Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alain Perdrix posted:

Man, I wish it was possible for two or three rounds to go by in this game without a whole lot of "ironic" and/or unironic racism!
Red Orchestra/RO2 has always been a stupendous honeypot for racist people. I think attracting all the people who jack off to pictures of the SS and think it's cool to name a company "Jackboot Games" is part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Red Orchestra/RO2 has always been a stupendous honeypot for racist people. I think attracting all the people who jack off to pictures of the SS and think it's cool to name a company "Jackboot Games" is part of the problem.

No, I have already encountered more racist stuff in this than I have in my entire RO/DH/RO2 experience. Virtually every single game is HILARIOUS "ohhh for de emeperor" racist poo poo.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Welp that's super encouraging. :(

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

An Enormous Boner posted:

No, I have already encountered more racist stuff in this than I have in my entire RO/DH/RO2 experience. Virtually every single game is HILARIOUS "ohhh for de emeperor" racist poo poo.

Same here, and confronting it just gets the PERHAPS YOU ARE THE REAL RACIST?!?!?! reply, without fail. It's aggravating.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?
I have had better luck on the action servers than the realism servers. Most of the people on the action servers have been pretty relaxed and forgiving of stuff like the accidental release of a katana into their back when I stopped sprinting, but the minute I jump into a realism server there's a sudden barrage of "in character" racism and the chat is full of the Allies throwing out as many slurs as they can and the Axis replacing r with l and adding a u to the end of everything.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
The game kinda encourages it with that banzai charge ability. Clearly General Westmoreland was right when he said the ORIENTAL does not value human life as highly as Westerners.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Throckwoddle posted:

I have had better luck on the action servers than the realism servers. Most of the people on the action servers have been pretty relaxed and forgiving of stuff like the accidental release of a katana into their back when I stopped sprinting, but the minute I jump into a realism server there's a sudden barrage of "in character" racism and the chat is full of the Allies throwing out as many slurs as they can and the Axis replacing r with l and adding a u to the end of everything.

Please do not play Action mode. To do that is to completely miss everything interesting about the game.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Please do not play Action mode. To do that is to completely miss everything interesting about the game.

I agree, I was just talking about the communities of the two modes. In the few hours I spent in each I encountered a lot more frustration in realism with lots of racism, deliberate team killers, and general antagonism towards teammates. I prefer the realism mode and especially the removal of the killed from camera, it just seems like there's a much larger group of toxic players in realism.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Throckwoddle posted:

I agree, I was just talking about the communities of the two modes. In the few hours I spent in each I encountered a lot more frustration in realism with lots of racism, deliberate team killers, and general antagonism towards teammates. I prefer the realism mode and especially the removal of the killed from camera, it just seems like there's a much larger group of toxic players in realism.

Get ready for a lot more team killing once free players get in, gotta get those fancier guns somehow.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

The Pacific campaign really was about humans vs. nonhumans and that legacy is not very well acknowledged. Plus militarism in shooters. It's depressing how many people in those games still run around with names out of Stephen Ambrose books (REAL HISTORY). There was one guy who was just called STEPHEN AMBROSE. :circlefap:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahakyla posted:

I feel like we as a group should move beyond teamkilling and whining about it.

In Chivalry, TK is just a part of the game that happens all the time and mostly, people just roll with it. In case of RO and its mods, we have a chaotic battlefield with unclear positions. Friendly fire happens. War is hell.

I have made it a habit to just automatically forgivea TK unless it was clearly malicious spawn griefing. Other than that, I rest my case with the phrase of "war is hell".

People who complain about TK never played RO1.

Good luck capturing a point when half your team is sending grenades right into your face.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I don't care for yet another war shooter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mans posted:

People who complain about TK never played RO1.

Good luck capturing a point when half your team is sending grenades right into your face.

Exactly. Getting into a point when two tanks and four guys with grenades are supporting you is a predicament where TK happens all the time. And if you want realism, then you deal with it.

In Ro2, we have many objectives that are demanding to capture without a grenade spam and it is inevitable that someone runs in to them.

However, the other common occurence: a player has poked through enemy positions and is much farther than rest of his team, peeking and crawling to avoid attention. How on earth does he think the rest of his side views him? As a lone hero who braved the odds, or yet another enemy, acting like the enemy, side by side with the enemies.

I think TK should automatically be forgiven and if someone wants to bitch about it, vote kick.

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Trigger warning: Hate speech

Throckwoddle posted:

accidental release of a katana into their back when I stopped sprinting
You might already know this (it might not even work with the katana or something) but you can right click to put down your weapon and stop your banzai charge. Your sprint continues, you just cancel your attack.

One of my favorite little things about RO2/Rising storm are the English voice actors with hilarious German/Russian/American accents. Totally takes the sting of a frustrating death away when your character says "Ah'm sorry pa... I let ya down." :911: as he falls to the dirt.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Throckwoddle posted:

Goon working with Tripwire, throw in a filter or just make that POS Punkbuster take away these peoples option to communicate forever.

Seriously, where did these goddamn social rejects come from? I don't ever recall seeing these type of people in my 1942 expanded or realism mod days.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, where did these goddamn social rejects come from? I don't ever recall seeing these type of people in my 1942 expanded or realism mod days.

Reddit.

folgore posted:

The game kinda encourages it with that banzai charge ability. Clearly General Westmoreland was right when he said the ORIENTAL does not value human life as highly as Westerners.

Don't forget suicide grenade attacks!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

SeanBeansShako posted:

Goon working with Tripwire, throw in a filter or just make that POS Punkbuster take away these peoples option to communicate forever.

I've heard some real horror stories from the old guard here at the office about the racist fucks that make up the community, certain mod teams and server admins. Often times it goes beyond being funny or offensive and just makes me depressed. If there was some way I could track these people in a database, ban their accounts and then send them a picture of me donating their money to Equality Now I would in a heartbeat.

There's just something about the Pacific theater that brings the Asian racism out of people the same way that the inclusion of the Wehrmacht brings the anti-Semites and homophobes out of the woodwork. :suicide:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
That and playing Allies on RO2 makes everyone speak in lovely Russian accents.

The foot/grenade icon in RS means you stepped on a grenade trap, right?

How do you do booby traps like that?

I haven't played axis in RS yet. Do all units have the katana?

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The foot/grenade icon in RS means you stepped on a grenade trap, right?

How do you do booby traps like that?

I haven't played axis in RS yet. Do all units have the katana?
-Yes

-Using a Japanese grenade, point it at the ground and press Mouse 2

-Only officers and the commander I think

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Everytime I hear the racism I'm reminded of this one guy who would always come on my favorite server everyday and rant about how "he hates niggers so goddamn much" but when you told him that's racist he would spend two hours ranting about how "it's not racist since he doesn't mean black people!". I think he was trying to recruit for his 'clan' or something.

RS looks like a blast, though I'm wondering about the maps, are they diverse or is it just jungle after jungle

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I was a little happy to hear someone get angry and yell "GOD drat loving SLANT EYED FUCKER" and, when admonished, apologized profusely.

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I was a little happy to hear someone get angry and yell "GOD drat loving SLANT EYED FUCKER" and, when admonished, apologized profusely.
Hahaha

I always thought the blatant racism of both sides in RO2 (the in-game dialogue, I mean, not idiot players) was a really positive element of the game. You see how desperately they're trying to dehumanize each other while it's clear from your objective standpoint playing both teams that the reality of the situation is you're a bunch of sad soldiers taken from your homes to bleed out in the dirt. The lines like "I'd kill for just one drink of water" and the horrible screams of pain that last forever coming from the dude next to you that got shot in the gut really brought that home. And it felt like it was only happening because your commanders screamed that you'd be a hero for doing it. I felt the completely see-through war propaganda racism portrayed by the games makes the same poo poo employed today a little more obvious.

I guess not everybody took that lesson from it. :v:

milk man fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 20, 2013

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

jb7 posted:

Don't forget suicide grenade attacks!

But Banzai charges and grenade suicide attacks were used by the Japanese during that conflict? Why is it racist to portray these tactics in a videogame?

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Peruser posted:

RS looks like a blast, though I'm wondering about the maps, are they diverse or is it just jungle after jungle

Currently there's a pretty good split between jungle and urban with a beachhead map thrown in there.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

GyverMac posted:

But Banzai charges and grenade suicide attacks were used by the Japanese during that conflict? Why is it racist to portray these tactics in a videogame?

It's not racist to include banzai charges and suicide attacks, but they do get a certain subset of players to start yelling stuff like "FUCKA YOO GEE EEYYYEEE!" or "THOSE SLANT-EYED CUNTS ARE CHARGING, GUN EM DOWN!"

The weird thing, it's probably realistic.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Was I supposed to get into the beta if I preordered through Steam?

