Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Fair enough. Okay, the hooks could be the same material as the swords with their secret metallurgy.
The blackbox might allow for some mechanism that secures the hook after it's initial penetration and can then retract, allowing the hook to come free as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Death Cube K posted:

Why didn't they just ride those big eagles to Mordor?

And get slaughtered by the Wraiths?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Popo posted:

Fair enough. Okay, the hooks could be the same material as the swords with their secret metallurgy.
The blackbox might allow for some mechanism that secures the hook after it's initial penetration and can then retract, allowing the hook to come free as needed.

The hooks do open up. Remember when Sasha saved that guy by shooting a hook into his leg? It opened up after passing through, to secure itself.

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
Man, the anime has been fantastic so far! Got really pumped after watching the newest episode and wanted to draw some more Eren Titan rampaging action.

I think one of the few things that bother me is that I always imagine Eren Titan to look more skinless, or at least sinewy. Still, the moment was very awesome and I'm already looking forward to the next episode.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Erin reminds me a little of when my cat brings home a dead rabbit, in that image.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Feriowind posted:

Man, the anime has been fantastic so far! Got really pumped after watching the newest episode and wanted to draw some more Eren Titan rampaging action.

I think one of the few things that bother me is that I always imagine Eren Titan to look more skinless, or at least sinewy. Still, the moment was very awesome and I'm already looking forward to the next episode.

I wanna buy this

Are you selling it

I must have it

GIVE IT TO ME

:byodood:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, I found out why the anime's soundtrack has been awesome.

It's being done by Hiroyuki Sawano. The guy behind Gundam Unicorn's equally awesome soundtrack.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

RatHat posted:

One thing that never made sense about the 3D gear is the grappling hooks. How are they propelled fast enough to pierce into concrete(or whatever materials the castles/buildings are made of) and even the super-hardened walls? And if they're in there well enough that they can support a human, how do they get them out afterwards?

They've shown in a few places that the hooks can open and close. So I guess they can dig in and release.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Do you have a web site were we can get more of your stuff? Cause that there is really nice.

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?

Fiend Computer posted:

Do you have a web site were we can get more of your stuff? Cause that there is really nice.

Ummm I post most of my art on my tumblr (http://feriowind.tumblr.com/tagged/art) though as a warning I sometimes post slash....

Captain Invictus posted:

I wanna buy this

Are you selling it

I must have it

GIVE IT TO ME

:byodood:

Haha I hadn't thought of selling it, but I could! I was thinking of making more prints for Fanime so I guess I could make this into one too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Feriowind posted:

Ummm I post most of my art on my tumblr (http://feriowind.tumblr.com/tagged/art) though as a warning I sometimes post slash....

I didn't believe you, and now I wish I had. Kinda want RDJ to stumble upon this somehow though, I'd love to see his face.

quote:

Haha I hadn't thought of selling it, but I could! I was thinking of making more prints for Fanime so I guess I could make this into one too.
I wanna get the original if I can, once you're done with the prints. :unsmigghh:

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?

Captain Invictus posted:

I wanna get the original if I can, once you're done with the prints. :unsmigghh:

Oh, it's just a digital drawing so there's no original besides the actual photoshop file haha.

And whoop drew some more Titan Eren 'cause he's really fun to draw!

Feriowind fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 20, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So re-reading it again now, I just realized that four of the top five graduating students were/become titans. Only Mikasa, at the top, is (apparently) human. That just amuses me for some reason, because it shows the titans really didn't give a poo poo about holding back and were totally cool with going all out and still placed below Mikasa.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

So re-reading it again now, I just realized that four of the top five graduating students were/become titans. Only Mikasa, at the top, is (apparently) human. That just amuses me for some reason, because it shows the titans really didn't give a poo poo about holding back and were totally cool with going all out and still placed below Mikasa.

More than that it makes me wonder about the entire Inner Wall guard dudes who are supposedly protecting the king, since they're always top of the class cadets. :shobon:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

More than that it makes me wonder about the entire Inner Wall guard dudes who are supposedly protecting the king, since they're always top of the class cadets. :shobon:

Yeah, which brings me to another interesting point.

Just before Jean and Eren's first bar fight (which is actually the first time we see Eren's fighting style and it's mentioned he was tops at hand-to-hand, well before we see his titan form) Jean asks Bert and Annie where they're going. Bert notes to the royal guard, and Annie responds that she is too. Then she shoots Bert a dirty look and adds "That doesn't mean I'm anything like you", which in hindsight is mighty interesting.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Feriowind posted:

And whoop drew some more Titan Eren 'cause he's really fun to draw!

Cover his jaw with a mask and it's Raziel from Legacy of Kain :allears:

Also, I need to find a youtube compilation of all the Titan-TRex roars

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Just before Jean and Eren's first bar fight (which is actually the first time we see Eren's fighting style and it's mentioned he was tops at hand-to-hand, well before we see his titan form) Jean asks Bert and Annie where they're going. Bert notes to the royal guard, and Annie responds that she is too. Then she shoots Bert a dirty look and adds "That doesn't mean I'm anything like you", which in hindsight is mighty interesting.

