Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I really like Sol Gravion (not as much as it's older brother Compatible Kaiser but...) and I was very thankful that it remained nearly as reliable as it did in Z.

Whatever SRW game, if it has six pilots in it, the unit is going to rock!

Like most ZEUTHers, it got limited to a single BGM - in this case, the main theme of Gravion Zwei.

It's not my favorite BGM from them but it works well...I still don't know if I prefer Z's synth brass or Z2's synth violin, though.

Rosary of Grief was the theme of God Gravion but it also played during the combined attack with God Sigma Gravion (it sync'd up to it pretty well, too).

Personally, I like it slightly more than Scarlet Fang BUT not as much as...

Hell, yeah! This here is the BGM for the Gran Kaiser but it was awesome all around (even if the Gran Kaiser was kind of shite as Touga didn't have his helpers to keep him alive) - plus, it's sang by the world-igniting voice of it was COMPOSED by Hironobu Kageyama and sang by Masaki Endoh.

Respect it! :rock:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

Hell, yeah! This here is the BGM for the Gran Kaiser but it was awesome all around (even if the Gran Kaiser was kind of shite as Touga didn't have his helpers to keep him alive) - plus, it's sang by the world-igniting voice of Hironobu Kageyama.

Respect it! :rock:

Hold it! Combination! God Gravion was Masaki Endoh. What I would have liked somewhere in either game, though, was Flame Lord Combination! Sol Gravion. It seemed wrong that Gravion's combiner theme would go to its uncombined core, anyway.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 18, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

That's pretty good to hear. Everybody wins!

I admit to liking Gravion with some reservations, but it's one of those shows where if it doesn't make you giggle a lot you'll just think it's the stupidest loving thing. Also, Obari breasts. It can't exactly take on Marriage of God and Soul Godannar, but it's up there. At least there aren't any tit robots, and it tries to go dark in the second season.

Also, I legit miss Sandman's God Sigma Gravion. :( It's not coming back until Restoration.
Well.....technically Eina is Gravion's tit robot. She just happens to be normal human-sized and with a modestly sized chest. And a ninja. And a maid. Because Masami Obari is that loving insane.

I do agree that Gravion's theme here is...bleh. "God Merge! God Gravion!" or as you suggested "Flame Lord Combination! Sol Gravion!" would have been much better. Shame that Sandman decided to sit this game out. I honestly have no idea why Sandman isn't available in this game despite being in cutscenes other than Banpresto deciding that Sandman is the "magically appearing upgrade for Sasei Hen for ZEUTH members". Which is dumb. Because, for all its stupidity, Koyasu had the time of his life voicing Sandman and making the character stand out more than he needed to. And in a game with people like Kamina and Lelouch, Sandman deserves his 15 minutes on stage.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Seeing this come back and with such a good update was a good way to enter the weekend. :allears:

Gravion as a show is rather mediocre, its saving grace are a few quirky tidbits that prove interesting here and there (such as the fact that the main character is not the lead pilot) and that the second season is much better paced and has better action. SRW of course plays to Gravion's strengths, making it an amazingly powerful unit with some badass animations and The Best Cut-in, plus sparing you from the most "Goddamnit Japan" bits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gravion has a budget of like a $1.50 and it shows. One of the amazing things about SRW's animations is that they go out of their way to reference the budget saving lack-of-movement that Gravion has in the show. Not to the same level as Godmars of course, but few things are as glorious as Godmars' intentionally-poo poo animation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Gravion has a budget of like a $1.50 and it shows. One of the amazing things about SRW's animations is that they go out of their way to reference the budget saving lack-of-movement that Gravion has in the show. Not to the same level as Godmars of course, but few things are as glorious as Godmars' intentionally-poo poo animation.
Honestly I kind of like the way it's portrayed in the games, at least. I've literally never seen a single clip of Gravion, but here the way it's so ponderous and clunky makes it feel really powerful.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Seeing the robots in action in this LP, I suddenly regret never watching Gravion. Should I?

