Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So Starship Damrey: it's very short (a bit less than 3 hours) and honestly not very difficult. Still, I feel like I got my money's worth for $8. Plus there's a bit of post-game content that currently has me stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
For those wondering if the 50%-off deal for SMB2 is applied to the $1 upgrade fee, it isn't. You should buy both SMW and SMB2 anyway because they are Good Games, and to show Nintendo you actually support the idea of digital distribution sales as an incentive to buy more games. But mostly because they're Good Games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Next week's Wii U VC games: Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby's Dream Course!

JP recently did a "buy two, get the third free" Kirby promotion, so I imagine (hope) the rest of the world will get the same thing.

katkillad2 posted:

Also if/when someone plays it I wouldn't mind hearing impressions of Swords & Soldiers 3D.

Based on what I'm reading it's a really terrible port.

Artix posted:

So just a heads up, Swords and Soldiers 3D is only $7.99, not $9.99. Also, Bowling Bananza is $5.99 for the sake of completeness.

E: Also, it's only Future Past #2 this week.

Cheers for this, the PR company that does NOA's press releases is hopeless.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Cheers for this, the PR company that does NOA's press releases is hopeless.
I thought that was you.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

For anyone with a Japanese 3DS, Level 5 will be holding a 15th anniversary sale starting on the 29th, and their entire digital catalogue (excluding Layton vs. Ace Attorney, because it's a collaboration with Capcom) will be %50 off. There are some PSN and iOS games on the list, but most are on the eShop. Details are currently on their front page at http://www.level5.co.jp.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the eShop-related news from the last Nintendo Direct:

-New Super Luigi U (NSMBU DLC expansion) will be out on June 13 in NA and June 20 in PAL-land; NA price is $19.99. There's also a standalone version coming to retail in July for $29.99.

-The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons will be discounted for the first few weeks after release; standard price is $5.99, discounted price is $4.99.

-The NA Direct showed a list of Game Gear games scheduled for release on the 3DS VC at some unspecified point in the future (including games that were supposed to have been released a year ago). Games include:

Columns
Crystal Warriors
Defenders of Oasis
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
G-LOC: Air Battles
Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya
Sonic Blast
Sonic Drift 2
Sonic Labyrinth
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Tails Adventure
Vampire: Master of Darkness

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
As someone who grew up with a Gameboy, are any of those worth being excited about? I heard good things about Shining Force II.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh boy, Sonic Labyrinth.

A game where sonic loses his ability to go fast :geno:

I'll definitely grab Shining Force II, though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The Machine posted:

As someone who grew up with a Gameboy, are any of those worth being excited about? I heard good things about Shining Force II.

That version of Shining Force 2 actually isn't the original, it's a spin-off in the same universe that takes place after the first game. It's still fantastic, but there's less exploration and more of a focus on battles.

On that list, I'd say:

Defenders of Oasis
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya
Sonic Drift 2
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Tails Adventure

Are worth checking out, but I also might just have blind nostalgia for Sonic Drift 2 and Tails Adventure. :shobon:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Tails Adventure and Shinobi GG (currently on eshop) are both cool.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya is kind of like Fire Emblem, but really simplified. There's no permanent death penalty so you can be wreckless if you want.

I preferred it to the Genesis games because the battles were more fun than the generic RPG town stuff.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya is kind of like Fire Emblem, but really simplified. There's no permanent death penalty so you can be wreckless if you want.

I preferred it to the Genesis games because the battles were more fun than the generic RPG town stuff.

The thing about Sword of Hajya is that it's actually the second of two main episodes from Shining Force CD. For whatever reason, they never remade the first episode for the Game Gear. They also changed a few things in Hajya, including the locations of the hidden characters and swapping the damage and maybe the ranges on level 3 and 4 spells (making Freeze 3 ludicrously strong in Hajya). Still, it's a fun little title and I look forward to playing it again on my 3DS whenever they get around to releasing it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can't go wrong with either Columns or Bean Machine if you want a falling-block puzzle game (and unlike Game Boy VC games, Game Gear games emulate the link cable!)

Shining Force II is definitely worth checking out - it doesn't have the RPG-esque stuff like the main games, it goes from one battle to the next with stores in between like Fire Emblem - but it's still cool.

Vampire: Master of Darkness is a really blatant Castlevania clone, but it's still better than the real CV games released for Game Boy.

Tails' Adventure is kinda like a cross between Quackshot and Gargoyle's Quest, I guess? Side-scrolling level-based adventure game with upgrades, backtracking, etc. It's nothing like the other 8-bit Sonic games, which are mostly terrible.

Crystal Warriors and Defenders of Oasis are both RPGs; Crystal Defenders is another Fire Emblem/Shining Force-style SRPG, and Defenders of Oasis is an Arabian-themed JRPG. There's nothing hugely remarkable about either of them but I guess you could do worse for $5.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The thing about Sword of Hajya is that it's actually the second of two main episodes from Shining Force CD. For whatever reason, they never remade the first episode for the Game Gear.

Other way around - the Game Gear games were the originals, SFCD was the remake. There are three Game Gear games but only the second got an English release.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Other way around - the Game Gear games were the originals, SFCD was the remake. There are three Game Gear games but only the second got an English release.

Oh really? I've been getting that backwards all this time. Thanks for the correction.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

-The NA Direct showed a list of Game Gear games scheduled for release on the 3DS VC at some unspecified point in the future

Soo... Never?

I mean, unless they're putting their foot down and are actually planning to put the neglected Game Gear games out. I mean its been a year since they announced Sonic Blast/Labyrinth so maybe they'll actually get around to releasing them.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Is current Club Nintendo reward game Art Style: Aquia any good?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
That is some seriously expensive DLC for Mario :stare: What on earth is in it?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It's kind of a level pack, there's apparently over 80 levels in it.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm not saying it is overpriced, but $15 was probably the absolute maximum I would've been willing to spend on it (for $10 feeling much more comfortable as an impulse buy). I can understand why it's priced at $20 because of the apparently huge amount of content, but I'll probably sit it out.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
It's sort of like Episodes from Liberty City for GTA4. Same assets, different levels. Plus it has the thief Nabbit as an invincible multiplayer charcter, who can't power up but none the less can steal other players' items. It's bound to have other new stuff. Maybe the last boss this time will be weegee.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It's basically the whole drat game re-done with Luigi. Redesigned levels, different Luigi running/jumping physics, and (apparently) multiplayer.

20 bucks is pretty reasonable considering it's basically an entirely new game!

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Silver Falcon posted:

It's basically the whole drat game re-done with Luigi. Redesigned levels, different Luigi running/jumping physics, and (apparently) multiplayer.

20 bucks is pretty reasonable considering it's basically an entirely new game!

I'm sure it's "reasonable" but it's not particularly appealing

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Rather than thinking of it as DLC, if you think of New Super Luigi U as an expansion pack, the $20 price point doesn't seem as bad. It's got an absolute ton of new content, so $20 isn't a terrible price point, it just seems really expensive because DLC normally isn't any more than 10 or 15 dollars.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Rather than thinking of it as DLC, if you think of New Super Luigi U as an expansion pack, the $20 price point doesn't seem as bad. It's got an absolute ton of new content, so $20 isn't a terrible price point, it just seems really expensive because DLC normally isn't any more than 10 or 15 dollars.

Right. They could have chosen to sell this to us in separate pieces rather than in one goo like other publishers do. It seems like it has way more content than your standard $10 AAA game dlc pack. I'm quite fine with the price point.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's as much new content as the entire original game had, priced as an expansion pack. Because it is an expansion pack, which is exactly the same kind of thing as DLC.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Would you guys say it's the Galaxy 2 to NSMBU's Galaxy? Or is that going a bit too far?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Looper posted:

Would you guys say it's the Galaxy 2 to NSMBU's Galaxy? Or is that going a bit too far?

Way too far

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Looper posted:

Hopefully it's like an easier Lost Levels to Super Mario Bros 1. (and not like the NSMB2 to NSMB)

GueroDeEncanta
Jan 28, 2005

I have a question! I checked the faq, the first few pages, and last few pages and didn't see it so forgive me if it's already been answered. When do games usually go live in the 3DS eShop? I've got a 9AM flight on the 30th, and I'd love to get the Zeldas before I hop on the plane.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Retail games usually go up at midnight, everything else at 9 AM PST.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Bought SMB2 on sale despite the fact that I own the All Star & GBA version. I don't even really like the game, but hey, it's on sale. I also bought Kirby's Adventure for 30 cents and the 3D classics version when it was on sale.