Given the way it's framed, it's impossible to say whether she's addressing that to Jean or Bert or both. Interesting, though.

On a similar note, there's this exchange during the HtH portion of the training arc:

Which seems like it's directed to Eren, but Reiner is right there. And it comes right after this:

:tinfoil:

I cannot wait for the next chapter. Answers ho! (Please. For the love of God. :negative:)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

You drawing are awesome.
That said, this particular image looks like a panel from a Far Side cartoon, and I can't stop laughing from guessing what the caption is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Other than knowing conspiratorial Titan stuff, being a Titan doesn't seem to do anything to your human body's base levels of strength, agility or endurance though. I could see the other Human-Titans holding back on any superhuman abilities they may possess in human form, but Eren? Not a chance in hell that dude holds back or that no one notices/comments on his superhuman skills.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Just a little something I recently noticed...

The skin around Pixis's eyes looks kind of similar to the patterns that Eren gets whenever he comes out of his Titan transformation.

It's probably just wrinkles, but the author has foreshadowed a lot of small details like this before.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Pixis is one of the oldest characters, those are just wrinkles. The lines on Eren's and Ymir's faces are also just straight lines, with nothing crossing them, and go all the way down to their jawline.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The lines around Eren's and Ymir's eyes also go up their forehead.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
They also disappear after a while.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Yeah, I think those are supposed to be leftover titan gunk or veins or something.

On the subject of foreshadowing, though, there's a loving ton of it all over the place. Lots of conversations that are worded just so, where on first blush they seem to be about one thing but in hindsight are almost clearly about something entirely different.

As for titan superpowers in human form, keep in mind that all of Eren's training happens after he was shot up by his dad. And remember that when they were first learning the 3DMG the instructor commented on how impossible it was that Eren even briefly kept his balance with faulty gear. I'd say it's at least possible that all of them have some level of superhuman powers even in human form, it's just that Eren tends to get his rear end kicked before he can make use of anything.

Though honestly, I also kind of suspect Mikasa might have some of the titan in her. She'd been treated by the good doctor at least once before, and he was paying her a visit that day for another treatment. There's no saying he wasn't experimenting on random people. Could be part of why he took her in, even. Hell, depending on how sinister he ends up being he could have arranged the whole thing to be able to keep a closer eye on her.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Regardless of whether or not they have any real super-attributes, we know in the very least that they have a nerfed version of their Titan-Regen when in human form. That alone would allow them to pull off some pretty crazy stuff that would result in serious injury for a baseline.

Also as I've said before, the fact that all of the human titans are in the top ten (except Ymir who intentional underperformed to let Historia in) might be a sign of something to this effect.

Of course it's not the only explanation and there's really no enough to go on so far to state anything definitively. I guess finding out for sure if there really is anything up with Mikasa, or if she simply is just that bad-rear end will be one of the deciding factors.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 20, 2013

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Though honestly, I also kind of suspect Mikasa might have some of the titan in her. She'd been treated by the good doctor at least once before, and he was paying her a visit that day for another treatment. There's no saying he wasn't experimenting on random people. Could be part of why he took her in, even. Hell, depending on how sinister he ends up being he could have arranged the whole thing to be able to keep a closer eye on her.

We don't know much about Eren's dad, but I hope he'd be smart enough to not experiment with a human to titan formula on someone he's taken into his house. There would be a definite fear that an unproven formula could cause someone to turn into a titan if they hurt themselves accidentally, and do you really want an out of control titan at your breakfast table?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

devilmaydry posted:

Wow, seeing if the anime thread is going to get spoiled or not is almost as suspenseful as reading the manga for the first time!

Don't you love it when prophecies come true?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TTBF posted:

We don't know much about Eren's dad, but I hope he'd be smart enough to not experiment with a human to titan formula on someone he's taken into his house. There would be a definite fear that an unproven formula could cause someone to turn into a titan if they hurt themselves accidentally, and do you really want an out of control titan at your breakfast table?

True, that does seem unlikely, but it is still possible. I will say it's more likely that he just decided to take her in and keep an eye on her. If, of course, there is anything special he did to her.

Come to think of it, if she does have some titan in her it isn't active at all since we've seen her wounded without the regeneration to patch it up.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Unless it's a different batch, or treatment she got as we have seen her being potentially (unless the sleeper titans were dialing down their abilities) stronger than others like chucking Eren halfway down a street with an underarm one arm throw and then nearly flattening Eren and Annie during training by lobbing one of the bigger males at them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Come to think of it, if she does have some titan in her it isn't active at all since we've seen her wounded without the regeneration to patch it up.

