Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Namarrgon posted:

I think so. you need the seed number (or name) and the map type (default, huge biome or superflat).

Check out this seed in vanilla minecraft (seed: cookiesareyummy and use superflat and keep it standard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I kinda want to see what amounts to super flat with oceans, trees, swamps, and other things still there and caves below, just no change in elevation on the surface besides trees and water areas.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Got the seed. 3514175381085313290. Gonna remake this sucker, and call it Waterworld.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

xanthan posted:

I kinda want to see what amounts to super flat with oceans, trees, swamps, and other things still there and caves below, just no change in elevation on the surface besides trees and water areas.

I was hoping the additional options added to superflat mode would do this, but even though "biomes" is one of the flags, the whole world is always plains.

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:

xanthan posted:

I'm doing somehing like this on a smaller scale for X-Craft, most combat with the aliens will occur in temporary dimensions which are basically small, mostly flat terrain dressed up to look like the battlescapes from X-Com.

If there's interest in that type of thing, I could see if I can hack together some extra worldgen options for new worlds like the one you described.

E: whoops just realised this isn't the modding thread, should I delete this?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
How do you get a trapped chest to give off a redstone signal stronger than one block? And how do you set up a reverse redstone signal with a trapped chest?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Looks like there is another minecraftish survival/resource gathering/building/sandbox game in the works called The Forest, so far the only real info out is the trailer, but it's pretty if nothing else https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQgVj9tBQG0

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Ahah, it's just Stranded with a graphics update. I hope they keep the voice acting.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Jamesman posted:

How do you get a trapped chest to give off a redstone signal stronger than one block? And how do you set up a reverse redstone signal with a trapped chest?

This what you mean?

http://imgur.com/FYjB3JG

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jamesman posted:

It's powered by how many people are looking into it at once apparently. I don't even get mad at things like this anymore, just laugh

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Possibly. I was looking to see if you could use the trapped chest as an actual trap, where you could bury TNT underneath it and have them be ignited when someone opened it. But so far, I can only figure out to put one piece of dust underneath the chest, with 4 TNT surrounding that. Can't figure out a way to expand the signal, or a way to reverse that signal (if need be).

(Also I have no actual point for this but I just wanted to try it.)

nippon nifties posted:

It's powered by how many people are looking into it at once apparently. I don't even get mad at things like this anymore, just laugh

Wait, what? I thought you increased the strength by filling it with more items, but I couldn't make it work so I thought I was doing something wrong. Having it powered by multiple people opening it at once doesn't even make sense. :psyduck:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Possibly. I was looking to see if you could use the trapped chest as an actual trap, where you could bury TNT underneath it and have them be ignited when someone opened it. But so far, I can only figure out to put one piece of dust underneath the chest, with 4 TNT surrounding that. Can't figure out a way to expand the signal, or a way to reverse that signal (if need be).

(Also I have no actual point for this but I just wanted to try it.)

Wait, what? I thought you increased the strength by filling it with more items, but I couldn't make it work so I thought I was doing something wrong. Having it powered by multiple people opening it at once doesn't even make sense. :psyduck:

Normal chests, when you slap a comparator onto the back of them, output a signal depending on how many items are in the chest. Supposedly you can use this somehow to rig a normal chest to blow once some of the contents have been removed.

The different strength depending on number of people using it might be a fail safe so you don't accidentally trigger your own trap. Then again, it requires two people for that feature to be of any use. Though with a simple comparator set up, the single redstone signal it outputs will do a lot for you. Honestly, I think the number of people using it=signal strength, was added more for multiplayer adventure maps/puzzles instead, a check system to make sure all players are present before they are allowed to continue.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Can't you put a redstone torch under the block under the chest? Will that not carry the signal downward?

It's been a while, i forget.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I just ran across a set of cool videos. Anyone that is into making maps might be interested in this block changing wizardry.

Sethbling showing off some of the magic in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4IdOzIwZDI

Silent video that shows the different things in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox5dwSvDXYk

Explanation of the previous video, and how the magic works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFBs_Ql53cU

MilicentPottywinkle
Mar 16, 2006
I am not a hipster fag, stop calling me that!

Jamesman posted:

Just put a repeater next to it and it will extend the signal another 15 blocks or however far the usual limit is.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Looks like there is another minecraftish survival/resource gathering/building/sandbox game in the works called The Forest, so far the only real info out is the trailer, but it's pretty if nothing else https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQgVj9tBQG0
From what I understand this won't actually be randomly generated, so it's more of a linear adventure with sandbox elements than a Minecraft-style survival game.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Not sure if this thread or one of the other Minecraft threads is the place to ask, but here it goes. Me and my roommates (6 of us)host our own server to play on. Originally we just connected locally, but now another friend who doesn't live with us plays with us too, so we've switched to using Hamachi. I was wondering if there was any way to get around the 5-connection limit on the free version of Hamachi, given that almost all of us are connecting locally? Or is there a similar program that would allow 7 of us to play? Should we just shell out the $30 to upgrade Hamachi?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Couldn't you just host the server normally and play that way since you'll have to be connected to the internet for your friend anyway?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

i like tacos posted:

Couldn't you just host the server normally and play that way since you'll have to be connected to the internet for your friend anyway?

Well I should hope they've all bought the game.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Electrical Fire posted:

I was wondering if there was any way to get around the 5-connection limit on the free version of Hamachi, given that almost all of us are connecting locally? Or is there a similar program that would allow 7 of us to play? Should we just shell out the $30 to upgrade Hamachi?

Have the host machine create 2 Hamachi Networks and have 5 people join on one network then the other 2 on the second network.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Just loaded Minecraft onto a different computer, and now it won't load any worlds. Every time I load a save or server it gives a brief flash of 'Building World' and then freezes on that blank dirt-texture screen until I close the program. Any ideas on how to go about diagnosing/fixing it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Minecraft was first posted about 4 years ago today...

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6273

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Does that make this the first ever publicly-shared Minecraft construction?

"Built a bridge"

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 17, 2013

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Vib Rib posted:

Does that make this the first ever publicly-shared Minecraft construction?

"Built a bridge"
Oh god, that neon-green grass actually hurts my eyes :stare:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I actually miss the old gravel texture. I was sad to see that texture replaced.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

itotaku posted:

I actually miss the old gravel texture. I was sad to see that texture replaced.

With the new texture setup, it would be easy to revert it.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Kly posted:

Have the host machine create 2 Hamachi Networks and have 5 people join on one network then the other 2 on the second network.

This worked like a charm, I didn't know it was something you could do. Thanks!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

quote:

the lighting works really well also

:notch:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I like how the discussion went from decent in the first pages to terrible, official Minecraft forums levels of people spewing random bullshit just so they post in ~*thread that started it all*~. Should've locked that thing years ago.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, I'm enjoying it

Dr. Cooldude posted:

This game started the wave of YouTube capitalism.

caiys posted:

^notch has a lot of crimes to answer for

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
47 posts in, you'll find a mention of what may have been the first penis ever built in Minecraft. Truly a valuable historic archive.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm really enjoying the new clay blocks, so I was inspired to build pueblo type buildings.

For whatever reason, the villagers love the poo poo out of them, they all abandoned their old houses and moved in over here.

Haven't bred any horses yet, but the storage donkeys are awesome, and for supposedly "end game" content, horse armour and saddles are ridiculously easy to find in bulk right now. Name tags are still a bit rare from what I've seen though.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I know there's a million minecart stations out there, but I put a lot of effort into this one.

It has 10-track push-button track selection, automated cart dispensing and collection, and no gravity drops between inbound and outbound. I think it's a clean design, with a really good use of space.

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.
New snapshot is out. All my horses were nekkid, lost all the saddles, and one diamond and one gold armor. Also sound cuts out everytime after about 5 minutes. And sprinting seems hosed unless you're jumping.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

LLeGGo posted:

New snapshot is out. All my horses were nekkid, lost all the saddles, and one diamond and one gold armor. Also sound cuts out everytime after about 5 minutes. And sprinting seems hosed unless you're jumping.

So... typical snapshot derpiness then? Guess I'll have to just stick with the old one.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sooooooo hey, guys. This snapshot mentions an "attribute" system being implemented, where NBT values for items and entities can be altered. This is meant for adventure maps, but remember how Dinnerbone was gonna add that regional difficulty thing, where an area would get more difficult the longer you stayed in it?

Anyone else feel like these two ideas could/would be combined?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Not really?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

LLeGGo posted:

Horses lost their stuff because horse inventory got revamped.

Horses

Donkey/Mule

Sprinting is hosed because DB is moving all entity properties, including players, over to a better organized system called Attribute. This is being done to 1) Clean up the code, 2) Expand what the dev team can do with entities and 3) For the equipment modifier system Jamesman mentioned. Moving all the stuff over to the new system should hopefully be finished by next week's snapshot.

Someone has a basic explanation of the system here.

Jamesman posted:

Sooooooo hey, guys. This snapshot mentions an "attribute" system being implemented, where NBT values for items and entities can be altered. This is meant for adventure maps, but remember how Dinnerbone was gonna add that regional difficulty thing, where an area would get more difficult the longer you stayed in it?

Anyone else feel like these two ideas could/would be combined?

Its not just via NBT! Eventually there will be an in-game way of modifying these (at the very least with command blocks as DB has said). If you are willing to cheat one in and make up a personal rule of costs (modify a variable, but I'll "expend" (throw away) X amount of material Y), I think it would work well.

This is going to be great for server owners, think about the amazing item rewards you can give out for events or using the health modifier tacked onto armor and other "buffs" to make boss mobs for players to go after. As a moderator for server with lots of adventure based events, I am loving excited for 1.6. :D

flatluigi posted:

Not really?

You don't think that armor that gives you more max health, or being able to debuff enemies (have a simple item that has debuffs on it, throw it on the ground, mob picks it up and is thus suffers from the debuff since it is equipped in their hands, though getting this applied to throwing potions would be better) wouldn't help with increased difficulty? Hell, there is a knockback property where if you get it set to a power of +1 on a bit of armor, skeletons cannot knock you around with their bows. The attribute system, if more easily assessable in normal game play, opens up a hell of a lot of doors for surviving in harder environments.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, what I was mulling about in my head was a little different. Right now, we were all kinda thinking that Dinnerbone's plane for regional difficulty would amount to mobs taking/dealing more damage the longer you're in an area, and maybe they're spawn more often with equipment. But with this attributes system, I was questioning if he MIGHT use that as part of his plan, so the longer you're in a region, these attributes might be applied to your person and to mobs. You become slower/enemies become faster, it takes longer to harvest blocks, your hunger bar depletes faster, you don't regenerate health at all, or other negative effects that you can't remove until you relocate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That would be incredibly stupid and unfun, dude. I know it's trendy to assume the worst from Minecraft devs, but assume they have a little common sense.