Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

crunk and white posted:

This is more of a thought experiment than a serious question. But if I ever make it it super rich and decide to indulge a ludicrous fantasy without regard to cost, would it be theoretically possible to put the guts of a current Macbook Pro/Air inside the case of an old 2006 black Macbook? I miss that computer more than my dead parents.

If you just want the black...

http://www.colorware.com/p-250-macbook-air-13-inch.aspx

Have to admit, it looks sexy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrUTFh7-fqo

echobucket fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

I agree. Except for the trackpad sticks out like a sore thumb. :(

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Is the 13 inch retina MacBook worth the cash over the air? I recall hearing about performance issues and I'm worried about the lack of the Kensington lock (on both machines actually). Is there a way to physically lock these devices down? I'm considering getting the 13 inch MacBook Pro and upgrading the ram myself but at that point it's almost the same price as the refurb retina version, with the main concern being the lock.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Similar question to above poster:

(Posted originally in laptop thread, but I realized this may have the experts)
I just want to confirm some advice I gave a friend:

He's an engineering student, and has the choice between a Macbook Pro Retina or a Macbook Air (13").
He says he'll be using it for note taking and writing papers, no crazy gaming.
I asked him if he'll be running some modelling programs, and he said that he might use the lab computers for those...
As to Haswell -- apparently, he's getting it as a gift, so no waiting.

I recommended him an air based on portability, would this be correct?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Is the 13 inch retina MacBook worth the cash over the air? I recall hearing about performance issues and I'm worried about the lack of the Kensington lock (on both machines actually). Is there a way to physically lock these devices down?

Retina lock:

http://www.maclocks.com/mac-locks-macbook-pro-lock-macbook-air-lock-macbook-pro-retina-lock/macbook-pro-retina-bracket-lock.html

You have to attach a bracket that goes into the top row of screws already in the bottom case of the Retina MBP.

Elsewhere on the same site there's a lock for the Air, but it involves putting the Air in a special case that has the lock.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Archer2338 posted:

Similar question to above poster:

(Posted originally in laptop thread, but I realized this may have the experts)
I just want to confirm some advice I gave a friend:

He's an engineering student, and has the choice between a Macbook Pro Retina or a Macbook Air (13").
He says he'll be using it for note taking and writing papers, no crazy gaming.
I asked him if he'll be running some modelling programs, and he said that he might use the lab computers for those...
As to Haswell -- apparently, he's getting it as a gift, so no waiting.

I recommended him an air based on portability, would this be correct?

As I understand it there might be an update to the MacBook-line up in June, so he should wait until then if it is possible.

Eee: Is that was Haswell is? If so ignore me because I'm stupid.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

benisntfunny posted:

I agree. Except for the trackpad sticks out like a sore thumb. :(

Trackpad color is customizable, apparently. It's a shame I didn't know about this site a month ago; here's hoping they're doing well enough to be still doing this in an Air iteration or two.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Trackpad color is customizable, apparently. It's a shame I didn't know about this site a month ago; here's hoping they're doing well enough to be still doing this in an Air iteration or two.
They've been in business for many many years. I remember considering them for my iBook years ago.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Mac Hardware megathread - No seriously guys, the Pro or the Air?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Airbook Pro

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hi I've taken ownership of an old Mac Pro version '2,1'. It all works swimmingly - you wouldn't think this thing was six years old - but when I've tried to run Cathode.app (terminal replacement) it comes up with a message saying that my graphics card ATI Radeon X1900 XT is not supported.

So...anybody know which graphics card I could get as an upgrade that will work? Don't need great performance or anything, just something that will do the job, preferably with two DVI outputs.

edit: Would an ATI Radeon HD 5770 work? Its got a 'PCI Express 2.0 x16' connector.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 15, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Not sure myself, but have you seen this page?

http://guides.macrumors.com/Video_Card_Upgrades_for_Mac_Pro

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you can live without a EFI boot screen then a PC Radeon 5870 is a cheap second hand drop in replacement.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hmm that all looks quite useful thanks.

~Coxy posted:

If you can live without a EFI boot screen then a PC Radeon 5870 is a cheap second hand drop in replacement.

I think I could live with that.