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
I actually used Gran Trooper a lot in this game, because it was a flying robot with resupply, that could also stand up for itself in a fight. As a result, it was a bit more useful to me than the Shuttle, which had a bad tendency to get killed off too quickly. Though, the comparison to Dai-Guard is apt, and if I had to choose between the two, I'd bench Gran Trooper every time. Which is exactly what I chose to do in the sequel.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Mikl posted:

Seeing the robots in action in this LP, I suddenly regret never watching Gravion. Should I?

It's fanservicey as hell (not to Godannar levels but still gets really Obari and maids) but if you can get past that it's quite fun and the combat is good (especially as Zwei progresses). Also, Sandman is the best and it's quite neat that the main character isn't the main pilot of the Gravion (Eiji is the main character).

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 18, 2013

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ActionZero posted:

It's fanservicey as hell (not to Godannar levels but still gets really Obari and maids) but if you can get past that it's quite fun and the combat is good (especially as Zwei progresses). Also, Sandman is the best and it's quite neat that the main character isn't the main pilot of the Gravion (Eiji is the main character).

Just to footnote this, Eiji is Sol Gravon's secondary pilot who sits with Touga in the chest and is pretty much in charge of the indirect weapons. But at the start of the series, he was God Gravion's foot and it was Leele piloting the wings.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I used Gravion a lot in my first playthrough, but the initial lack of potential was painful. It was a hard decision whether to dump all PP into Potential, or save some of it for skills such as EN Save or Guard.

Caphi posted:

I don't think your ZEUTH and our GOONZ are that different.
I don't expect you to believe the likes of us, but that's all we want, too.
We're all fighting to bring peace to the world.
Actually, I...
Should keep your mouth shut.
...will do.

Even though it may look like we're just another gang of thugs taking advantage of the mess.
Uh, I'm actually a--
Just stop.
Yessir.

Oh Crowe, you're so entertaining. :allears:

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Daler Mehndi posted:

I used Gravion a lot in my first playthrough, but the initial lack of potential was painful. It was a hard decision whether to dump all PP into Potential, or save some of it for skills such as EN Save or Guard.

Oh Crowe, you're so entertaining. :allears:

I found that bit with Crowe pretty drat funny but can anyone explain what's going on? I mean I kinda have an idea, but I'm not really sure.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

I found that bit with Crowe pretty drat funny but can anyone explain what's going on? I mean I kinda have an idea, but I'm not really sure.

In the first part, Lockon says "We're all fighting to bring peace to the world", but we all know Crowe's just fighting to pay off his debt. And in the second, I guess Crowe's insinuating that he actually is just a thug.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Crowe is fighting to repay his debt, which basically makes him a mercenary like the PMC's that are always evil in these games. That would prove to be a specially bad admission to make when talking to Shinn, too, since LOGOS in Destiny isn't too different from Axion in Z2.

Which makes me think that I would like a PMC as the original faction in a game if only to give us more Crowe-esque chill people and less of the hotblooded/angsty originals which are a dime a dozen.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 18, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crowe keeps trying to imply that he is just a thug who's taking advantage of the mess, everyone else keeps cutting him off at the pass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TK-31 posted:

Crowe is fighting to repay his debt, which basically makes him a mercenary like the PMC's that are always evil in these games. That would prove to be a specially bad admission to make when talking to Shinn, too, since LOGOS in Destiny isn't too different from Axion in Z2.

Which makes me think that I would like a PMC as the original faction in a game if only to give us more Crowe-esque chill people and less of the hotblooded/angsty originals which are a dime a dozen.

The UX originals are part of a PMC I believe.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Oh boy, Gravion. The one thing I liked about Gravion in Z1 (The JAM Project theme) is apparently absent from Z2, so I guess that's a write-off for me. I kinda liked the Gran Trooper as a squad-filler, though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Oh Gravion. Caphi seriously undersells the Grankaiser in Z1, it was actually a legitimately good unit in that game even before you got it upgraded to Gravion all the time. It had a good TRI Attack and an actually quite powerful and cheap ranged weapon. It was a tad hard to get to 130 morale early on, but Touga had a really cheap version of Yell so you could use his SP as a stopgap and then rely on the other 5 pilots to fuel God Gravion. It did eventually start to become less useful, but unlike the Nova Eagle by the time it had started to really lag behind it became Gravion full-time.