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Yes, yes you were.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I played a few rock solid matches tonight. The Japanese commander was constantly communicating and the squad leaders (me, one match) were responding with markers and positions. The weirdest part was that the public players were responding to all of this, so that each banzai charge was properly coordinated and the team won because of a combination of leadership and participation.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jb7 posted:

It's not racist to include banzai charges and suicide attacks, but they do get a certain subset of players to start yelling stuff like "FUCKA YOO GEE EEYYYEEE!" or "THOSE SLANT-EYED CUNTS ARE CHARGING, GUN EM DOWN!"

The weird thing, it's probably realistic.

It's a bit of a paradox. Obviously you shouldn't throw out racist insults while playing RO or RS but not even the most PC person would avoid them if they were on the frontlines :v:

But on the other hand, they're not. They're dudes sitting in a chair. Servers that ban you for swearing are idiotic, but there's a line that separates swearing and being a racist poo poo.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

I played a few rock solid matches tonight. The Japanese commander was constantly communicating and the squad leaders (me, one match) were responding with markers and positions. The weirdest part was that the public players were responding to all of this, so that each banzai charge was properly coordinated and the team won because of a combination of leadership and participation.

To the credit of the guy I posted about previously, screaming because he had a bad arty point, I rejoined after making that post. He calmed down and the whole team started working together and it went from adding bodies to the body pile to winning easily.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah I had a bunch of rounds like that the other day with this one guy calling himself Colonel Ichicki or something. He took charge over mic and people actually followed suit. Nothing beats scaring the begeezus out of the americans on that night map (whose name i forget atm) with a massive Banzai charge! It might be that the americans we played against sucked, but man, those coordinated Banzai charges were almost too effective on certain maps.

EDIT: Thanks
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 21, 2013

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

GyverMac posted:

Also, what does the foot icon indicate when you play as a japanese soldier? And how do you perform a fake garand-ping as an american soldier? I read somewhere that you could do that to trick the enemy.

The foot icon in the bottom right indicates how many booby traps you have set up and it is also the icon for booby traps in the kill ticker. The ping trick appears to be the level 50 ability the M1 Garand gets, at least according to that weapon level up guide someone posted. I've never used it and I've never seen it used so I can't say for sure if that's accurate.

Throckwoddle fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 21, 2013

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

It seems community sentiment on racially charged mockery/epitaphs is finally coming around. The admins of the more popular US central servers are cracking down on immature/tasteless shogun 2 impressions! I doubt it'll be stamped out entirely in a game where US soldiers battle cry "I think these japs are turning yellow" but even the voice actor who utters that line puts a forth a detachedly unenthusiastic delivery. I imagine him repeatedly uttering "for historical accuracy" even after cashing the paycheck.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 21, 2013

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
So is this really 55GB? Can I just install the Rising Storm Beta and play if I don't have RO2 installed? That's already 18GB. I'll have to DL the game over 3 months if it requires all 3.

The Steam install prompt says:

RO2- 20GB
RO2 Beta- 15GB
RS- 18GB

For fucks sake

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

So is this really 55GB? Can I just install the Rising Storm Beta and play if I don't have RO2 installed? That's already 18GB. I'll have to DL the game over 3 months if it requires all 3.

The Steam install prompt says:

RO2- 20GB
RO2 Beta- 15GB
RS- 18GB

For fucks sake

You don't need the RO2 Beta.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Party Plane Jones posted:

So...40GB still. I didn't think I'd have to reinstall RO2 to play. :/ Cool well I still can't download this poo poo

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 22, 2013

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Party Plane Jones posted:

You don't need the RO2 beta and if you just want to play RS install the RS Beta and leave RO2 uninstalled for now. Once the game goes live the beta app will disappear and everything will be on the main RO2 and you'll need to re-download that.

Fair warning to those with limited bandwidth, the RS Beta is getting 4 gig updates every couple of days while we iterate on maps based on beta feedback and data mining and it's going to be that way until we're ready to launch.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonswhoplayrisingstorm

GO HERE TO JOIN THE STEAM GROUP THAT I MADE!!!!!!!!

edit: Please go join it.

edit: OK it was set to Private. Now it's public. Join!

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 22, 2013

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

I'm starting to see why this board loathes TWI so much.

Scroll down for response from tripwire dev.

I like how he didn't actually know how many points are awarded for kills.

edit: Apparently this is the guy. Amazing.

milk man fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003
Yikes. What's so hard about saying "thanks for your input, I'll keep it in mind"?

• Locked thread