Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
From outside the walls, of course. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
Also from Canada and 6'3". People around my height aren't common per se, but we aren't rare either.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Depending on where you live in the US, 6+ feet can be fairly average. In every group of friends I've ever had, the five-nine guy was the short man while everyone else had several inches on them.

There is literally nowhere in the US where 6+ feet can be considered average. There is nowhere in the entire world where that is the case, although Scandinavia and the Netherlands come close. Must be something in all the North Atlantic fish. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 18, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There is literally nowhere in the US where 6+ feet can be considered average. There is nowhere in the entire world where that is the case, although Scandinavia and the Netherlands come close. Must be something in all the North Atlantic fish. :v:

Back in high school I was actually one of the shorter kids in school at around 6' (I'm 6'2" now). The entire high school was like that. Probably close to 80% of the students were crazy tall, 10% were more "average", and 10% were some kind of mouse-people that almost literally scurried between the legs of giants.

So yeah, apparently the mountains do that? Then again there's supposedly a lot of radiation in that area, so maybe that's it. gently caress if I know.

Edit: Notably I'm not saying it's the actual average, just that in my age group and class, the average height was much higher than the official average.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AnonSpore posted:

As mentioned in the anime thread, people aren't benefiting from modern medicine and first-world diets so it's a fair bet that in the setting of the world people like Reiner are much taller than average.

Could Reiner and Berthold's being slightly taller be a hint that they did grow up with medicine and a good diet? If they truly did come from outside the wall, the people they came from might retain some modern knowledge.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Could Reiner and Berthold's being slightly taller be a hint that they did grow up with medicine and a good diet? If they truly did come from outside the wall, the people they came from might retain some modern knowledge.

Kind of hard to say, given that Annie's absolutely tiny, whilst Ymir (who appears to have spent much of her life as a feral renegade) is a pretty big girl.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Also Erwin Smith is tall as hell too, and he's too high up in the military to have come in when the walls fell.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Autumncomet posted:

What countries are you guys from that over six feet is "fairly average size," honest question?

Holland!

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Kind of hard to say, given that Annie's absolutely tiny, whilst Ymir (who appears to have spent much of her life as a feral renegade) is a pretty big girl.

Must be because people are full of protein and essential vitamins.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Schwarzwald posted:

I think it's a little much to go with nutrition and medicine as reasons for most of the characters being shorter and lighter than we expected. Armin and Connie are surprisingly short, but the weights and heights of everyone is consistent with a group of 15-17 year old athletes. It's just that they're all wrestlers, except Reiner and Bertolt who play football/basketball.

Christa is a total shrimp, though it can't really be due to nutrition since she was born into one of the most powerful families in the country. Annie's also a little on the short side, but not drastically so, and still heavier than you'd expect. The other women all fall into perfectly reasonable athletic builds.

Also Rivaille has got to be shredded at shorter than Armin but weighing as much as Jean.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Breaky posted:

Holland!

This elaborate wikipedia page says you win. And that the average male american is 5'10"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

Well, I'm apparently the same exact height and weight as Eren, so screw you, giants.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So here's a thing: the BD's of volume 3 and 6 of the anime are going to be packaged with a Shingeki no Kyojin visual novel developed by Nitro+, AKA the guys who did the Fate/Zero LN and Saya no Uta. There are four (five?) stories included:

1. Lost in the cruel world (Mikasa side story)
2. Choice with no regrets (story about Levi and Erwin's past)
Disc 2:
1. Choice with no regrets (Part 2?)
2. (no title yet, but it might as well be called "Fujoshi give us your money") (Eren and Levi story)
3. Wall Sina, Goodbye (Annie story)

I'm pretty excited for all of those, but especially Annie's story. More Annie works for me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Vengarr posted:

So here's a thing: the BD's of volume 3 and 6 of the anime are going to be packaged with a Shingeki no Kyojin visual novel developed by Nitro+, AKA the guys who did the Fate/Zero LN and Saya no Uta. There are four (five?) stories included:

1. Lost in the cruel world (Mikasa side story)
2. Choice with no regrets (story about Levi and Erwin's past)
Disc 2:
1. Choice with no regrets (Part 2?)
2. (no title yet, but it might as well be called "Fujoshi give us your money") (Eren and Levi story)
3. Wall Sina, Goodbye (Annie story)

I'm pretty excited for all of those, but especially Annie's story. More Annie works for me.

The first BD is only going to have a preview for Erwin and Levi's story. That's why there's two of them.

vvv: Well, yes? Did you think I just pulled that out of my rear end? :confused:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 18, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

AnonSpore posted:

The first BD is only going to have a preview for Erwin and Levi's story. That's why there's two of them.

So it would seem.

e: Hah, the character designer/artist is that guy who constantly draws pictures of Mikasa's rear end. This should be...interesting...?

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 18, 2013

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
A video game is being developed too eh?

I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

On one hand flying across the landscape with the 3ds gear would be fantastic, and trying to get an angle to cut a Titan's neck out would definitely be challenging.

On the other hand I can see this going kinda poorly if not handled right.

Still really confused at the live adaptation movie. Is it just going to be a Japan thing and not get released over here?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Vengarr posted:

So it would seem.

e: Hah, the character designer/artist is that guy who constantly draws pictures of Mikasa's rear end. This should be...interesting...?

He does what.

Oh good, because that totally worked out for Gargantia.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Vengarr posted:

At least he'll enjoy the work!

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

On one hand flying across the landscape with the 3ds gear would be fantastic, and trying to get an angle to cut a Titan's neck out would definitely be challenging.

You don't really have to worry at all about that stuff since it's going to be a visual novel. Visual novels could generally be improved by changing locations via 3D gear, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ok, the other titan trying to have a yell off with Eren Titan was funny as poo poo in this episode. Kind of disappointed though since I just always pictured Eren's Titan form as white and black instead of flesh colored like the rest of them. Like someone did their whole body in corpse paint.

Edit: The entire run of the anime is going to be me thinking they're making the Titan conspirators look to obvious, isn't it?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 19, 2013

Bob Moog sex tape
Aug 26, 2004

This comic is just too awesome.

One thing I missed the first time through in Volume 3, Chapter 10, is that Eren's dad gave him the injection and the key after wall Maria had already fell. There is a possibility that he could even be kicking around somewhere.

Anyways, his dad met up with him, and I don't know if the scene with his dad being full of trees and leaves as just being a dramatic setting or if it could be some kind of foreshadowing. We don't actually know where the Human Titan's home village is yet, but maybe it could actually be somewhere inside of the forest? It could just be dramatic scenery though, Annie's flashback in Volume 8 Chapter 33 does not take place in the forest, or there is a possibility that the imagery could be telling us something else entirely.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I always expected Eren's titan form to just be shaded more like an actual human body instead of the weird fleshy translucent texture that the other titans have.

Anyone else check several times to see what thread they're posting in to make sure they don't drop this poo poo in the anime thread by accident?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Anyone else check several times to see what thread they're posting in to make sure they don't drop this poo poo in the anime thread by accident?

All the time.

Anyone care to offer an opinion on what exactly the pomegranate was all about? The knife imagery in the manga was pretty clear cut but I've got no idea what the pomegranate they put in the anime is supposed to mean.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Wow, seeing if the anime thread is going to get spoiled or not is almost as suspenseful as reading the manga for the first time!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I guess I didn't notice it the first time because it had no significance yet, but Reiner, Bernholdt, and Annie talking about ~titan stuff~ while the only member of their squad who's a normal human just kinda freaks out is golden. I had to go back and take a look at the manga to make sure that wasn't some weird addition to the anime, but sure enough, it's there verbatim.

I hope that Eren-titan gets some sprucing up for the commercial release, because he just seemed kinda off, like he was missing proper shading or something, but like I said in the anime thread, his titan roar certainly lived up to expectations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

AnonSpore posted:

All the time.

Anyone care to offer an opinion on what exactly the pomegranate was all about? The knife imagery in the manga was pretty clear cut but I've got no idea what the pomegranate they put in the anime is supposed to mean.

There's a Buddhist myth about a child-devouring ogress who was convinced by the Buddha to eat pomegranates instead of human flesh. And apparently, there's a further Buddhist urban legend that pomegranates taste like human flesh as a result.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

devilmaydry posted:

Wow, seeing if the anime thread is going to get spoiled or not is almost as suspenseful as reading the manga for the first time!

It's already toeing the line, or over it depending on how you look at it. I'm sort of reminded of the Dark Souls LP thread where people seemed inexplicably compelled to drop constant coy "I can't wait till you see the you know what in the you know where *eyebrow waggle, nudge, wink*" type comments, get probated, then start the whole cycle over a week later.

Vengarr posted:

There's a Buddhist myth about a child-devouring ogress who was convinced by the Buddha to eat pomegranates instead of human flesh. And apparently, there's a further Buddhist urban legend that pomegranates taste like human flesh as a result.

I'm aware, but what does that have to do with Mikasa and her flashback to Eren?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
From the anime thread:

Sindai posted:

This is the anime thread. Please edit that out. :(

Just for the record, quoting something speculation sounding and saying "this is a spoiler, edit it out" can be a lot worse than letting it stand. I think he was just comparing the similarity in scenes, but saying it's a spoiler will make people think there's more to it.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

The guy who made the Eva reference hasn't posted in the manga thread at all or anything. He was just linking the EVA tearing poo poo up to the titan tearing poo poo up. If no one says anything, I'm pretty sure anime watchers will just think it's a belabored reference.

Or message him so he can edit it out if it really bothers you. Instead of posting explicitly in the thread you want to stay unspoiled.

e;fb

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

AnonSpore posted:

I'm aware, but what does that have to do with Mikasa and her flashback to Eren?

Most Titans eat human flesh, but this one doesn't? I'm sure it'll make more sense in hindsight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bob Moog sex tape posted:

This comic is just too awesome.

One thing I missed the first time through in Volume 3, Chapter 10, is that Eren's dad gave him the injection and the key after wall Maria had already fell. There is a possibility that he could even be kicking around somewhere.

Anyways, his dad met up with him, and I don't know if the scene with his dad being full of trees and leaves as just being a dramatic setting or if it could be some kind of foreshadowing. We don't actually know where the Human Titan's home village is yet, but maybe it could actually be somewhere inside of the forest? It could just be dramatic scenery though, Annie's flashback in Volume 8 Chapter 33 does not take place in the forest, or there is a possibility that the imagery could be telling us something else entirely.

What if Annie's flashback is basically her version of Eren sitting in a room in his bliss state, but either A: the dude saying that is in her dream, or B: someone's been brainwashing them while they're in titan training mode? Like...I dunno...when they were practicing(assuming they needed to) turning into titans, and someone was doing similar things like Armin did with Eren, but considerably...less heroic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Most Titans eat human flesh, but this one doesn't? I'm sure it'll make more sense in hindsight.

Maybe. It just seems really unnecessary when the broken blade was a perfectly good image to initiate a good flashback.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's a perfectly reasonable assumption that Eren is the Titan given that people were speculating that people eaten by Titans become Titans and were convinced that Eren wasn't actually dead already in the Anime thread. Especially given the prolonged Eren motivating Mikasa thought scene immediately preceding her getting saved by a Titan that clearly hates other Titans.

But hey, why just ignore spot on speculation posts when you can make it clear to everyone that they're right?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gyges posted:

It's a perfectly reasonable assumption that Eren is the Titan given that people were speculating that people eaten by Titans become Titans and were convinced that Eren wasn't actually dead already in the Anime thread. Especially given the prolonged Eren motivating Mikasa thought scene immediately preceding her getting saved by a Titan that clearly hates other Titans.

But hey, why just ignore spot on speculation posts when you can make it clear to everyone that they're right?

I wasn't even aware it was supposed to be a secret. Reading the manga as soon as we saw Titeren I realized it was him, no spoilers involved. Just went "Oh, hey, now he's a Titan, cool." And then enjoyed him wrecking poo poo. I wrote off nobody figuring it out in-universe as them not being keen on shonen hero trends.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's not really a secret, because the clues are multitude. Still it's not obvious either.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Vengarr posted:

Actually that does bring up that none of the Human titians have eaten-eaten anybody only held them in their mouths. So eating humans isn't a driving need for them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I never noticed the split-level teeth that Eren's titan form had in the manga.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Actually that does bring up that none of the Human titians have eaten-eaten anybody only held them in their mouths. So eating humans isn't a driving need for them.

Bethold-Titan ate someone if I remember correctly.

vv ah, okay vv

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 19, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

devilmaydry posted:

Bethold-Titan ate someone if I remember correctly.

He tossed in an extra guy with Ymir, but was only holding him with Ymir until dispelling(?) his Titan form. Stole the dude's 3D Gear and left him to hit the ground.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SirDan3k posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been said at least a couple times in the manga, that there's literally no reason for the titans to eat people. They have no actual need to do it, and as we've seen with the Human-Titans they're more than capable of killing in conventional means. Eating seems to be an entirely psychological warfare thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Excelsiortothemax posted:

A video game is being developed too eh?

I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

Still really confused at the live adaptation movie. Is it just going to be a Japan thing and not get released over here?
I wrote an article about a theoretical Attack on Titan game if you're interested. The game would have a lot of potential but would also be easy to screw up and turn into a dumb anime shovelware game. It depends on who's making it.