Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Tonight should be pretty good. Cannibal Corpse, Immolation, and Napalm Death here in Seattle. Have to get in the mood listening to them before the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I'm really digging new Evile and DT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-0OOWH9Uo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTkwuyb_PLc

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Any Goons enjoy Machinae Supremacy? I can't for the life of me remember where I heard them first, but they're pretty excellent.

This song is my favorite by them, although not perfectly representative of their style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzHSxYvg-I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Annath posted:

Machinae Supremacy?

I like their album Overworld. It's just some fun, dumb metal I guess. Pretty enjoyable.
"Need For Steve" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R5MyNZS_Bo
Uses Commodore 64 SID chip for the keyboards.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I loved the work they did for the Jets n' Guns game soundtrack.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm a pretty big Machinae Supremacy fan.
Been into them for like ten years now, from back when they just had their free "webography" stuff, before they started putting out actual albums.

Deus Ex Machinae (also free now, used to be a commercial album) is decent but has quite a few fillers, Redeemer and Overworld are really good, and A View from the End of the World is pretty much one of my favourite albums of all time. These guys have an amazing sense of melody and on A View... it's just through the roof. Rise of a Digital Nation is sadly quite a bit weaker imo, but it's still good stuff with a couple real killer songs.

EDIT: drat, listening to their old and new stuff back to back reminds me how much Stjärnström has improved as a vocalist over the years. Back in the day his voice got a bit annoying at times, until I got used to it. He's a drat lot more versatile now, not doing just that nasal squeak all the time.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 20, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Nordick posted:

I'm a pretty big Machinae Supremacy fan.
Been into them for like ten years now, from back when they just had their free "webography" stuff, before they started putting out actual albums.

Deus Ex Machinae (also free now, used to be a commercial album) is decent but has quite a few fillers, Redeemer and Overworld are really good, and A View from the End of the World is pretty much one of my favourite albums of all time. These guys have an amazing sense of melody and on A View... it's just through the roof. Rise of a Digital Nation is sadly quite a bit weaker imo, but it's still good stuff with a couple real killer songs.

EDIT: drat, listening to their old and new stuff back to back reminds me how much Stjärnström has improved as a vocalist over the years. Back in the day his voice got a bit annoying at times, until I got used to it. He's a drat lot more versatile now, not doing just that nasal squeak all the time.
I totally agree about the vocals. Thats pretty much exactly how it went for me, needing some time to get used to them.

Although "Through the Looking Glass" is by far my favorite song of theirs, A View From the End of the World is IMO their strongest album. It has a really good mix of the SID/electronic sounds they made their name on, with the best bits and pieces from Overworld mixed in.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just put together a little photo montage for another thread and I knew it was bad but before I started digging I never knew just how bad it was:

Pictured: Slipknot headlining over Anthrax, Slayer, High on Fire, Fear Factory, Chimaira, In Flames, Machine Head, Children of Bodom, Dethklok, Lamb of God, Cannibal Corpse and Dillinger Escape Plan; slipknot starting a loving knotfest every summer like they're loving ozzy osbourne. How can this even happen? They've never recorded anything worth listening to in their entire career, and the band has like 10 people in it. How do you even make money in Clear Channel land with 10 people on stage and 3 of them smashing up their drum sets each night? Whose dick exactly did they suck? What's so loving special about slipknot?

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Whining about Slipknot.

Well, regardless of how anyone in the metal community may feel about them, Slipknot is a gateway drug for many kids to get into metal. Basically, an entire generation of kids shifted away from hard rock and into nu-metal/metal because of bands like Slipknot. Because of this accessibility, they were, and still are, immensely popular. According to their Wiki, the RIAA rates all of their albums as either Gold or Platinum, which is more than any of the bands you listed. If you think that festivals like this are anything more than massive promotional outlets, you're crazy. It also doesn't help that you found festivals that basically comprise of other gateway drug bands. Even Ozzfest had really good bands occasionally, but it was always only one or two out of a lineup of mostly nu-metal or mallcore. It may not be right through the eyes of a metalhead, but it does make perfect business sense. They want to sell tickets. We all know who Slipknot are and it's kind of hard to knock their success.

Edit: gently caress my grammar.

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 20, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

gggiiimmmppp posted:

What's so loving special about slipknot?
They're gimmicky and people are dumb and terrible and like gimmicky poo poo.

(See also: Machinae Supremacy :twisted:)

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Why does Slipknot have 9 people anyway? What do they all even do?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Houseplant posted:

It may not be right through the eyes of a metalhead, but it does make perfect business sense.
Why is that worthy of respect? "Well, it's profitable" is not a reason to respect something.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

het posted:

Why is that worthy of respect? "Well, it's profitable" is not a reason to respect something.

I don't think that's a reason to respect anyone, nor was I trying to say that they should be respected for it. I personally can't stand them. I was mainly trying to explain what reason there might be for having them headlining so many tours even over :airquote: respectable metal bands. Though I wouldn't call a few of the named ones respectable either for that matter.

Ainnir
Feb 22, 2011

het posted:

I may be mistaken, but I did not see the word respect anywhere in that post.

Besides, what's the deal with digging up some OLD tour posters of Slipknot?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Houseplant posted:

Well, regardless of how anyone in the metal community may feel about them, Slipknot is a gateway drug for many kids to get into metal.

I was actually just reminiscing about my first "metal" show, slipknot/kittie/will haven at the boathouse in Norfolk :allears:. So I guess you have a point. Slipknot just winds up at the top of the poster a lot no matter who else is there.

Cheapsteaks posted:

Why does Slipknot have 9 people anyway? What do they all even do?
When I saw them at the boathouse they literally just played their first album front to back in order, without much variation or anything, and most of the instruments were gradually destroyed as the show went on, particularly the drum sets, which they could spare because there were 3. All of this going on didn't seriously impact their ability to go on playing the songs. The guy with the dildo nose hung around by the stage for a bit and I got to jerk off the nose.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 20, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Pictured: Slipknot headlining over Anthrax, Slayer, High on Fire, Fear Factory, Chimaira, In Flames, Machine Head, Children of Bodom, Dethklok, Lamb of God, Cannibal Corpse and Dillinger Escape Plan; slipknot starting a loving knotfest every summer like they're loving ozzy osbourne. How can this even happen? They've never recorded anything worth listening to in their entire career, and the band has like 10 people in it. How do you even make money in Clear Channel land with 10 people on stage and 3 of them smashing up their drum sets each night? Whose dick exactly did they suck? What's so loving special about slipknot?

In the case of Knotfest; it's the Midwest. The gently caress else do they have to look forward to? A Juggalo festival? Night Ranger at the state fair?

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I was actually just reminiscing about my first "metal" show, slipknot/kittie/will haven at the boathouse in Norfolk :allears:. So I guess you have a point. Slipknot just winds up at the top of the poster a lot no matter who else is there.

Oh lord the Boathouse. That must've been the best-smelling crowd ever.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 20, 2013

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
As an aside, as much as I despise their music, Slipknot have more artistic integrity than Machine Head and a few others on that list.

But no, it shouldn't be surprising. Headliners are rarely picked purely on musical merit anyway, and rotational headliners aren't uncommon.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

comes along bort posted:

In the case of Knotfest; it's the Midwest. The gently caress else do they have to look forward to? A Juggalo festival? Night Ranger at the state fair?

They all come to Rock on the Range, which was this past weekend. There's usually enough decent bands that it's worth listening to another lovely metalcore band and feeling like you're in The Hills Have Eyes.

(Ghost was there, I feel like this thread should discuss its feelings regarding Ghost)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

When I saw them at the boathouse they literally just played their first album front to back in order, without much variation or anything, and most of the instruments were gradually destroyed as the show went on, particularly the drum sets, which they could spare because there were 3. All of this going on didn't seriously impact their ability to go on playing the songs. The guy with the dildo nose hung around by the stage for a bit and I got to jerk off the nose.

They have 3 drummers? You've got to be kidding me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Clit Avoider posted:

As an aside, as much as I despise their music, Slipknot have more artistic integrity than Machine Head and a few others on that list.

Oh come on, you're telling me this classic doesn't make you want to dust off your finest JNCO pipes and ball necklace and jumpdafuckup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzeJiHHQOY

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wws7mnMewPw
Click this link and then take a look at the number of views it has. There's your answer.

Here's some pretty cool real metal to redeem this post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW4yPJBIOOA
Any recommendations in the same vein as this with heavy metal vocals and death/black instrumentation? It's a neat mix that I'm surprised I haven't heard more often.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 21, 2013

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Can this Slipknot chat just stop? For gently caress sake. Listen to Tribulation or something.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2016

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I have been loving the Vhol album that came out this month. For those that haven't heard of them, it's the new band from Aesop Dekker of Ludicra and Agalloch, John Corbett and Sigrid Sheie from Hammers of Misfortune, and Mike Schiedt of Yob. Not a lot up on Youtube but here's a link for one of my favorite tracks, "Grace."

Oh hey, here's a video link for another song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g54f9r1B7g

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
leprous' new album Coal has leaked, and no surprise it's amazing.

Its definitely a little less "metal" than Bilateral, but it's also produced by Ihsahn, so you should know more or less what to expect, by which I mean expect the unexpected :haw:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

leprous' new album Coal has leaked, and no surprise it's amazing.

Its definitely a little less "metal" than Bilateral, but it's also produced by Ihsahn, so you should know more or less what to expect, by which I mean expect the unexpected :haw:

Yes, I didn't enjoy it on first listen but it grew on me instantly. The back half of the album is especially amazing.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Defiant Sally posted:

Yes, I didn't enjoy it on first listen but it grew on me instantly. The back half of the album is especially amazing.

I still don't think that Foe is a great opener, especially when compared to Bilateral. It looks like they pulled a Daft Punk

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Speedwolf have continued their propensity for amazing merch with the t-shirts they've printed for MDF. Just go check them out.

Bolzer 12" is out now. Get it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Speedwolf have continued their propensity for amazing merch with the t-shirts they've printed for MDF. Just go check them out.

gently caress me. Who's distributing it US side?

e: nm, it's NWN.
e2: it sold out in 1 day...gently caress.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 21, 2013

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

comes along bort posted:

Oh come on, you're telling me this classic doesn't make you want to dust off your finest JNCO pipes and ball necklace and jumpdafuckup?

I never knew Machine Head were THAT bad.

PS. I almost hit Report instead of Quote. I think that would have been warranted considering what you subjected me to.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, of course they didn't miss the metalcore bandwagon. And isn't it mediocre metalcore as well.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 21, 2013

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Big Willy Style posted:

PS. I almost hit Report instead of Quote. I think that would have been warranted considering what you subjected me to.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, of course they didn't miss the metalcore bandwagon. And isn't it mediocre metalcore as well.

Yes, this was rock bottom for Machine Head and man was it awful. I'm so glad that poo poo is gone.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I loved that song when I was 12. It was in my favourite Dragonball Z music video.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Big Willy Style posted:

I fully realized it when I saw them open for Metallica and they butchered a cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name, and their entire set before that was incredibly boring. Another band I can't quite figure out why people like so much are Job For A Cowboy. I saw them live once years back opening for Strapping Young Lad and there was very little variety between any of their songs. Did they get any better? cause I never bothered looking them up after that show

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Varg posted:

I fully realized it when I saw them open for Metallica and they butchered a cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name, and their entire set before that was incredibly boring. Another band I can't quite figure out why people like so much are Job For A Cowboy. I saw them live once years back opening for Strapping Young Lad and there was very little variety between any of their songs. Did they get any better? cause I never bothered looking them up after that show

I like their second album.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

comes along bort posted:

Pretty sure you mean Kik Wear and UFOs

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

This was the album of high school angst in 1999:

Machine Head, Soulfly (with guest vocals by Fred Durst), Sevendust, Marilyn Manson, and tons more. My brother and I listened to this at least once a week.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Guzwar posted:

This was the album of high school angst in 1999:

Machine Head, Soulfly (with guest vocals by Fred Durst), Sevendust, Marilyn Manson, and tons more. My brother and I listened to this at least once a week.
Counterpoint:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Never knew there was an album, and with two Creed songs on it. How bad was the movie that it required two Creed songs?!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Scream 3 was pretty atrocious.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Can this Slipknot chat just stop? For gently caress sake. Listen to Tribulation or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWAbWY3EQQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

The Clit Avoider posted:

ahaha, these are awesome.