Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRanTer posted:

10 Minutes until Uncensored 96, one of the only PPVs to win TWO Observer Awards:

http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

The last match is so unfulfilling. You could spend an hour screaming WHY and feel ko better about yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
This show was just... Wow, so terrible. I heaven't seen it before, and now I've seen some of it, but I couldn't go on after The Booty Man VS. DDP. Who was playing the role of DDP? Once the Giant VS. Loch Ness was about to start, I stopped. I got into WCW in '97, when the main angle was Sting VS. the nWo, and Raven had just made his debut. Was WCW usually this bad before their peak?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It was basically the Hulk Hogan and friends hour from 1994-mid 1996. It's kind of awesome in a so bad it's good way, but yeah, generally that era is even worse than Russo-era WCW.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zack_Gochuck posted:

It was basically the Hulk Hogan and friends hour from 1994-mid 1996. It's kind of awesome in a so bad it's good way, but yeah, generally that era is even worse than Russo-era WCW.

In 1994 you go from Steamboat/Flair at Spring Stampede to Hogan/Zodiac at Starrcade.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DDP vs. The Booty Man went 16 minutes and every second of that was stalling by both the heel and the face. That was the least appealing match I've ever seen.

Then Booker/Sting vs. The Road Warriors happened and it went twice as long and was just incoherent chaos for HALF AN HOUR

This is a show where Madusa vs. Rob Parker was the third best match on the card, with the second best finish. The best finish was Giant vs. Loch Ness!!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Zack_Gochuck posted:

It was basically the Hulk Hogan and friends hour from 1994-mid 1996. It's kind of awesome in a so bad it's good way,
It's not hot!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oatgan posted:

DDP vs. The Booty Man went 16 minutes and every second of that was stalling by both the heel and the face. That was the least appealing match I've ever seen.

Then Booker/Sting vs. The Road Warriors happened and it went twice as long and was just incoherent chaos for HALF AN HOUR

This is a show where Madusa vs. Rob Parker was the third best match on the card, with the second best finish. The best finish was Giant vs. Loch Ness!!!

At least Giant and Loch Ness was a mercifully short match.

There are no good words to describe the end of the main event. It was something that was and would never be seen again.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Both the main event and the DDP match made about zero sense. The street fight was pretty wretched too, but at least at its heart it was four guys trying to kick the crap out of each other.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So many groin shots, all the kicks to the balls and the babyfaces won via run ins from Lex Luger and Stevie Ray.

Also Sting used the straw end of the broom to beat up the Road Warriors.

It was awful.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

For the benefit of those who missed the synchtube, here's the main event condensed into 5 and a half minutes of pure stupid.

Really the worst part is when you sit down afterwards and try to figure out why Booty Man had brought frying pans to the arena with him that night.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Or how the match ended on a pin on the very first wrestler eliminated in the match.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
And of course flair has to eat the pin because you can have 2 big Hollywood stars on a one off appearance lose. Even though pinning a huge guy like them would look good for the faces.

I also like the booking that the night after what was supposed to be a brutal cage match they book flair to defend the world title, although I guess that's the smallest problem with that mess. At least Pillman was smart enough to stay away from that poo poo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I loved the cage design.

However the match was pure undiluted stupid. It was like Hogan looked at the cage and nixed the whole match.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Scirocco Griffon posted:

For the benefit of those who missed the synchtube, here's the main event condensed into 5 and a half minutes of pure stupid.

Really the worst part is when you sit down afterwards and try to figure out why Booty Man had brought frying pans to the arena with him that night.

It should also be pointed out that this video is missing 10-15 minutes of loving around in the primary ring that had no cage.

I really don't have any qualms against having a second ring for the cage, but why the gently caress do you have a cage match where the cage is useless.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Toffile posted:

It should also be pointed out that this video is missing 10-15 minutes of loving around in the primary ring that had no cage.

I really don't have any qualms against having a second ring for the cage, but why the gently caress do you have a cage match where the cage is useless.

Because it's Uncensored, where there are no rules and anything can happen of course! These are totally unsanctioned matches after all!

On that note, why were there title matches and pre-match stipulations in a show that was supposed to be unrecognized and unsanctioned by WCW's board of directors? I know they just more or less abandoned that idea for the last couple years but it was still in effect in '96 wasn't it?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

What a poo poo match. I love how Luger runs in (giving incredibly soft looking offense) and fucks up the spot where he is going to hit Macho Man with....a glove? Anyways, he rears back to hit Macho Man and then completely stops when Savage gets away from Flair...and then decks Flair anyway!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It is still better then Uncensored 95

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

What a poo poo match. I love how Luger runs in (giving incredibly soft looking offense) and fucks up the spot where he is going to hit Macho Man with....a glove? Anyways, he rears back to hit Macho Man and then completely stops when Savage gets away from Flair...and then decks Flair anyway!

Wait so he wasn't turning on Flair? I thought that was the swerve.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Was Jeff Jarrett the last wrestler to jump from WWF to WCW? If not, who? I'm guessing there might have been someone else right at the end but I'm unable to come up with any names.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Was Jeff Jarrett the last wrestler to jump from WWF to WCW? If not, who? I'm guessing there might have been someone else right at the end but I'm unable to come up with any names.

Sean Stasiak was fired by WWF and hired by WCW after the Jarrett jump if you want to count that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Scirocco Griffon posted:

Go home and put the figure eight on your Doberman.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Wait so he wasn't turning on Flair? I thought that was the swerve.

Even if he was turning on Flair, it was Luger in WCW; he probably turned back heel right after hitting him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I read "Luger" as "Liger" at first and got totally confused about the Liger/Macho Man feud I had somehow missed.

Then I read it again and got real disappointed.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Scirocco Griffon posted:

Because it's Uncensored, where there are no rules and anything can happen of course! These are totally unsanctioned matches after all!

On that note, why were there title matches and pre-match stipulations in a show that was supposed to be unrecognized and unsanctioned by WCW's board of directors? I know they just more or less abandoned that idea for the last couple years but it was still in effect in '96 wasn't it?

Every year they would have a manager distract the WCW front office for the whole thing. For '96 Hogan tried to hit Flair with a chairshot during a board members meeting, but Flair ducked and Hogan knocked out all of Turner's shareholders accidentally.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phenix Rising posted:

I read "Luger" as "Liger" at first and got totally confused about the Liger/Macho Man feud I had somehow missed.

Then I read it again and got real disappointed.

I have good news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw4_bE5LdwE

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

MassRanTer posted:

Sean Stasiak was fired by WWF and hired by WCW after the Jarrett jump if you want to count that.

fired for recording other wrestlers without their knowledge, no less!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bonus points for anyone who recognises the entrance music that's playing for the next intro.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Bonus points for anyone who recognises the entrance music that's playing for the next intro.

Wait... Isn't that Andre's theme?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

LvK posted:

Wait... Isn't that Andre's theme?

The Machines, rather. Who used it there, Dr. Death? Because I know Dr. Death used another version of that theme.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Sounds like the announcer is saying something "Giant" and it also looks like the Giant was on that card, so maybe they gave him Andre's old theme?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Helllloooo, something to watch on my lunch break. Thanks!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

LvK posted:

Sounds like the announcer is saying something "Giant" and it also looks like the Giant was on that card, so maybe they gave him Andre's old theme?

It is indeed Andre's theme, I'd never heard Dr. Death use it, but he did use a version without the growl at the beginning, so that's cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWmiySZvE4

Dr. Death was AJPW though, while Jushin Liger (and I believe the WCW) was NJPW. I'm guessing that it was getting used by the Giant, wish I could read Japanese.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I was watching Ladder Match 2's Syxx vs Eddie Guerrero at nWo Uncensored 97. What a strange but awesome concept that looked like. I loved how the whole set up was nWo themed. The stage set was really cool too. Were Eric Bischoff and Ted DiBiase sitting on a speaker stack instead of an annouce table?

The use of a fisheye lens was funny too. Gave it that 90's "x-treme" look.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Der-Wreck posted:

I was watching Ladder Match 2's Syxx vs Eddie Guerrero at nWo Uncensored 97. What a strange but awesome concept that looked like. I loved how the whole set up was nWo themed. The stage set was really cool too. Were Eric Bischoff and Ted DiBiase sitting on a speaker stack instead of an annouce table?

I can promise you it was actually a terrible concept and one of the most infamously bad PPV's of all time

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Der-Wreck posted:

That was nWo Souled Out, not Uncensored.

oatgan posted:

I can promise you it was actually a terrible concept and one of the most infamously bad PPV's of all time

This is also true.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I would say it is an interesting concept with terrible execution. I like the idea of a nWo PPV that looks different. nWo Souled Out sucked though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i thought it looked cool but yeesh that ppv was a stinker

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dumb matches.
Miss nWo was a disaster
Pretty sure the live band uttered some racial slurs but they were so awful no one was paying attention
And I still can't for the life of me understand why the nWo entered the arena riding on the back of dump trucks

coconono fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 17, 2013

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

coconono posted:

And I still can't for the life of me understand why the nWo entered the arena riding on the back of dump trucks

Popular story is that they wanted the show to have a gritty, industrial feel to it and someone said "I know where we can rent some dump trucks". Given WCW's usual approach to decision making at the time it's not too hard to believe.

It's also pretty telling that Bischoff thought the nWo would be such a permanent fixture that he made not one but two attempts to spin it off into its own brand, even while they were in the middle of competing directly with the WWF. At least the Raw/Smackdown brand split had the logic that there's no major competition out there anymore so they had no other option but to compete with themselves. I guess giving the bad guys their own show would have implied they were too scared to face WCW's top guys and wanted their own little sandbox where they could beat up who they wanted, but I can't see anyone watching for very long considering like 75% of the roster was nWo or affiliated with them at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Scirocco Griffon posted:

Popular story is that they wanted the show to have a gritty, industrial feel to it and someone said "I know where we can rent some dump trucks". Given WCW's usual approach to decision making at the time it's not too hard to believe.

It's also pretty telling that Bischoff thought the nWo would be such a permanent fixture that he made not one but two attempts to spin it off into its own brand, even while they were in the middle of competing directly with the WWF. At least the Raw/Smackdown brand split had the logic that there's no major competition out there anymore so they had no other option but to compete with themselves. I guess giving the bad guys their own show would have implied they were too scared to face WCW's top guys and wanted their own little sandbox where they could beat up who they wanted, but I can't see anyone watching for very long considering like 75% of the roster was nWo or affiliated with them at that point.

You have to remember that Bischoff was initially inspired by seeing the first UWFi vs NJPW dome show. The idea behind that rivalry was it was promotion vs promotion, that the real pro wrestlers were taking on the fake pro wrestlers. NJPW even kept UWFi around as a seperate promotion for awhile even though the whole reason the feud came about was UWFi was no longer viable. So the blueprint was there and it seems plausible that making the nWo its own thing would add to the overall feud, especially if Sting was taking the title. Granted, I have no idea how the nWo would work as its own show. I can see how it would work for one PPV a year, maybe, but its own show, no.