Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Somebody is trying to be Zoobooks for the new generation with AR cards for iPads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Somebody is trying to be Zoobooks for the new generation with AR cards for iPads.

Haha what? Why don't they just make an app and sell it in the iTunes store or Google Play? That's where the smart money is. AR cards sound cool, but complicated when you can just buy and download that poo poo from those sources.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You do have to remember its for kids and kids do like having physical things they can carry around, show off, and all those other things kids like to do with something that's theirs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sash! posted:

You do have to remember its for kids and kids do like having physical things they can carry around, show off, and all those other things kids like to do with something that's theirs.

And lose them. Kids love losing poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I really hope that one day, a giant company like Coca-Cola, or Pizza Hut, or Frito-Lay make a series of ads lampooning the mixed up black-and-white failureworld that exists in so many commercials today.

Have a nuclear power plant employee reach for a competitor's product, and then clumsily slip and fall onto a huge console full of blinking buttons, causing the whole facility to melt down, killing millions, all in a monochromatic shade of disaster and tragedy.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 6, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I'm reasonably sure the Zoobooks issues are the same ones from 25 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNuBoymppk

gave me an excuse to post this.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Dear DestinationXL:

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of good ways to convey the message that you are a good resource for exceptionally large men who need to buy clothes, however a bunch of overweight guys in their underwear wandering a wasteland is probably not one of them

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

DarklyDreaming posted:

Dear DestinationXL:

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of good ways to convey the message that you are a good resource for exceptionally large men who need to buy clothes, however a bunch of overweight guys in their underwear wandering a wasteland is probably not one of them

I laughed at that commercial.

I just saw a Bosley hair ad that had Sympathy for the Devil playing in the background. Are they saying the price of gaining hair is your soul?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Here have a terrible local commercial that runs almost every single commercial break, but only during football and hockey season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T4R5Hn5XEM

If I have to suffer with the bad singing so do you

I can't stop laughing at their laziness in simply ending every line with "at the Rock It Grill!" instead of coming up with any rhymes.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gaunab posted:

I laughed at that commercial.

I just saw a Bosley hair ad that had Sympathy for the Devil playing in the background. Are they saying the price of gaining hair is your soul?

If you look at the side effects of your average testosterone cream, yes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Rock It Grill is basically what I envision purgatory to be.

Apathetic karaoke performances, billiards and lovely bar food.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Oh, well...hello there, Radio Shack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtewxfcptw
:stare:

Edit: Ahhh, that's why this looked familiar. It's a take off of this song/video:

:nws: http://vimeo.com/63173106 :nws: (Lots of breasts, rear end, and such.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, well...hello there, Radio Shack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtewxfcptw
:stare:

Edit: Ahhh, that's why this looked familiar. It's a take off of this song/video:

:nws: http://vimeo.com/63173106 :nws: (Lots of breasts, rear end, and such.)

That's a pretty good song even before you factor the rear end and titties in. Sounds like something Prince would've written in the 90s.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 10, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I wonder if when Ice Cube was in NWA that he ever imagined he'd go on to film a series of commercials where he regularly gets punked by a beer can.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Zfe/coors-light-worlds-most-refreshing-can-featuring-ice-cube

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Chuck Liddell can threaten people with bodily harm to get better seats at the game, be allowed to take flash photos when clearly against policy, or even ride a dolphin. He cannot make beer magically appear if the bar is sold out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gonz posted:

The Rock It Grill is basically what I envision purgatory to be.

Apathetic karaoke performances, billiards and lovely bar food.

The first singer they showed on the karoke mic looked like he was on the verge of tears. They show a bartender doing a trick and spilling booze everywhere. The fact they paid money to make themselves look bad baffles me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sp78DsIOwc
Zoomies! Because wearing binoculars constantly over your eyes couldn't possibly go wrong!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sp78DsIOwc
Zoomies! Because wearing binoculars constantly over your eyes couldn't possibly go wrong!

I'm pretty there's a 100% chance of these being the cause of a fatal car accident.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Watching TV with binoculars sounds like a great idea, though, especially since screen resolution is a myth

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I love how they look like 80s "future" glasses.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I love how they look like 80s "future" glasses.

Looks like something Devo would wear.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Nerdfest X posted:

Chuck Liddell can threaten people with bodily harm to get better seats at the game, be allowed to take flash photos when clearly against policy, or even ride a dolphin. He cannot make beer magically appear if the bar is sold out.

Bud light - who is the official sponsor of the ufc anyways - should have a commercial where the various security guards are Shogun Rua, Rashad Evans and other fighters who have knocked Chuck out.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first singer they showed on the karoke mic looked like he was on the verge of tears. They show a bartender doing a trick and spilling booze everywhere. The fact they paid money to make themselves look bad baffles me.

Don't forget the sloppy hip-thrusting cougar about halfway in!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I hope people use those binocular eyeglasses to stare at the sun.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Guitar Center seems to be targeting men going through a midlife crisis.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Hey look, a series of commercials that feel more slimy than those BP Gulf tourism commercials. (The Sugarland "Stand Up" is the commercial I see the most, but this one is equally cringeworthy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aX4Vk9jblM

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Guitar Center seems to be targeting men going through a midlife crisis.

God I hate that commercial. You just know those employees hate that dude, they're not his friends they have to be nice to him.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcyBkylYnqU

Literally just saw this pop during television.

For the love of god, isn't there some sort of FCC standard that says I don't have to be subjected to this?

By the way, Anti-big tobacco activists? Your ads suck. (Not to say that anti-smoking ads are bad. the ones I saw that focused on that aspect seemed effective)

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Yes commercial, urea is found in cat pee and cigarettes. It can also be found in:
Nair
Skin Cream
Dish Soap
Tooth Whitening Products
What is your point, commercial?

Is this what anti-smoking commercials have to stoop to? Misleading gross-out tactics? Is CIGARETTES WILL GIVE YOU HORRIBLE CANCER, YO not enough to dissuade people? Because that is a sign that something is very wrong here.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

dijon du jour posted:

Is this what anti-smoking commercials have to stoop to? Misleading gross-out tactics? Is CIGARETTES WILL GIVE YOU HORRIBLE CANCER, YO not enough to dissuade people? Because that is a sign that something is very wrong here.

Yes, it is commonly accepted that human beings aren't rational actors.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcyBkylYnqU

Literally just saw this pop during television.

For the love of god, isn't there some sort of FCC standard that says I don't have to be subjected to this?

By the way, Anti-big tobacco activists? Your ads suck. (Not to say that anti-smoking ads are bad. the ones I saw that focused on that aspect seemed effective)

Those "truth" ads have been around for at least 10-15 years and they've always been terrible.
If it makes you feel any better, I've seen plenty of the other type of commercial where they have people with tracheotomies or amputated limbs/digits, so there's that... I guess...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TV trend I'm getting tired of in commercials, that loving Imagine Dragons song being used for every goddamn upcoming thing.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

raditts posted:

Those "truth" ads have been around for at least 10-15 years and they've always been terrible.

There's a reason why they're so awful. They're funded by the tobacco companies as part of the settlement with the federal government.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

TV trend I'm getting tired of in commercials, that loving Imagine Dragons song being used for every goddamn upcoming thing.

I'm so glad the Penguins are off local cable now because Root Sports has two different songs that play every commercial break: Radioactive, and some loving Fallout Boy song I'M ON FIIIIIIRE

BuckT.Trend posted:

There's a reason why they're so awful. They're funded by the tobacco companies as part of the settlement with the federal government.

They just pay for them, not create them

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

ElwoodCuse posted:

They just pay for them, not create them

I'm fairly certain they have creative input.

I was always amused by the ones where they would put little signs next to dog poop on the sidewalk "Tobacco has the same stuff that's in this doggy-doo". You are not making the world a better place by putting those signs. In fact you are littering. Picking up all that crap would make the world a better place though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I get a kick out of commercials for junk food where the only semi-positive attribute they can say about their product is that it's "A source of food energy."

Always in fine print of course. Must be a legal thing.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Vakal posted:

the only semi-positive attribute they can say about their product is that it's "A source of food energy."

Now with more molecules!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vakal posted:

I get a kick out of commercials for junk food where the only semi-positive attribute they can say about their product is that it's "A source of food energy."

I've always liked how on the back of Gatorade bottles the calorie line says "Calories (Energy)".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Right up there with the recent line of Centrum multi-vitamin commercials. They spend the whole ad extolling how recently big time scientists did a study on the long term effect of multi-vitamins, and guess what? They used Centrum in the study! Of course, there's absolutely zero information in the ads about what the study found, but at least they used Centrum! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Vakal posted:

Always in fine print of course. Must be a legal thing.

The best part is that due to a series of lawsuits, Five Hour Energy is no longer allowed to claim that they actually provide energy nor last a full five hours.