Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is an action game along the lines of Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, developed by both Kojima Productions and Platinum Games. It's pretty much the best game ever because you can throw snakes at the faces of guys and they wrassle with 'em cut a man into a thousand pieces and then tear out his cyborg spine and eat it.

This game was originally titled Metal Gear Solid: Rising and was going to be an open world game that took place between Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 and would explain how Raiden came to become a cyborg and how he rescued Sunny from the Patriots. The game was being worked on by a new team formed in Kojima Productions. Kojima had hoped to eventually pass the Metal Gear series on to them so he could work on other games, but the team could not agree on a unified vision for the game. It was canned after a few years of work until Platinum Games was brought into the mix. They retooled the game into a fast-paced action game along the line of their other games, like Bayonetta and Vanquish. At this point the game was renamed Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and the game was moved to take place four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4 in order to distance itself from the absurd amount of continuity going on in the main Metal Gear Solid series.

Revengeance may be a spin-off series, but it is still canon. The events of this game are loosely tied to previous games in the series, but you do not need to know too much about the series to appreciate this game's plot. All you really need to know is that there was a big group of AIs known as The Patriots running the world, and then Raiden helped destroy them. Oh, and there was some guy named "Solid Snake" or something.

:siren:THREAD ADVICE:siren:
1) I would really appreciate it if people keep future plot points/bosses/set pieces/songs unspoiled, because this game is fuckin' nuts and going into this game fresh is amazing.
2) I would also appreciate it if people do not quote any of the game's memorable/funny lines until they happen because this game is crazy.
3) Be very, very careful watching these videos if you watch them directly on Youtube. Tons and tons of people have posted the songs/cutscenes for the final boss of this game and almost all of the videos have a picture of the final boss right in the thumbnail of the video. Some of them also have the name of the final boss in the title. So just never look at the related videos.

VIDEOS
Metal Gear Rising #1-1: Rules of Nature.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #1-2: Art of the Parry
The Truth Behind Rising (Documentary)
Metal Gear Rising #2-1: Dark Skies.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #2-2: I'm My Own Master Now.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #2-3: Combat Primer Vol 1
Metal Gear Rising #2-4: Splatter Films (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #3-1: Hammerhead.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #3-2: The Stranger (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #4-1: Battlecoins.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #4-2: A Stranger I Remain.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #4-3: Sword of Justice (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #5-1: Mariachi.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #5-2: Ze Accent (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #6-1: DOOMP.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #6-2: USB.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #6-3: Dnipropetrovsk (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #7-1: Return to Ashes.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #7-2: Mile High.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #7-3: Monsoon (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #8-1: Thumbs Up.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #8-2: Combat Primer Vol. 2
Metal Gear Rising #8-3: MECS (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #9-1: The Stains of Time.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #9-2: Cut-off Consciousness (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #10-1: Hostile Take Over.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #10-2: Dog-shaped Robot Buddy (VR)
Metal Gear Rising #11-1: Lift Battle.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #11-2: Red Sun.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #11-3: Memes (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #12-1: Escape from Denver.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #12-2: The Only Thing I Know for Real.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #12-3: No Damage
Metal Gear Rising #12-4: E-books (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #13-1: C3PO.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #13-2: Collective Consciousness.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #13-3: AT Corp
Metal Gear Rising #14-1: It Has to Be This Way.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #14-2: And he took no damage.
Metal Gear Rising #14-3: Kill Him (Codec)
Metal Gear Rising #14-4: Combat Primer Vol. 3 + VR Missions
Metal Gear Rising #15-1: The Desert Storm.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #15-2: The Hot Wind Blowing.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #15-3: Unlockables
Metal Gear Rising #16-1: Minuano.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #16-2: Sensei Cat.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #16-3: VR Gauntlet
Metal Gear Rising #17-1: Final Interview.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #17-2: VR Hell

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I should mention that Kojima is barely involved with this game at all. He didn't write any of the story to this game. He's been working on The Phantom Pain this whole time instead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Glad to see this LP, as this was probably my favorite game of the year alongside Bioshock Infinite. How many more DLCs are left for this since the newest one was very recent.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I remember my roomate picked up a copy of this right after it came out. Cue a very good drunken night watching it unfold like a beautiful batshit tullip.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I love this game so much and i eagerly look forward to this LP.

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD
Are you planning on doing the DLC too?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Chip Cheezum and Metal Gear reunited once more. Bookmarkin the poo poo out of this.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Yes, I'll be doing the DLC. Depending on how fast the LP goes there might be a short pause between the main game and the DLC so the three-month rule can expire.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This is going to be magical, I know it. :allears: I can't wait to see how this tops Peace Walker in the :krad: department.

Edit: I just saw the first video and holy loving poo poo I need this game.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 19, 2013

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I played through the first three levels when this came out, Things Happened, and I got distracted :staredog: Got back to playing this earlier today, and it's still a blast. It'll be good to watch the LP alongside it, since I'm just button-mashy as hell with this stuff and lack any real technique.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

This is going to be magical, I know it. :allears: I can't wait to see how this tops Peace Walker in the :krad: department.

If you've ever played a Platinum Games game, you'll know that they can get drat silly (and awesome) hella fast. Been looking forward to this LP for a while, can't wait to see how Ironicus reacts to some of the poo poo that goes down in this game.

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD
I just booted up the game for shits and giggles and it turns out my complete save has been deleted :(

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Ironicus' reaction to everything that is silly and awesome in this game is just magical.:allears:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Gonna need to run out and buy a copy before I start watching the LP! :supaburn:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This thread was posted literally two minutes after the three month limit. That's dedication.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 19, 2013

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
Following in the footsteps of Bioshock Infinite last week, I bought and beat this game this weekend. I do have to say, I like this one more solely for the replay value. Looking forward to seeing someone better than me (IE anyone) play this game, though.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Been wanting to check Rising out since it hit but haven't had a chance, so this is pretty cool to see.
Also it's awesome to see you doing it so soon after Peacewalker.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! :getin:

I'e been...waiting for this one. At last...the time has come. Let's begin...

Serious Face: I'm excited for this one, can you tell?

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
When you had a stream a little while ago showing off the first level a day or two later I ran out and bought a copy. I am now half done with S-Ranking the game on Revengeance difficulty.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the LP!

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, I can't believe it's been 3 months already :dance:. I'm excited to see this game played by someone with some modicum of ability, which is not hard when compared to me.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I should probably try and finish the game before you get to the point I stopped at.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chip Cheezum posted:

Yes, I'll be doing the DLC. Depending on how fast the LP goes there might be a short pause between the main game and the DLC so the three-month rule can expire.
Slowbeef should just give you a pass on that, considering it's DLC and all. I would say it's different if it were a main game.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Now I have to put my school work European Extreme run of MGS 3 on hold to play this along-side the video.

Also, I hope that the original story about how Raiden became a cyborg ninja eventually gets told. Sounds like it could have some sort of cool RPG elements in it.

Sir_Faolan_Hound
Aug 19, 2010
Holy poo poo that was fast :staredog:

I tried playing the demo but I couldn't really get into it, so I'll be following this and can't wait to see how crazy this gets.

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual
I'm so happy to see this go up if only for the codecs. I love love LOVE the codecs in this game but I kept forgetting to listen to them because of how fast the game is and how many little pieces I wanted to cut people into. I'm also really glad to hear Ironicus' reaction to the ray fight was nearly identical to mine. What an amazing start.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I love the music in this game, it's absolutely perfect for the tone of the game.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

God drat it I didn't know you could parry Ray. I just went for his legs and dodged. I'm already learning new things about this game.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
This game is absolutely beautiful, just so much love and effort put into it...

I still haven't been able to master parrying. (I am absolute crap at this game.)

Additionally, I really love the soundtrack of this game. It is absolutely loving glorious. I have described it thusly:
If Metallica and Linkin Park had a baby, and then made The Offspring be surrogate mother of their baby, the born child would be the soundtrack of this game.

And that still doesn't do it justice. It's just this delicious blend of metal + rock + dubstep + grunge + alternative that is all awesome. The transitory element of it really adds an extra layer of amazingness to an already magnificent game.

Also, I am in love with how loving dedicated this game is to being absolutely over the top ridiculous pretty much all the time.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 19, 2013

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Ironicus's reaction to things are going to completely make this LP worth it.
I also don't see the practicality of those scissor swords.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dammit, I don't know whether to go buy the game and play along or just sit and enjoy the ride.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

LacklusterMan posted:

I also don't see the practicality of those scissor swords.
If your enemy has one sword, and you attack him with two swords from opposite directions, what's he gonna do about it? :smug:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
You are a goddamn machine.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
This game really is as much fun to play as it seems, as long as you get the mechanics down. If you don't, the higher difficulty levels are really going to kick your rear end.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
When is this game coming out on PC :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is looking to be the best game released this year and the only one so far I've dedicated two whole weeks to breaking over my knee in trophies and titles.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I can't wait for this. :allears:

This had better beat Peace Walker in the crazy department!

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Oh god yes. This is possibly my favorite action game of all time. Only DMC3 comes anywhere close. It's easily the most fun game that's come out this year so far. It even feels like a Metal Gear game, just with the restraining bolt on its madness finally taken off.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I have never been so happy to hear turn-of-the-millennium emo buttrock.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Sweet, can't wait to see someone pulling off the cooler moves in the game without stumbling around like an idiot trying to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Been really looking forward to this LP, loved the hell out of this game and have sunk well over 100 hours across the main game and DLC.

Toffile posted:

When is this game coming out on PC :smith:

They actually just announced a PC port a couple of days ago, my guess is we'll get a release date and some more general info about the port during Konami's pre-E3 event this year.

• Locked thread