But now I'm thinking about it, spending money on getting a gimmicky terminal.app replacement working is maybe all a bit silly.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Hi I've taken ownership of an old Mac Pro version '2,1'. It all works swimmingly - you wouldn't think this thing was six years old - but when I've tried to run Cathode.app (terminal replacement) it comes up with a message saying that my graphics card ATI Radeon X1900 XT is not supported.

Terminal as in the text based command prompt app? Why does that have a graphics card requirement?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

IUG posted:

Terminal as in the text based command prompt app? Why does that have a graphics card requirement?

Cathode presumably uses some shader thing to make Terminal look "cool" that isn't supported by the 1900.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

People use something other than iTerm2?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I did admit its gimmicky and silly!

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Oh my gerd. This is amazing. Thank you!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I did admit its gimmicky and silly!
Cathode is neat. You could take a couple of weekends, power through a Cocoa for Dummies book, and whip up your own fancy terminal emulator.
Pissflaps.app $0.99 by PissflApps

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If it were me, I'd just get a used 5770 on eBay or something just to not have to have something else creep up and say 'uh, I need a MODERN graphics card.' And don't forget the PCI-E special power cable that needs you to become a contortionist to plug it in.

Edit: Cool, it's Pissflaps

Edit 2: For $140, how about an nVidia 8800 GT with 512MB that comes with the special cable? It's good enough and you can run CUDA stuff on it too.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 15, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Binary Badger posted:

And don't forget the PCI-E special power cable that needs you to become a contortionist to plug it in.

gently caress those things.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Recommendations on best screen cleaner for rMBP? I'm always wary, every product has at least a couple reviews of someone complaining that the cleaner leaves streaks and smudges or the cloth even scratches the screen etc etc etc.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A microfiber cloth/small towel is all you ever need to clean screens. Make a corner slightly damp if you need to wipe anything off tougher than dust.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Seconding this question. iTerm2 1.0 is the only Terminal app I can use fullscreen on both monitors without that stupid "We'll turn your second screen into a linen backdrop" 10.8 does.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A microfiber cloth/small towel is all you ever need to clean screens. Make a corner slightly damp if you need to wipe anything off tougher than dust.

Great info, thanks! Yes I know its a noobish question but I really appreciate the answer, as simple as it is.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ursine Asylum posted:

Seconding this question. iTerm2 1.0 is the only Terminal app I can use fullscreen on both monitors without that stupid "We'll turn your second screen into a linen backdrop" 10.8 does.

Ditto.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have a 2013 rMBP (15") loaded to the teeth (the $2,799 version).

Anyone care to enlighten me as to why it takes a full 30 seconds to shut down? It just sits there with a grey screen while it does something. My work Lenovo X230t with a spinning platter beats it by at least 15 seconds.

Not a huge deal, but what in the world? It's blazing fast otherwise...just shutdown/rebooting is slow as hell and I don't understand why that is.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I have a 2013 rMBP (15") loaded to the teeth (the $2,799 version).

Anyone care to enlighten me as to why it takes a full 30 seconds to shut down? It just sits there with a grey screen while it does something. My work Lenovo X230t with a spinning platter beats it by at least 15 seconds.

Not a huge deal, but what in the world? It's blazing fast otherwise...just shutdown/rebooting is slow as hell and I don't understand why that is.
This broke in Mountain Lion. Shutdown has taken forever on all of my Macs ever since 10.8 came out.

Moral of the story: don't shut down your Macs. :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

yellowjournalism posted:

Recommendations on best screen cleaner for rMBP? I'm always wary, every product has at least a couple reviews of someone complaining that the cleaner leaves streaks and smudges or the cloth even scratches the screen etc etc etc.

Bausch & Lomb (maker of eyeglass cleaner) makes a screen cleaning kit I really like, including sprays, cloths, and portable towelettes.

I use it because I occasionally eat at my desk and steam from things like soup condenses on the screen and can leave light marks when it evaporates.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am tempted to buy this; http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD101LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5 knowing full well that new Macbook Pro's are just around the corner. Good idea? Or just wait until the middle of June? I am able to get a student discount on new ones, if that matters at all. So price while not super important, is a factor in my purchasing choice, but do I risk buying something now and then the new models coming out and being a pretty nice upgrade? I haven't seen any rumors to suggest this will happen though.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Pretty much. don't even know the last time I shut down mine(mid-2009); it's still relatively quick to go to/from sleep.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

This broke in Mountain Lion.

