Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Final chapter of the blown up AX5.

kastein posted:

wasted #4 synchro

if I didn't suck at taking pictures, you could see the damage from chunks of synchro clutch key being jammed into the inside of the trans housing. The web from the countershaft bearing journal to the outer case and the boss that the reverse idler gearshaft sits in are where the damage is.

kastein posted:

Final verdict:

Output shaft is toast as I thought. Most other parts are in passable to good condition, aside from anything I already said was hosed.

e: to be clear, the flange about 1/4 from the left end of part #14 in this diagram is the one that's cracked in those pictures, taken from the left end:

e2: I am fairly certain after looking at things that I know what happened.

1. synchros wore out. They're all trashed. Probably due to age, careless driving, bad maintenance (running mud as trans lube), etc.
2. shift forks are slightly worn.
3. between 1. and 2. I believe the shift collar for gears #3/#4 (part 11 in the diagram) was able to slide far enough over that the #3/#4 synchro clutch keys (part 10, seen previously in multiple pieces in the pictures) were able to pop out.
4. at least one synchro clutch key made its way thence into the #3 gears (the ones pictured with chunks taken out of the teeth, part 12 in the diagram) resulting in a little bit of smashing/mashing.
5. shock forces from the #3 gearset inhaling a synchro clutch key (aka loving block of steel) force it against the flange its hydrodynamic bearing rides against on the mainshaft (part 14) and crack two chunks off of it.
6. fin (all damage explained :toot:)
7. it's difficult to get the transmission into 2nd gear when the hydrodynamic bearing it thrusts against is 1. missing about 2/3 of its surface 2. galled to poo poo 3. there is very little left of the synchro rings where the synchro clutch keys ride on them.

I found one of the #3 counter gear teeth in the bottom of the trans casing and in general this explains all the damage I found. The only piece of broken hardware I'm missing that's over about 3mm is half of one of the #3/#4 synchro clutch keys, it must have gotten chewed up pretty good.

Total hosed parts list:
synchros 1-4
mainshaft
input bearing
countershaft midplate bearing
#3 gearset
countershaft (only #3 counter gear is hosed, but it's all one forging)
3-4 synchro clutch keys
front transmission housing is technically damaged, but the damage is not in important areas
rear output seal
front input seal
shift tower
shift lever ball
second gear mainshaft bearing
second gear (would reuse if on a budget)
third gear
mainshaft midplate bearing
both 1-2 and 3-4 shift forks

All due to lack of PM and possibly abusive driving, guessing by the tufts of clutch material on the inside of the bellhousing.

e: buying parts to repair it at the dealer would have cost $1548.51, morris4x4/quadratec $1107.82, or using parts scavenged from my spare AX4 plus the one part I didn't have would be $323.40 dealer or $234.99 quadratec. Given the fact that it saved a number of hours rebuilding the tranny, a $650 AX5 wasn't actually the worst idea.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have kitted out my cars for years with portable trolley jacks.

I have one in the trunk of the '66 Bonneville because the factory jack is a bumper jack and aside from me not trusting it, it wil mar the finish on the bumper. Never had a problem with them.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

This is my emergency jack.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

You should totally get four of those spares and try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

I would but I traded it for a CTS-V :(

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

c355n4 posted:

This is my emergency jack.

Do they come out on trails in the middle of BFE? (be more self-reliant, or less :smug:)

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I had the lovely scissor jack from my old Monte Carlo collapse once. It didn't just roll off, the lovely stamped steel simply failed and let the car fall. Thankfully it happened in the driveway and I had the wheel under the car. Borrowed a neighbors floor jack that day and went and got my own not long after.

Now I carry a good jack as well as a duffle bag full of enough tools and emergency supplies to either get me back on the road for minor things or keep me comfortable for a night if I'm stranded. Still a boy scout at heart.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I have to carry a chunk of permapine sleeper in the cruiser now because the factory toyota jack cant get the front tyres off the ground any more- The only place to jack it up is either the chassis behind the front wheels or on the knuckle of the lower control arm, and with the 33" tyres and the 2" lift it wont clear off the ground

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

I have to carry a chunk of permapine sleeper in the cruiser now because the factory toyota jack cant get the front tyres off the ground any more- The only place to jack it up is either the chassis behind the front wheels or on the knuckle of the lower control arm, and with the 33" tyres and the 2" lift it wont clear off the ground

I've addressed issues like that before by digging a hole under the wheel after it's jacked up but that can't be done everywhere and it's a crap solution.