Eren got hurt without regenerating as well before he "awakened" his Titan power. If Mikasa got the Titan upgrade then it's quite possible she's just so good that she's never activated it. I mean, Eren had to lose an arm, a leg, and be partially digested before he went on his rampage.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
The longer they put off revealing why the human-titans attacked/infiltrated in the first place, the more worried I get that it's going to be stupid anime/manga logic like "we had to be the bad guys in order to get mankind to hate us and unite together".

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

organism posted:

The longer they put off revealing why the human-titans attacked/infiltrated in the first place, the more worried I get that it's going to be stupid anime/manga logic like "we had to be the bad guys in order to get mankind to hate us and unite together".

I'd be really surprised if this happened, there's a part in the manga where the author basically mocks this idea.

If I recall correctly, Pixis asks Eren what he thinks about this idea, and Eren says that humanity isn't united at all, even with the titans.

e: Found the page:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/6251/shingeki-no-kyojin_v3_ch12_by_gantz-waitingroom/15

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 21, 2013

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Gyges posted:

Eren got hurt without regenerating as well before he "awakened" his Titan power. If Mikasa got the Titan upgrade then it's quite possible she's just so good that she's never activated it. I mean, Eren had to lose an arm, a leg, and be partially digested before he went on his rampage.

Here's a (dumb) theory, what if being awakened as a Titan is like the Immortals in the Highlander movies where you need to die once before it kicks in properly? Maybe the kidnapper that flattened Mikasa actually was (un)lucky and that blow killed her.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
Mikasa also got some sort of tattoo of her clan crest or something, right? That could have something to do with, well, any number of things. Especially since she's the last Asian or something (assuming that is actually true and not setting up something for later as well).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just went to the anime thread and read some pretty good elaborated theories about how it makes sense and its actually good writing that Eren is dead and now Mikasa is replacing him as the protagonist. I was almost convinced.

So cute :3:

EDIT: also, I cant explain why, but it seemed even more obvious in the anime that Angry Titan is Eren. Or maybe is just because I already know? I remember thinking it could be him while I was reading the manga, but I dont think I was so sure myself. But I didnt had one week wonder and speculate, since Ive read all the way to chapter 15 in one go.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 21, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just went to the anime thread and read some pretty good elaborated theories about how it makes sense and its actually good writing that Eren is dead and now Mikasa is replacing him as the protagonist. I was almost convinced.

EDIT: also, I cant explain why, but it seemed even more obvious in the anime that Angry Titan is Eren. Or maybe is just because I already know? I remember thinking it could be him while I was reading the manga, but I dont think I was so sure myself. But I didnt had one week wonder and speculate, since Ive read all the way to chapter 15 in one go.

I'm pretty sure the injection thing wasn't shown until after that battle in the manga. The anime switches some things around.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

jonjonaug posted:

I'm pretty sure the injection thing wasn't shown until after that battle in the manga. The anime switches some things around.

As other people have commented the training arc wasn't shown before Eren Titan in the manga to reveal his fighting style and develop him further, nor can you see hair/eye color in B/W, so there are fewer tells regardless. Not sitting around talking to people for weeks and weeks before reading the subsequent chapters also helps!

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Elias_Maluco posted:

I got that feeling too though I may be bias since I already know it's him. Eren's disembodied voice yelling "Fight!" just as rage titan turns the corner was the first alarm bell that sounded. The second was when he put up his dukes to fight the other titan; Seeing as how they showed the academy training before the defense of Trost and not after you get the idea that Eren is proficient at cqc even though Shardis doesn't mention it in the evaluation.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mio Bison posted:

As other people have commented the training arc wasn't shown before Eren Titan in the manga to reveal his fighting style and develop him further, nor can you see hair/eye color in B/W, so there are fewer tells regardless. Not sitting around talking to people for weeks and weeks before reading the subsequent chapters also helps!

Actually, we do see him fight and I think even see him use similar moves before he goes titan the first time. He has a bar brawl with Jean, and that's also the first time it's mentioned that he's extremely good at hand-to-hand combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Interestingly, neither of the people I'm separately watching the show with have suspected Eren is the rogue titan, though one of them is convinced Eren will be cut out of a titan's stomach any second now, and the other's not really buying his death either.

Which is to say, it's probably obvious it's Eren if someone else speculates it (as has happened in the anime thread), but that's not going to be an isolated viewer's first assumption. It's probably the same with Annie now that I think about it. I caught up with the manga as this thread was speculating about the female titan, and the evidence was pretty clear, but thinking back... I probably wouldn't have put the clues together myself, no matter how obvious they are when someone points them out. I just wouldn't have thought to put things together like that, unless I were obsessively rereading the story (as I have been lately).

Anyway, those are just my musings on the nature of the mystery.

It's really fun to see not one but two different blank stares when Eren-Titan punched out that other one. The palpable "wait... what?" in the air was delicious. This is a fun show to watch with the uninitiated.