Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

keykey posted:

It's been too long..

I was going to post some pictures of my adventures this weekend later but now I have to give a taste. I was at Imports & Kitcars at Carlisle, a dirt racing museum, and a Jalopy Jamboree yesterday.

WEEEEEEEEEEE! We're at a car show! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Saw a few cars on my bike ride yesterday:

In addition to the clearly visible cars in the photo were a Ford GT (just barely visible), an R8 spyder, a Ferrari 458, and probably one or two others that I'm forgetting. A minute or so after they passed, a 308 GTB went by; no idea if he was with the other cars.

This has been parked for a rather long time:

and a bonus motorcycle with bonus cylinders (photo taken by a passenger, not me while driving):

It look veeeerrry squirrely on the highway.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

That's a Boss Hoss, and they are, in fact, huge pieces of poo poo. They have small block Chevys in them (or some flavor of V6 if you're on a budget) and are essentially for when one of those big 1800 Honda cruisers or a Screamin' Eagle Stage 3 Ultraglide isn't enough to compensate for your bald spot and erectile dysfunction.

Content:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I never understood that aspect of cruisers. Do they deliberately try to be as flashy as possible so they don't get run over by a Tahoe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This guy was at Cars & Coffee yesterday

Turbo LS1 swapped RX-7. Sounded great but the owner was kind of a dick to some of the other attendees. Then it died on him when he tried to leave and we all laughed our asses off at him raging at the car.

I also met the founder of Focaljet who is a really cool dude.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Nice car. Shame the owner was a douche.

Never have been a fan of French interiors but something about this one makes me want one badly.

Renault Safrane BiTurbo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That's a Boss Hoss, and they are, in fact, huge pieces of poo poo. They have small block Chevys in them (or some flavor of V6 if you're on a budget) and are essentially for when one of those big 1800 Honda cruisers or a Screamin' Eagle Stage 3 Ultraglide isn't enough to compensate for your bald spot and erectile dysfunction.

Hahahah, good to know. I don't know poo poo about motorcycles. Here is something nice:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yeah, here's their incredibly lovely website Boss Hoss Motorcycles
Just look at 'dem fahn mocheens.

Here's a picture of my usual kind of interaction with Boss Hoss riders:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That's a pretty awful website. The local BMW dealership got some nice decorations:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Not my pic and not my style, but funny enough. I guess.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rhyno posted:

Turbo LS1 swapped RX-7. Sounded great but the owner was kind of a dick to some of the other attendees.

What did he do? Shoulda just kept it NA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kimbo305 posted:

What did he do? Shoulda just kept it NA.

A few guys locally own Cobalt SS's and Saturn Redlines and were discussing the available aftermarket parts and places that specialize in those cars. RX7 dude started dismissing everything they said as a waste of time and that their cars were essentially garbage. These guys are some of our best C&C attendees, they always show up with a good attitude and are generally chill dudes. RX7 guy was just being a jerk for no real reason.

This also showed up

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Well on the off chance that one of the dudes was Tussen Takk, it was maybe pardonable.
Ooh, post some pics of that matte Focus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kimbo305 posted:

Well on the off chance that one of the dudes was Tussen Takk, it was maybe pardonable.
Ooh, post some pics of that matte Focus.

Nah, both our local Redline guys have black cars. We've got three Cobalt SS owners in the local crowd as well. Sadly that's the only pic I have with the Focus in it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

ZZPerformance is an amazing site for aftermarket SS and Redline parts. Intake, exhaust, pulley kit and a tune and you can make 300hp at the wheels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

ZZPerformance is an amazing site for aftermarket SS and Redline parts. Intake, exhaust, pulley kit and a tune and you can make 300hp at the wheels.

That's the place he dude was talking poo poo about!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYeEJ7CDH8

_Loser_
Dec 8, 2005

Gaymu for Teemu

Rhyno posted:

A few guys locally own Cobalt SS's and Saturn Redlines and were discussing the available aftermarket parts and places that specialize in those cars. RX7 dude started dismissing everything they said as a waste of time and that their cars were essentially garbage. These guys are some of our best C&C attendees, they always show up with a good attitude and are generally chill dudes. RX7 guy was just being a jerk for no real reason.

North side Fort Wayne goon spotted. Cars would be the only good reason to go near the trolley bar. :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

_Loser_ posted:

North side Fort Wayne goon spotted. Cars would be the only good reason to go near the trolley bar. :D

I'm friends with the owner (Todd Smith) and frequent his establishments all the time so NYAH! (And I live Southwest)

_Loser_
Dec 8, 2005

Gaymu for Teemu
I escaped New Haven last year, so I can't really talk. Just wasn't expecting to see that particular mini mall in this thread, heh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

_Loser_ posted:

I escaped New Haven last year, so I can't really talk. Just wasn't expecting to see that particular mini mall in this thread, heh.

I work (and will shortly live near) Jefferson Point. We meet up north because the coffee house there is nice enough to give us full use of their lot and we leave before the Trolley lunch rush.

Found a half picture of the matte wrapped Focus

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

seen in downtown bos circa 2009:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I work (and will shortly live near) Jefferson Point. We meet up north because the coffee house there is nice enough to give us full use of their lot and we leave before the Trolley lunch rush.
when do these happen? That's like 3 miles from my house and I've been meaning to try that coffee shop anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

when do these happen? That's like 3 miles from my house and I've been meaning to try that coffee shop anyway.

