Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

I've noticed a lot of people using those - usually either guys really looking to shave weight, or the guys who pack all sorts of survival widgets into Altoids cans. How are they to use? They don't have a locking mechanism, right?

They're sharp as hell, don't lock and they're a bit less fragile than those snap-off razor blades. Great for gear repair and picking out splinters, which is 99% of what I've ever needed a blade for while backpacking. My dermasafe hangs out in my first aid/gear repair kit and it's the only blade I carry.

There really isn't very much I've ever encountered backpacking that requires the comical number of things on pocket knives or multitools, even on week or longer trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not a whole lot of talk about the REI Anniversary sale. Anyone getting anything cool?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I picked up the Aether 70, Half-dome 2, headlamp, two pairs of Prana Zions (the best pants), and an extra first aid kit.

I still need to figure out what to spend my 20% on. :sigh: Maybe a jacket.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 18, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Internet Explorer posted:

Not a whole lot of talk about the REI Anniversary sale. Anyone getting anything cool?

Probably gonna get a tent, maybe the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

tempted by the Flash packs sale and the Sierra Designs Dridown sale, but probably shouldn't spend that much money right now...need a new tent more than I need those things

Also, knife chat, if you happen to be going fishing or something on your hikes, don't take a tiny knife because gutting fish with a tiny knife sucks

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am currently in Damascus va for trail days. Some hikers in the parade were hit by a car. There is a helo on the ground now and another overhead. Hope this not too terrible.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

They're sharp as hell, don't lock and they're a bit less fragile than those snap-off razor blades. Great for gear repair and picking out splinters, which is 99% of what I've ever needed a blade for while backpacking. My dermasafe hangs out in my first aid/gear repair kit and it's the only blade I carry.

There really isn't very much I've ever encountered backpacking that requires the comical number of things on pocket knives or multitools, even on week or longer trips.

It depends, I had to fix a stove once, and my glasses. The pliers and screwdrivers were good for that.

The scissors are nice to have, but not essential, I've used the file quite a bit. The pliers are also great for weird ropework if you do any climbing. I think mine has mostly been used to clean weapons for work, which is kind of hiking.

Basically, your multitool/knife decision should be based on the gear you have available and what might need repairing or... tooling. So I guess since you, Hypnolobster, just cut on yourself and your equipment, that sweet razor blade thing works perfectly! :)

Actually I kind of want one for ultralighting.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Levitate posted:

Probably gonna get a tent, maybe the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2
A great tent.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I am currently in Damascus va for trail days. Some hikers in the parade were hit by a car. There is a helo on the ground now and another overhead. Hope this not too terrible.

The local news is saying 50-60 people were "hit" by it. Maybe it was a good thing the weather sucked this weekend, and I decided to skip Trail Days this year.

takamuzu
Jun 2, 2011

Kick, punch, you all remember
Chop Chop back again yes forever
REI's annual sale is going to be the death of my wallet. I grabbed a pair of Ahnu Montaras and a couple pairs of Smartwool socks. Planning to run in later this coming week for a roof-rack Thule setup and maybe an REI half-dome T1. I ending up using my 20% off coupon on a new MTB helmet.

Ugh, that accident at the Trail Days parade is horrible. News says it was an elderly guy in a Cadillac that was having a "medical episode". :(

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I just bought the Tarptent Contrail I'm very excited. I live in socal, should I seam seal it?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

should I seam seal it?

Yup, for sure.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
Went for an overnight stroll to the Cascade Hut, about 10km along the Cascade Trail in Kosciusko National Park (very near to Australia's tallest mountain!). Quite an easy walk. Winter is beginning to close in and there was about 8cm of snow on the ground at the highest point. We're hoping to do it again in winter with snowshoes. Wasn't that cold, got down to about -2c.

Got to finally use my Osprey Aether 85, which is way too much pack for an overnight hike, but cinches down pretty well. Super comfortable, another vote for it from me, for anyone thinking of getting one. I would imagine the smaller ones will be no different.

This is "Man from Snowy River" country, for anyone not Australian that is familier with the movies (or the poem for that matter...)

Cascade Hut

Brumbies! (Wild horses)

Doing this knocks another 10km off the Australian Alps Walking track, which I hope to do in its entirety one day.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What do you use an 85 litre pack for?

Also, I had no idea that the Australian Alps were a thing. Must see.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

tuyop posted:

It depends, I had to fix a stove once, and my glasses. The pliers and screwdrivers were good for that.

The scissors are nice to have, but not essential, I've used the file quite a bit. The pliers are also great for weird ropework if you do any climbing. I think mine has mostly been used to clean weapons for work, which is kind of hiking.

Basically, your multitool/knife decision should be based on the gear you have available and what might need repairing or... tooling. So I guess since you, Hypnolobster, just cut on yourself and your equipment, that sweet razor blade thing works perfectly! :)

Actually I kind of want one for ultralighting.