As for Gravion the series its fun but insubstantial. I give kudos to Obari Obari-ing it up. Having him go full Obari with all the dramatic Obari poses does a good job hiding how cheap the show was.

ImpAtom posted:

The UX originals are part of a PMC I believe.

Well initially. In UX the hero and his rival are part of a PMC initially, but the hero ends up being recruited by "Unknown Xtrikers" which is a more standard SRW group. His rival meanwhile joins a secret organization trying to prevent the resurrection of the goddess of destruction. Also after the game's first act (Since its on the 3DS it has 3 parts) "Unknown Xtrikers" is renamed "Ultimate Xross".

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Omnicrom posted:

Oh Gravion. Caphi seriously undersells the Grankaiser in Z1, it was actually a legitimately good unit in that game even before you got it upgraded to Gravion all the time. It had a good TRI Attack and an actually quite powerful and cheap ranged weapon. It was a tad hard to get to 130 morale early on, but Touga had a really cheap version of Yell so you could use his SP as a stopgap and then rely on the other 5 pilots to fuel God Gravion. It did eventually start to become less useful, but unlike the Nova Eagle by the time it had started to really lag behind it became Gravion full-time.

Sorry, but I couldn't get it to take a hit properly and Touga's lack of Prevail didn't help. It was still definitely both cooler and more destructive than Nova Eagle, though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

Sorry, but I couldn't get it to take a hit properly and Touga's lack of Prevail didn't help. It was still definitely both cooler and more destructive than Nova Eagle, though.

For me it didn't take hits, it was actually quite dodgy in my experience. And since I spent my time angling to get kills for Touga I didn't often have to worry about counters.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Well initially. In UX the hero and his rival are part of a PMC initially, but the hero ends up being recruited by "Unknown Xtrikers" which is a more standard SRW group. His rival meanwhile joins a secret organization trying to prevent the resurrection of the goddess of destruction. Also after the game's first act (Since its on the 3DS it has 3 parts) "Unknown Xtrikers" is renamed "Ultimate Xross".

Wait UX is a 3-parter? :psyduck: That game must feel rushed as heck. I'm a bit surprised they went ahead and did something like that without Age though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TK-31 posted:

Wait UX is a 3-parter? :psyduck: That game must feel rushed as heck. I'm a bit surprised they went ahead and did something like that without Age though.
It's not a case of "three games shoved into one game". It actually is "three different arcs resulting from a time loop that was created to prevent the Hindu goddess of destruction from ending everything".

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TK-31 posted:

No like Arado said it's a story divided into 3 parts in the same way that SRW W was divided into 2 parts. The game clearly delineates itself into 3 story sections: each with their own title, there is a time skip of varying length between each of them (Which is why they have both Fafner and the Heaven and Earth movie as plot important series), and different series come in and out of focus as the plot progresses.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

We are back in Paris, where business lord and Celestial Being Observer Laguna Harvey asks why the hell the oddly named Vladimir ordered R-Daigun to break off from the Trinities. She replies that she never gave him any illusions that her own agenda would be her top priority. He argues that without the Daigun, the Trinities won't complete their upcoming mission, but Johan has already assured her that the three Thrones will be plenty. Or doesn't he trust his own subordinates?

He growls that he owns her company, Zolbrain, and that makes him her employer. Well, that changes things, but while Vladimir will have to march to his tune for now, she can't let this arrogant bastard hold on to the reins of the world in the long run. "The world is accelerating, Dragon's Hive," she thinks. "How will you react?"

Dragon's Hive has no sign of Shinobu, F. S., or Sandman when Tanaka welcomes the returning soldiers home. Jeffrey asks what intel they have on the Imperium, but is taken aback when WILL answers. That's right - it's the Frontier's first time in Dragon's Hive, isn't it? Anyway, WILL reports that the Imperium is holding over the east coast of North America - uncomfortably close to the Britannian capitol of Pendragon. But now that they mention it, they must be there for Chairman Roddick's peace talks. Surely the U. N. isn't thinking of accepting the Imperium as a sovereign nation?

