Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Firefox or Chrome?

It's easy on Firefox:
Go to blip or tgwtg and open a review, click on the adblock logo in the corner and select "open blockable items." from there it's easy to set up a filter that applies only to the blip.tv domain. Alternatively, you can select "disable adblock on this domain" to have it universally allow ads on that site.

Good call on Firefox and thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Turning on Adblock is honestly comparable to pirating indie games. Sure, you're not directly stealing from them, but you're enjoying their content without going through the procedure that allows them to keep making things in a timely manner.

Hell, this Adblock poo poo is even dumber because all it's avoiding is 30 second.

Edit: on not off

prahanormal fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 18, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think you meant "turning on adblock."

I use it to avoid obnoxious flash ads, but whitelist trusted sites.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I use Adblock too, mostly because there are plenty of services that don't monitor for malicious ads first. I'm talking about the ads on indie blogs and videos specially.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

somekindofguy posted:

Why am I not surprised 4chan is involved with the deluge of stupid comments? I'd imagine the usual anti-TGWTG crowd will get in if they haven't already. Asking people to disable their adblock is a world apart from e-begging in my mind.
I like how some are going with the, "Then quit and get a full time job you loser :smug:" argument. I mean its just 30 seconds, is time that important to you?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

prahanormal posted:

I use Adblock too, mostly because there are plenty of services that don't monitor for malicious ads first. I'm talking about the ads on indie blogs and videos specially.

Seriously, it's pretty ridiculous these people are like "don't be greedy, shut off adblock!" Yeah, no, I'm not keen on viruses.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Seriously, it's pretty ridiculous these people are like "don't be greedy, shut off adblock!" Yeah, no, I'm not keen on viruses.

When they say "shut off adblock," they're asking you to shut it off for the trusted content creators, not shut it off for everywhere all the time. :v:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The add-on you're looking for to prevent that is NoScript, not Adblock.

SA gave me a virus once. But Lowtax can still have my money.

Qotile Swirl
Aug 15, 2011

Alone In the Dark, A ground breaking horror game.
The argument that ad-blocking Internet critic videos is tantamount to theft would have more weight if the average Internet critic weren't treading on dubious legal grounds themselves. Don't get me wrong, they can be entertaining and I enjoy some of their stuff, but most of them don't do anything resembling legitimate criticism. What they do is condense a film down to fifteen or thirty minutes and then riff on it. Arguing fair use on the large amount of footage they appropriate, sometimes up to a full third of a movie, would be extremely difficult.

It's like Let's Players crying about losing revenue to Nintendo (and I say that as a YouTube partner that makes money off LP). It isn't their content to begin with. It's a small miracle that the actual rights holders allow it at all, never mind monetizing it.

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I like how some are going with the, "Then quit and get a full time job you loser :smug:" argument. I mean its just 30 seconds, is time that important to you?

Why do I feel like when someone makes that argument, they really mean "I want you to have a terrible job where everyone treats you like poo poo, because I hate you." Because I know there was a guy in the previous thread who would make the same argument, and that's what usually come across to me.

Qotile Swirl posted:

The argument that ad-blocking Internet critic videos is tantamount to theft would have more weight if the average Internet critic weren't treading on dubious legal grounds themselves. Don't get me wrong, they can be entertaining and I enjoy some of their stuff, but most of them don't do anything resembling legitimate criticism. What they do is condense a film down to fifteen or thirty minutes and then riff on it. Arguing fair use on the large amount of footage they appropriate, sometimes up to a full third of a movie, would be extremely difficult.

It's like Let's Players crying about losing revenue to Nintendo (and I say that as a YouTube partner that makes money off LP). It isn't their content to begin with. It's a small miracle that the actual rights holders allow it at all, never mind monetizing it.

I don't know, wouldn't you say the same thing about RiffTrax and MST3K for making money off their stuff?

rjryan3 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 19, 2013

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

rjryan3 posted:

I don't know, wouldn't you say the same thing about RiffTrax and MST3K for making money off their stuff?

Pretty sure MST3K got licenses to use their movies and Rifftrax only sell the commentary tracks so you have to buy the movie yourself, therefore they don't really factor into this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
As far as I'm aware, MST3K only did films that are/were in the public domain so there was no legal issues there either.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

As far as I'm aware, MST3K only did films that are/were in the public domain so there was no legal issues there either.

That was only the case for a few things (mostly the educational shorts IIRC). For most movies they had to get the rights to show them. Which is why they can't just release season boxsets of the show; for DVD releases they gotta renegotiate those rights and some companies either don't want to do that or they want too much money for an episode to be worthwhile.

And yeah Rifftrax gets around all that legal stuff by just selling the audio track. They certainly wouldn't be able to afford to do commentary on stuff like The Avengers if it was MST3k style, that's for sure.

At any rate, neither example is similar to what Nintendo is doing.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
What ultimately happens is if they don't generate income from ads, they don't produce more content. I don't know how this is a hard concept for some people. They're not being greedy assholes by asking fans to sit through 30 seconds of an ad- this is either a full or part time job. From adblock to Kickstarter, I'm not sure I follow some fans' mentalities what they think they are entitled to: art is work, I don't mind compensating someone for that work.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Qotile Swirl posted:

But if you consider what they're doing illegal, you shouldn't be watching their videos anyway?

Qotile Swirl
Aug 15, 2011

Alone In the Dark, A ground breaking horror game.

quakster posted:

But if you consider what they're doing illegal, you shouldn't be watching their videos anyway?
There is a difference between doing something that isn't exactly legal, and not only doing it but profiting off of it, but that isn't the point I'm making.

I watch Cinema Snob, Phelous, and Lupa because I enjoy them, and I don't personally begrudge anyone trying to make a little money off of something they enjoy doing, but it's ridiculous when people in this thread and elsewhere get indignant about stealing ad revenue from Internet critics while ignoring the actual creators of the content that their shows are based around.

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

Qotile Swirl posted:

There is a difference between doing something that isn't exactly legal, and not only doing it but profiting off of it, but that isn't the point I'm making.

I watch Cinema Snob, Phelous, and Lupa because I enjoy them, and I don't personally begrudge anyone trying to make a little money off of something they enjoy doing, but it's ridiculous when people in this thread and elsewhere get indignant about stealing ad revenue from Internet critics while ignoring the actual creators of the content that their shows are based around.

What about their other work? Don't they have the right to receive ad revenue from those videos?

rjryan3 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 19, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rjryan3 posted:

What about their other work? Don't they have the right to receive ad revenue from those videos?
"gently caress ads and these entitled greedy retard jews. I watch anything I want." -A hypothetical YouTube commenter

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If you like a critic and want to continue watching and supporting their content, then waiting an extra 30 seconds won't kill you. Better yet, you can even mute your speakers and move to a different tab for a few seconds, as Linkara explained.

This shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp, but the online nerd community has proven me wrong time and time again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

That was only the case for a few things (mostly the educational shorts IIRC). For most movies they had to get the rights to show them. Which is why they can't just release season boxsets of the show; for DVD releases they gotta renegotiate those rights and some companies either don't want to do that or they want too much money for an episode to be worthwhile.

They've also ran into the fun like with some old games where no one has any idea who owns the actual rights any more.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

If you like a critic and want to continue watching and supporting their content, then waiting an extra 30 seconds won't kill you. Better yet, you can even mute your speakers and move to a different tab for a few seconds, as Linkara explained.

This shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp, but the online nerd community has proven me wrong time and time again.

It's this weird entitlement bullshit. You get something for free so long that when any tiny itsy bitsy little inconvenience comes along, even one that actually pays the entertainer and is just a 30 second ad, nerds will throw temper tantrums and act like babies. The worst are the ones who desperately want to turn it into a moral battle, like idiots are say that blip are 'bullies' for showing ads. It's embarrassing. I was annoyed by that 90 second ad thing, but after seeing that video and thinking about it, a 30 second ad isn't that bad when I'm dealing with a site I know is trustworthy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That best of the worst vid from a couple of pages is incredible. R.O.T.O.R is the best film ever.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Okay, you know what? I don't care that I supported adblock a page ago. Reading through two or three pages of those awful entitled jackoffs demanding free entertainment or crowing "GET A REAL JOB" made me turn it off out of spite.

...dude, but seriously, who do I have to yell at for Blip to get better ad rolls? The Disney Hawaii ads are less annoying than some of the others I've sat through, but it's still the only ad I get :argh:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Rebochan posted:

Okay, you know what? I don't care that I supported adblock a page ago. Reading through two or three pages of those awful entitled jackoffs demanding free entertainment or crowing "GET A REAL JOB" made me turn it off out of spite.

...dude, but seriously, who do I have to yell at for Blip to get better ad rolls? The Disney Hawaii ads are less annoying than some of the others I've sat through, but it's still the only ad I get :argh:

It's better than that awful "Mom stand up" ad that they had before. Holy poo poo that was awful.