Very true, what works for me doesn't work for everyone. I use a laughably minimal stove (alcohol or esbit tablets) and there is nothing that needs to be fixed on it, and that carries through with the rest of my gear (I don't even have any tent poles). I've carried scissors occasionally in addition to a little blade and I actually like having them, I just haven't found a pair I really like enough to bring.

When I'm out with friends, I do tend to bring a Leatherman Squirt PS4, which has some great (but tiny) pliers that have come in handy. Solo, I tend to do a sleep and run sort of thing, but with friends it's much more lazy, lots of time spent in camp and some real tools usually come in handy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have one more gear question.

REI has the Arc'teryx Beta AR jacket on sale for $299 ($475).

I tried one on and really liked it, and every reviewer has nothing but good things to say about it. I will absolutely spend the big money if it's a piece that I will end up keeping forever, but I'd still like a goonpinion before spending $300 on a rain jacket. I would be using this for basically everything, from hiking, backpacking, anything outdoorsy (fishing, etc), wearing to a sporting event, etc.

Is there anything I should know about upkeep or treatment of a jacket like this? Can you stuff it in a backpack or will that somehow damage it? How long are these expected to last? Anyone have one?

The salesman at REI told me it was his favorite jacket he owns, and it should be treated for re-waterproofing every 3 washes or so.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 19, 2013

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I just bought the Tarptent Contrail I'm very excited. I live in socal, should I seam seal it?

Seam sealing is super easy. Just mix the seam sealer with a bit of acetone to thin it, then gently brush it onto the seams. Shouldn't take very long to do it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That seems like a ton of money for a rain jacket but I doubt its a bad jacket. Personally I've always had good luck with the Marmot PreCip and similar jackets. No matter how much it costs at some point you WILL sweat out a jacket hiking. I always look for one with waterproof zippers and pit zips. If you have pit zips you can go a lot further hiking before you sweat out.

As for treating it I can usually go a year at least before I have to spray on some waterproofing. I don't hardly ever wash my rain coat though so maybe it lasts longer.

Regarding knife talk the only time I pack another knife besides the one in my multi-tool is when I'm going fishing or hunting and plan on dressing an animal or fileting a fish.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

My little sister is currently doing an AT Thru Hike solo and stopped off at Damascus for Trail Days. How bad is it over there? Reading this has me more than a little scared. Also, for someone who has no experience hiking, are their any recommendations for what I can do to get prepared for a short stint of hiking? I plan to meet her out on the trail some time in August to cheer her up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

I tried one on and really liked it, and every reviewer has nothing but good things to say about it. I will absolutely spend the big money if it's a piece that I will end up keeping forever, but I'd still like a goonpinion before spending $300 on a rain jacket. I would be using this for basically everything, from hiking, backpacking, anything outdoorsy (fishing, etc), wearing to a sporting event, etc.

Is there anything I should know about upkeep or treatment of a jacket like this? Can you stuff it in a backpack or will that somehow damage it? How long are these expected to last? Anyone have one?

The salesman at REI told me it was his favorite jacket he owns, and it should be treated for re-waterproofing every 3 washes or so.

I have the insulated version of that jacket from a few years ago. I've never done anything special to it and it's held up perfectly. Go hog wild!

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Azzur posted:

My little sister is currently doing an AT Thru Hike solo and stopped off at Damascus for Trail Days. How bad is it over there? Reading this has me more than a little scared. Also, for someone who has no experience hiking, are their any recommendations for what I can do to get prepared for a short stint of hiking? I plan to meet her out on the trail some time in August to cheer her up.

Most of the preparations you need are mental. You need to be ready to be dirty, smelly, sweaty, cold, hot, itchy, hungry, tired, sore, etc. If you can stay cheerful and have fun despite the above, you'll have a great time.

From what I've heard a bunch of people got injured at Trail Days, but nobody died and only a few people got serious injuries. Certainly not ideal, but better than what you'd expect when a car plows into a parade.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I just got home and have some time to post. As was said, all things considered, it could have been a lot worse. I did not see this, but some friends were right there and almost hit. Just a bad accident I think. Seeing a mass casualty however minor is never good.

On the positive side,I bought a new pack.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's fantastic, I highly recommend it. I've got the Theta AR, and never had to do anything for it. Remember that the DWR will go away and can be reapplied. The GoreTex membrane is part of the construction and is functioning perfectly even if water no longer 'beads' on the outside. Your REI dude was probably confused on this point.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

I just got home and have some time to post. As was said, all things considered, it could have been a lot worse. I did not see this, but some friends were right there and almost hit. Just a bad accident I think. Seeing a mass casualty however minor is never good.

Really glad to hear this. I suppose that I became unjustly worried. If you see a small girl named Chipmunk out there at Trail Days, cheer her on for me, will ya?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

PRADA SLUT posted:

These are great jackets and I would buy one if I were in the market for one. I've been reminded lately how much use one can get out of a good hardshell. The Gore-tex Pro is great stuff. As another poster noted, your jacket will stay waterproof no matter what, but will breathe best with the reapplication of the DWR (durable water repellent) as needed (no need to do this out of the box).

