Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my ex-manager's wife brought their truck into the shop the other day for oil and new tires. Oil was gone, probably because of the 14,000 miles since the last (conventional) oil change. As for the tires, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzARuPVMOvQ

Probably not worth the time.

All four tie rod ends were completely shot and had vertical play, wheel bearings needed packed, idler arm you saw, pitman was pretty bad too. The loose shock was so worn I could compress it with a finger tip and it would stay there, the other shocks were just as bad judging by how badly the truck bounced. We couldn't even check the ball joints because everything else was so loose but I suspect they were shot as well. All in all, the tires had a range of about 3 degrees toe out to 9 in, and the passenger wheel had visibly more negative camber.

There was a child seat in the back row.

They did not fix a single thing.

They, in fact, yelled at the CSA over the phone when we refused to do the tires without suspension work, and the wife gave me a dirty look when she picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Kotaru posted:

Is the AX5 based off the T5? Because that pretty much how the T5 fails 90% of the time and that assembly looks exactly like a T5 main assembly.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Isn't the T5 a toploader? I know the AX5 is very closely related to the GM MA5 and the Isuzu or Pontiac (not sure which) AR5, though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fucknag posted:

So my ex-manager's wife brought their truck into the shop the other day for oil and new tires. Oil was gone, probably because of the 14,000 miles since the last (conventional) oil change. As for the tires, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzARuPVMOvQ

All four tie rod ends were completely shot and had vertical play, wheel bearings needed packed, idler arm you saw, pitman was pretty bad too. The loose shock was so worn I could compress it with a finger tip and it would stay there, the other shocks were just as bad judging by how badly the truck bounced. We couldn't even check the ball joints because everything else was so loose but I suspect they were shot as well. All in all, the tires had a range of about 3 degrees toe out to 9 in, and the passenger wheel had visibly more negative camber.

They, in fact, yelled at the CSA over the phone when we refused to do the tires without suspension work, and the wife gave me a dirty look when she picked it up.

loving hell :( Can't you call the cops for endangering a child like that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

opengl128 posted:

loving hell :( Can't you call the cops for endangering a child like that?

...To say nothing of endangering EVERY OTHER PERSON ON THE ROAD NEAR THAT loving ABORTION.

People and their lack of mechanical understanding annoy me.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Fucknag posted:

Jesus, you would think you might be able to call child protective services for them thinking of putting a child in that...

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

MrYenko posted:

...To say nothing of endangering EVERY OTHER PERSON ON THE ROAD NEAR THAT loving ABORTION.

People and their lack of mechanical understanding annoy me.

Same here. I went through something similar about a year ago with this gem of a Ford Expedition. The owner refused to understand why it cost so much to "Just fix a drat noise!":rolleyes:

You tell me:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 19, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus :stonk:

I'm not usually one for a seizure/impoundment solution to a problem, but is there any sort of a law in your state where you can declare a vehicle unfit for the road and only allow it to leave on a tow truck or after repairs?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

I'm not usually one for a seizure/impoundment solution to a problem, but is there any sort of a law in your state where you can declare a vehicle unfit for the road and only allow it to leave on a tow truck or after repairs?

Welcome to sunny Florida, where there are no inspections whatsoever. Even cops can't stop you unless it's visibly and hilariously unsafe while driving, and even then they usually won't unless you're also breaking a traffic law. We are not legally allowed to hold a car under any circumstances ; we can refuse work and recommend them to a full service shop, and suggest that they tow rather than drive, but even that we can't require them to do.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

kastein posted:

This might sound like a good idea at first, but just imagine how places like Midas would use it.

"I'm sorry, with only six millimeters of material left, your brake pads are clearly unsafe to drive on according to our corporate safety standards for non-warranty work. I'm sorry, but you can't leave the shop until the work is done. We take cash, check, debit, Visa, and Mastercard. I'malsolegallyrequiredtotellyouthatyoucangetatow."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Space Gopher posted:

This might sound like a good idea at first, but just imagine how places like Midas would use it.

"I'm sorry, with only six millimeters of material left, your brake pads are clearly unsafe to drive on according to our corporate safety standards for non-warranty work. I'm sorry, but you can't leave the shop until the work is done. We take cash, check, debit, Visa, and Mastercard. I'malsolegallyrequiredtotellyouthatyoucangetatow."

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that this exact case is exactly why laws like that exist in some places (AFAIK) - hell, I probably wouldn't make it out of a shop with my truck for exactly the reason you just gave, shops using it to hold people hostage.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
These are also the same people who bitch about "unsafe semi-trucks and dangerous drivers"

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fucknag posted:

Welcome to sunny Florida, where there are no inspections whatsoever. Even cops can't stop you unless it's visibly and hilariously unsafe while driving, and even then they usually won't unless you're also breaking a traffic law. We are not legally allowed to hold a car under any circumstances ; we can refuse work and recommend them to a full service shop, and suggest that they tow rather than drive, but even that we can't require them to do.

Yeah here in PA you can't legally hold a vehicle even when it comes in for inspection and has all that poo poo wrong with it. You can fail the inspection and write everything down but you can't technically hold it since it's private property or some such poo poo. The only time you can hold it I think is when the owner hasn't paid for the repair and parts on it. We had some winners drive away under their own power when I was an auto manager, and we couldn't technically do anything.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Space Gopher posted:

So what Les Schwab likes to pull already?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yeah here in PA you can't legally hold a vehicle even when it comes in for inspection and has all that poo poo wrong with it. You can fail the inspection and write everything down but you can't technically hold it since it's private property or some such poo poo. The only time you can hold it I think is when the owner hasn't paid for the repair and parts on it. We had some winners drive away under their own power when I was an auto manager, and we couldn't technically do anything.

Is there anywhere in America that a shop actually can hold it?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Out of an iPod it looks like

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Salvage the magnets - they are strong for their size and are great for recovering dropped screws when attached to the end of a long stick.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Fermunky posted:

Jesus, you would think you might be able to call child protective services for them thinking of putting a child in that...

Ahahahahaha... right.

As I type this there are dozens and dozens of children in this small northeast city rolling around in a slurry of their own feces and broken glass because CPS doesn't have the resources to deal with them.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

kastein posted:

Here in the UK we are legally required to pass annual MOT inspections, which keeps the majority of the death-traps off of the roads until they are at least restored to a (hopefully) less lethal state. Though it's pretty horrifying what some people get away with, it's still no-where near as bad as some of the shitboxes I've seen in the US. :gonk:

Garages can't seize vehicles here either, but if the police catch someone rolling on bald tyres or with a light out they can potentially lose their driving licence if they have no MOT certificate; and they can get towed/impounded as well as getting whacked with a fine. It's a pretty good incentive to keep your car well maintained though! :shrug:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Polymerized Cum posted:

Ahahahahaha... right.

As I type this there are dozens and dozens of children in this small northeast city rolling around in a slurry of their own feces and broken glass because CPS doesn't have the resources to deal with them.

If it's anything like here they'll still manage to find the resources to snatch the children of otherwise good parents because someone with an agenda did a BS report. It's like a witch hunt. I know in Australia good parents tend to live in fear of social services, whereas families that have their kids hospitalized from beating them, exposure, sickness etc. get them right back. It's a load of horse poo poo.

What the hell happened to that hard drive? That's an awful lot of dust for head on platter loving.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Here in the UK we are legally required to pass annual MOT inspections, which keeps the majority of the death-traps off of the roads until they are at least restored to a (hopefully) less lethal state. Though it's pretty horrifying what some people get away with, it's still no-where near as bad as some of the shitboxes I've seen in the US. :gonk:

Garages can't seize vehicles here either, but if the police catch someone rolling on bald tyres or with a light out they can potentially lose their driving licence if they have no MOT certificate; and they can get towed/impounded as well as getting whacked with a fine. It's a pretty good incentive to keep your car well maintained though! :shrug:

This wouldn't go over well at all here in the US because, well, mah freedoms and dat derm gubmint getting into mah business!!!!

And that's why vehicle fires, brake failures, and broke down vehicles everywhere are the norm.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TotalLossBrain posted:

This wouldn't go over well at all here in the US because, well, mah freedoms and dat derm gubmint getting into mah business!!!!

There are several states that do exactly what he describes.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not sure how effective it really is. When I was in Dallas, the nice part of Dallas at that, I never had to spend more than a couple minutes on any semi busy surface street to spot and pull over an unregistered vehicle. Then I would be tied up for at least an hour ticketing the driver, inventorying the vehicle, and waiting for a tow truck to come get it. Make that three if I had to take the driver/passenger to jail as well.

There are a shitload of unregistered and/or uninsured vehicles out there.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Galler posted:

I'm not sure how effective it really is. When I was in Dallas, the nice part of Dallas at that, I never had to spend more than a couple minutes on any semi busy surface street to spot and pull over an unregistered vehicle. Then I would be tied up for at least an hour ticketing the driver, inventorying the vehicle, and waiting for a tow truck to come get it. Make that three if I had to take the driver/passenger to jail as well.

