Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Phobophilia posted:

Eren is a reasonable sized anime 15 year old, but you're telling me that he was 12 when the training arc began!?

Yes, I know, teenagers went to war all the time, but even then the bulk of armies (and especially the veterans) were usually older.

And wow, didn't expect Mikasa to outweigh Eren. But that could be my internalised sexism speaking.

Minimum age for recruits is 12, yes. Anybody pressured in by their family, or joining for near-insanity like Eren, will sign up right away. It's also why training lasts for years, before the recruits officially join the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Schubalts posted:

It's also why training lasts for years, before the recruits officially join the military.

Also, anime physics or no, I imagine 3d gear takes a lot of training to use like they do in the show. Though come to think of it, it might be the kind of thing that's best learned young (assuming you don't mind a portion of your child soldier trainees going home in bodybags).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bremen posted:

Also, anime physics or no, I imagine 3d gear takes a lot of training to use like they do in the show. Though come to think of it, it might be the kind of thing that's best learned young (assuming you don't mind a portion of your child soldier trainees going home in bodybags).

Didn't Eren explicitly say that "We survived training! Others died, more were sent home or fled! But we survived training, and we'll survive this" to Jean?

So yeah, it seems like it's a skill set that they pick up or die trying.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I imagine being the dude that has to scrape recruits off the walls of the training yard aint' the best gig.

...but at least its beat being eaten by giants :v:

"I want to join the Wallscraper Legion!"

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

I imagine being the dude that has to scrape recruits off the walls of the training yard aint' the best gig.

...but at least its beat being eaten by giants :v:

"I want to join the Wallscraper Legion!"

I just assume it's Hannes' job, as part of fixing the walls.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Wow, this week's episode.

The weirdly feral titan punching another titan's head off so hard that his hand disintegrated was pretty awesome.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
Holy poo poo, holy loving poo poo.

This episode just rocked me so hard man, i fist pumped so many times.

EDIT- best anime for 2000 loving FOREVER!

Powerstone fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 18, 2013

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I don't care what anybody says Mikasa is so loving goddamn cool.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HelloWinter posted:

Wow, this week's episode.

The weirdly feral titan punching another titan's head off so hard that his hand disintegrated was pretty awesome.

That was the best scene.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Did that scene remind anyone else of Jurassic Park? Particularly that yell.

Now I want to see a redubbed version.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp, congrats guys. They pulled off the episode I was most afraid they would possibly gently caress up. You're in for a hell of a ride.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah, this is loving amazing. I'm flabbergasted at how well they pulled that off, I was GIDDY with how well that scene played out.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I was very pleased by the noise the titan made, lived up to my hopes from the manga.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If the next episode doesn't devote half its time to Sasha I'm out.

You will not like the next episode. Not one bit.

e:next week's that is

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Can we avoid the "Boy, wait until you see what happens next!" pseudo spoilers in this thread? If you really want to talk about it, there's a manga thread.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
herpaderp

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 19, 2013

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Vengarr posted:

Did that scene remind anyone else of Jurassic Park? Particularly that yell.

Now I want to see a redubbed version.

Reminded me more of Eva Unit 01.

Hurry up and get in the drat robot titan, Shinji Eren.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
Or are they?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bremen posted:

Can we avoid the "Boy, wait until you see what happens next!" pseudo spoilers in this thread? If you really want to talk about it, there's a manga thread.

To be fair it's not much of a spoiler since pretty much every episode is going to be like that.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
Is this the first instance of titans making any sort of vocalizations? For some reason I remember them being eerily silent and suddenly this episode has them roaring like the Tank from Left 4 Dead.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well it would stand to reason they would only do a battle cry when in a fight and every other time humanity faces them they're just feeding. Titans never really fight humans, they're either feeding on them or dead in one sudden slice.

I'm 99.99% sure that the Titan-killing Titan is Eren, and since Titans seem to have some sort of "human sense" they can probably sense him as a threat and go on the offensive but since they're fighting an actual opponent, it's an actual fight where a roar would make sense.

It makes sense in my head at least.

edit: spoiled my speculation. I haven't read the manga or anything though so in case my guess is right I don't want to ruin it for anyone

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 19, 2013

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I'm a fuckshit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
EDIT: Nevermind.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 19, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sindai posted:

This is the anime thread. Please edit that out. :(

Yea I agree, please don't spoil the fact that this is an Evangelion prequel guys, THANKS in advance.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Bah gawd as my witness, he's been broken in half! :bahgawd:

Literally stealing the spotlight:

This episode had some drat good direction.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Mikasa's last statement is a bit too blatant in analyzing what just happened, but it was so well done it does not detract from the scene at all. That was vindication so satisfying in a level I had not seen since Evangelion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Ever since the animation was announced, I've been waiting for this episode.
The scene when the titan takes a boxing stance is quite good.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I'm guessing that Titan was Eren and that eaten people do become Titans. However, due to Eren's dad injecting him with something, Eren was able to have some control after being reincarnated. Perhaps the Titans were created by the people (perhaps a nation developed it for military reasons but it backfired) and Eren's dad has done research on it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zettace posted:

I'm guessing that Titan was Eren and that eaten people do become Titans. However, due to Eren's dad injecting him with something, Eren was able to have some control after being reincarnated. Perhaps the Titans were created by the people (perhaps a nation developed it for military reasons but it backfired) and Eren's dad has done research on it.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking too, and I'm sure we'll be told about it in the next episode since the preview promised a revelation that's "more shocking" than a titan killing other titans. There's just way too many hints pointing towards the injection giving Eren that ability that it would just be a really weird fakeout if the titan was something unrelated.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like there was perhaps a little too much monologuing, but it was otherwise a fantastic episode, I really love how they handled everything. The Titan-on-Titan combat was just so amazingly animated.

Vengarr posted:

Bah gawd as my witness, he's been broken in half! :bahgawd:

Literally stealing the spotlight:

This episode had some drat good direction.

Thank you for these gifs, now to stare at them for the next few hours.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 19, 2013

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Wow the animation in this episode was pretty fantastic.

They nailed the look of the rage titan as well.

HOWL!http://imgur.com/tY2wNEx

Zasze fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 19, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
I'm really hoping that the animation budget holds up. The Titan on titan stuff looked good but I couldn't help but notice some animation shortcuts.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

They're clearly adapting because the stillframe shots seem a little more deliberate and touched-up, so they're moving the priorities around.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Rei_ posted:

They're clearly adapting because the stillframe shots seem a little more deliberate and touched-up, so they're moving the priorities around.

I'm glad they're putting their priorities straight, I would have hated to see a worse-animated version of the titan vs titan fight just so we have less stills in the rest of the episode.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a theory on how titans come to be:
It's been mentioned that meat is hard to come by before but it kind of seemed weird to me that no ones mentioned eating a titan. They're never regarded as humans, only human like in appearance, so i would imagine a cannibalism taboo need not apply. I think that maybe titans are made from people who try to eat titan meat. As to how Eren is probably the new titan, while he was in the stomach of the titan that ate him, I would imagine his "fighting spirit" would cause him to go down fighting to the last breath, and bite.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
You know this show is hype as hell when nobody in the thread even mentions the guy who shot himself in the face.

Not that it was a big deal but drat, it was done so nonchalantly.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think everyone probably saw it coming. I'd probably do the same myself if there was no other choice. With that said: He wasn't in any immediate danger. Dude should have waited longer for help.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, random question not directly related to the episode: When does an OST come out for this show? Seriously, the opening (hurry the gently caress up July 10th release date for the full song! :argh:) is not just the only good piece of music in this show. Also, who was the composer for the show again? Because he or she is loving great with music choices for this show.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zasze posted:

Wow the animation in this episode was pretty fantastic.

They nailed the look of the rage titan as well.

HOWL!http://imgur.com/tY2wNEx

Are they doing 1 chapter per episode?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SpartanIV posted:

I have a theory on how titans come to be:
It's been mentioned that meat is hard to come by before but it kind of seemed weird to me that no ones mentioned eating a titan. They're never regarded as humans, only human like in appearance, so i would imagine a cannibalism taboo need not apply. I think that maybe titans are made from people who try to eat titan meat. As to how Eren is probably the new titan, while he was in the stomach of the titan that ate him, I would imagine his "fighting spirit" would cause him to go down fighting to the last breath, and bite.

You can't eat a titan because their bodies basically evaporate away when you kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HoneyBoy posted:

You know this show is hype as hell when nobody in the thread even mentions the guy who shot himself in the face.

Not that it was a big deal but drat, it was done so nonchalantly.

I guess he was just loading a muzzle loading gun, but it looked like he was cleaning it up real nice just to shoot himself. Don't want the last thing you taste to be a dirty gun after all.

• Locked thread