Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zettace posted:

Armin's head being conveniently in the way of the "torso" and all the camera angles hiding the torso area was an obvious sign for me. But the actual confirmation is the final cut where we can see the entire picture. His legs are obviously gone and he looks way shorter than normal.

That's what that scene is supposed to convey. If they understood that much then the scene did it's job.
It wasn't just supposed to convey he was badly injured, possibly missing a limb. It was supposed to convey that he was obviously dead, and Hannah's attempts to resuscitate him were unambiguously desperate mad denial.

Popo posted:

Did nobody see this shot?
Pretty clear what happened.
That shot is the opposite of clear. It is something that you can study and realize there might be a bit if leg amputation going on, but it does not effectively convey how hopelessly grievous the wound was.

It's a brief shot where it's possible to miss the fact that he's missing anything at all. Evidence: People in this topic and elsewhere who have actually missed that fact.

Again, it's possible to infer what's going on, and if you did, good job. All is well. But a non-negligible number of people missed it entirely.

I'm not clamoring for explicit bloody gore, but in this instance... it just wasn't clear what had happened. And that lack of clarity changed the meaning of the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Denim Avenger posted:

The careful cropped shots hinting at what was wrong, the characters reactions, it all seemed way more effective than some gory shock shot of the character as just a torso.

It's not "subtle, slow build up" or "gory shock shot"; the "careful, cropped shots" are in the manga. The scene in the anime is lifted almost exactly from there, just missing the final reveal. See here, here, here. I thought it weakened the scene, but I went into it expecting that reveal. It threw me off when I realised it wasn't coming; kind of like when you try to climb one more step than there is on the stairs.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I very much prefer the Anime's take on the scene. To me it was pretty clear that he was dead. I don't need a gratuitous image like that to hammer that point in my head. Honestly the scene in the manga would have taken me out of my immersion with how forced and unsubtle that would have been.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Stall_19 posted:

I very much prefer the Anime's take on the scene. To me it was pretty clear that he was dead. I don't need a gratuitous image like that to hammer that point in my head. Honestly the scene in the manga would have taken me out of my immersion with how forced and unsubtle that would have been.

I know what you mean, but a scene like that isn't even supposed to be "immersive". It's a hosed up sight and these people don't get the luxury of subtlety in their lives.

Yeah, it looks unreal, but their entire situation is unreal.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 15, 2013

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

tiistai posted:

I know what you mean, but a scene like that isn't even supposed to be "immersive". It's a hosed up sight and these people don't get the luxury of subtlety in their lives.

Yeah, it looks unreal, but their entire situation is unreal.

Well when I saw that that panel from the manga my first thought was that was pretty dumb. I stop thinking in the context of the story and start thinking about it in the context of the person who wrote the scene.

While in the Anime is was pretty clear from just Armir's reaction alone that he was dead. I took the scene as the girl was in shock when I believe was what they wanted to convey. I consider the scene an improvement from the manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stall_19 posted:

Well when I saw that that panel from the manga my first thought was that was pretty dumb. I stop thinking in the context of the story and start thinking about it in the context of the person who wrote the scene.
Wow you should stop doing that, how do you enjoy anything?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I think, regardless of how well executed or not you think the manga does it, that there's a big difference between shocked, and insane, broken desperation. Yeah, it's obvious he's dead. It's not nearly as obvious just how badly that death broke her. Like seriously no one is doubting that the subtle shots are clear about his death and whatever.

E: also I have no idea how a person being eaten in half is unrealistic within the context of the story :psyduck:

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Well if I see something I view as really dumb it takes me out of the context of the story. That was one of those things for me. Nothing in the Anime version of that episode took me out of the context of the story so I consider it a great improvement for the one scene at least. I got what the scene was trying to convey without feeling like the writer was metaphorically screaming at me. For the me the phrase "Less is more" applies here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Stall_19 posted:

Well if I see something I view as really dumb it takes me out of the context of the story.

How is it "really dumb"? It's gruesome, but so is the situation.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Stall_19 posted:

Well if I see something I view as really dumb it takes me out of the context of the story. That was one of those things for me. Nothing in the Anime version of that episode took me out of the context of the story so I consider it a great improvement for the one scene at least. I got what the scene was trying to convey without feeling like the writer was metaphorically screaming at me. For the me the phrase "Less is more" applies here.

I disagree. Considering what the scene is about, I find "less is more" fails the scene hard. While it's pretty obvious that he's dead after a little while, it doesn't really do much to show how desperate and insane she is as it stands.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I disagree. Considering what the scene is about, I find "less is more" fails the scene hard. While it's pretty obvious that he's dead after a little while, it doesn't really do much to show how desperate and insane she is as it stands.

It does to me. To me he was completely obviously dead from the amount of blood and Armir's reaction. I got that she was very out of touch with reality at that moment. They did great work with the facial expressions. I roll my eyes when I feel like the author is trying to hammer it into my skull screaming "LOOK HOW BATSHIT INSANE SHE IS!" The scene in the manga overdid in my mind.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rexides posted:

If you ask me, I think that the whole trying to resuscitate a torso was just going for cheap shocks. It might have carried some weight if we cared about the characters, but for me it worked better when it seemed to the viewer that there was still a chance for him. When I saw the manga page, I thought that it was the stupidest thing ever. I might have enjoyed it in Valvrave though.

I thought they did a pretty good job at conveying those two were in love prior to that scene, which is the crux of the drama not the viewer's attachment to those specific characters.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Stall_19 posted:

Yeah, I understood as much. It does hit hard exactly because it's a scene that few people in the world could ever relate to. It looks foreign and implausible, so the brain realizes/remembers/reminds itself that it's not actually real and the immersion breaks. The weird thing is that showing exactly what Armin saw through his own eyes should actually be more "immersive" than just observing from the audience like in the anime, so to speak.

god i wish studying neurology was easier :pseudo:

SC Bracer posted:

E: also I have no idea how a person being eaten in half is unrealistic within the context of the story :psyduck:

Is this in response to what I said? Maybe it was a bad choice of words, but I didn't mean unrealistic within the context at all, more like... "oh my god this can't be happening" kind of unreal.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

tiistai posted:

Is this in response to what I said? Maybe it was a bad choice of words, but I didn't mean unrealistic within the context at all, more like... "oh my god this can't be happening" kind of unreal.

My bad; I was referring to the guy you quoted. I agree with you entirely, but the idea that somehow shadowy angles is more immersive than seeing what Armin does doesn't really work for me, and it definitely isn't unrealistic considering what we know of the setting.
I do agree with you though, and that's another reason why I think the shock scene delivers the connotations of that scene better even if it isn't subtle about what it shows visually.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Gyges posted:

I thought they did a pretty good job at conveying those two were in love prior to that scene, which is the crux of the drama not the viewer's attachment to those specific characters.

A crying girl holding her boyfriend's dead body in her arms is drama. A girl doing CPR on her boyfriend's torso is stupid.

It's a very subjective thing, I guess, but the scene had more impact on me when I thought that she was still holding hope, instead of going nuts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rexides posted:

A crying girl holding her boyfriend's dead body in her arms is drama. A girl doing CPR on her boyfriend's torso is stupid.

It's a stupid thing to do, but people do stupid things.
I have no trouble believing that ordinarily rational people would lose judgement in extreme life-or-death circumstances.
I know plenty of people who have a difficult enough time staying rational in their day-to-day lives.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Oh yeah, I am not saying that it's unrealistic or that it couldn't happen in real life (in fact there was a thread in PYF some years ago that featured a story with a similar reaction). I am just saying that it's stupid. A person dying is tragic, we can all agree here. For fictional characters that don't even have enough screentime to get invested in we need other characters to react to their deaths, but crying and wailing is enough to convey the emotions. Titans are huge assholes who run like retards and devour your hopes and dreams, we get that. What exactly did that scene add to how hosed up the situation is that hasn't been told already? It was just shock value. If anything it downplayed the direness of the situation because it was trying so hard to shock you.

That said, if it was just a few seconds between cuts of people reacting to the death and carnage around them in various ways I would have zero problems with it. But the author was dead serious that this is what the reader needed to get into the spirit of Get-Eaten-By-Titans-Land, which I found stupid.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really think the entire beginning of that episode should have been replaced with such a montage. It would have done a much better job conveying the whole "welp, we're hosed" sense of the situation than just following Armin around.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rexides posted:

Oh yeah, I am not saying that it's unrealistic or that it couldn't happen in real life (in fact there was a thread in PYF some years ago that featured a story with a similar reaction). I am just saying that it's stupid. A person dying is tragic, we can all agree here. For fictional characters that don't even have enough screentime to get invested in we need other characters to react to their deaths, but crying and wailing is enough to convey the emotions. Titans are huge assholes who run like retards and devour your hopes and dreams, we get that. What exactly did that scene add to how hosed up the situation is that hasn't been told already? It was just shock value. If anything it downplayed the direness of the situation because it was trying so hard to shock you.

That said, if it was just a few seconds between cuts of people reacting to the death and carnage around them in various ways I would have zero problems with it. But the author was dead serious that this is what the reader needed to get into the spirit of Get-Eaten-By-Titans-Land, which I found stupid.

It gives a foil to compare to. Fresh cadets out of the academy talk about how they're gonna protect each other and gently caress up some titans turn into reality rejecting ball of emotion as soon as their boyfriend dies. Guess what other couple had the boyfriend get his legs chomped on, die and talked about protecting each other?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Then again, there is some deliberate choice in keeping the viewpoint limited to a few specific characters view. I don't think we are supposed to get a clear view of the overall situation, just implied (how well the show pulls it off is another matter).

And come on, as a non manga reader that sudden censorship was pretty random - we regularly see Titans chomp loving limbs off, but to see it after the fact is too much? :psyduck:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Invictus posted:

I do that all the time, except it doesn't stop me from enjoying the narrative and I would probably phrase it as "why did the story do this" rather than "why did the author do this."

I also think the way the manga did the scene is vastly superior. This is war, it should be shocking to the point of dissociation. Fortunately it looks very much like they darkened that shot for censorship purposes and it'll probably come out clearer in the disk release.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rexides posted:

What exactly did that scene add to how hosed up the situation is that hasn't been told already? It was just shock value. If anything it downplayed the direness of the situation because it was trying so hard to shock you.

Yeah, and while we're at it, that scene at the beginning where Eren's mom gets eaten... did we really need to see that to understand that titans are a big deal? I mean, we could have just seen a few scared people and gotten the gist of the situation. The moment I realized the author was trying to shock me with the gruesome death of the main character's mother, and that just took me right out of it. How am I supposed to accept an event as real when clearly the author is just trying to shock me?

Sorry about the sarcasm, but really, everything about this story is visceral shock being used to create an atmosphere. Showing gruesome things can be a cheap ploy to illicit a reaction... or it can be used to good effect to create a horrific atmosphere. I get that that's pretty much all just subjective nuance, but Attack on Titan is pretty effectively doing the latter in my mind.

lonephoenix
Apr 19, 2013

Stuck in a dream nightmare

UP AND ADAM posted:

Doesn't it still lose something by not being readily visually apparent? I didn't notice it until I saw the manga page, either. I probably could have been paying closer attention, but they could have made it more gruesome without being unreasonably so.

You are definitely right to some extent, but as someone mentioned previously, the subtleties of this medium let's us infer that. By having us infer it, I feel that it adds a strong layer of emotion to the scene, and reinforces their goal with the scene overall. It's more atmospheric, which is a massive bonus point in my eyes.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
I forced my roommate to watch the series so far. They were whining about not wanting to, that it sounded dumb, etc. By the end of episode 5 my roommate was upset that I had the gall to go to the bathroom before starting episode 6. They were then upset that it was only six episodes so far. The last time they were this interested in a series was when Madoka came out. To think, for the first half of episode one they wouldn't shut up about hating the art-style. Can't wait for episode 7.

I ordered the first 4 english volumes of the manga last week. For a series like this that I'm enjoying so much and has a slow enough release schedule, I don't mind buying and even prefer it to reading online unless it were a series like Naruto or any of those other series that comes out weekly and already has 60+ volumes.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One of the things people keep bringing up as one of this show's strongest points is how characters act in a way that is rational even in times of stress. Can we at least agree that giving CPR to a torso goes against that? Because I frankly think it makes the scene worse, given we've already had Armin going into shock after episode 5 conveying the same effect much more effectively.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think a better way of putting it is that they act understandably given their individual personalities and the current context.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

lonephoenix posted:

You are definitely right to some extent, but as someone mentioned previously, the subtleties of this medium let's us infer that. By having us infer it, I feel that it adds a strong layer of emotion to the scene, and reinforces their goal with the scene overall. It's more atmospheric, which is a massive bonus point in my eyes.

I do agree that the manga depiction was too blatant. I think something in between the two takes on the scene may have worked better? I don't have any ideas for something subtle but as horrifying as showing someone cleft in two, but this shot (http://i.imgur.com/vNa221O.png) is still too muddled, for me personally.

TK-31 posted:

One of the things people keep bringing up as one of this show's strongest points is how characters act in a way that is rational even in times of stress. Can we at least agree that giving CPR to a torso goes against that? Because I frankly think it makes the scene worse, given we've already had Armin going into shock after episode 5 conveying the same effect much more effectively.

Not knowing where the story will go, I have a feeling that bleakness and audacious behavior in the face of said bleakness will come up again and again.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

TK-31 posted:

Cue any war movie ever where someone desperately tries to resucitate a clearly dead person. Shocked people do not act rationally.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Affi posted:

Cue any war movie ever where someone desperately tries to resucitate a clearly dead person. Shocked people do not act rationally.

To add to this, all of these guys are still effectively trainees/rookies. This is their introduction to the hell that is war.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

TK-31 posted:

One of the things people keep bringing up as one of this show's strongest points is how characters act in a way that is rational even in times of stress.
When people said this they meant things like Ep 1 where Hannes runs away from the Titan a saves the kids instead of getting himself killed by heroic sacrifice. It's more that people act believably toward a situation than most shonen series. Hannes runs away, Eren's mum calls for them to stay in her final moments instead of acting oddly stoic, Jean argues with Eren and is jealous due to Misaka but doesn't take it to "You are my rival, grr" levels. Characters can still act irrationally and stupidly but not in ways that don't make sense and are only to facilitate the plot.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I don't find going crazy in war zones to be particularly unbelievable, especially compared to most things in anime. I don't get how you can complain about that when we have these ridiculous mustache-twirling evil caricatures that represent the elite in their society.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

I think a better way of putting it is that they act understandably given their individual personalities and the current context.
This is a good way of putting it. They aren't beep-boop rational robots, they're understandable humans, doing the crazy things actual humans do, not the crazy things plot and drama would have them do.

Mercrom posted:

I don't find going crazy in war zones to be particularly unbelievable, especially compared to most things in anime. I don't get how you can complain about that when we have these ridiculous mustache-twirling evil caricatures that represent the elite in their society.
For the record they're twirling their mustaches a bit more fastidiously in the anime. The rear end in a top hat noble playing chess with Pixis a while back was all anime original, and a bit over the top in my view. The dude this episode was just the same in the manga though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Also, specifically about this scene (girl resuscitation dead guy), those two were shown to be really close as a couple, maybe even sneak-into-each-others'-room-at-night close. So it makes perfect sense to me that she would lose her head a bit when the person she cares most for in the world is lying there dead. Her denial is understandable.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's a stupid thing to do, but people do stupid things.
I have no trouble believing that ordinarily rational people would lose judgement in extreme life-or-death circumstances.
I know plenty of people who have a difficult enough time staying rational in their day-to-day lives.

Shock will rob people of rational thought easily. If you think somebody doing CPR on half a body is stupid you should realize that one of the more common reactions in dismemberment death is for loved ones to try and put people back together like they're a jigsaw puzzle that will pop back together and stand up.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Schwarz said pretty much the same as you. You sure you quoted the right person?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mindblast posted:

Schwarz said pretty much the same as you. You sure you quoted the right person?

No I'm agreeing with him. The you is a general you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't wait for the next episode both because it will stop this kinda played out discussion, and I don't think I would be lying if I said this coming episode is the one I have looked forward to the most. :unsmigghh:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 16, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I assumed that 7 was going to be pretty important based on how the last 2 episodes have played out, but you just confirmed that.

TOO MUCH HYPE DAMMIT.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's not just about content. From the amount of stills and clearly-skimped animation, I have a suspicion that they are saving up to do the next few eps in style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
So far, this really seems like a story that was meant for an animated format. I mean yeah, the comic is good, but the pacing is so breakneck that it's easy to lose track of events (or characters, especially considering how identical some of them look in black and white). Here, the heavy emphasis on dramatic moments, and the amount of build-up make moments like Eren getting loving chomped much more effective.

• Locked thread