I thought I invited you! We do them Saturday mornings, 10-12 and then some of us usually get lunch afterwards. I'll hit you up on FB.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Got to ride around in this for a bit today:

It's a 1937 Rolls 25/30, completely unrestored.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The license plate is behind the bumper? :psyduck:

CHOWTIME
Jan 4, 2013

power...
So there was a local car thing yesterday, and I took some pictures..

This was probably the most popular car there, according to the board there's only 50 left:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Why on earth would anyone want a 600+hp FWD car? (hell, 300+hp)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

travisray2004 posted:

This forum is called Automotive Insanity for a reason.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Touche.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A M3 engined MGC. Some more information here: http://www.gpe.fi/index_mgc.htm

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Ughhhhh I groaned then started drooling. I need that MGC in my life.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

There's another video of that car pulling 891HP on the dyno. I know a kid with a SS/SC making 309HP at the wheels and he said it drives fine.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Steve French posted:

Hahahah, good to know. I don't know poo poo about motorcycles. Here is something nice:

Summer summer summertime!

What is it with these things? :flashfap:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

There's another video of that car pulling 891HP on the dyno. I know a kid with a SS/SC making 309HP at the wheels and he said it drives fine.

But it's still a Chevy Cavilier :smug:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

travisray2004 posted:

Nice car. Shame the owner was a douche.

Never have been a fan of French interiors but something about this one makes me want one badly.

Renault Safrane BiTurbo

Oh The glorious fleetingh moment of french electronics where everything works at the same time.

Pretty sure that is rarer than halley's comet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ok so Slung Blade is looking for a project car apparently and this guy near us is being forced by new ordnances and nosy neighbors to clear out his stock of project cars. We went and took a look - a lot of the cheap stuff is gone, a lot of the expensive stuff isn't, so what was left and what we can afford ended up being the weird stuff. I took cameraphone pictures where appropriate, but I missed taking pictures of some nice stuff like the amazing Challenger R/T and Ferrari 308 that the owner had stored indoors.

Of particular AI interest is this Mercedes with Twin Tires. This guy was actually one of the Canadian distributors for the invention and he had a handful of new tires for this system and a bunch of wheels left over. This particular wheel was made by Speedline but they also subcontracted to Enkei from what he told us.

Amerigoons who are less liberal than 'Blade and I will be interested to hear that he had Ronald Reagan's governorship limousine on the premises. It was pretty beat up but seemed fairly authentic. Apparently he is thinking of listing it on BaT.

This old Ford towtruck is incredible. The cab and paint were left mostly intact, and a new chassis was jammed underneath complete with brand new tow gear. The interior was restored as well, with some Dynamat and new carpets. Note that the truck is not actually a manual transmission.

We came to look at a few cars. This '75 Nova was one of them. Its little six fired right up with some starting fluid and a boost - the battery was basically done for. Sounded healthy and had the old Mopar NOT MOPAR WHO SAID THAT rasp.

The quarters were pretty gross but nothing that can't be fixed. The sills were also pretty gross. The primary obstacle to picking this one up will be caring enough about a smog era Nova.

Sills:

The buttal region:

We didn't come to see it, but I think this is what Slung Blade and I wanted most in all the world after we saw and heard it. This is a Plymouth Satellite with a 440 swap. Behind it is a Coronet with a "Coronet 440" badge and a 318.

Someone took all the badges off but most of them were still around.

More butts, please:

In profile you start to appreciate how god damned huge this ridiculous car is.

Here's where the problems start. Both rear quarters have been Bondo'd to hell and back.

The interior - with buckets, I've never seen buckets on a Satellite before! - is clearly intended to be some kind of long forgotten race car project from a previous owner.

The bondo is worse on the driver's side.

There was also this cool handbuilt hod rod for sale with a Corvette 427 in it. None of this thing was fiberglass - all actual steel! I have a lot of appreciation for whoever was able to craft this.

Here's a familiar sight for die hard AIers - a Ford Thames van.

Check out the fatty rear tires:

I forgot that doors open and tried to take a picture through the drivers' side window here.

I don't remember what this was but it was beautiful. It sat next to two Laurentians and a Humber. There was also a Meteor Ranchwagon. I was too overwhelmed by patriotism to take pictures of those. :canada:

What I came to look at was his '59 Renault Dauphine Gordini (nice, but rusted and the interior was pretty worn), collection of Sunbeam Alpine GTs, and a 1975 Jaguar XJC with a 350 Chevy swap which was too much of a project for me to take on and which I will regret not buying until the day I die.

The owner was super AI. Very chill, relaxed, story for every car. He said that he preferred to collect weird and rare cars rather than cars that might fetch a lot of value someday, and that he definitely prefers driving cars to letting them sit like this. Serial entrepreneur - through his various automotive-related jobs he estimated to us that he's bought and sold over eight thousand cars. I have a new role model.

So that's our trip in a nutshell there. I'll try to take more pictures when we go back to get a car for Slung Blade.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We came to look at a few cars. This '75 Nova was one of them. Its little six fired right up with some starting fluid and a boost - the battery was basically done for. Sounded healthy and had the old Mopar rasp.
:crossarms:

More of my uncle's toys: