Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
The awoxing meta-game as it exists is actually quite silly and terribly :ccp:

There absolutely should be a permissions system to enter a PC battle. You didn't pay for those clones, after all, so why should you get to make use of them if the people who paid for them don't want you to? It doesn't add up lore or logic-wise. Add this to a long line of laziness induced CCP gently caress-ups.

quote:

I have a couple of questions on dropsuits. The named ones you buy in the marketplace, do those just have better stats and more CPU / PG? I haven't dug through them much, but I imagine there are suits that have more CPU / PG over armor, vice versa, and everything in between?

Also, hacking speed, there is a skill for that right? Wanting to focus on assault rifles and hacking if possible and be a point capturing madman.

Yes, Militia dropsuits are the lowest tier and have passable CPU/PG. Then come Standard dropsuits with slightly more. Then Advanced, with a little more than that. And then Prototype, with the highest CPU/PG.

There is a skill for hacking, but don't worry too much about it. Investing in weapon and dropsuit fitting skills should be the priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hacking is improved by three things currently: The skill "Systems hacking", Hacking modules, and the Minmatar Logistics suit.

In the previous build (before the min logi bonus), I ran a proto assault with 4 L5 hacking mods. That gave me a hack speed of around 2 seconds, and a counter hack slightly quicker than a regular hack.

It's VERY powerful as a skill, but it's critical that your core survival skills come first. Being able to flashhack a point in 2 seconds is no use if the enemy can kill you in 1.5.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Some of you might be interested in my second article!

I swear, advertising here won't become a habit.

http://themittani.com/news/dust-514-eve-culture-shock-and-grief-university

Excellent article, keep them coming, would read again, A++.

Also, now that I finally the Education Ministry churning out a revised skill plan and fittings They're changing skills. :argh:

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Exioce posted:

The awoxing meta-game as it exists is actually quite silly and terribly :ccp:

There absolutely should be a permissions system to enter a PC battle. You didn't pay for those clones, after all, so why should you get to make use of them if the people who paid for them don't want you to? It doesn't add up lore or logic-wise. Add this to a long line of laziness induced CCP gently caress-ups.

Yes, Militia dropsuits are the lowest tier and have passable CPU/PG. Then come Standard dropsuits with slightly more. Then Advanced, with a little more than that. And then Prototype, with the highest CPU/PG.

There is a skill for hacking, but don't worry too much about it. Investing in weapon and dropsuit fitting skills should be the priority.

Wait, anyone can join those battles? So you can just join and then gently caress around which basically amounts to griefing?

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Some of you might be interested in my second article!

I swear, advertising here won't become a habit.

http://themittani.com/news/dust-514-eve-culture-shock-and-grief-university

Very good read to wake up to on my daily themittani.com routine. Also you neckbeards might like to see that CCP is dealing with the SP sinks: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=79780&p=1

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

Is there a good wiki online somewhere? I want to increase my PG and can't figure out how. Spent 10 minutes digging through skill trees and 10 minutes digging through the market and couldn't find anything.

You can increase your PG/CPU by raising Dropsuit Core Upgrades; it gives a +1% per skill level to both. Getting Dropsuit Core Upgrades to level 1 unlocks Dropsuit Electronics and Dropsuit Engineering which give a +5% increase to CPU and Power Grid respectively. The higher tier suits also have more base PG/CPU and receive more of a boost from these skills. Also The standard version of any weapon/module has much lower fitting requirements than, the militia variant.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Wait, anyone can join those battles? So you can just join and then gently caress around which basically amounts to griefing?

As I'm reading it, yes. And contrary to popular opinion, it's not meta-gaming, it's just exploiting something CCP was too lazy to code out.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I'm pretty sure you have be in one of the participating Corporations or an 'allied' one (i think there is such a system) to jump into a PC battle.

So, it's legit. Vet your members, bitches.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Exioce posted:

As I'm reading it, yes. And contrary to popular opinion, it's not meta-gaming, it's just exploiting something CCP was too lazy to code out.

The idea of griefing coming from infiltrated ranks in an FPS is an incredible idea if they make it suitably challenging to actually get spies in.

^^^^^^^^ Oh, well what he said I guess. In that case it's a really crazy thing that teamgriefing can mean so much in the context of the metagame. That's awesome.

It would be interesting if they made it such that a team griefer can be outed for certain behavior after a certain point in the match, or at least tagged so they appear like the enemy even though they spawn inside your base. Really the coolest thing would be for the game to recognize them as a member of the other team, even if they are spawning on your side. Seems like there's a lot of potential with that sort of stuff.

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 20, 2013

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Utgardaloki posted:

I'm pretty sure you have be in one of the participating Corporations or an 'allied' one (i think there is such a system) to jump into a PC battle.

So, it's legit. Vet your members, bitches.

If it's that then I have less issue with it, except that in EVE you can set different access permissions for different alliance members and the same should be the case with Dust. Corps don't have access to each others hangars or even stations unless someone consciously flicks a switch. My impression that anyone at all could just hop in was mistaken then, but the system still needs work.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Exioce posted:

If it's that then I have less issue with it, except that in EVE you can set different access permissions for different alliance members and the same should be the case with Dust. Corps don't have access to each others hangars or even stations unless someone consciously flicks a switch. My impression that anyone at all could just hop in was mistaken then, but the system still needs work.

You have to be a member of the corporation involved in the battle. The trick comes from that a squad leader pulls in his entire squad who could be from where ever. So if you're willing to burn an intelligence asset over the battle you can change a fight from 16v16 to 10v6v16. The intelligent solution is to do basic vetting of your membership, and have a holding corp. The holding corp attacks the district, or holds the district that is attacked. Alts in the holding corp then form squads and pull people into battle from the main corp. This means that unless the spy gets into the holding corp's membership, or there are multiple trusted spies, damage is limited.

This is a perfectly acceptable solution and all CCP needs to do is point and laugh at people who don't take a few basic precautions.

edit: grammar

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want to join the cool kids' club. Applied as mr capps isdabest.

Also playing this with a mouse and keyboard is pretty much an instant "I win" button in one on one battles.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm liking this game, it feels pretty good and I'm getting a pretty good k/d ratio by sniping, but I want to murder whichever guy decided to make the game have a red team and a blue team, but regardless of which team you're on allies show up in blue on the HUD, except in respawn screens, where red just means "red team" and not "the enemy." It's humiliating to admit but it took me like 3 full games before I was sure which CMM health bar on the HUD was mine (and 2 games to figure out what the gently caress a "cmm" was).

Is there a good wiki online somewhere? I want to increase my PG and can't figure out how. Spent 10 minutes digging through skill trees and 10 minutes digging through the market and couldn't find anything.

I'm not sure what you mean, I don't know of any situation in a match where a red HUD element means anything but "enemy". The red MCC is always the enemy MCC.

Also, it's been mentioned that higher-tier dropsuits have increased CPU/PG, the only other thing they have is more module slots. There are also dropsuit modules that increase CPU and PG, under the Electronics and Engineering categories respectively (IIRC). Skills that increase dropsuit CPU/PG were mentioned, but there are also skills that reduce the amounts required by certain things like weapons or modules; "efficacy" is the term they use, I think. All of these skill bonuses are only mentioned in the detailed info, which you can see by hitting triangle on the skill (if using a controller).

sleeptalker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 20, 2013

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Samahiel posted:

You have to be a member of the corporation involved in the battle. The trick comes from that a squad leader pulls in his entire squad who could be from where ever. So if you're willing to burn an intelligence asset over the battle you can change a fight from 16v16 to 10v6v16. The intelligent solution is to do basic vetting of your membership, and have a holding corp. The holding corp attacks the district, or holds the district that is attacked. Alts in the holding corp then form squads and pull people into battle from the main corp. This means that unless the spy gets into the holding corp's membership, or there are multiple trusted spies, damage is limited.

This is a perfectly acceptable solution and all CCP needs to do is point and laugh at people who don't take a few basic precautions.

Ah, then that's cool if it's necessarily a corp member who has to pull the teamkilling squad in. You win the battle but burn a spy. Fair and justifiable trade-off.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since I'm feeling pretty spergy today and I realized CCP has given out the loot table on salvages I decided to set this up. Its to make a list of whats the most "common" item and is basically worthless for the market, when that gets introduced, and what items we can gouge prices for both EVE side and DUST side.

We still need the stats on Dropsuits & Vehicles for the loot table.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiwoVA82OjT4dDMzamhKV0hNWFRyTTVXX2dkeERMTUE#gid=0

Dr. Glasscock posted:

I feel like most official game forums have that sort of audience.

Yeah, which is why I never really bother with the forums. I'm beginning to realize why I hate most communities surrounding a single game.

edit

Also CCP got back on the looting thing, you can read CCP Blam!'s response here:

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=832623#post832623

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 20, 2013

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Exioce posted:

Ah, then that's cool if it's necessarily a corp member who has to pull the teamkilling squad in. You win the battle but burn a spy. Fair and justifiable trade-off.

It's actually surprisingly hard to win the battle in the chaos that comes with the awox hit, the teamkillers themselves will not be very effective at teamkilling, as the venture requires basically going into the fight with the most basic dropsuit and weapons, in order to minimize your personal loss of isk, and going up against people in rather more capable suits with high end weaponry.

Really in order to be effective, it requires coordination with the opposing side prior to the match, but even then it can be flubbed if the 10 people left on the awoxed side can push and hold objectives and destroy the enemy MCC despite the awox.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

It's actually surprisingly hard to win the battle in the chaos that comes with the awox hit, the teamkillers themselves will not be very effective at teamkilling, as the venture requires basically going into the fight with the most basic dropsuit and weapons, in order to minimize your personal loss of isk, and going up against people in rather more capable suits with high end weaponry.

Really in order to be effective, it requires coordination with the opposing side prior to the match, but even then it can be flubbed if the 10 people left on the awoxed side can push and hold objectives and destroy the enemy MCC despite the awox.

I thought the line of thinking was to wait for teammates to cluster up and then chuck Remote Explosives like there's no tomorrow.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

IronSaber posted:

I thought the line of thinking was to wait for teammates to cluster up and then chuck Remote Explosives like there's no tomorrow.

That only really works once, because then they scatter, if they didn't already realize "Hey this guy isn't in our corp, he must be an awoxer!"

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

At the very least, an awoxing squad can sit in the MCC and suicide over and over. 6 squad members * 15 minutes / 10 second respawn = 540 clones you could burn if you were on top of things.

The biggest danger to an awoxing squad is that the red team (in this case, the good guys) take all the points and destroy the MCC before the blue team's clones are exhausted.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PhilippAchtel posted:

At the very least, an awoxing squad can sit in the MCC and suicide over and over. 6 squad members * 15 minutes / 10 second respawn = 540 clones you could burn if you were on top of things.

The biggest danger to an awoxing squad is that the red team (in this case, the good guys) take all the points and destroy the MCC before the blue team's clones are exhausted.

But the team being AWOXed, if they lose, still lose a minimum of 100 clones if they lose the battle don't they?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm liking this game, it feels pretty good and I'm getting a pretty good k/d ratio by sniping, but I want to murder whichever guy decided to make the game have a red team and a blue team, but regardless of which team you're on allies show up in blue on the HUD, except in respawn screens, where red just means "red team" and not "the enemy." It's humiliating to admit but it took me like 3 full games before I was sure which CMM health bar on the HUD was mine (and 2 games to figure out what the gently caress a "cmm" was).

It's MCC (Mobile command center, i think) and the spawn screen blue/red poo poo is bugged. Ignore it. Go by the HUD when you're alive.

As for the joining PC/corp battles, any corp member can join AND bring a full squad of dudes from anywhere with them. We could load up a game with allies and really only require one person to bring in squads from other corps. Once they were in the game lobby in the Warbarge, they could reform/change up their squads however they like (I think, because :ccp: :dust:).

Even the AWOX squad doesn't succeed in cloning out their side, they can still really gently caress that side's action up, and cause some serious damage to the corp/players wallets. Or maybe not, as every corp has billions of isk stashed away, apparently. If nothing else, the AWOXers get to enjoy the tears of the people whose game they hosed up.

Now then, if the AWOX squad has the benefit of allies on the opposing team, they could set up a series of uplinks camped by dudes with shotguns or HMGs or other good CQB gear, and spawn there, feeding that team warpoints while depleting their own clones. Careful oragnization of spawns could let the AWOX squad rack up WP and orbitals they could use to teamkill, while the opposing team gets orbitals to regularly kill the enemy team. This is basically what people would do back in Call of Duty to cheat themselves a tactical nuke (a 25 kill reward that grants an immediate victory for your side), where they called it "Boosting".

Also, you may not out your spy. Depending on the situation/luck, the spy may be able to bring in his squad, drop squad, and leave before anyone in the corp notices and remembers his name. The corp won't have a clue as to who the spy is, (other than 'online' people at the time, but who knows who that would work out considering how it takes like five minutes for you to timeout and appear offline) and will subsequently get a bit more paranoid, though increased security may lead to the spy getting outted that way.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Uba Stij posted:

But the team being AWOXed, if they lose, still lose a minimum of 100 clones if they lose the battle don't they?

Something like that, but the objective is to make the blue team lose all their clones, if possible, especially if you are losing a sleeper agent in the process.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

It don't work quite that fast. In between the time it takes you to push the button, your corpse to hit the ground, and the respawn timer it is closer to 15 or even 20 seconds between suicides.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Playing the game in 480/576 increases the framerate and flow, and in most cases also the input lag. I recommend some of you try it out for squadding with SMGs and whatnot in close messy combat.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

With FF on, can one destroy their own turret/supply/CRU installations?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IronSaber posted:

With FF on, can one destroy their own turret/supply/CRU installations?

Yep!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Interesting...

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
In case anyone was ever wondering, it would take about 6 years to max out the currently available infantry skills with both active and passive boosters on non-stop. 9 years if you're an unboosted plebe. With the changes in the dropsuit multipliers you'll get a whopping 0.4 years knocked off your total time either way you go. This is barring any new skills added to the skill tree in the next 6-9 years.

For those of you who also want to join me in :spergin: and check my math, the current SP total required to max infantry skills is 167,274,960 which will drop to 156,081,840 once the dropsuit multipliers come into effect. My numbers are based on Eltra's calculations from the first page looking at 537k SP/wk boosted and 358k SP/wk unboosted.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Shoren posted:

In case anyone was ever wondering, it would take about 6 years to max out the currently available infantry skills with both active and passive boosters on non-stop. 9 years if you're an unboosted plebe. With the changes in the dropsuit multipliers you'll get a whopping 0.4 years knocked off your total time either way you go. This is barring any new skills added to the skill tree in the next 6-9 years.

For those of you who also want to join me in :spergin: and check my math, the current SP total required to max infantry skills is 167,274,960 which will drop to 156,081,840 once the dropsuit multipliers come into effect. My numbers are based on Eltra's calculations from the first page looking at 537k SP/wk boosted and 358k SP/wk unboosted.

This is assuming the skill tree remains unchanged and CCP doesn't add skill trees for stuff like fighters and more weapons. :v:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

IronSaber posted:

This is assuming the skill tree remains unchanged and CCP doesn't add skill trees for stuff like fighters and more weapons. :v:

Well, I didn't include vehicle or corporation skills into those calculations, so if you want to be a vehicle master as well it'll probably take you close to double that amount of time.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Shoren posted:

Shoren posted:

Well, I didn't include vehicle or corporation skills into those calculations, so if you want to be a vehicle master as well it'll probably take you close to double that amount of time.

These are really great figures for propaganda if we want to keep the FPS flavor of the month kiddies away from the game. Maybe it should go as a warning next to the skill plan so people understand why they shouldn't just throw away SP into skills they don't need.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Sammus posted:

It don't work quite that fast. In between the time it takes you to push the button, your corpse to hit the ground, and the respawn timer it is closer to 15 or even 20 seconds between suicides.

The average comes out to just over 18 seconds per clone wasted by my initial calculations. Before an awoxing squad goes in, it should be determined if its a clone burn squad or general fuckery. If it is a clone burn squad then suicide spam would have to start immediately on spawn.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
In as Farcrythree Blooddragon. I love hearing EVE stories but I didn't so much enjoy playing EVE itself so this might be perfect.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Shoren posted:

For sake of argument, we should just say it will take infinity years to skill into everything.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

So I was perusing IRC when Sammus, teamkiller extraordinaire, used the phrase "Mittani Akbar."

Yes I know I'm a bad person and I don't care.

JerryRudd
Apr 17, 2002

Power of the Pornstache
Applied under character name: Jerry Rudd

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

How lucrative are mercenary battles compared to academy ones?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

How lucrative are mercenary battles compared to academy ones?

They aren't worth the extra time you have to wait in the lobby. CCP is supposed to be adding more incentives to play FW battles.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Have any of you guys actually gotten into the corp? I still haven't seen anything show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Have any of you guys actually gotten into the corp? I still haven't seen anything show up.

I have yet to see an application from you. Cleared about 25 people since you posted, but no in game app. Goonfeet.

• Locked thread