Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
The strength of an Esper is related to their 'Personal Reality'. I'm sure tying Mikoto to a network hive mind would have a direct (possibly negative) impact on her ability as a level 5 Esper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

AtomikKrab posted:

The other thing missed a lot is that the fruits of this were to be later used to boost Mikoto as well. It is mentioned that there would be adjustments to mikoto based off this as well, so the Misaka's get given 0 information about accelerator and have to learn as they go and get brutally slaughtered. Then I guess they upload all the information into Mikoto for SCIENCE or something. They probably wouldn't have much of a problem dumping all the information from the clones into her given their tech the network not being linked to her is likely deliberate.

They could just integrate it into the curriculum, she's in an ESP development program, they can and do tailor such to exceptional individuals(like pretty much all the Level 5s, as well as any rare level 4 powers with interesting implications).

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
The more I watch of Railgun, the more I wish I'd never watched Index.

Railgun does everything better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Less punching. :colbert:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Holy loving technobabble.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Dan7el posted:

I think this is the first ever Japanese anime where I heard someone say "meow" instead of "nyaa" for the sound a cat makes. And then, the cat said "meow" also. Which, I think, is more accurate than "nyaa" anyway. Actually, if I were to imitate it, I'd do more of an "rweorw" sort of. I don't understand the whole "nyaa" thing. It's just not very accurate, in my opinion.
It's actually "myaa" which is another form of "nyaa". You hearing myaa as meow is just another reason why onomatopoeias differ by language.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 13, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The LNs have a bit of trivia on Level 5s and their development.
The seven Level 5s of Academy City had specialized analysis and research facilities created for them. The other students were usually jealous of this, but it actually meant she had to match her schedule to what the adults wanted regardless of when she was supposed to have free time.

And those supplementary Level 5 facilities were not all contained within the grounds of Tokiwadai Middle School. She sometimes had to leave the school grounds and travel to an external facility.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God drat, that's a lot of novels. :stare: I'm tempted to read ahead in them if it wasn't for the fact that Index sucks chode. I really wish Railgun was further along...I'll be in my 50s before it catches up to the novels.

Anyway, gently caress that guy. I knew what was coming and it still hit really hard. :smith:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

YOu are gonna be very disappointed. Until Accelerator gets the Jerk punched out of him by Kamijou

Please stop posting spoilers for poo poo that isn't this show without marking them. For like the fiftieth time.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Joshlemagne posted:

Please stop posting spoilers for poo poo that isn't this show without marking them. For like the fiftieth time.

Because it is also going to happen in this show?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Because it is also going to happen in this show?

Um, yes? That's exactly it. It is an unmarked major spoiler for this show. Quite a few people in this thread don't know how this arc plays out.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Um, yes? That's exactly it. It is an unmarked major spoiler for this show. Quite a few people in this thread don't know how this arc plays out.

Yes, thus my spoilering it to keep it in the dark for those who wish no spoilers, you were agreeing with me right?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtomikKrab posted:

Yes, thus my spoilering it to keep it in the dark for those who wish no spoilers, you were agreeing with me right?

Spoilers should be for things that had already happened in the latest episode. Events that will only happen in future episodes should not be posted or, if posted, should be clearly marked as spoilers of future events.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3059901 - ADTRW Forum Rules posted:

If you're talking about external material (official manga, preview magazines, etc) in an ongoing series' thread, use spoiler tags and label them every time!

This should be obvious. Not everyone watching _____ anime has read the manga/ wants to be spoiled by what's going to happen! Be courteous and use the tags and label them properly as (MANGA SPOILERS) or (MAGAZINE SPOILERS) every time, or if it's a manga, take it to a new thread!

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 15, 2013

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

JosephWongKS posted:

Spoilers should be for things that had already happened in the latest episode. Events that will only happen in future episodes should not be posted or, if posted, should be clearly marked as spoilers of future events.

What if it happened in the main show years ago already?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Doesn't matter because people watching Railgun may never have watched Index. The earlier Railgun anime might be a bit more iffy, though I prefer to err on the side of overmarking than under.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
It's the same logic as manga spoilers. HxH was doing the chimera ant arc "years ago" but that doesn't mean I can go into their anime thread and talk about everything thats going to happen at the end of the arc.

Essentially, if it's something that's going to happen in the future episodes, and you already know about it, tag it as future episode spoilers, or better yet don't loving post it!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Healbot posted:

What if it happened in the main show years ago already?

I have never watched Index nor do I plan to ever.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

ChronoReverse posted:

I have never watched Index nor do I plan to ever.