I don't know. Maybe a suicide jack would be less horrible if it had fold out locking legs or something to give it more stability. Especially those nuts ones with the circular bar.

Whoever posted that half scissor jack, I'm sure I encountered one of those before. While the physics is probably sound I don't trust that sort of thing at all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PainterofCrap posted:

I have one in the trunk of the '66 Bonneville because the factory jack is a bumper jack and aside from me not trusting it, it wil mar the finish on the bumper. Never had a problem with them.

I got one of these for my Ford Escape after discovering that the jack points were in the most inconvenient spot humanly imaginable. Directly behind the wheel.

Now that picture makes it look better than it really is. The jack point is only about 5cm behind the wheel and, given the wheel well's shape, it means the only way you can jack up an Escape's rear wheel with the factory jack - if you want to be able to see what you're doing - is to lie down on your goddamn stomach at the rear of the vehicle and slide it under the car.

Then you need to start jacking up the car while lying on your stomach partly under the vehicle because the handle on the jack is so short. If you use the factory supplied jack, there is just no way to jack the car without part of you under it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Gorilla Salad posted:

I got one of these for my Ford Escape after discovering that the jack points were in the most inconvenient spot humanly imaginable. Directly behind the wheel.

Now that picture makes it look better than it really is. The jack point is only about 5cm behind the wheel and, given the wheel well's shape, it means the only way you can jack up an Escape's rear wheel with the factory jack - if you want to be able to see what you're doing - is to lie down on your goddamn stomach at the rear of the vehicle and slide it under the car.

Then you need to start jacking up the car while lying on your stomach partly under the vehicle because the handle on the jack is so short. If you use the factory supplied jack, there is just no way to jack the car without part of you under it.

Eh, that's not that bad, thing is you're jacking on the control arm so the wheel lifts up fairly quickly, as opposed to lifting the body and getting ~8 inches of droop before the tire clears the ground, and escapes sit pretty high so there's not really much danger underneath, especially with the wheel still on. Plus that's the kind of issue where a trolley jack would have the exact same issues.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ferremit posted:

Is strapping a hi-lift to your bumper not a thing with lifted FJs any more?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It still is, but my bullbars so crowded with poo poo now it wouldnt really fit. Plus deathjacks have a specific use and changing wheels is NOT a recomended one

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PainterofCrap posted:

That's the one I have, too.

Be aware that the very same jack is also sold in blue with a 1 ton rating. Don't trust the 2 ton rating.

Other than that, it's great for hobby use.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Cross-posting from the MS Paint Embarrassment thread:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would be excited to own whatever the hell that was.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Not to turn this into the tools thread, but does anyone sell a case like that with no jack in it? So I can use my existing trolley jack, of course. Bonus points if it holds both big rubber HF chocks.

To contribute to the actual thread, I use scissor jacks, they're great! As chocks, in a pinch.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

Splizwarf posted:

Not to turn this into the tools thread, but does anyone sell a case like that with no jack in it? So I can use my existing trolley jack, of course. Bonus points if it holds both big rubber HF chocks.

To contribute to the actual thread, I use scissor jacks, they're great! As chocks, in a pinch.

Pelican makes some sweet-rear end cases.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1780HL

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
Not mechanical, but a poor decision to leave fish guts in the back of your truck in Eagle country.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqOYACbFjI

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would be excited to own whatever the hell that was.

Funny you should mention, because it's ripe for an EJxx swap as it sits. It's a VW 412, one of the last of the ACVW's. The motor was due for an overhaul soon, I may do the swap this summer depending on how badly I cooked it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

NoWake posted:

Funny you should mention, because it's ripe for an EJxx swap as it sits. It's a VW 412, one of the last of the ACVW's. The motor was due for an overhaul soon, I may do the swap this summer depending on how badly I cooked it.

I was going to chip in and say it was a type 4, but nevermind. So that's yours? And it hasn't disappeared in a cloud of rust? You are truly lucky.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So am I the only one who's first experience jacking up a car was with one of these?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

So am I the only one who's first experience jacking up a car was with one of these?

That's a funny looking suicide jack. It appears to have a base larger than a jar lid and has some sort of gouging hook on it. What's it from?

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
I had a very similar jack in my 72 Dart. I can still feel the pain of pinching the meat between my thumb and finger every time the jack head would release from the ratchet and come flying down the pole.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Scissor jacks don't bother me, but I guess I'm also in that 1% that can correctly operate an ez-out.

Hi-Lift jacks can kiss my rear end though. Wonderfully useful tool for doing everything except being a lifting device for a car.

I don't have pics, but if you're creative with a Hi-Lift jack, straps and maybe a block or two and you can move some wacky stuff.
I remember as a kid watching a neighbor use one like a winch, four feet at a time, to rescue a pickup from a pond.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I must be that one lucky guy with the high lift, like CommieGIR and you are with ez-outs, because I've changed countless tires with mine and it's never fallen on me. I've removed the cabs from about 6 dodge trucks with it at the you-pull, too, and jacked up an F350 diesel until both wheels were off the ground using the stock front bumper (again at the you-pull.) That one I intentionally tipped it over though, because I'd just disconnected the front axle from the leaf springs and didn't feel like paying someone $30 to use the loader to lift the truck off of the axle I was after.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

My first experience with a Hi Lift was watching one come screaming down like a demented murdering boom gate when someones hands slipped off the handle during the lowering process.

Thing would have taken your loving head off

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

I'll attest to that. I have this one for my camera gear on the go. Expensive, but totally worth it if you need to make sure what's inside stays safe.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

That's a funny looking suicide jack. ...... What's it from?

Any American car made in the 70s or earlier. When they came with BUMPERS. Real bumpers you could jack the whole drat car up from.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Any American car made in the 70s or earlier. When they came with BUMPERS. Real bumpers you could jack the whole drat car up from.

Ja see my post above :/

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlternateAccount posted:

That's not a jack... this is a jack!

I've inherited one from my father, too. Also good for pulling out stumps.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Motronic posted:

First time I tried to take the tires off my '65 Deville I tried to use the factory suicide jack. Got it up a bit and then noticed the entire car swayed at the slightest touch. Went out and bought a trolley jack that day.

I do use scissor lifts in my garage, if it's a quick job where I have to pop a tire off and I'm just looking at something, not doing any work. Or tightening lugs or something. Otherwise, I will also use them as starters to get the car up high enough for a bottle or trolley to get under a better jacking point.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I learned about two things on the same day:

-The E36 factory jack is weird.
-E36 rockers can rust from the inside out.
I had a tire down so it only dropped about an inch, but my heart stopped.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jonny 290 posted:

-E36 rockers can rust from the inside out.

Same as the first couple of years of the pre-facelift Peugeot 406. Water can get in through the mounting holes for the kickplate and the lower door seal, and if the drain holes are blocked by dirt, water accumulates and rusts the gently caress out of everything. It takes upwards of 10 years to get really bad before you notice it, unless you happen to catch the sound of water sloshing around in the rockers. I've seen some real horrible pictures of cars that have never had anti-rust treatments. Mine's a later facelifted model, but I make drat sure to be on time with my anti-rust treatments every time now, and check those drat drains.

This was completely invisible from the outside, according to the guy who posted it:

As was this, on a different car:

No matter what you drive, check those drain holes!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Had to use a bottle jack for the first time in over a decade yesterday. Mom ran over a huge loving nail and managed to park on the only level patch of ground in the area, so all was good. :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

AlternateAccount posted:

Had one of those in my '70 Cutlass. Used it ONCE. Scared the crap out of me.
I found an awesome plus-size scissor jack kit in a '90s Suburban (I think. Definitely a Suburban) in the yard during the height of the Cash 4 Cars thing. That lives in the Cutlass' trunk now, replacing the small trolley jack I kept in there.

The scissor jack in my wife's Astro van was decent, too. I particularly liked the ratcheting jack/lug wrench handle. Should have kept that when I traded in the thing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
With s13's a lot of people jack the car up by the framerails because they are there, and flat, and easily visible, except they dent when you do that, even if they arent rusted. They are notoriously weak.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

AlternateAccount posted:

You're not alone. My mom drove 70's land barges during much of my youth. Those bumper jacks were a goddamn hazard unless you were on perfectly level ground and well chocked.

I remember being stranded once after moms 70-something Caprice got a flat and the hook on the jack tore a hole through the rust in the jack notch on the bumper. The whole car came crashing down violently right as she had the spare lined up with the lugs.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing that in the trunk of my Nova and laughing. I then proceeded to steal my dad's little bottle jack and tuck it next to the spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Scrolled down to this one and said, "Whoa" out loud. My three year old daughter looked up at the monitor and said, "Daddy, that bunny doesn't go there!" You are correct, daughter. You are correct.