Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Genocyber posted:

You basically have two options; use the regular Greatsword of Artorias or the Abyss Greatsword (cursed isn't worth it, since Abyss is just a better version of it).

For the former, something like this, if you want to use some miracles and spells. Though I'd go with 20 Int/40 Faith, for max Wog/Greatsword dance damage, and since sorcery's not all that great.

For the latter, this.

The former gives you access to miracles (and sorceries if you want), but the sword itself is pretty terrible (522 split is pretty weak, and the r2s are really bad, even by flashy r2 standards). The latter build gives you a much more powerful sword that has way better r2s.

Dex/Faith
Dex/Str (alt. you can go 27 str and 2hand for mac str scaling, freeing up points for vit/att/end)
(for both of these builds you can also go to 40 Faith if you're willing to sacrifice some Vit/End)

my sl40 dex build

General low sl invader 16str/14dex allows you to use a ton of weapons, and the 14 int allows you to use the Oolacile sorceries (like Hidden Weapon and Chameleon). You can go to 20 str/16 dex if you want to use Obsidian Greatsword.

If you need me to be more specific just say so.

Awesome, thank you. Out of curiosity, what weapons do you tend to use for that 40 SL dex build? I've been playing around with a 20 SL guy with 16 strength / 14 dex and using Uchigatana so far, which is pretty fun. I'm considering bumping the Dex to 16 for Washing Pole, but then even if I pump Vit and End only, at SL30 I'd be pretty squishy.

And what are the benefits of pumping Dex that high? I know it increases cast speed at that point, is it just to speed up the use of pyros and buff damage from Dex-scaling weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

CaptainStag posted:

It's a thing in the game that exists to be used, just like anything else. I wouldn't say it's a "sore loser" thing to do. Sometimes I do it for shits and giggles even if I accidentally kill myself by falling or something because hey, why not? It's not like it makes much of a difference anyway. Indictments are supposed to be a way to keep Darkwraiths in check but they mechanically fail because they're almost never relevant. The only reason you should care is on the rare occasion you're clearing a new area and someone is actually Darkmooning. Unlikely to happen and even if it does, most Darkmoons seem to be crap at pvp so I wouldn't worry too much.

If anything I throw out indictments if someone does a good job because a lot of Darkwraiths seem to appreciate them as a mark of pride.
Good to know!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Indictments still feel half-finished to me. Like, I'm one of those lore fiends who love how obscure some of the backstory in the game is, but if they'd included a line or two of item description saying: these never get used up, and you should use them freely, it would have been a good thing. As is I think a lot of people never drop 990 souls or whatever and even if they do suffer from Mega Potion Syndrome and never use them because what if I want it later?!?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honey Badger posted:

Awesome, thank you. Out of curiosity, what weapons do you tend to use for that 40 SL dex build? I've been playing around with a 20 SL guy with 16 strength / 14 dex and using Uchigatana so far, which is pretty fun. I'm considering bumping the Dex to 16 for Washing Pole, but then even if I pump Vit and End only, at SL30 I'd be pretty squishy.

And what are the benefits of pumping Dex that high? I know it increases cast speed at that point, is it just to speed up the use of pyros and buff damage from Dex-scaling weapons?

Balder Side Sword is an excellent Dex weapon.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Chard posted:

Indictments still feel half-finished to me. Like, I'm one of those lore fiends who love how obscure some of the backstory in the game is, but if they'd included a line or two of item description saying: these never get used up, and you should use them freely, it would have been a good thing. As is I think a lot of people never drop 990 souls or whatever and even if they do suffer from Mega Potion Syndrome and never use them because what if I want it later?!?

I think the downside of the Darkmoon system is how you can't be Darkmooned if you beat the boss. So most DWs will just rush through whatever area they're invading in, kill the boss, and never see a Moonbro.

I think in DS2, you should be able to Darkmoon sinners even if they beat the boss. That way, if you choose to Dickwrath, you're never really safe, and indictments would actually have an effect on invaders. The way it is now, it's way to hard to get consistant hits while Moonbro-ing, and you'll only really get DWs who want to be invaded.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

drat I suck at duels, I'm in the township and I keep having to go back to the depths to farm more humanity :smith:

Can I still use miracle based buffs like sunlight blade if vow of silence is active?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Not at all, the "Enter Anor Londo" achievement is actually very buggy and fails to trigger when you use the gargoyles half the time.
Hell, I didn't get my "Enter Lordran" achievement until the third time I'd come from the Asylum.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

What's the sweet spot for getting summoned in Anor Londo for O&S? I'm at 45 now but feel like I may be too low. OP says 40-55 but I'm not sure if that's still how things are today.

Chakron fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 20, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright I have to decide between one of three miracles when I'm hosting duels. TWOP seems pretty cheap and I'd feel hypocritical for doing it. Vow of Silence is pretty cool since I can buff first and then cast it. I'm not sure if that's better than GMB though. What do you think?

edit: someone invaded and did some sort of KJ hack, it was basically just a purple explosion that he used at will. I assume that's what it is at least.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 20, 2013

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
If you want to do a straight up tank strategy on four kings in NG+ learn and love iron flesh. Beautiful spell.

Edit - although you will need to wait for your transient curse to wear off before you can use it.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Vow of Silence shuts down all casting (including Pyro) but takes 2 attunement slots. I think GMB lasts longer but only protects you from magic damage.

If you're talking dueling I think it'd be pretty bad form to cast vow of silence after you buff unless you're giving them a chance to first. Probably I'd go with GMB if you had to pick between the 2 but another slot of WotG or a slot of force if you don't already have on would usually be more generally useful.

What the gently caress does kappa mean? I've got 3 message that seem nice like "gg kappa" or "neat build kappa" and it sounds dumb but doesn't make any sense. Nobody speaks English anymore and I'm getting old :( .

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Only Kappa I know is a mythological turtle-like creature from Japan.

Edit: It's also a Greek letter. But both don't make any sense.

Draven fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 20, 2013

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Vow of Silence shuts down all casting (including Pyro) but takes 2 attunement slots. I think GMB lasts longer but only protects you from magic damage.

If you're talking dueling I think it'd be pretty bad form to cast vow of silence after you buff unless you're giving them a chance to first. Probably I'd go with GMB if you had to pick between the 2 but another slot of WotG or a slot of force if you don't already have on would usually be more generally useful.

What the gently caress does kappa mean? I've got 3 message that seem nice like "gg kappa" or "neat build kappa" and it sounds dumb but doesn't make any sense. Nobody speaks English anymore and I'm getting old :( .

Okay if you've ever watched a Twitch stream, you probably saw that dumb black-and-white vaguely smug face of a fat dude emote? That's kappa. It's really loving stupid that those dudes are trying to use a twitch-specific emote on GFWL and expecting someone to get it. Also all the twitch emotes are dumb as gently caress anyway.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The turtle bit seems fairly self-explanatory to me, but maybe that's not it and it's just a dumb twitch thing. Dunno!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Okay if you've ever watched a Twitch stream, you probably saw that dumb black-and-white vaguely smug face of a fat dude emote? That's kappa. It's really loving stupid that those dudes are trying to use a twitch-specific emote on GFWL and expecting someone to get it. Also all the twitch emotes are dumb as gently caress anyway.

Get bent Nerd

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So this is what I'm going for, skill point wise : http://mmdks.com/2e4l

I'm using an Uchigatana right now and I am having much more fun this time around now that I actually understand the mechanics. I've even started going human a lot despite getting GiantDad'd several times.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Still dumb as hell no matter how much you like it. :colbert:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Okay if you've ever watched a Twitch stream,

No! I already said I was old!

Thanks though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I cast TWOP once right when I got invaded and got an easy backstab win. I felt so bad I messaged the guy apologizing :smith:

I agree that buffing before VoS is kind of lovely also.

I'll save these for the guy that invades with 64617 HP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Honey Badger posted:

I go dex on my sl40 just for the few dex weapons you can't make elemental (i.e. Gold Tracer, Chaos Blade, Queelag's Furysword, Silver Knight Spear, Silver Knight Straight Sword). If you want more survivability, just take the general low level build I linked and put as many points into Vit and End until you reach 40 or w/e level you want to be at. Elemental weapons are insanely good at low and mid-level PVP.

Something like this

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 20, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Any good builds or vids for the double tracer combo? Seems pretty deadly, though the gold R2 can leave you pretty vulnerable if you miss.

edit: http://mmdks.com/2e6o

??

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 20, 2013

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

What is this poo poo.