Thanks. Will just slam the lid closed from now on!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I said come in! posted:

I am tempted to buy this; http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD101LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5 knowing full well that new Macbook Pro's are just around the corner. Good idea? Or just wait until the middle of June? I am able to get a student discount on new ones, if that matters at all. So price while not super important, is a factor in my purchasing choice, but do I risk buying something now and then the new models coming out and being a pretty nice upgrade? I haven't seen any rumors to suggest this will happen though.
The main thing that'll happen is that the built in graphics performance will probably be a little better. If you don't need it absolutely right now and can wait till June/July you're probably better off doing that but as we say often in the thread: if you need it now, buy it now and don't worry about upcoming refreshes of hardware. You can always resell it for most of the cost later if you want.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

This broke in Mountain Lion. Shutdown has taken forever on all of my Macs ever since 10.8 came out.

That explains why I wasn't seeing a whole lot better time on my Air with an SSD. Whoops.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Huh...guess I'm lucky that I haven't bothered switching my Air from Lion yet. Not that I ever shut it down.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hey, some of us have Windows games we'd like to play.

Of course it'll happen that I'll run out and build a desktop so I don't have to reboot right around the time they fix the problem. :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

carry on then posted:

Hey, some of us have Windows games we'd like to play.

Of course it'll happen that I'll run out and build a desktop so I don't have to reboot right around the time they fix the problem. :v:

But seriously folks, you should all be shutting your computers down at least once every few weeks. I had to explain this to a classmate yesterday who complained about his rMBP running slow. He hadn't even restarted the thing in like 6 months.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah I LOVE how fast my rMBP returns from sleep, I used to be a huge PC user and waiting for my laptop to start up was such a fuckin pain. This is how a laptop should be used: open lid, use for five seconds to accomplish my task, close. Forget about something, open lid, finish it, close. I have a life to live, not trying to put roots down everywhere I sit.

But the first thing I do when I feel like "things have been running slow lately" is reboot, which solves that issue a lottt (maybe more noticeably because when people come to me about their comp chugging I just tell them to restart it before coming back to me)

PRADA SLUT posted:

Bausch & Lomb (maker of eyeglass cleaner) makes a screen cleaning kit I really like, including sprays, cloths, and portable towelettes.

I use it because I occasionally eat at my desk and steam from things like soup condenses on the screen and can leave light marks when it evaporates.

Thanks for the rec!

edit: just wanted to throw in my two cents about rMBP heat since it was my big deciding factor between it and the air. I think Apple chose to run the fans low and less often in order to maintain the "silent running" image along with the long battery life. Very solid selling points, and usually people kind of take heat in stride when it comes to laptops. I strangely never hear much emphasis on it in reviews. I however very much hate sweaty palms and cooking my balls off, and like to run my screen nice and bright while doing "intense" work compiling code-- its a goddamn pro with a fast processor after all, that's what it's designed for!

But straddling the line between the regular Pro and the air, and providing this ludicrously gorgeous screen, comes with that huge loving heat cost. I bought a Logitech lapdesk but that thing is too large and honestly sort of destroys the point of ease and portability. So I'd like to thank whoever it was that linked to Macs Fan Control because it is a beautiful thing and mitigates the gently caress out of the heat. Yes it means fans run louder and more often. Yes it means less battery life. But when I'm sitting down to do some serious work for an hour or two, I'm probably near an outlet so I can power those fans, and I don't really give too much of a poo poo about the fans when I'm asking it to do a lot for me.

Then when I'm out and about and doing random life poo poo, I don't use it long and hard (heh) enough for it to get too uncomfortably hot so it's all good.

So I guess I'm just throwing in my lot to say I love my rMBP. For what it does (bringing insane resolution to the table) I think the concessions (understandable hardware limitations of powering that fuckin screen) are acceptable. That said, I do hope the Haswell line runs cooler. Really really hope.

edit2: also to further hammer in my point about Apple running the fans low, my Air often made more noise than my rMBP (when not running fan control), so even though my Air was cooler, it was often consuming all that battery and making all that noise to do so. With fan control on, my rMBP makes that same level of noise as the Air and is now as cool as the Air. Of course at the cost of the rMBP's lauded battery life. Which essentially makes this an Air with a gorgeous screen, faster processor, and more ports.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

I think I had that problem after 'upgrading' to mountain lion, but a fresh install of it fixed that issue.

Or was it disabling and reenabling file vault :v: