Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have a great deal more respect for Miko now that she has such a bitchin' cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Those four...Gamespot or IGN? guys have transcended mere meme status and become part of the culture there it seems like. They show up in anime, they show up in advertisements, billboards, etc.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Miko's fashion sense is awesome.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
"Gaijin 4koma" is NOT a "dumb" old meme. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

HGH posted:

Man, look at that evil cape. She looks like a silly RPG villain now.

Welp, so much for Seiga and Yoshika.

(Why the hell are Eiki and Komachi there?)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

HGH posted:

Man, look at that evil cape. She looks like a silly RPG villain now.

Also, her special ability icon is... a dumb old meme?

Seems like the way this works is that Miko actually uses popularity to power up, and when her popularity is low she'll be weaker. Her cape changes colour as this happens as well. Last Word is a giant laser sword that slices through the middle of the screen.

It would be cool if she could actually summon those guys as an assist.

Also, n'th-ing the opinion that Alphes is kind of a terrible artist. He's good at making exactly one cute face, possibly making the ;) expression, but everything else is just a lot of polish on some poor fundamentals. Of course, I shouldn't be one to judge, but I know stubby arms and sausage fingers when I see 'em.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 19, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Welp, so much for Seiga and Yoshika.

(Why the hell are Eiki and Komachi there?)

That appears to be the general 'dead and/or afterlife guys hang out' area.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well I mean it just seems kind of silly to have Seiga slouching around between two people who want her dead. But there's really no point expecting reason from the backgrounds, so whatever.

Some translations are out:

Google Translate posted:

Introduce the character of today is Miko As expected in the translation of

In character, such incarnation like a road attribute, specializing in shooting laser, the beam type
Strong for in a sexual partner but weak horizontal kinda elevated position otherwise

Special ability is now remembers as a parameter of its own gain and loss of popularity
Weakening mode and enhanced mode is invoked with Furikireru certain degree up and down it
Color of the cloak is varied depending on the situation at this time
It is can be determined at a glance at any gauge other than

And or a special move and to make popular voluntarily, is technology that consumes this internal charge
It starts from the fact that to earn popularity, popularity increase and decrease is directly linked to the outcome than other characters

Special Move laser image of Article 27
The tearing the space sword of the waist, and burn down a laser attack from the break
Existence is at risk is less than popular Article 27 When there is no

Inferior Human Translate posted:

"The humans keep losing hope of heart". So thought Miko, who herself desired to save the world. For that reason, first the interfering religious preachers would have to be defeated. Miko decides to investigate Gensokyou’s oldest religious institute.

Special Skill: Calling of the Statesman.
As she acquires popularity, desires will be absorbed. More desires absorbed will strengthen her attacks. Reversely, if she loses popularity, the collected desires will be released. If she loses too much her attacks will be weakened. Compared to the others, getting the public attention is more important.

Last word: Something about imperial decree. Most likely a reference to Japanese history.
Can be released when she gains the full power of the popularity of the crowd. A giant blade of light that strikes and changes the battlefield. The attack is limited to around the middle of the field. The blade of light can be grazed and guarded, but inside it everything is forced into submission.

Also there's a theory that the final boss for this game will be Touhou Sun Wukong. Mostly because:

Wikipedia posted:

Eventually, through the teamwork of Taoist and Buddhist forces, including the efforts from some of the greatest deities, Sun Wukong was captured.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Where do you get those pictures, anyway? I can't find them anywhere on Tasofro's site.

I jumped into the future and took them myself (alternatively you can find them on Tasofro's blog page here). That's usually where the 2nd picture is posted for some reason.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oh boy, Touhou Goku is definitely what the series needed.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
The extra little touches to the costumes are really neat. Totally getting a Nobunaga Oda vibe from Miko.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Asked my friend Hokuto to translate Byakuren's Hopeless Masquerade snippet on Tasofro's website.

quote:

Byakuren Hijiri, the Buddhist monk who surpassed primatehood

The Myouren Temple was filled with people.
But none of them really sought to accept the teachings of Buddha.
Morals fell into decay, and degenerate days ensued in which the ones who made the most noise were considered in the right.
She sets out to battle, claiming that force is another means of teaching.