You can stick this in a pack, etc., no problem. They respond well to washings, too, so it's a very durable item. Fit it to allow a mid layer underneath; as you know, that jacket has zero insulation, which makes it more versatile. In colder weather, I like to pair my shell with a Nano Puff Hoody, which is thin but warm.

This jacket should last you years; I just bought a new hardshell last year to replace one I'd used heavily since 1996.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I have an Arcteryx soft shell and it's awesome. I'd imagine that jacket is great as well. If I could afford it I'd buy all Arcteryx stuff. It all fits really well if you've got an athletic or skinny build.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had just purshased an rei kitmah shell a few weeks back. Seriously debated returning it and paying the extra dough to get the arcteryx today.

I was at rei today and was going to pick up that platypus gravity filter system but they didn't have it in store. I debated just getting a 3 liter zip bladder and the filter separately and save 30-$40. No reason I need to carry three bladders with me. Instead I bought a gopro mount. I've still got time. So much gear so cheap at this sale. It was tempting me so much.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had just purshased an rei kitmah shell a few weeks back. Seriously debated returning it and paying the extra dough to get the arcteryx today.

I was at rei today and was going to pick up that platypus gravity filter system but they didn't have it in store. I debated just getting a 3 liter zip bladder and the filter separately and save 30-$40. No reason I need to carry three bladders with me. Instead I bought a gopro mount. I've still got time. So much gear so cheap at this sale. It was tempting me so much.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Checking in from the end of Traildays. Aside from the accident (which was pretty overblown) and a bunch of other negatives, I still had an amazing time. Got to meet Akion back at Uncle Johnny's in Erwin and we caught up the other day. The journey has definitely been more about the smiles than the miles for me, and I'm amazed at how many friends I've earned out here. Working on pictures.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 20, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I would rather just drop serious cash and get something that I'm glad I have every time I use it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

loving hell, you guys, hiking in Borneo is brutal. I'll get some pics up later.

IanKirby
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I finally gave in and bought a slack line. Lets hope I don't pop my anterior tendon and crack my 5th metatarsal on it like I did last time.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Picnic Princess posted:

Aren't you the one who somehow lacks the ability to regulate heat? That sounds like a nightmare in Borneo's climate.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Anyone have sleeping bag recommendations for something around lightweight 20-30 degree bags? I'm trying to decide if I should spend money at some point this summer to get one for a trip later this year, or just say screw it and use my dad's old Trailwise Slimline that I've used in the past...a newer, lighter bag would probably be good but on the other hand I could just be spending $300 for a pound of weight difference

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Verman posted:

Drop the store-brand, cuz it's going out of style.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I am planning to buy a pair of Salewa Terminal DST pants. I already own a ten year old Oakley hard shell 100 percent nylon jacket, a thick Trangoworld fleece, lots of Under Armour underwear and plan on getting some decent wool socks, probably from Zajo. I also own a pair of Salewa Mid GTX Trainers. Am I set for winter day hikes in Southern Europe below 2000 m altitude?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Please do, I will likely be moving to the region soon and I want some ideas.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Levitate posted:

Anyone have sleeping bag recommendations for something around lightweight 20-30 degree bags? I'm trying to decide if I should spend money at some point this summer to get one for a trip later this year, or just say screw it and use my dad's old Trailwise Slimline that I've used in the past...a newer, lighter bag would probably be good but on the other hand I could just be spending $300 for a pound of weight difference

I've got The North Face Cat's Meow 20 degree bag and have been very happy with it. I've had it for years. It's warm, light, and stuffs down very well to about the size of an oblong bowling ball.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus christ you guys are gearheads.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Jesus christ you guys are gearheads.

It's fun to talk about because it reminds me of times out on the trail. At a certain point though you just need to pick something and use it. 99 percent of the time experience will trump any features that one piece of gear has over another. Some people just really like one type of piece of gear to and get way into it. I have a friend who is obsessed with headlamps for some reason. Has a million of them and could tell me the pros and cons of all the different models. Lot's of people seem to be that way with knives and axes too.

Personally I'd rather save myself the money on top of the line gear and just shed 5 pounds of body weight before a long hike. It's easier, cheaper, and more beneficial to just be in shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I bought a new pack at REI the other day to replace my Asolo that I busted the waist strap on. I also bought a couple wicking t-shirts while I was there and snapped up the last pack of microspikes (not on sale, damnit).

Anyway the pack I picked up is a Gregory Z30 (large, so 33L). It did really great over the 8 or so miles I did on Saturday. My roommate picked up a Camelbak Vantage (41L) from a local place here which is super nice, but I warned him that extra space makes him the group's pack mule.

Doing 10 miles a day with my pack loaded to 30lbs for the next couple months to prep for Olympus. :dance: