Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

It's quite possible that your machine is fine, and the machine that recorded every one of those tapes was running slow. Have you tried a tape from another source?

I have 6 factory tapes, I was hoping to avoid listening to Barbara Streisand but I guess that's the price I must pay. The first one I tried last night was a commercial recording of some big band music, but in general I can only really notice the issue with vocals so if it was having the same problem I didn't notice.

You'd think it would be easier to sync this sort of thing... I'd have each machine lay a very narrow sync track along one edge as it recorded, so during playback you could read the sync track and adjust your motor speed accordingly. I guess back when these things were in more common use, most people would have relatively new (or recently-serviced) machines that had been adjusted using a tone tape, so speed drift wasn't as much of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Post pictures of it! Reel to reels always seemed really cool to me.

Speaking of media which comes on reels, somewhere in my garage I have my old 8mm and a box full of old cartoon reels. I wonder if they're worth anything? The reels are in great shape, last I checked.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

Speaking of media which comes on reels, somewhere in my garage I have my old 8mm and a box full of old cartoon reels. I wonder if they're worth anything? The reels are in great shape, last I checked.

What cartoons?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DicktheCat posted:

What cartoons?

I waaaaant to say some old Betty Boop and some other random cartoons, like one off type things? I want to say maybe some old Popeye too, but I honestly can't remember, I saw that box when I moved into the house like 6 years ago and haven't seen it since.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Pham Nuwen posted:

You'd think it would be easier to sync this sort of thing... I'd have each machine lay a very narrow sync track along one edge as it recorded, so during playback you could read the sync track and adjust your motor speed accordingly. I guess back when these things were in more common use, most people would have relatively new (or recently-serviced) machines that had been adjusted using a tone tape, so speed drift wasn't as much of a problem.

The upper end stuff had hysteresis sync motors which made this sort of thing negligible, but they do, and will cost you.

Code Jockey posted:

I bought a massive collection (1000+) of commercial super8 films on a whim and bit off a bit more than I could chew. I have not as of yet been able to get rid of them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Here, have a lovely picture!

Is there a decent place to upload video clips beside Youtube? My Youtube account is tied to my main gmail account so :tinfoil:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vimeo is pretty good too.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Years ago, someone coined a phrase to identify a piece of new technology that was significantly inferior to the low-tech device it replaced. The specific example he used was the electric can opener: inferior in every way to a manual can opener. It was larger, took up counter space, required electricity, couldn't be cleaned in the dishwasher and didn't open cans any faster. Does anyone know the term I'm talking about? And do you know who I'm thinking of? Because I'm drawing a blank. Two blanks.

Oh, also, the reel-to-reel machine: commercial RTRs have a pitch knob to speed up or slow down playback. Your machine may have one.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You can also tune reel to reels and turntables using a tuning fork and a recording that you know the pitch of.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I googled a little and found this: http://wordspy.com/words/electric-can-openerquestion.asp

quote:

Ultimately, the question for potential Iridium buyers was what has sometimes been called the electric-can-opener question. Why pay a lot of money to buy something which you know to be inferior to an older, cheaper technology?
—Editorial, "The sky's not the limit," The Globe and Mail, August 23, 1999

No luck finding the article referred to, assuming it's the right one.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is there a decent place to upload video clips beside Youtube? My Youtube account is tied to my main gmail account so :tinfoil:

That looks awesome. I love the aesthetic of that thing.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pham Nuwen posted:

What a beautiful machine!

Try inviting yourself to Gmail and creating a second, anonymous Gmail account; that'll let you open a second YouTube account. (I don't think this has changed with the new Gmail look; I did it successfully as recently as late 2011.)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

I waaaaant to say some old Betty Boop and some other random cartoons, like one off type things? I want to say maybe some old Popeye too, but I honestly can't remember, I saw that box when I moved into the house like 6 years ago and haven't seen it since.

Holy poo poo, you have Fleischer Brothers cartoons? I know basically all film reels are a dead medium, but gently caress, it's awesome you have those! The Fleischers were run out of the business way before celuloid died, and while I don't exactly know much about the rarity of actual reels, I would assume that they would be rarer than, say, Disney reels, since they were in production for less time.

How old are we talkin' here? Black and white? Or color?

For content: The Fleischers had a different, somewhat more primative version of the multi-plane camera that Disney made so famous with Snow White. Instead of stacking it vertically like Disney did, their company shot it horizontally, and instead of multiple paintings on celluloid, the background/foreground were real miniature sets. They called it a Stereoptical Camera, and they'd move things frame-by-frame to match up with the character movement. Some of the more elaborate moving sets were put on a lazy-susan type thing to move them. It gave things a really distinct feel you don't get anywhere else.

You know... I never thought I'd use this information. Huh.

Here's a website explaining it in a little more detail, just so you know I'm not pulling things out of my rear end here: http://www.calmapro.com/popeye/history.php?section=stereoptical&current=history

And here's some cool examples of what it looks like in motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ygyKMD7Ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtAi-bDOUjM

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ok, I was trying to judge speed by ear, then I realized my phone had the capabilities built in--Android has a little tool to recognize what song is playing. It couldn't recognize anything from the home-recorded tapes (Beatles, The Who, Black Sabbath). Then I put on a tape of big band music, it recognized it right away. Same for Barbara Streisand and another swing type tape; it was able to identify everything I tried for the commercial tapes. So I guess my player is fine, and whoever recorded all the others was running slow.

I made a video but I always feel like my voice sounds stupid... I may upload it later.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Oh man that takes me back. I can remember using razor blades and tape to edit interviews on this type of media when I did college radio.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DicktheCat posted:

Holy poo poo, you have Fleischer Brothers cartoons? I know basically all film reels are a dead medium, but gently caress, it's awesome you have those! The Fleischers were run out of the business way before celuloid died, and while I don't exactly know much about the rarity of actual reels, I would assume that they would be rarer than, say, Disney reels, since they were in production for less time.

How old are we talkin' here? Black and white? Or color?

Oh man you're making me really want to dig this stuff up now, I honestly can't recall. I'm guessing at them being that stuff because I swear I remember seeing Betty Boop and Popeye labels on the reel tins, but I'm not 100%. Guess I have some work to do this weekend. :D I've never examined them closely so I couldn't tell you age/color/etc, just that somewhere I have metal tins fulla something cool.

Great post though, interesting stuff. Old animation methods are fascinating, and definitely produced some unique looking pieces.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Very nice machine!

Here's my boat anchor

TEAC A-3340S 1/4" 15IPS 4 track with Simul-Sync which was the ability for the record head to playback previously recorded tracks so you could record new material on adjacent tracks while staying in time. Pretty cool stuff, the DAW of the mid 70s.

TEAC used to be pretty awesome before they became a badge for cheap Chinese crap.

Oh my gently caress and the price of 10.5" tape pancakes :psyduck:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Ron Burgundy posted:

Very nice machine!

Here's my boat anchor

TEAC A-3340S 1/4" 15IPS 4 track with Simul-Sync which was the ability for the record head to playback previously recorded tracks so you could record new material on adjacent tracks while staying in time. Pretty cool stuff, the DAW of the mid 70s.

TEAC used to be pretty awesome before they became a badge for cheap Chinese crap.

Oh my gently caress and the price of 10.5" tape pancakes :psyduck:

I love vinyl records with a passion and would like to get into reel to reel someday. Legacy audio/visual equipment is the coolest poo poo. Perhaps it's because I cut my teeth in video production when VHS was all we had, so large equipment and multiple monitors hold a special place in my heart. I also worked at a cinema as a doorman and projectionist-in-training for a while and really enjoyed "building" the movies (piecing multiple reels of film together to be loaded onto a platter which would then be threaded into the projector). Don't get me wrong, threading five projectors after every film ended could get annoying if I had other chores to take care of... However, I still loved it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Yeah I was a projectionist too, got out of the game when it all went digital, into IT funnily enough. I do still do fill in shifts very occasionally and hang out at my favourite cinema, a single screen art-deco house that still has film. an absolute rarity on all accounts. I actually posted my own personal 35mm projector in this thread.

Ron Burgundy has a new favorite as of 09:33 on May 21, 2013

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Alright, I've decided to steal everything Ron Burgundy owns. Who's with me? :black101:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Not my retirement fund!

Not sure what's happening with Pham's R2R video, but I thought I'd make one for all the reel nerds. Not sure why the sound is so muffled. Also I just woke up which explains the hair somewhat I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4VkZlLc3z0

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh man, I had this one on VHS and watched it like a million times :allears:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

longview posted:

I googled a little and found this: http://wordspy.com/words/electric-can-openerquestion.asp

No luck finding the article referred to, assuming it's the right one.

I was able to pull

quote:

In May, Iridium, the satellite phone company, proudly announced that a woman who had climbed to the top of Mount Everest had used one of its telephones to call her mother in Mexico.
and

quote:

Iridium's phones initially cost $4,500 and calls cost up to $10 a minute. This compared to $50 and maybe 15 cents a minute for "normal" cellphones. The Iridium space phones weighed about four times as much as common pocket phones. You couldn't make calls from inside buildings or moving cars. Iridium's engineers argued that this now "normal" use would have required increased power in satellites. This would have doubled the cost of construction.
from our library's search preview, the full text doesn't appear to be available anymore.

I would say Iridium phones and electric can openers are specialized products rather than better or worse than alternatives. Electric can openers are great for people with limited hand strength or coordination, just like Iridium phones are great for people who spend time outside of normal cell service areas and need to have a way to communicate.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 18:25 on May 22, 2013

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Do those buttons light up colours when playing and recording?
If they do, then I owned one of those WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT :-/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

0dB posted:

Do those buttons light up colours when playing and recording?
If they do, then I owned one of those WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT :-/

Yep! The fast buttons light up yellow, the play buttons green, and of course record is red.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yep! The fast buttons light up yellow, the play buttons green, and of course record is red.

Well then you have yourself a drat fine tape recorder.

And I'm left to puzzle why we sell off things we no longer want and then years later decide that we want them all over again. And the reciprocal principle that the things we keep never seem to get used. It's as if not owning something is far more inspiring than owning it.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Ron Burgundy posted:

Not my retirement fund!

Not sure what's happening with Pham's R2R video, but I thought I'd make one for all the reel nerds. Not sure why the sound is so muffled. Also I just woke up which explains the hair somewhat I guess.

Just wanted to say that this was super cool. Thanks for uploading!

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Not my retirement fund!

It's the reflections in the room picked up by the camera's mic. Those TEAC multitracks sounded pretty great when they were set up correctly.

flummox has a new favorite as of 21:17 on May 25, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iridium is successful enough that amazingly they are launching second generation satellites.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

There are advantages to having phone service covering 100% of earth's surface.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I was cleaning out my closet when I found this old fucker

It turned right on and had the correct date and time, but it could have grabbed that from sprint. The last thing that it ever did was make a call in August 2004 and it probably hasn't been charged since a little after that. It still has a bit of battery power left and still has all of my old contacts in it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've got that exact same phone sitting in a box of my old college stuff! Do those things still work? I haven't got Sprint anymore, but I think it'd be nice to have an indestructible emergency phone laying around.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

JLightning posted:

I've got that exact same phone sitting in a box of my old college stuff! Do those things still work? I haven't got Sprint anymore, but I think it'd be nice to have an indestructible emergency phone laying around.

I don't think the FCC with let US carriers activate any handset that isn't E911 GPS capable, which is pretty much anything sold before 2001-ish.

mystes
May 31, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

I don't think the FCC with let US carriers activate any handset that isn't E911 GPS capable, which is pretty much anything sold before 2001-ish.
I thought they could also do triangulation for phones without GPS? Did this change? I thought that non-smartphones still usually didn't have GPS.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

Not my retirement fund!

Ok, here's my poo poo video, enjoy my goony voice and ad-libbed narration: https://vimeo.com/66968184

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

mystes posted:

I thought they could also do triangulation for phones without GPS? Did this change? I thought that non-smartphones still usually didn't have GPS.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2007/12/goodbye_to_2007and_to_analog_c.html

The analog network no longer exists.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is completely irrelevant to both my post that you quoted (about E911 phase 2 requirements) and the other ones that preceded it (about whether a specific old CDMA phone would still work). Nobody was talking about analog phones.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, here's my poo poo video, enjoy my goony voice and ad-libbed narration: https://vimeo.com/66968184

Great video, nice machine. It's kind of sad that both our machines were premium brands, hand-built in Japan, but are now used for badging some pretty mediocre electronics.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

eddiewalker posted:

If you just want a phone to dial 911 in an emergency, activation doesn't matter. All the carriers will accept 911 calls from any phone connected to their network - if you can get a signal (and that phone does, it has the time) then you can place an emergency call. For carriers that use SIM cards, you don't even need one in the phone. The lack of E911 means that you'll need to tell the operator where you are, but you should be able to do that anyway. Location services don't always work.

mystes posted:

Different carriers implemented the E911 requirements differently. Triangulation is very difficult when you don't have line-of-sight, or when there's only one tower. GPS receivers are so cheap these days that even very low-end phones tend to have them. Not only is there the E911 compliance thing, but they also let carriers sell expensive navigation app subscriptions to dumbphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh man, I remember early dumbphone navigation stuff. I'm so glad I have Google Maps and a good GPS in my GS3, I swear I remember some reeeeeally basic navigation package for one of the old black and white Nokia phones which probably cost a horrendous amount of money.