Special: Superhuman Lineage

Byakuren must use an aria before using a super move.
When you input the command for a super, Byakuren will sing an aria to charge her super counter. Inputting the command again will use the super and deplete the counter.
Each different super move has a different counter, so she must sing another aria if she uses a different super.
While her arias make supers harder to use, her supers are very powerful in compensation.

Last Word: Angilasa Veda

A series of consecutive attacks in which Byakuren charges in, knocks the opponent into the air, and blasts them with a barrage of lasers.
The high speed charge goes straight through enemy danmaku, and it can close in on distant opponents in an instant.
Its powerful pressure and heart-crushing strength make it a truly fitting demonstration of superhuman power.

Superhuman confirmed.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

'Surpassed Primatehood'? Hahaha.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The bar is very low in Gensokyo.

Also wow, Reimu and Marisa's gimmicks are boring as hell compared to all of the other characters.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, it seems like Reimu is the only character so far without a power-up gimmick of sorts. Even Marisa at least has every fourth special attack do extra damage.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's pretty normal for fighting game main characters. They're typically the balanced type without any huge gimmick.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

'Surpassed Primatehood'? Hahaha.

It's arcane, but the term "primate", in addition to being synonymous with "simian", may also denote a certain high level of priesthood as well.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The above was a quick and dirty translation at best, but I did spend a while going back and forth on the term 霊長類. This specific permutation of the word is used strictly for primates as far as I've been able to tell. According to the explanation I read here, they base the word off of the word for spiritual leader because of an association of primates being leaders among animals.

I haven't followed much of this thread, but if you guys want the other entries translated, I'll produce that shortly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That would be appreciated.

Also, if you haven't heard yet, the FMW3 PV was released. Better get a FMW2 clear save ready! And start thinking about Twin optimization.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've got my FMW2 normal mode clear save ready to go. I'm sad that Sanae will probably stick to Reimu's side because I really enjoyed using her late game with Marisa last time around.

Let's see what I can post from the Tasofro website.

Prologue:

quote:

Frequent natural disasters and inevitable calamities all gave the human village a deep-seated sense of pessimism.

A heavy pall hung over the village. It wasn't a sense of despair; It was more akin to a feeling of entrapment, that nothing humans did could change their future.

"What's the big deal?!"

Who uttered those words? I could swear I heard it. It's true. If nothing changes anyway, then I can do whatever I want, right? Yeah, just live more for the moment!
With that, the minds of the villagers were freed, and all order crumbled.

There was a group of people who saw the situation from another viewpoint. They were the pious. They wanted to take hold of the hearts in disarray.
After all, it was a good opportunity to both restore order and gather faith for their own religions.

A Buddhist monk that built a temple in Gensokyo. A practitioner of the Way that forsook mundane life for eternal youth. And a shrine maiden seeking reinstatement of power.
They all have their minds set. To all of them, this moment is, "My turn."

Now, let your beliefs be your weapon in riveting battles as you fight each other for popularity!

They definitely used 巫女 (Shrine maiden) rather than 神子 (Miko's name), before anyone asks. "The Way" is just an editorial choice on my part, a classic literary way of referencing Taoism.

Reimu:

quote:

Reimu Hakurei, spokesgirl for the multitudes
Humans that normally acted subdued. Youkai that were always upbeat. They all had the same look of excitement on their faces.
There was only one reason for their ardor.
The shrine maiden was about to do battle with her rival.
Win the battle and make that popularity yours!

Special: Law of Universal Spiritual Power
Reimu's spiritual power gauge is longer than that of other characters, giving her a higher maximum power.
She can use more projectiles and supers, and even the slight amount of spiritual power it costs to block attacks is a drop in the bucket to her.

Last Word: Fantasy Heaven
Reimu's final ultimate technique, in which she goes into stance, endures damage from the opponent, makes an opening, and envelops the opponent in a giant barrage of amulets.
At point-blank range, it straight up nullifies blocking, making it easy to crush opponents that try to turtle to avoid counters.

Marisa:

quote:

Marisa Kirisame, the foremost human magician
The village was filled with festivities.
But the festivities had an air of degeneracy, of transience.
It was an air that would bring joy to the pious, whose job it was to take hold of people's hearts.
She decided to steal a march on the pious before they could take advantage of this, by going out to fight to win allies of her own.

Special: Third Time's the Charm
Every time Marisa uses a strong ranged attack or super, a star lights up. When all of the stars are lit, Marisa's next strong ranged attack or super will change to a powered-up version.
Each attack has its own different power-up boost, from stronger power, to wider area, to added invincibility time.
Just remember, Marisa's at her most dangerous with all of her stars lit up.

Last Word: Sungrazer
A daring technique in which Marisa rides her broom and mows through her surroundings, launching her opponent, then charging into them at maximum thrust at their most defenseless.
The mowdown has a wide attack area, and Marisa is invincible during the attack.

Ichirin:

quote:

The overwhelming youkai devotee Ichirin Kumoi and Unzan
The head monk of the Myouren Temple was away.
It seemed to be a rather important post by human standards, and Ichirin, who was studying at the temple, was told to oversee it in the head monk's absence.
But the situation changed.
A challenger showed up at Myouren Temple.

Special: Quiet Rage
When Ichirin takes damage, it builds her Rage gauge. When the Rage gauge reaches its maximum level, Ichirin goes into Rage Mode, which increases her attack power. Rage Mode brings the kind of attack power that can turn a losing battle around in mere moments.

Last Word: Age of Grand Forefathers
Unzan answers the voice of the spectators and intervenes directly in battle.
At this point, you control Unzan rather than Ichirin, allowing you to execute attacks on an overwhelming scale.
Ichirin may look defenseless within, but Unzan's protection reduces damage and nullifies hitstun, making it so that careless counterattacks by opponents can cost them dearly.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 20, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Doesn't look like there's a new character introduced today, but this showed up on Tasofro's blog

What are the odds that aside from the final boss this is the entire roster? Or maybe they wanna keep the rest of the roster secret to surprise buyers, who knows?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Well, figures that even in Gensokyo there is the Dawkins approach practiced by the gooniest race of youkai.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Bust out the cucumbers, 'cause poo poo just got a whole lot more sciencier :science:

Although with pleasant surprises comes surprises bringing crushing sadness

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ahahahahaahahaha.

They didn't make it in? Really? Really?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Edit: ^^ Well look at me taking too long uploading poo poo to imgur.

Nope, nevermind, a new character has been revealed.

Looks like her Last Word is basically Snake's Final Smash from Super Smash Bros Brawl. Kinda fitting, really. Also, the entire Moriya Shrine is background characters, I guess Reimu really is the one and proper representative of Shinto instead of them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Wait, we get Nitori to round out the shinto team and Sanae gets stuck on background duty? What the hell?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

What? Who gives a poo poo about Sanae? I'm crushed that we aren't getting playable Aki sisters :colbert:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Wait, we get Nitori to round out the shinto team and Sanae gets stuck on background duty? What the hell?

Honestly, I can see why Sanae and Suwako got shelved. They were already in TH12.3, and this game's all about giving new characters a chance to shine.

What I'm really surprised about is that Kanako is just gonna sit back and watch and she's all about gathering faith.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

What I'm really surprised about is that Kanako is just gonna sit back and watch and she's all about gathering faith.

Yeah same here, this was the perfect game to have her playable in. Nitori might be amazing to play as, but it seems like an odd choice to make.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Science Vs. Religion

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well, this was a curveball.

...I'm honestly starting to wonder what TasoFro is doing with this game's roster. This isn't a bad surprise (Nitori was cut from SWR after all), but if you asked me who I wanted from MoF in a game about religion...

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You never know how much you wanted something until you actually get it, on occasion.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Nitori is the best and I am super happy that she somehow made it in. Religion has nothing on Kappa Science.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Mononobe no Futo:

quote:

Mononobe no Futo, Feng Shui master and ruler of the dragon veins

Miko set out to save the hard-hearted people.
This entailed gathering scattered faiths together and reforming transient lifestyles.
This path would inevitably lead to conflict with the other pious, and Futo would act as Miko's supporter.
Of course, supporter in this case meant giving after-care to the defeated...

Special: Kodoku Plates
Futo amplifies her hermit power by ceremonially breaking the plates left around the field.
At full hermit power, many of her attacks get stronger.
Hermit power does not reset between battle rounds, giving Futo a potential advantage the longer a fight lasts.

Last Word: Taika Reform
Futo launches fire all around, engulfing the field in a sea of flame.
Futo is unaffected by this sea of flame, but her opponents slowly lose health when near it.
The closer the opponent is to the sea of flame, the more health they lose.

The historic Taika Reform is written as 大化の改新, but Futo's is written as 大火の改新, replacing the character for "change" with the character for "fire".

Toyosatomimi no Miko:

quote:

Toyosatomimi no Miko, the almighty Taoist ruler of the universe

Hope was gone from people's hearts, Miko felt. And that feeling gave her hope of saving the world.
She had to seize hold of the people's hearts for herself, and to do that, she had to first defeat others that shared her occupation.
Miko sought out the oldest religious institution in all of Gensokyo.

Special: Career Statesman
As Miko wins popularity, she absorbs the desires of the spectators, which powers up some of her attacks.
When she loses popularity, the desires she's gathered get released. When she loses too much desire, her attacks become weaker than normal, meaning that she has even greater reason than others to pay close attention to the eyes upon her.

Last Word: Suppression by Imperial Decree
Miko gathers all of her hermit power and spectator popularity into a ladle and transforms it into a giant light sword that slices across the battlefield.
The light sword's attack range is restricted to around the center of the field, but it is unblockable and ungrazable, allowing Miko to dominate anything in that range.

The translation for the last word, 詔を承けては必ず鎮め, is something I'm not 100% sure on if anyone wants to offer a better suggestion.

Nitori:

quote:

Nitori Kawashiro, the river handyman

The village was full of revelry.
Big names were getting into fights in the streets, and the people seemed to enjoy it.
Their excitement and enthusiasm created true believers.
But the pious were just exploiting the people.
Some kappa cultures despised religion.

Special: Water Sprite Energy
Nitori has a loadout of impressive weaponry, but using it requires water sprite energy.
When she doesn't have enough energy for her weapons, they become weakened or unusable.
Energy reserves do not refill before the end of a round, so weapons must be used with careful consideration of the pace of the battle.

Last Word: SuperScope 3D
Nitori hides herself under an optical camouflage cloak, then launches an aerial bombardment from outside the battlefield.
You can move the targeting crosshairs with the directional keys and fire with the weak attack button. Any projectiles you fire will explode at the location between the crosshairs.
Every several shots, Nitori fires out danmaku with higher damage and explosive radius.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 20, 2013

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I kinda want to put "KAPPA SCIENCE!" as a poll option.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hokuto posted:

Toyosatomimi no Miko, the almighty Taoist ruler of the universe

That explains her cape.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
On a different note, I've been playing The Genius of Sappheiros lately. I've enjoyed it even with the amount of dickery they throw at the player, but for the first time, the wikia walkthrough hasn't helped me get past a roadblock boss. Tenshi seems to be this giant immutable wall of hit points that is impossible to break.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Is that ZUN himself chilling in the hot spring/lake there?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

KataraniSword posted:

Is that ZUN himself chilling in the hot spring/lake there?

It looks to me that it's a bunch of generic kappa, assuming that they all wear the same hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Okay so Nitori means there's no excuse not to have Shou, I'm tentatively deciding that being a background character don't mean poo poo.