It's ZEUTH's first time meeting WILL too, and Touga asks him if he knows of a way back to their own world. But WILL can only offer the same answer Jeffrey did: our researchers have been hammering at the dimensional walls since the first quake 20 years ago, and only Project Uzume succeeded. Well, almost. There was a successful attempt to cause a dimensional quake a few years ago, but only that, and the experiment backfired and took out the entire laboratory.

This is the first Crowe's heard of it, and for good reason - it was covered up as a failed experiment in energy conversion. We might know it as the Agony of Doha (look it up). The event is well-known in this universe, but the backstory is new to our heroes. WILL, on the other hand, says that these types of secret experiments on dimensional quakes are quite common. So it's not as though humanity has been sitting on its hands for the last twenty years, though there hasn't been much actual progress.

(Tieria knows that Veda knew about all this, but wonders how WILL does too. But then, WILL was good enough to crack Veda's firewalls, so...)

Back on topic, Crowe knows one person who can safely trigger a quake at will. For ZEUTH, getting to him means fighting the Imperium, and either way, that means sticking by us. Besides, Ime Liard is after Crowe's head. ZEUTH asks why, but Crowe doesn't know or care. If they want to find their friends, they'd best stay with us too, since the branch of GOONZ that went to the Dark Continent has the rest of ZEUTH with them. Again, no word on the team from Area 11.

Speaking of the rest of ZEUTH, there's this one black robot... this ZEUTH, too, is shocked to hear that Asakim is alive. Again, the obvious question is if he's an enemy of ZEUTH, but they say the answer is more complicated than that. Asakim switches sides as he sees fit according to his own mysterious goals, and all we can say for sure is that he is one shady rear end in a top hat. There's a good chance that whyever he's back and whatever he's up to is closely connected to the freakish dimension quakes that swallowed ZEUTH into this world.

WILL interrupts to inform us that a dimensional quake has occurred just off the island, and he can confirm some unknowns at the location. It may be ZEUTH, and it's definitely worth checking out. GOONZ away!

Well, I have no better way to introduce all these fuckers at once. Also, it's Aquarion. Please don't expect me to do this all the time.

Where are we?
Dunno why you're asking me.
At minimum, we may safely assume that it is not our universe.
We musta been sucked into that dimensional quake that ate the DEAVA base.
But that quake was highly irregular!
You mean how we were the only ones warped when the base was full of people?
And Aquarion came too...
Almost as if we were hand-picked by some intelligence.
Yeah, yeah, no point sitting around blabbing. Let's dig up some food first.
Is now really the time to be thinking about food?
You need food to live! That's not gonna change if we warp universes!
No, let us seek shelter first. We will only draw danger if we leave Aquarion exposed in the open.
I agree with Sirius. Let's find a place to hide.
Hide? Where? We don't even know where this is.
Then we'll have to search on foot. But let's do it fast.
But I... I'm hungry...
See, toldja. Food first.
And what if someone finds us while we're looking?
I'll deal with it when it happens! I'm going hunting!
Enough, Apollo! I won't allow you to go off alone!
Aw, shut it! I don't have to take your orders!
You have learned nothing.
Waugh!
So the story repeats itself...
Commander Fudo!
I see you were brought with us, Commander.
Yo, pops! Don't scare me like that!
When one stands at the edge, his true character is revealed.
What is yours?
That's...
You lack discipline. You will have to begin anew here.
Commander Fudo, do you know where we are?
No.
Then why are you so calm?
What are you doing right now?
What are we doing? What does that even mean?
Are you living? Or dying?
Living, duh! Can't you see?
You are living. In other words, your answer is that this is where you are living.
Do you need any more?
Wherever you are is where you are living...
You trying to mess with my head again?
You have a long way to go before you can understand the answer.
Let me introduce your guest.

Okay never doing that again. I was going to just introduce the new cast, but then Fudo showed up and :allears:. Speaking of the incomparable Gen, who's his guest?

Oh, it's this fucker! Asakim says he is cursed with such an existence that he is not even allowed to die. It seems Gen didn't meet Asakim until after he got here, to which Asakim just smirks that he's "an Accursed Wanderer like me... and so are all of you."

Once again, Ime butts in to steal Asakim. Once again, Ime wants something from Asakim, and Asakim from Ime. Time for a douche-off!

Chapter 27: The Hunter in Black
(space route)

Ime summons his DAMons, shocking the Aquarion crew.

As Asakim says his cryptic thing again about how the twisted dead are no match for him, Apollo and pals boot up Aquarion.

You said your name is Ime? You stink! You stink just like Asakim!
How rude. To associate me with one branded with the Stigma of a sin against the taiji.
Do you wish to anger me?
And what are you going to do, sic your DAMon things on us too?
Well, now. You have read me like a book.

Asakim isn't interested in Aquarion, but he's glad Apollo knows who to bare his fangs at. Apollo snaps back that it's not over between him and Asakim, and he's still prepared to end Asakim himself. Asakim smirks and replies that he'd truly, honestly love for that to happen, if Apollo is even capable. But Sirius reminds him to focus on the problem at hand. Besides, Fudo called Asakim their guest, and he always has his reasons.

Same poo poo as the Orguss chapter - take out Damons, hold out for GOONZ, and kill MD, who flees on turn 4 or at 5000 HP.

This is Aquarion. I'm not going to go into detail on it just yet, because it's interesting and very complicated and I'm going to give it its own sidebar at some point before the Area 11 route. A few things of note is that yes, the pilots do have Psychic as a skill, and gently caress yes, that is totally an attack with a range of 1-14.

If you don't love the Infinity Punch, you have no soul.

But for getting places fast, we use Aquarion Mars. Unlike with Getter-2 and 3, Luna is as fast as Mars, but it's a shooting Aquarion and Mars has better weapons to close in with.

We can't die before we even find out where this is!
Indeed, Silvia! We must not be cowed by their brutish threats!
Open up, freaks! You're about to get a taste of team Aquarion!

I am the Accursed Wanderer. But I know where to find the key to my salvation.
And this world holds a clue to the Taiji, font of all evil.
I will find... the power to break free of the chains of destiny!

Asakim can have one kill. He is, after all, our guest.

The enemy phase goes as it always does with regular DAMons: lots of pointless moving, and the elites stay put.

And on the second turn, GOONZ arrives!

ZEUTH recognizes Aquarion and its pilots, but wishes it were under better circumstances. And once again, they see that their allies have been forced to join forces with one of their most annoying enemies. Sirius snaps that they have greater concerns at the moment, and Sumeragi orders GOONZ to defend Asakim. Touga and Shinn are absolutely against it, but it's Camille who takes the longer view - whatever else Asakim did to ZEUTH (and to Setsuko Ohara, in particular), he might be their only hope of getting back home.

Speaking of GOONZ, they've noticed that ZEUTH is an alliance of Gundams and a couple of equally weird super robots - basically, a hastily cobbled-together patchwork, much like us.

Crowe has his crosshairs on MD. Apollo claims he was here first and tries to take MD as his own prey, but one look at the fire in Crowe's eyes makes him back off.

But first, Asakim is going to take advantage of that one fed kill by blowing a hole in the DAMon forces. Embrace The Inferno is reasonably priced EN-wise, is huge and powerful, and comes online at only 110 Will. The downside is that it hits allies, too, but there aren't any of those nearby right now.

Combat summarily ensues, and fairly soon, Aquarion's special Element System trait activates. Again, there are several factors to explain what this all means. I'll get to it later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOyLc4prwW8

Also, MOON PUNCH.

How've you been, MD? Looks like you waited so long you've gone old and white.
I don't know or care if you're the King of Destruction's champion or something Ime Liard brought in...
But I'm ending this right here, MD! For my promise to Esther, and for myself too!

In a couple of turns, MD has come out to engage GOONZ, and GOONZ responds with all force. It's nice because in these chapters, you don't have to kill all the soldiers first.

Oh right that's because this happens --

OW THAT HURT WORSE THIS TIME

Same thing happens: Marguerite declares she'll fight in place of Rhinodamon MD, and Ime grants her the privilege.

But, having lost patience with Crowe's failure to do whatever he was planning, he also sends another DAMon to finish the job Marguerite couldn't. Crowe's badly damaged Brasta can't escape...

Hey, you're not done yet, are you?
I thought you and that white thing had business! You gonna die before you can do that?

And out of nowhere, the Brasta recovers.

Heh...
Wha... how did he do that? The Brasta was just dying!
This is...
The energy of the fight for survival... the fundamental power of life! The will to carry on through the greatest of hardships!
And we've got some more for you! Our own power... Aquarion's power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJi5SI0VI8Y

You have brought the flower of life to bloom. Well done.
Yay! Aquarion did it again!
Another totally crazy trick from the Elements!
Wha... what was that? How did it work?
That's just Aquarion. It's hard to explain.
That is not a sensical answer!
But it still happened right before our eyes.
Thanks, uh, Aquarion. I'm back in the game.
If you wanna thank us, just treat us to a meal.
Um... about that...

No but seriously, the Brasta has been restored. Thanks, Aquarion!

Marguerite isn't playing ball, though, so while I'm waiting for her to come over, I decided to take down the Rhinodamons.

Of course, Aquarion can reach Marguerite, so let's make her a little mad.

(This world is my new battlefield.)
(I have already been stripped of my honor and all I was bound to protect. I have nothing left to lose, so let me fall and become a monster.)

And on her next turn, she comes out to the front lines.

That really hurt, you know.
You survived! You stubborn oaf!
Sorry about that. I've got too much money on the line to die here.
Money?! Is that why you fight?
That's about the size of it. I'm not proud of that, but there it is.
You... why must my opponent be such a cur?
Look, I don't know what I did to offend you, but don't forget this is a battlefield! And I don't go easy on women!
Silence! By the pride of an Archsabre, I will not be bested by a wretch like you!

But there's only one way it can ultimately end. She leaves, and so do Asakim and Ime as the same scenario plays out between them. "I will await your awakening, Wavering Scales," says Asakim cryptically on his way out.

The Elements get the summary - of the Birth of Calamity and the dimensional explosion that has been summoning ZEUTH's heroes. And of the Imperium and how its shadow hangs over the entire world. But again, it seems like Ime has forgotten all about Crowe and shifted his attention to Asakim. There's a lot no one knows about Asakim, but there's something ZEUTH knows about his interest in Ime that they aren't telling us, and it has to do with Crowe...

Right now, GOONZ is to rendezvous, and the other members of ZEUTH will be there as well. Ours are looking forward to seeing their friends again, and more importantly, they have a lot to plan for their future in this world.

The Elements introduce themselves, but I'll put that off to go with the rest of Aquarion. But ZEUTH is concerned that out of all of DEAVA, Aquarion's host organization, only those who can pilot the machine - and Fudo Gen - have been transported. But Fudo has disappeared! The man seems to come and go as he pleases in the blink of an eye, so the Elements are certain he's safe, just off taking care of his own business. Maybe he's doing something about Asakim? There's still that "guest" thing, and what Asakim called us - Accursed Wanderers, just like him...

Like ZEUTH, Crowe knows that he's only going to get any answers to the mountain of questions weighing on him - about MD, and about Marguerite - from the Imperium itself.

As he did with Ohtsuka, Elgan orders Tanaka to rendezvous GOONZ in Europe, far away from the summit with Imperium, and warns him not to put any pressure on ZEUTH. He meets with Asakim and hears of the Gundam attack on the Overflag base.

Which also happens.

And Alejandro and Ribbons plot about what to do about GOONZ.

And that's it. We'll meet Aquarion, do Area 11, and then we'll look into just what the deal is with ZEUTH.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah, Aquarion. Say what you will about the show, the characters, or the mech design itself, it has the GREATEST attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Ah, Aquarion. Say what you will about the show, the characters, or the mech design itself, it has the GREATEST attacks.

Footswordcube will forever remain the goofiest loving attack.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

:stare: I think I'm with Tieria on these guys. What the gently caress is Aquarion? Do I need to watch this show?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Viola the Mad posted:

:stare: I think I'm with Tieria on these guys. What the gently caress is Aquarion? Do I need to watch this show?

Yes you do. Right now, in fact.

To give a basic run-down, it's what happens when Shoji Kawamori gets bored: a super robot shows that knows exactly how over the top and nonsensical it is, gives ZERO FUCKS about it, and just rolls along with the fun. With a fantastic soundtrack by Yoko Kanno, to boot.

I love Aquarion so much it's not even funny :allears:

VVVV EVOL's first half is perfectly fine, it's a shame it goes downhill after that. Could have been really good.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 1, 2013

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I really love Aquarion (like everyone sane should!) - it's powerful as gently caress, has three pilots and the ever-wonderful Element System.

Fun fact: You saw how Aquarion's Infinity Punch's dynamic kill punched a mook at the moon, yes? On Z, when Turn A's Gym Gyngham first met Aquarion, he recognized them as those guys that kept punching craters at the moon and it made him pumped to fight them. :v:

Like many ZEUTHers, Aquarion's theme was made a bit different with the switch to the PSP in that it got the synth violin to do the melody - still, I think it works nicely and it's still one of my favorite themes.

Go Tight! is the Aquarion theme that didn't make the cut from the first game; I never used it in place of the main theme but I will admit that it's really drat good.

Viola the Mad posted:

Aquarion is Aquarion, really; feel free to watch it as it's a good anime but prepare your mind for some insanity.

Orgasmic combinations, Fudou's philosophies, sexual and homosexual innuendos everywhere!

Don't watch EVOL, though, as it's crap.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All I have to add is :swoon::allears:~~~~Aquarion~~~:allears::swoon:

It is the greatest loving thing. Also one of the more broken machines in Z1. It's got limited options against squads and basically no MAP attacks, but there's few better options when you need to beat the poo poo out of a boss.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Given that Z has Aquarion and Eureka 7 combined with Turn A and Gundam X, I have to wonder why there weren't more complaints of the former two's love of moon vandalism. Or maybe I just missed them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aquarion's biggest problem (and it isn't really a problem) is that a bunch of its gimmicks are nearly worthless. You CAN switch out the pilots or change to other versions of Aquarion, but Solar Aquarion with the default trio handles pretty much every situation that you can expect to come up. (And at least in Z1, is also the recipient of most of the upgrades, most of which are pilot-locked.)

Z1 helps this a bit by giving you the Vector Aquarion for the other characters to use, but that sadly doesn't show up in Z2.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Viola the Mad posted:

In short: Aquarion is Shoji Kawamori tripping acid on OVERDRIVE. The Mugen Punch is the most sane thing to come from the show. No, I am not making that up; it really is the most sensical thing in the show. Especially when you get to major reveals in the show, and those alone are several levels of :wtc:. Side-note: Sirius is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita, not Takehito Koyasu. A lot of people make that mistake. Like me.

Hellioning posted:

Given that Z has Aquarion and Eureka 7 combined with Turn A and Gundam X, I have to wonder why there weren't more complaints of the former two's love of moon vandalism. Or maybe I just missed them.
I believe when you fight Gym Ghingham in Z1 with Aquarion, he says something along the lines of "You! You're the one who keeps punching the Moon!", but beyond that, not much else gets mentioned.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Fun fact: You saw how Aquarion's Infinity Punch's dynamic kill punched a mook at the moon, yes? On Z, when Turn A's Gym Gyngham first met Aquarion, he recognized them as those guys that kept punching craters at the moon and it made him pumped to fight them. :v:
I think I need to see this. Please tell me other people comment on Aquarion punching the goddamn MOON.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Oh, Aquarion. All I did with it was give it a couple of Morale boosting gear to get it up to 130 will at the start of a mission, Hit and Away, and all the range boosting items I could get a hold of.

1-17 range Mugen Punch every single turn. It was amazing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

Aquarion's biggest problem (and it isn't really a problem) is that a bunch of its gimmicks are nearly worthless. You CAN switch out the pilots or change to other versions of Aquarion, but Solar Aquarion with the default trio handles pretty much every situation that you can expect to come up. (And at least in Z1, is also the recipient of most of the upgrades, most of which are pilot-locked.)

Z1 helps this a bit by giving you the Vector Aquarion for the other characters to use, but that sadly doesn't show up in Z2.

This is quite true, the default Apollo/Sirius/Sylvia combination is basically the best. And abusing the Element System more or less requires you to use only 3 anyways. Pity there was that long stretch in the endgame where Sirius wasn't usable, Pierre wasn't nearly as good a replacement. The MP Aquarions were finicky units but at least you had a use for the other pilots.

As for the Aquarion anime it's weird. My problem with it is that when it was in the first part and doing zany comedy I kept waiting for the plot to get back into focus, and then when the plot started I started to pine for the zany comedy. Though watching it followed by Aquarion EVOL is a hell of a trip, Kawamori clearly didn't give a gently caress and that last reveal about Polon was one of the most insane trolls I've ever witnessed.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Oh, Aquarion. All I did with it was give it a couple of Morale boosting gear to get it up to 130 will at the start of a mission, Hit and Away, and all the range boosting items I could get a hold of.

Reminds me of what I did with @3. I powered on the Ideon Gun with a pair of Range boosters and sat back and out-ranged Keisar Ephes. It's surprisingly easy to cut someone down to size with 16000 power at 17 range.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

This is quite true, the default Apollo/Sirius/Sylvia combination is basically the best. And abusing the Element System more or less requires you to use only 3 anyways. Pity there was that long stretch in the endgame where Sirius wasn't usable, Pierre wasn't nearly as good a replacement.

Oh, how I wept when Sirius left and forced me to use a pilot who was still in his 20s. :negative:

But oh! How I celebrated when he returned and brought Aquarion back to its true moon-punching potential! :haw:

...Wait a sec! Big Z1 endgame spoilers in the tag. Now that I think about it, am I supposed to know where the hell Apollo and Sirius came from? Didn't they vanish with Aquarion and Touma at the end of Z1 when they used Aquarion to merge with the big Dimensional Tree/Coralian thing to help rebuild the world? Or am I just completely misremembering?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 2, 2013

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GilliamYaeger posted:

Apollo was basically my go-to guy for blasting guys I really didn't want in a formation out of it. It's ridiculous how much range and power the Mugen Punch has at times. My only problem with him is that he kinda-sorta zones all the other snipers if you play him that way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Wait a sec! Big Z1 endgame spoilers in the tag. Now that I think about it, am I supposed to know where the hell Apollo and Sirius came from? Didn't they vanish with Aquarion and Touma at the end of Z1 when they used Aquarion to merge with the big Dimensional Tree/Coralian thing to help rebuild the world? Or am I just completely misremembering?
Z Special Disk explains it. They return during the bonus King Gainer XAN mini-campaign and bring back Aquarion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The real Agony of Doha is :psyduck: I had no idea it was a thing that existed. Guess the staff took it really badly, huh?

Concerning Aquarion, I began playing the Rand route in Z1 expecting to have fun with the awesome original, Gainer, Eureka 7, and other carefree funhaving folks. Nothing could have prepared me for Aquarion. I went from thinking the mech was ugly but overpowered to loving every single minute that anything related to Aquarion happened onscreen. Every single event starring (or even co-starring) Aquarion is amazing.

The show is hit or miss though, but it is definitely out there. I mean the (kinda-sorta vague spoilers) quality of the animation is a plot point. If you don't think that is crazy then I don't know what to tell you.

• Locked thread