This is for the best. Just look up the animated gifs of Touma punching poo poo and spare yourself hours upon hours of disappointment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Index has something stupid like 30 light novels at this point, it's just bloated beyond belief. There are a small handful of characters that are sort of interesting, but it's sort of irrelevant because the actual main character isn't one of them and he is always prominent. Even when it is dealing with said interesting characters the material is always horrendously paced and :words: as hell and it just makes me vaguely irritated whenever I try to watch or read it. Railgun really only "fixes" this in that by its very nature it has to focus on one set of characters all the time and I think the manga format doesn't lend itself to the terrible technobabble pacing of the light novels (mostly).

They should get this mangaka to make similar spin-offs for the other two male main characters, thus removing the need to ever deal with Index ever again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like Index, but I can completely understand why people wouldn't.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Endorph posted:

I like Index, but I can completely understand why people wouldn't.

The character or the anime? I don't dislike Touma that much I just highly dislike the character Index, she ruins every scene she is in with her annoying crap.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

She is much better as Squid Girl.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

She is much better as Squid Girl.

Well, Squid Girl isn't a wretched, petulant brat who throws head-biting tantrums at every opportunity. That probably helps somewhat.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How would you even bite a head? Why would you even bite a head?

Index the series always felt like the writer was throwing everything he could in there, hoping to trip across a good idea rather than be forced to actually think one up. The worst part is that he does get a couple of good characters and story arcs through this method, but there's so much crap you have to wade through first that it's barely worth your time.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Saying Index ruins every scene she's in is probably an understatement, I might use the verb 'defile'. Hell I even liked Touma initially and then he was ruined by her. INDEX SPOILERS IE lost his memory and became a one dimensional moralfag.

Wait on a... if S goes 24 episodes we could well see Index on screen in Railgun? Does that ever happen in the manga?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
She made a few cameos in the second half of the first season. I doubt she'll be any more prominent this season.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Index was fine for the first episode, and even had some funny moments. She never really progressed from there, though, and got boring real fast.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

lodoubt posted:

Saying Index ruins every scene she's in is probably an understatement, I might use the verb 'defile'. Hell I even liked Touma initially and then he was ruined by her. INDEX SPOILERS IE lost his memory and became a one dimensional moralfag.

Wait on a... if S goes 24 episodes we could well see Index on screen in Railgun? Does that ever happen in the manga?

Moralfag?

Edit: I really hope this series cuts down on the completely pointless filler the first series had, like the VR beach episode.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well they are schoolkids, even with superpowers, some of that helps set the tone.

Though VR swimsuit frolics for basically an episode might be excessive.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
And then there were the completely pointless episodes, like the one focusing on the Anti-skill teacher with the glasses.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Big Spider (or Red Spider, whatever his name was) episodes and the 'get-the-dorm-manager-a-date' episodes were why I gave up on the first series of Railgun. Just couldn't deal with the filler bullshit. Which is strange, because I am totally fine with Index SS. For people who've watched Railgun, would it be worth giving the series another try for the final arc?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'd say so. Honestly, you can skip episodes 13-19 and not miss anything except for the fact that capacity down is a thing.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I don't mind the filler in Railgun. Each character actually has a personality instead of being generic dumb anime heroes, so it's at least a little interesting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have a pretty high tolerance for slice of life junk, so most of the Railgun anime didn't bother me in that regard. If anything my least favorite part of the whole thing was the final arc which I thought was really dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myurton posted:

The character or the anime? I don't dislike Touma that much I just highly dislike the character Index, she ruins every scene she is in with her annoying crap.
The series. I don't mind the character, either, though she doesn't do much for me.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Just to clear up any confusion :V

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
New episode, I never remembered Accelerator being this hosed up, so that's interesting, we got our shonen protagonist power up music riffing in the background so things are gonna be good I think.

Regarding Index: Index as a character I think has potential, being what she is and all and towards the end of season 2 I think they finally started to move on that; if they keep going that direction and speed up the pacing with her development I think it'll improve.

For me what I liked best about Index aside from the whole Magic vs. Science thing is its startling adherence to avoiding power creep.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
This show is still going strong, that was another great episode.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Raenir Salazar posted:

For me what I liked best about Index aside from the whole Magic vs. Science thing is its startling adherence to avoiding power creep.

It's kind of hard to apply power creep over a guy who renders literally all powers null. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Popehoist posted:

Just to clear up any confusion :V
I have to :golfclap: the editor on that one. Just for coming up with all those names. That said, where does "Zappy Dan the Magnet Man" come from?

As for Index vs. Railgun, what turns me off to the former is how it handles an arc: Introduce 100 or so characters/set up the arc-->give two or three of the newly introduced people something important to do while ignoring the rest-->have Touma finish arc by punching something/someone/combination of the two-->ignore the 100 or so newly introduced characters for the rest of series to the point you question why they even were made in the first place. Railgun keeps the focus down to four people and a few side characters who drop in every now and again, so I can actually follow the plot and not be wondering who is who and why they are there in the first place.

• Locked thread