Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Uhh, there are keyboard marks on my Air's screen and it looks like they're not coming off with wiping. The keys shouldn't reach the screen, no? I do carry it around but I don't put a ton of pressure on the lid. Anything else I could do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Uhh, there are keyboard marks on my Air's screen and it looks like they're not coming off with wiping. The keys shouldn't reach the screen, no? I do carry it around but I don't put a ton of pressure on the lid. Anything else I could do?
My Retina MBP is the same, the keys in the middle touch the screen if any pressure is applied to the lid when it's closed and leave marks. It's easy to clean off though: get some lens cleaning fluid and a microfibre cloth (anywhere that sells eyeglasses will have these), spray the fluid into the cloth and then gently rub the side of the cloth with the fluid on it on the screen where the marks are. The marks should come off after a few seconds of rubbing with the cloth and it'll look spiffy and brand new when you're done to boot. Probably also a good idea to wipe it off with a lint-free cloth after you're done to get rid of any extra stuff that might've settled on the screen while the cleaning fluid was on there.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Yesterday while connecting to my new rMBP 15" from work it went unresponsive. When I got home it was running, but there was nothing on the monitor, or the laptop screen. I force rebooted it and it ran through what I assume was some type of check disk with the apple logo and a grey bar on a grey background, kind of like system firmware updates.

This is in addition to a crash 2 days ago while in the character creation screen of Eve and an SMC reset due to graphic issues earlier this year.

My question is are there any types of logs I can look at to see whats going on? Should I just take it to the apple store? It runs fine when it's not doing something crazy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ Look at Console in /Applications/Utilities, it's got the system log and tons of others.

Eyeglass cleaner varies greatly in quality and residue. I've always gotten good results with either Antec 3X spray and Zeiss Optical Lens cleaner, both are around $10 a bottle but worth it. The Antec works pretty well on glass screens like MacBook Pros and iMacs, and is supposed to leave a fingerprint resistant coating. Definitely make sure to get an ammonia/alcohol free cleaner.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 16, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Thanks for the Console suggestion. There is definitely something weird going on. Leading up to the crash I started geting tons of low disk space warnings.

This is despite the fact that I've got 60GB free

Anyone have any ideas?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

~Coxy posted:

If you can live without a EFI boot screen then a PC Radeon 5870 is a cheap second hand drop in replacement.

Do the PC Radeon 5870s work in the 1,1 too? I don't care about the EFI boot screen at all, and have a spare 5870. I'm being gifted a Mac Pro1,1 soon and was looking at ways to spruce it up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You probably have some fancy pants app that has massive memory leak and eats all your RAMs

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Mercurius posted:

My Retina MBP is the same, the keys in the middle touch the screen if any pressure is applied to the lid when it's closed and leave marks. It's easy to clean off though: get some lens cleaning fluid and a microfibre cloth (anywhere that sells eyeglasses will have these), spray the fluid into the cloth and then gently rub the side of the cloth with the fluid on it on the screen where the marks are. The marks should come off after a few seconds of rubbing with the cloth and it'll look spiffy and brand new when you're done to boot. Probably also a good idea to wipe it off with a lint-free cloth after you're done to get rid of any extra stuff that might've settled on the screen while the cleaning fluid was on there.

I'll pick some up later. Thanks!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Thanks for the Console suggestion. There is definitely something weird going on. Leading up to the crash I started geting tons of low disk space warnings.

This is despite the fact that I've got 60GB free

Anyone have any ideas?

Unless I'm mistaken, the /tmp folder gets flushed on reboot. If you have a program that's logging or dumping a bunch of poo poo that might result in that.

That said, the fastest way to figure out if a program is actually sucking up your hard drive would be to run a cron job to dump the output of "df -h" every 5 minutes or so to a file (or have it write every 30 seconds and have it overwrite the previous contents of the file). Then just run your computer until the crash occurs, and then check the contents of your log to see what your actual disk usage is.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Speaking of sucking up the hard drive, I've noticed VMWare Fusion is really eating up my hard drive when I leave my Boot Camp VM running for a few days. It ate almost a hundred gigs, but fortunately returned them all when I shut the VM down. How do I stop it from doing that?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ Look at Console in /Applications/Utilities, it's got the system log and tons of others.

Eyeglass cleaner varies greatly in quality and residue. I've always gotten good results with either Antec 3X spray and Zeiss Optical Lens cleaner, both are around $10 a bottle but worth it. The Antec works pretty well on glass screens like MacBook Pros and iMacs, and is supposed to leave a fingerprint resistant coating. Definitely make sure to get an ammonia/alcohol free cleaner.
Yeah, the lenses in my glasses are Zeiss so they give me a bottle of cleaning fluid every time I get the prescription updated. That's what I use on my rMBP and it works a treat.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Speaking of sucking up the hard drive, I've noticed VMWare Fusion is really eating up my hard drive when I leave my Boot Camp VM running for a few days. It ate almost a hundred gigs, but fortunately returned them all when I shut the VM down. How do I stop it from doing that?
What are your VM's drive settings? I think I had something similar happen on my work machine with a small SSD and had the VM set to dynamic drive or whatever. The issue was that whatever Windows was doing, it was leading to the virtual drive expanding, and could only get cleaned up when the VM was off. I ended up just going with a fixed size drive to keep the size stable.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

japtor posted:

What are your VM's drive settings? I think I had something similar happen on my work machine with a small SSD and had the VM set to dynamic drive or whatever. The issue was that whatever Windows was doing, it was leading to the virtual drive expanding, and could only get cleaned up when the VM was off. I ended up just going with a fixed size drive to keep the size stable.

Yeah it's eating space on my SSD too. Good thing I sprung for the 300gb one.

It's a boot camp VM, it can't be configured. I'm not even sure where the option to change it would be.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Yeah it's eating space on my SSD too. Good thing I sprung for the 300gb one.

It's a boot camp VM, it can't be configured. I'm not even sure where the option to change it would be.
I guess check memory usage if it's not the drive itself (I assume it's static with a BC drive), it could be memory leaking/swap files bulding up if you're leaving it open that long.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SourKraut posted:

Do the PC Radeon 5870s work in the 1,1 too? I don't care about the EFI boot screen at all, and have a spare 5870. I'm being gifted a Mac Pro1,1 soon and was looking at ways to spruce it up.

Yeah, it should work fine.
Not 100% sure on which OS it needs so that PC cards will be recognised after boot but I believe that 10.7 does it.

You can install 10.8 but you need to use Chameleon to do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

Backups or Windows Restore (is that still a thing)?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, it should work fine.
Not 100% sure on which OS it needs so that PC cards will be recognised after boot but I believe that 10.7 does it.

You can install 10.8 but you need to use Chameleon to do it.

Yeah I was going to use Lion since that was the last fully-supported version of OS X for the 1,1. If the 5870 from Apple wasn't so much I would get it directly from them but even with the employee discount I get from my work it's still ~ $400 and that's ridiculous for a 3 1/2-year old card.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I just spilled a tiny bit of coffee on my rMBP's trackpad.. I got it cleaned up quickly but the trackpad started going haywire with the cursor moving and clicking by itself.

I've pulled the power and shut it down and it's now sitting upside down with a fan blowing on it..

Gonna leave it like that until tomorrow, hopefully it's not dead :( Anything else I can do?

edit: seems fine so far, fingers crossed..

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 18, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My mid-2011 iMac (27") has recently been relocated and for about a month has been using wifi only. I finally got around to getting everything back to how I like it and I am trying to get my ethernet connection going but for some reason, its not working. Sys prefs shows that its 'not connected' at all. I have tried removing and re-adding the ethernet connection but no change. also tried cleaning the jack. have tried 3 known good cables and they arent working.

anything else I can try?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Reset PRAM, reset SMC, use Set Service Order command in Network prefpane so that Ethernet is first on the list.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ok. So I did the SMC AND NVRAM, and when I do that the LED on the router shows that the connection is live and working UNTIL it goes from the bright white screen to the Grey apple loading screen. Done the process twice now and it's done that both times.

Also repaired permissions because there was a few in library that were wrong.

Anything else? The wifi seems flaky too in that it drops from time to time and needs to be reconnected, which doesn't happen with any other device and never has happened with this iMac/router before.

EDIT: works fine if I boot to the recovery partition (10.8.3). can see some entries in console suggesting that its switching to WiFi but if I turn off wifi the Ethernet connection still doesnt become enabled.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 18, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So can I talk about the Mac Pro in here? Do we know if it's going to get refreshed this year? And if so, what the specs might be?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

So can I talk about the Mac Pro in here? Do we know if it's going to get refreshed this year? And if so, what the specs might be?

Is Intel planning a Xeon refresh for Haswell? IIRC, it's been announced by Intel, so if Apple is committed to keeping the Mac Pro as a workstation-class machine, an update is imminent. I dunno, it feels like there's a desktop product missing from their lineup: the iMac is an appliance, mini is a dirty cheap throw-away, and the Mac Pro is a financially imposing beast. It feels like there might be room for something in there. The question is really about pricing and whether it fits within Apple's vision (unfortunately, I don't think so). Big-Mac Mini? :v:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah; it seems like a decently expandable mac desktop/tower would sell extremely well, but on the other hand it is basically completely opposed to the direction apple has been taking. Then again, so is the normal mac pro.

It's interesting because back in the day the g3 and g4 (and even the g5 sorta) towers were pretty much perfect for the enthusiast, but now the mac pro is just straight overkill. Hence the hackintosh scene.

My blue and white g3 was my favorite computer of all time I think.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 18, 2013

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Yeah; it seems like a decently expandable mac desktop/tower would sell extremely well, but on the other hand it is basically completely opposed to the direction apple has been taking. Then again, so is the normal mac pro.

It's interesting because back in the day the g3 and g4 (and even the g5 sorta) towers were pretty much perfect for the enthusiast, but now the mac pro is just straight overkill. Hence the hackintosh scene.

My blue and white g3 was my favorite computer of all time I think.

They never would - but a re-issue of the Cube with an ITX variant motherboard would be a nice concession to those of us that will upgrade the odd piece of hardware (RAM, video card, SSD).

I agree with the B&W sentiment - those computers and their design language evoked a fun experience. I really prefer that to the current staleness. The electronics, on the other hand... :stonk:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

krooj posted:

It feels like there might be room for something in there. The question is really about pricing and whether it fits within Apple's vision (unfortunately, I don't think so). Big-Mac Mini? :v:

A Mac Mini with a low end dedicated video card that manages to pass the bar for Blizzard/Steam games would be perfect. Something around $700-$900 that runs WoW/Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 out of the box with minimal bullshit. I know a bunch of people who would like a desktop for Blizzard stuff but get all their other needs met by an iPad/laptop of some sort, making a big purchase like an iMac tough to justify.

I'm actually kind of surprised Blizzard hasn't partnered with somebody to make an inexpensive desktop that runs their games out of the box. An $800 off the shelf at Staples/Walmart "WoW box" plastered with hideous artwork seems like a no brainer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah; it seems like a decently expandable mac desktop/tower would sell extremely well, but on the other hand it is basically completely opposed to the direction apple has been taking.

That would be such a tiny fraction of the market

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I think it's debatable as to what Apple ends up doing with the Mac Pro. Tim Cook has basically openly stated that the successor to the Mac Pro is launching this year. What form that device ends up taking is really anyone's guess.

But I've said it in this thread before: the current Mac Pro has always stuck to Apple's design ethos- just in a different way from the rest of their lineup. Look at how the chassis is designed for maximum ease of accessibility to the components. The side panel unclips and its all pull-out trays and sleds. It's "it just works" for the market that needs to access their equipment's guts.

Saying "the Mac Pro doesn't make sense in Apple's current strategy because it's not glued shut" fails to account for the differences in the markets and uses that each product is designed to satisfy. It also fails to account for the history that Apple has with the Mac Pro. You could use the Final Cut Pro X debacle as an example of where Apple might go with the refresh/replacement/whatever, but if the last year's been any indication, then I think that Apple aren't trying to shut the door on that market. It took them 2 years, but they took care of the biggest beefs people had with that software, just like they said they would.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 18, 2013

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you guys underestimate the number of people that play games on their computers because they don't know their system specs and they don't post on forums about it. It's probably largely people who stick to Windows poo poo because they're used to it and they know it runs games better. I don't know how Apple would market a reasonably priced computer with good graphics-- PC manufacturers don't even want to do that.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Apple isn't in to the hardxcore gamer crowd. Apple is perfectly content printing money by selling casual games, and letting developers port some of their titles to OSX. I play Diablo 3 and SC2 on my iMac just fine.