In other news it's kinda hilarious that Jesuotaku's Winter Anime review has hit so many stops that she's not even halfway done and we're getting close to summer now.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

He sounded so SAD. The abruptness of this is really strange. Something bad must have happened, either in his life or somewhere inside emotionally. I feel bad. Both to see him stop making content of any kind, and because he seems like good people who shouldn't be so damned bummed out. Blah.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's better than that awful "Mom stand up" ad that they had before. Holy poo poo that was awful.

I first got into DBZ Abridged when Blip was endlessly running a cereal commercial with this kid repeating "That's for babies!" over and over. :suicide:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I got pretty sick of the UPS Logistics song after a couple of videos. I wonder how many people think it was something UPS made up and That's Amore never existed?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I first discovered TGWTG back in 2010 when they were playing those loving Metro PCS ads with the Indian stereotype dude :suicide:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

I first discovered TGWTG back in 2010 when they were playing those loving Metro PCS ads with the Indian stereotype dude :suicide:

Hell, I think they played those clear into mid 2011, I could swear I got those around then.

Is Radio Dead Air worth listening to? What's the format like, just general chat or is it structured?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is why I had adblock on. It was that bad. Turned it off recently because the only reviewers I watch I want to support.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Benne posted:

The worst part about those ads was that there was a several months respite from them, then BOOM! New ads with the same guys run just as loving endlessly.

I too have turned off AdBlock on Blip and reviewer sites only. It is amazing how much of a difference AdBlock makes for sites like The Onion though. Looking at that on someone else's browser as it just chugged along because of the massive amounts of obnoxious, intrusive ads was just painful.

Srice posted:

And yeah Rifftrax gets around all that legal stuff by just selling the audio track. They certainly wouldn't be able to afford to do commentary on stuff like The Avengers if it was MST3k style, that's for sure.
They actually changed their business model drastically in the last year. They only very occasionally (like a few times a year) do big Hollywood blockbusters and have now started focusing on titles they can license super-cheap from studios. For $10 you get a movie with the Rifftrax synched to it.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 20, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I only just realized there was ever a controversy with ads since my adblocker blocked the 90 second wait thing as well as the start and midroll ads.

Actually going into the thing to whitelist Blip and I discovered that my adblocker doesn't have a whitelist option, though it does have a way to allow certain domains through so if I want a really specific ad I can do it that way? I think I'll just turn the whole thing off whenever I watch reviewers from now on.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

They actually changed their business model drastically in the last year. They only very occasionally (like a few times a year) do big Hollywood blockbusters and have now started focusing on titles they can license super-cheap from studios. For $10 you get a movie with the Rifftrax synched to it.

Did they get into some kind of legal trouble, or is there just a bigger profit margin on these ten-dollar movies after paying the license fees?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Marzgurl is trying out for the reality show "King of the Nerds.

She's certainly qualified, and I'd like to see her on TV, but she's not much of a drama magnet, so I don't know if I'd cast her if I were a producer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe our site's own Chip Cheezum said on a podcast that he also tried out for that.

Oh and thanks for reminding me about those horrible Indian stereotype ads, it's probably the reason I got Adblock in the first place.

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

Rebochan posted:

I first got into DBZ Abridged when Blip was endlessly running a cereal commercial with this kid repeating "That's for babies!" over and over. :suicide:

The way she she lisped it is what got me. "That's for baaaabiiiieessss..." Plus the kid and her mom were somehow both hipsters. An ad that makes people have familicidal fantasies probably isn't good.

Also, kids don't like plain Cheerios. They're not sweet. They're oaty.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/2013/05/doom-2099-1.html
:doom:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

A good poster posted:

Did they get into some kind of legal trouble, or is there just a bigger profit margin on these ten-dollar movies after paying the license fees?
The latter. Plus the benefit of most of the VOD movies running 100 minutes max, as opposed to the 130-170-minute runtime their 'blockbuster' riffs have had.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

echopapa posted:

Marzgurl is trying out for the reality show "King of the Nerds.

She's certainly qualified, and I'd like to see her on TV, but she's not much of a drama magnet, so I don't know if I'd cast her if I were a producer.

I kind of hope she makes it on, if only to see if we get another situation like when Egoraptor was on The Tester. Even if not, she got my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Was Tester the one where a dude pitched a crazy misogynist game, and if so was that Egorapter

• Locked thread