I've been getting raped by the Baldur Side Sword all weekend. When someone is good with it, they just keep flipping around, making one stab here or there, and I swear that thing's got a reach like the Dragonslayer Spear. It seems like I keep whiffing, no matter when I time my swings -- they just roll in and roll out. I probably just have the timing wrong, but what do you guys do to punish that playstyle (w/o resorting to dark bead, etc)?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Cool, let's equate rape with accomplishments in a loving video game. That's awesome.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
I love the Duke's Archives! So pretty and I love the ambient sound despite the fact that it can drive one crazy. Those squid creatures are perfect humanity farms! The Crystal Caves are beautiful! WOW!

Then, I started thinking about the DLC and how I haven't seen Dusk at the Darkwood Lake. Her summon sign disappeared. Would it be a good time to pay the DLC a visit? I'm at the forest right now and managed to secure a rare victory against someone who looked like Dusk with a Katana. That's how I ended up thinking about going into the DLC.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

This dude is who they're referring to.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Still dumb as hell no matter how much you like it. :colbert:

I really really like it a lot though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kappa is a twitch.tv smiley of one of their former employees, its primarily used to troll so they aren't actually complimenting you.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
"Oh, a fog gate. Surely I'm not at the boss already. I mean this spiral staircase kinda ominously gets more crystally as it goes up, but I'm sure that's not foreshadowing something. No sir."

And then I stepped through the fog gate. :stare:

It's amazing that everytime I think I know every trick this game can pull, it still surprises the gently caress out of me.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Well, two handing BKS with power within really changed the dynamics of the four kings fight, I had to wait like 5-10 seconds between each king.

Darkstalker Kaathe is not here. I even got rid of Frampth just to he could take his place, but no. Just abyss as far as the eye can see.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Did you place the Lord Vessel independently of Frampt? You can still drop down and place the Lord Vessel without Frampt's mouth transportation, which will also prevent Kaathe from appearing.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Just beat kalameet again for the first time since the patch and I noticed a message by the three items at the bottom if the ladder. It reads "A dragon high above the sky, out of sight of the naked eye". I've never seen this message before has it always been here? If so I've missed it every time.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

actionjackson posted:

Alright I have to decide between one of three miracles when I'm hosting duels. TWOP seems pretty cheap and I'd feel hypocritical for doing it. Vow of Silence is pretty cool since I can buff first and then cast it. I'm not sure if that's better than GMB though. What do you think?

edit: someone invaded and did some sort of KJ hack, it was basically just a purple explosion that he used at will. I assume that's what it is at least.

I loved Vow of Silence on my anti-magic build. It's awesome since it's fairly rare which means most people have no idea what you're casting when you do it. Then they lift their TCC to spam Dark Bead at you and.....uh oh.

I used Bellowing & Lingering on that char for maximum anti-magic assholery.

Look at what PvP has done to me. I used to be fairly honorable - at least I would try to return as good as I got. Not anymore. Been burned too many times. Now I run around in the Depths with a sackful of Lloyd's, Dung Pies, Poison Knives and a +5 Lightning Shotel.

Clearly I gazed too long into the Abyss...

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I realized I had turn a corner in my PvP life when I stopped returning bows that people did to me and just kicked them instead. Honor duels are for dumb babies anyway.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Never be the second person to bow.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I didn't see this posted, but according to Major Nelson's blog, the Games on Demand version of Dark Souls will be on sale next week, although the "on sale" part seems to be different depending on territory. Artorias of the Abyss DLC will be 50% off, though.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Can somebody help me cut off Seath's tail, I'm by the fog gate?

PSN is Acidsock, european server (with flickering), SL89

edit: oh haha, patch 1.09 just went live, no more flickering

edit 2: got it, thanks end-season

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 20, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EC posted:

I didn't see this posted, but according to Major Nelson's blog, the Games on Demand version of Dark Souls will be on sale next week, although the "on sale" part seems to be different depending on territory. Artorias of the Abyss DLC will be 50% off, though.

gently caress yes I've been meaning to grab the DLC.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Welp, looks like I'm getting the DLC again. :v:

I really don't mind supporting From with additional purchases. DeS and DaS are the perfect games for me.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wow, Kiln of the first flame and Gwyn was extraordinairely easy compared to some of the Lord soul bosses and their levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Spergminer posted:

Wow, Kiln of the first flame and Gwyn was extraordinairely easy compared to some of the Lord soul bosses and their levels.

Gwyn's difficulty varies hugely depending on how you play. You get people from time to time who take hours to kill him, and then there's people who either have greatshields or have practiced parrying and destroy him.

• Locked thread