Impressive because Texas inspections are basically Horn/Lights/Brakes/Wipers/Emissions (depending on county/age of car). Out in the county if you're dialed in to the old boy net, not even that.

Unregistered and uninsured is whole other thing though, everyone that's ever hit me has been uninsured :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Galler posted:

PA and UT cops have reputations for not hesitating to pull over vehicles that don't appear to comply. I've had a lot of friends get pulled over for having tires that stick out past their mud flaps, or for no center brake light, no reflectors in brakelight housings, that sort of thing.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Galler posted:

Were you Highland/University Park Police?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

No, Dallas PD. My district bumped up against that area though.

I now have a much more comfortable job in IT.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Galler posted:

Galler probably gives THESE out now:

I work with a lady who used to be a cop. She's in security implementations now, and she agrees with you. Much easier/better job.

It's awesome to see the cop personality come out when people want to do stupid things, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Galler posted:

That's funny - one of out former Desktop guys was a former cop, then he got fired for, er, including the wrong people in a reply, and is now a Dallas cop. I honestly don't know if he's happier as a cop or not. Then again, Workstation/Desktop support barely qualifies as IT (I myself am a computer janitor, i.e Workstation support.)

As far as mechanical failures, I wish I'd have taken pictures of the driveshaft in my cousin's F150. Not only did the front u-joint go dry, he let it go long enough that the rollers all disintegrated, the cross shaft wore through the cup and into the slip yoke, and finally wore enough that the driveshaft fell out one morning. I had to go find another slip yoke for the stupid thing, and install a new u-joint. "Oh, hey - it was vibrating on the highway a bit." This was the same truck that had the ignition retarded so much it would barely get to highway speed. Sometimes not. I have no idea how that happened. I'm just glad he got a newer used car. I was tired of fixing the damned thing, particularly as he rarely had the money to do it right.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 21, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

And that's why vehicle fires, brake failures, and broke down vehicles everywhere are the norm.

I wouldn't say they are the norm, but poo poo does happen. Thankfully out in the wasteland most people don't want to pay a 100 mile towing fee, and those who do break down where the hills have eyes, get what they have coming.

As for stupid mechanic trick, this happened to me not that long ago.

Left is a new one, right is one that was installed 600 miles before. Yeah, oops indeed. Thankfully I had a couple of gallons of windshield washer fluid with me or I would have been one of those idiots with a 200 mile tow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I feel like I'm missing something when having a couple gallons of windshield washer fluid helped you avoid a tow for what sure looks like an oil filter to me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Not sure what it's for but it's off a big rig. Maybe DPF bullshit?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I feel like I'm missing something when having a couple gallons of windshield washer fluid helped you avoid a tow for what sure looks like an oil filter to me.

It's a cooling system filter.

:haw:

Oil filters are much much bigger. But that fucker is mounted between the block and the framerail so you can't see it from above, and it's a bitch to get from below.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/fleetguard-cummins-wf2127/water-filter-p-v52-wf2127

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Splizwarf posted:

Not sure what it's for but it's off a big rig. Maybe DPF bullshit?

Do big rigs use DPF? I thought that was just for bro trucks.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InterceptorV8 posted:

It's a cooling system filter.

What? How could you need one of these? What is contaminating your coolant? :psyduck:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

What? How could you need one of these? What is contaminating your coolant? :psyduck:

Hybrid cars.

Most to all semi's run coolant filters. I've seen a few people retrofit em to cars too. works good to keep bullshit from clogging up the radiator/heatercores. it might help work against scaling too, but I may be wrong.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

EightBit posted:

Yeah it keeps poo poo from clogging poo poo up, you know, removes scale and crap. Companies don't like to change coolant, because they are cheap bastards and a filter is cheap to replace. Most companies won't change coolant until an inframe is done. Until I had this issue, my coolant had over 200,000 miles on it without them checking it, I mean other than making sure there was coolant in the system.

Ford used to have filters on the upper hose for a while, looked like a giant metal fuel filter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The filter in mine is just a metal screen, and is directly after an odd shaped coolant hose called "the elephant trunk". So if you don't clean it regularly, it blows up that hose and the only place to get a new one is mack :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Do big rigs use DPF? I thought that was just for bro trucks.

Everything has DPF now if it wants to meet euro V, the type of vehicle is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In fairness, they did say that they were a transmission shop and not an exhaust shop...

Wait nevermind, here's what they did to the bellhousing: