Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRanTer posted:

You have to remember that Bischoff was initially inspired by seeing the first UWFi vs NJPW dome show. The idea behind that rivalry was it was promotion vs promotion, that the real pro wrestlers were taking on the fake pro wrestlers. NJPW even kept UWFi around as a seperate promotion for awhile even though the whole reason the feud came about was UWFi was no longer viable. So the blueprint was there and it seems plausible that making the nWo its own thing would add to the overall feud, especially if Sting was taking the title. Granted, I have no idea how the nWo would work as its own show. I can see how it would work for one PPV a year, maybe, but its own show, no.

If it were a one hour syndicated show similar to WCW Pro/Worldwide, on obscure local channels, maybe at a later timeslot, just featuring NWO guys beating up jobbers and featuring WCW and NWO guys cutting promos, I could see it having a chance of working as a supplementary thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

John Cena posted:

If it were a one hour syndicated show similar to WCW Pro/Worldwide, on obscure local channels, maybe at a later timeslot, just featuring NWO guys beating up jobbers and featuring WCW and NWO guys cutting promos, I could see it having a chance of working as a supplementary thing.

Yeah, this could've worked. Especially since they could ideally drop a syndicated show at any time once it stopped being relevant and not too many people would be upset about it. The notion of rebranding Nitro as the nWo show, which implies that Bischoff wanted that to be the main brand and WCW the "B" show, was pretty ridiculous and the largely negative reaction to his attempt at it proves that.

Of course, the fact that nWo Nitro was basically a Bischoff and Hogan bromance story didn't help either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
nWo Worldwide wouldn't have the same noxious green glow. I'd miss it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Weren't there a couple episodes of nWo saturday night? Theres a match in the nWo DVd with Nash/Hall commentating with a handheld camera in black and white.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
There were some nWo Saturday Night segments on WCW Saturday Night but not full-blown episodes as far as I know.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The NWO already had its own talk show what more do you people want?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oatgan posted:

The NWO already had its own talk show what more do you people want?

Them wasting part of the go home nitro on taking apart the Nitro set

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They would have had to get rid of Thunder for a NWO show to not feel redundant and stupid.

Though WE'RE OUT OF TIME SEE YOU ON NW- wouldn't have had the same ring to it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRanTer posted:

nWo Worldwide wouldn't have the same noxious green glow. I'd miss it.
Worldwide was the WCWest show.
It was full of Nitro recaps but always 2+ weeks behind.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
The more I look into it, it seems that WCW really hit the jackpot with the nWo. That, combined with stuff like the cruiserweights and a talented midcard (remember Raven's debut and his feuds with DDP over the US title?) got them on a roll. Then Bischoff went on an ego trip and wanted to be a TV star, gave the nWo too much of everything, the cruiserweights and the mid card went nowhere, people started to jump ship and everything tanked. Yeah?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rad R. posted:

The more I look into it, it seems that WCW really hit the jackpot with the nWo. That, combined with stuff like the cruiserweights and a talented midcard (remember Raven's debut and his feuds with DDP over the US title?) got them on a roll. Then Bischoff went on an ego trip and wanted to be a TV star, gave the nWo too much of everything, the cruiserweights and the mid card went nowhere, people started to jump ship and everything tanked. Yeah?

WCW could have survived all of its worst booking if it had its finances in order.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

WCW could have survived all of its worst booking if it had its finances in order.

That's the problem with having an infinite bankroll at your disposal, you have no incentive to try and keep things profitable and if the gravy train stops then you're beyond screwed. Even if Fusient (god that's such a dot-com bubble name) had bought out WCW I don't think there would have been much of a chance that they could turn it around in a timely manner while still keeping it at a national level.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

That's what irks me about the people who say "Bischoff was coming back to save the company!". No. No he wouldn't have because he wouldn't have been able to run it the way he was. He literally knew of no other way to run a company other than by throwing a metric gently caress-ton of money at everything.

However, you could maybe argue that his business partners would've sent someone in to make sure that never happened again. But by then the damage had been done. The Russo era had hosed everything so much that it was all just largely worthless (Reminder, during the Russo era Tank Abbot was champion). I know that WCW would've taken a hiatus and come back after a few months with a new Nitro (Hell their website still says they will) but there's no way they would've got the company anywhere near where it was. At best it would've been TNA.

Here's a weird thought. Vince doesn't do anything with the WCW name anymore so could someone conceivably buy it back?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Was Abbott ever champ? I'm drawing a blank.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

The Russo era had hosed everything so much that it was all just largely worthless (Reminder, during the Russo era Tank Abbot was champion).

He could have been, but he wasn't a champ yet. Russo got fired before Tank became champ.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
The big problem with the whole "Bischoff was going to come back and save WCW" narrative is that it forgets that it was Bischoff's trademark/copyright-violating antics that got Vince awarded "right of first refusal" of any WCW sale in the first drat place. If he hadn't done poo poo like deliberately confusing audiences (that weren't "smark" audiences) as to whether or not Hall and Nash were with the WWF or not, Vince wouldn't have been able to come right back a second time (after he was forced to drop his first attempt when WCW was still on Turner TV) and scoop it up.

And keep in mind that Bischoff did those sorts of things after he had been explicitly warned by Turner legal not to do them. But it sure was worth it just so he could have Madusa drop the WWF Women's title in a trash can, wasn't it? :v:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Zack_Gochuck posted:

No, but that was part of Russo's plan right before he was fired.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Rodney the Piper posted:

No, but that was part of Russo's plan right before he was fired.

Wasn't Russo's reasoning for this that nobody would see it coming? Because nobody cared about Abbott and he was a complete failure at connecting with the fans so naturally he's the choice for your world champ.

Now that I think about it, wasn't all of Russo's reasoning that no one would expect it? Caught in that endless loop of trying to work the smarks who, by definition, are really hard to work while confusing those who don't know or care about backstage stuff.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DrVenkman posted:

Here's a weird thought. Vince doesn't do anything with the WCW name anymore so could someone conceivably buy it back?
He sure does do things with the WCW name.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Wasn't Russo's reasoning for this that nobody would see it coming? Because nobody cared about Abbott and he was a complete failure at connecting with the fans so naturally he's the choice for your world champ.

Now that I think about it, wasn't all of Russo's reasoning that no one would expect it? Caught in that endless loop of trying to work the smarks who, by definition, are really hard to work while confusing those who don't know or care about backstage stuff.

That, and "but look at the ratings! Look what was on the cover of newspapers! Look at what was on ESPN! Look what was on Entertainment Tonight@" and the like, ignoring that it was mostly people saying "look at how stupid these people are."

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

rotinaj posted:

He could have been, but he wasn't a champ yet. Russo got fired before Tank became champ.

And yet not before Russo made HIMSELF the champ.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Tank had a ton of natural charisma and was one of the biggest stars in the early days of UFC. I wouldn't fault him for not connecting naturally.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's too bad the 3 Count thing didn't come until WCW was on death's door, because Tank was legitimately funny as their superfan.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Conversely, had their product not fallen off a cliff, they still would've been profitable in '99 like they were in '98.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This is less about WCW being a hosed up company but I was listen to The Old School Wrestling Podcast and they did a recap of Halloween Havoc 96 (I think) and I had no idea that they were offering a Real Audio feed of the event. As much as I'd love to hear those now I think it's fair to say they were probably lost to the world but did anyone, for some reason, ever listen to an event that way?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

This is less about WCW being a hosed up company but I was listen to The Old School Wrestling Podcast and they did a recap of Halloween Havoc 96 (I think) and I had no idea that they were offering a Real Audio feed of the event. As much as I'd love to hear those now I think it's fair to say they were probably lost to the world but did anyone, for some reason, ever listen to an event that way?
I did. It was free, and I didn't have an addressable converter, so even though we had cable, we couldn't order PPV. They did a free video one for Halloween Havoc two years later that I watched too. Thumbnail sized, timed in the seconds-per-frame, and commentated by Bob Ryder, Mark Madden, and Chad Damiani.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Back then I didn't have money so I just put the TV onto the scrambled PPV and just listened to the audio of the event.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

1st AD posted:

Back then I didn't have money so I just put the TV onto the scrambled PPV and just listened to the audio of the event.

:respek:

Fond memories of listening to Kevin Nash win World War 3 '98 in what I'm sure was a terrible match.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I did that for whatever Wrestlemania Taker first fought HHH. WCW PPV audio never seemed to come through.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Scramblevision was the best. Used that for almost every PPV from 89-92.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My fondest memory of scramblevision was watching Badd Blood, and only getting to hear the terror in JR's voice (I believe it was him) as Kane walked down and tore open the cell. I think it made that event that much better by not actually seeing what Kane looked like.

I also had it unscramble for some PPV in 2002 or 2003, where Angle faced Benoit. It was the one where they got a standing ovation after the match, but I am pretty positive it wasn't the Royal Rumble. Maybe Unforgiven?

Actually, now that I think of it, I remember one Christmas morning (or Boxing Day?) where TSN showed a full WCW PPV from the year before. I still have no idea what that happened, but it was a really cool surprise.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Twin Cinema posted:

My fondest memory of scramblevision was watching Badd Blood, and only getting to hear the terror in JR's voice (I believe it was him) as Kane walked down and tore open the cell. I think it made that event that much better by not actually seeing what Kane looked like.

Holy poo poo I remember that same moment!

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

The American Dream posted:

Holy poo poo I remember that same moment!

I watched it, like most WWF shows in the late 90s, on Deutsches Sportfernsehen. Grew up in Croatia, so that was my cable TV. Today it's called Sport1, and it's a German sports channel, so I didn't hear Ross, I heard a German dude channeling Ross. But it was a cool channel. They aired WCW and WWF shows, edited and with a three week delay, but they also had an original weekly show which introduced me to ECW, Smokey Mountain, NWA, lots of Japanese and Mexican stuff... I'm mentioning all of this because they even had an nWo commentator, who turned about the same time as Bischoff. This is also the channel where I watched WCW Saturday Night, and to this day, I only watched that show in German. All these shows were on late at night, which means they wouldn't show toy commercials, but 'sexy hot lines', including a recurring one with a S&M grandma in leather.
But hey, I learned basic German that way.

And I used Real Player whenever I could. 180p memories. I actually still have some RM videos with stuff like Jericho's WWF debut.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

We having a nitro party tonight?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

We having a nitro party tonight?

Yep! Details coming in a bit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LividLiquid posted:

I did that for whatever Wrestlemania Taker first fought HHH.

'Mania 27?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight is a Nitro Party double header!!! http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport 8 PM! RIC FLAIR VS THE GIANT FOR THE BELT! JERRY LYNN VS KONNAN FOR ANOTHER BELT.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rad R. posted:

Today it's called Sport1, and it's a German sports channel, so I didn't hear Ross, I heard a German dude channeling Ross.

So what's BAH GAWD KING IT'S STONE COLD in German?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mein Gott ist es Steinkälte!