...and I own Kirby's dream collection

What is wrong with me? :negative:

I hardly bought any Wii VC titles. Nintendo needs to have more eShop sales. Idiots like me will keep buying the same game if it's on sale.

Also bought Runner 2 on sale (see Nintendo!) & loving it. Never played the first, I've only played Bit Trip Beat & Void. It's probably cheaper to buy the collections than each individual game now.

Are there any differences between the Wii & 3DS collections? I see the 3DS version is discounted on the eShop. I imagine the games look great with 3D, but how do they control?

Basically what version should I get?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Palmtree Panic posted:

Also bought Runner 2 on sale (see Nintendo!) & loving it. Never played the first, I've only played Bit Trip Beat & Void. It's probably cheaper to buy the collections than each individual game now.

Are there any differences between the Wii & 3DS collections? I see the 3DS version is discounted on the eShop. I imagine the games look great with 3D, but how do they control?

Basically what version should I get?

Wii version is great, they added difficulty levels so you could tone the games down a bit (or ramp it up :getin:) in terms of what's required to pass a level, along with challenge modes for each of the games and unlockable art and so on. It also comes with a CD featuring most of the music (not the guest artist tracks that they use for the title screens and credits, though).

3DS collection is barebones, you get the games in 3D and that's it (I forget if they have the difficulty level select or not) and it runs kinda choppy with the 3D on. It's great if you want all the games portable though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Palmtree Panic posted:

I hardly bought any Wii VC titles. Nintendo needs to have more eShop sales. Idiots like me will keep buying the same game if it's on sale.

Next week is Kirby week (Dream Course, Superstar, Dream Land 3), so they'll probably be doing the same buy-2-get-3 promo as they did in Japan. I'm sure a lot of it is experimentation at this point, but I hope it continues.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Supercar Gautier posted:

Next week is Kirby week (Dream Course, Superstar, Dream Land 3), so they'll probably be doing the same buy-2-get-3 promo as they did in Japan. I'm sure a lot of it is experimentation at this point, but I hope it continues.

Naturally, we get Super Star instead of SFC Star Stacker, though that's not a bad thing in the least.

Would be nice to see SFC Star Stacker in the future though, can't imagine it needs any translation really.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of May 23):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - €49.99 / £39.99
    Resident Evil Revelations - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby's Dream Course (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
    Kirby Super Star (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    30% off Kirby Super Star/Dream Course if you own Kirby's Adventure! (Wii U VC) - €5.59 / £3.79 until May 30
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £8.00 until May 30
    Super Metroid (SNES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until June 14

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (May 24) - €39.99 / £34.99
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - €19.99 / £17.99
    Project X Zone (demo - "A Lethal Surprise")
    Rabbids Rumble (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Swords & Soldiers 3D - €7.00 / £5.90
    Air Battle Hockey 3D - €4.99 / £4.49
    Groove Heaven - €3.99 / £3.59
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave (3DS eShop) - €6.39 / £5.69 from May 23-30
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Planet Crashers (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until May 30

Wii U dudes, note the Kirby promotion - if you own Kirby's Adventure on NES you can get the two Kirby SNES games at a reduced price. (Yes, they're the US versions, hence no "Fun Pak".)

3DS dudes, note the Denpa Men sale - the (much improved) sequel is out next week and it lets you transfer your save data from the first game, so if you were ever interested in picking it up, now seems like a good time.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Shantae on June 20th!

WayForward posted:

The original Shantae, oft referred to as the Game Boy Color's "swan song" will be belly dancing her way onto Virtual Console soon. Just take a gander at that shiny new box art! This beloved bit of gaming history was previously only available in North America. Not this time! Shantae will be making appearances in North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand; wherever good times are had. Unfortunately we will not be able to announce a specific release date (June 20th) at this time. Check back angrily and often at https://www.wayforward.com to discover the Shantae's secret release date (that's June 20th) in the days and weeks ahead. See you on June 20th!

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

I never got to play the original Shantae legally so that's great news. Pity we don't know the release date though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some more dates:

-Spelunker (NES) will be out on the Wii U VC on May 30

-Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Capcom beat-em-up compilation) will be out on the Wii U eShop on June 18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

What is this? Is it just port of the Wii version?