Even if Apple did make a high-end gaming machine, that kind of audience (generalizing) tends to be full of neckbeards who hate Apple because Apple's computers are more expensive pound-for-pound, on paper. They'd rather have everything made of bolt-on plastic and sound like a wind turbine than pay the extra for the kinds of machining Apple uses. Everyone knows "that guy" who would rather have an 8 pound 2-inch thick plastic laptop, which has the same specs as a MacBook, but costs $300 less.

My entire computer is smaller than some people's monitors, but it's going to be more expensive than similar specs in a full-size plastic ATX case, and that's what "hardcore gamers" want.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Saying "the Mac Pro doesn't make sense in Apple's current strategy because it's not glued shut" fails to account for the differences in the markets and uses that each product is designed to satisfy. It also fails to account for the history that Apple has with the Mac Pro. You could use the Final Cut Pro X debacle as an example of where Apple might go with the refresh/replacement/whatever, but if the last year's been any indication, then I think that Apple aren't trying to shut the door on that market. It took them 2 years, but they took care of the biggest beefs people had with that software, just like they said they would.

Well, if they do something interesting with the Mac Pro to show otherwise, I'll agree with you, but outside of the FcP-X argument, all evidence points to the contrary: Apple went from being a niche system for hold-outs, academics, and creative professionals in the 90s to the early/mid 2000s, to an appliance manufacturer. For most people, I think that's okay, so long as a) the manufacturer continues to innovate with features that make people want to upgrade, or b/c) either the hardware is fast enough for long enough to justify the price / cheap enough that nobody will think twice about replacing it in a year. Personally, I haven't the need for a system as beefy as the Mac Pro (maybe I could swallow the price of a used one), but for a desktop, I am very uncomfortable with buying an appliance (iMac), or something woefully under-powered (mini). That leaves me with the option of building my own desktop, but then I have to either struggle OS X onto it, use Linux, or (sadly) Windows :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

krooj posted:

Well, if they do something interesting with the Mac Pro to show otherwise, I'll agree with you, but outside of the FcP-X argument, all evidence points to the contrary: Apple went from being a niche system for hold-outs, academics, and creative professionals in the 90s to the early/mid 2000s, to an appliance manufacturer. For most people, I think that's okay, so long as a) the manufacturer continues to innovate with features that make people want to upgrade, or b/c) either the hardware is fast enough for long enough to justify the price / cheap enough that nobody will think twice about replacing it in a year. Personally, I haven't the need for a system as beefy as the Mac Pro (maybe I could swallow the price of a used one), but for a desktop, I am very uncomfortable with buying an appliance (iMac), or something woefully under-powered (mini). That leaves me with the option of building my own desktop, but then I have to either struggle OS X onto it, use Linux, or (sadly) Windows :suicide:

What exactly is underpowered about the mini? I use mine every day and have never had a problem with speed or performance. Its a incredibly quick machine.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I seem to have busted my MBP's LCD screen. My phone dropped a few inches out of my hand into my keyboard, and bounced into the corner of the screen. Now it has lines going each way. A bit of a bummer. :(

I was wonder where the cheapest LCD replacement is? I need a Hi-Def matte LCD screen for a Late 2011 MBP. I'm going to try to do it myself, which looks a bit time consuming but doable. The only problem I've seen is that all the guides I've found are for the glossy glass protected screen, which this is not. Any help there?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

What exactly is underpowered about the mini? I use mine every day and have never had a problem with speed or performance. Its a incredibly quick machine.

Depends on what you do with it, right? I'd be running a SW dev environment with it. That usually means a windows VM, eclipse, Postgres, Maven, Play Framework, Tomcat, a couple of browser instances + tabs, plus any added utils like Araxis, Xmplify, Sublime, etc... All of this at once will kill a bunch of systems, but it doesn't mandate a Mac Pro. For what do, the sweet spot seems to be a higher-end (quad core) i7 with a bunch of RAM and a very fast disk. Once you start adding multiple high res monitors, the system needs a good video card. OS X will push pretty hard on an HD4000 or cheaper video card when you run two 27" 2560xXXXX displays.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

I seem to have busted my MBP's LCD screen. My phone dropped a few inches out of my hand into my keyboard, and bounced into the corner of the screen. Now it has lines going each way. A bit of a bummer. :(

I was wonder where the cheapest LCD replacement is? I need a Hi-Def matte LCD screen for a Late 2011 MBP. I'm going to try to do it myself, which looks a bit time consuming but doable. The only problem I've seen is that all the guides I've found are for the glossy glass protected screen, which this is not. Any help there?

Buy the entire assembly off of eBay? I wouldn't want to perform the actual panel replacement myself, though. That path seems to be littered with a spudger, stripped screws, tears, alcohol, and broken mylar.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

krooj posted:

They never would - but a re-issue of the Cube with an ITX variant motherboard would be a nice concession to those of us that will upgrade the odd piece of hardware (RAM, video card, SSD).

I agree with the B&W sentiment - those computers and their design language evoked a fun experience. I really prefer that to the current staleness. The electronics, on the other hand... :stonk:
I was bored a while back and messed with some component sized boxes in a 3D app to see what could fit in a cube. I think I got dual CPUs, 3-4 PCIe slots, 4-6 drives, 4 RAM slots (or 8 I forget), PSU, and one big rear end fan in front for it all :v:

(...granted the slots were short so you'd need a special GPU like the GTX CU Mini variant, drive bays would be a mix of 2.5" and 3.5" drives, and god knows whether the space for heatsinks for dual CPUs would be enough)

BGrifter posted:

A Mac Mini with a low end dedicated video card that manages to pass the bar for Blizzard/Steam games would be perfect. Something around $700-$900 that runs WoW/Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 out of the box with minimal bullshit. I know a bunch of people who would like a desktop for Blizzard stuff but get all their other needs met by an iPad/laptop of some sort, making a big purchase like an iMac tough to justify.

I'm actually kind of surprised Blizzard hasn't partnered with somebody to make an inexpensive desktop that runs their games out of the box. An $800 off the shelf at Staples/Walmart "WoW box" plastered with hideous artwork seems like a no brainer.
Haswell could give what you want. I could see the GT3e graphics being on the optional higher end BTO CPU, hopefully GT3 on the $799 model. Well hopefully that on the $599 one but I could see them putting GT2 on there.

ratbert90 posted:

Just the GPU or number of bays I guess. CPU wise it's more or less up there with most of the lineup with the quad options so it should be fine unless you're doing computational work where you want the most CPU power available (i.e. multi socket), and I don't think the Mac Pro does 6Gbps still so the mini is actually ahead there. If you want more drives or more than 16GB RAM or some other random PCIe expansion you're out of luck with it of course.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I bought the 2013 15" rMBP a few months back and (aside from it getting hotter than the Mojave when I play certain games) I only have one small quibble:

What the gently caress is up with the MagSafe2 adapter? If I move my laptop 2 inches across my desk, it falls out. If I recross my legs while it's on my lap, it falls out. If I lift the computer up a few inches to plug something in, it loving FALLS OUT. I've been using Apple laptops as my primary computers since 1997 and I've never had this many many issues with the god drat power cord. Is this a common issue? Are there any fixes?

Another question: any recommendations for the best external drive choice for using Time Machine in OS X and for backing up my Win 7 partition?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is Apples upgrade history like? Is there a chance they will use Haswell in their new MBP's, or will we probably have to wait a year?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They will probably be among the first to have it on their laptops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

I said come in! posted:

What is Apples upgrade history like? Is there a chance they will use Haswell in their new MBP's, or will we probably have to wait a year?

Maybe a month of lag? Haswell is next month, so I guess they will announce some stuff at WWDC and then again in fall for the BTS circle-jerk.