expert, the first attempt it took 40 minutes to get his results, with a lot of swearing (and swearing to God that Frenchman was lying to me). Second time it took about 15 minutes, each time since then has been about 8 - 10.

The important thing is to use your hand like scoops, rather than forks, as he says. Don't spread your fingers, especially in the early stage. I also cheat and use the bowlscraper spatula on my kitchenaid to get everything mixed up at first. I also will lift-splat-stretch-cover and then grab the side (about 90 degrees) and repeat, rather than repeating from the same direction. It doesn't make a results-difference, but the motion is mechanically easier for me.

edit because I missed this:

WhoIsYou posted:

Even if they opened it for you, that block could have been in the cooler for weeks. Good fresh yeast should be dry(ish), firm, and crumbly. If it's rubbery or wet or has any darker spots, it's old and won't be very powerful. A good ratio for different yeast types is 10:5-4:3.33 fresh:active dry:instant. Also, with fresh yeast you must keep the yeast and salt separate. Otherwise the salt will kill your yeast. I usually put the yeast in the bottom of the bowl and add the salt last on top of the rest of the dry ingredients.

Is there any particular reason you want to use fresh yeast?

It reminded me of moist plasticine more than anything else, which I'm guessing is a bad thing. It didn't smell 'right' on first blush, but I waved that off because I'd never used fresh before. Maybe should have payed better attention to my gut. I did make sure to keep my salt well away.

I wanted to use fresh yeast for the experience of it, honestly; I'd been reading up on it and had never tried it, and a number of folks swear up and down it gives fantastic results. Of course, I get fantastic results from instant, so I may have been trying to fix what wasn't broken.

96 BELOW THE WAVE fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 6, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

WhoIsYou posted:

If you're using active dry yeast, you'll need to dissolve it in warm water. Instant yeast can be added directly to the dry. This is because the instant yeast granules are smaller and will dissolve sufficiently as the dough is mixed.

Gotcha! I just did that technique with 500g of strong white flour, ~350g of water and I proofed 2 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast in warm water for 10 minutes with some white sugar. I just slapped it a ton on my counter top - it was really sticky to start out. I stopped once it was starting to get shiny on the outside and was sticking less to me and the counter. Now I'm letting it proof for an hour. Hope it works :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Gotcha! I just did that technique with 500g of strong white flour, ~350g of water and I proofed 2 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast in warm water for 10 minutes with some white sugar. I just slapped it a ton on my counter top - it was really sticky to start out. I stopped once it was starting to get shiny on the outside and was sticking less to me and the counter. Now I'm letting it proof for an hour. Hope it works :ohdear:

This is the most oven spring I've ever gotten outta a bread:

But it's only on one side, what happened :saddowns:? Did I deflate it too much on one side when shaping the boule? I think I need one of those bowls.

*edit* Holy poo poo, this is the lightest bread I've ever made. It could have a much more uniform crumb, but it's so soft and tasty.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 6, 2013