Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
How's her weight and diapers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Ben Davis posted:

How's her weight and diapers?

Back to birthweight within a week, not sure what she's at now my scale at home is broken, 5 or 6 wet a day at least and yellow, seedy poo... Usually huge and only once a day.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Killer_Frost posted:

Back to birthweight within a week, not sure what she's at now my scale at home is broken, 5 or 6 wet a day at least and yellow, seedy poo... Usually huge and only once a day.

Babies commonly drink more from bottles than they do at the breast even if they're not hungry since any kind of sucking produces liquid on a bottle but not at the breast. You can try a diaper change to wake her up but it's most likely just an early six week growth spurt (or a late three week). Breastfeeding frequently during a growth spurt is important for your supply and your baby, so you might just have to grin and bear it and know it will be over in a few days. You can baby wear to help.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

skeetied posted:

Babies commonly drink more from bottles than they do at the breast even if they're not hungry since any kind of sucking produces liquid on a bottle but not at the breast. You can try a diaper change to wake her up but it's most likely just an early six week growth spurt (or a late three week). Breastfeeding frequently during a growth spurt is important for your supply and your baby, so you might just have to grin and bear it and know it will be over in a few days. You can baby wear to help.

I must have missed hearing about the 3 week growth spurt, I knew about the 6, but not the 3. Maybe that's what's going on. I need to get a sling. I've been stuck in the house so finding one that she likes has been off the schedule.

Its nice to know I'm not going crazy and she'll just have to sleep it off.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

My son ate constantly from 4-6 weeks, it was hands down the roughest time so far. Hang in there.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Bubble Babble posted:

Yeah, I have no idea what to reply to that either. I went to a wedding with former coworkers and they kept saying, "You look so good pregnant!" What does that mean? I should be knocked up more? My husband told me I was over-thinking it, but it's such a weird compliment.

I have to assume it's because I was dressed fancier than in sweat pants.

Do you just tell those people thanks? Depending on the person and how well I know them, I've been telling them thanks or "oh, because I looked so bad before?" At least that gets a few chuckles.

I got a lot of 'Wow, pregnancy really suits you!' and I pretty just responded with a thankyou and not to expect it again too soon, heh.

Weirdest compliment was 'Now THAT is a bump I'd like to rub!'

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Killer_Frost posted:

I must have missed hearing about the 3 week growth spurt, I knew about the 6, but not the 3. Maybe that's what's going on. I need to get a sling. I've been stuck in the house so finding one that she likes has been off the schedule.

Its nice to know I'm not going crazy and she'll just have to sleep it off.

I really liked the Baby K'Tan since it was idiot proof for my sleep deprived self. Amazon has them if you're in the US. :) You can make a makeshift wrap with any long piece of fabric in a pinch. There should be instructions on YouTube on how to wrap it.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 22, 2017

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Anyone else stop bleeding before 6 weeks pp but then start again AT 6 weeks? I stopped around 5 weeks for 4-5 days only to have it start up again on wednesday. My activity level went up because we had a stretch of great weather, so that may have something to do with it. My GP said to just keep an eye on it but that it's normal. Still. Very annoying.

Lullabee, when did you start shedding? I'm near 7 weeks pp and my hair is still a fabulous mane.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dandy Shrew posted:

Anyone else stop bleeding before 6 weeks pp but then start again AT 6 weeks? I stopped around 5 weeks for 4-5 days only to have it start up again on wednesday. My activity level went up because we had a stretch of great weather, so that may have something to do with it. My GP said to just keep an eye on it but that it's normal. Still. Very annoying.

Lullabee, when did you start shedding? I'm near 7 weeks pp and my hair is still a fabulous mane.

I stopped bleeding very early (like at two weeks), then it started back up again a week later. Bodies are weird.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Lullabee, I'm 5.5 months out & still losing tons of hair.

I figure it took 9 months to gain all this extra hair, it'll probably take that long to lose it all.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

rectal cushion posted:

I stopped bleeding very early (like at two weeks), then it started back up again a week later. Bodies are weird.

Agreed. I stopped bleeding around 5 weeks, had two short two day periods (cramping, etc) about two weeks apart starting at 6 weeks, and then stopped completely until Chris was around 9 months.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

I stopped at 5w3d, had like, 4 days of no bleeding, and it started up again at EXACTLY 6 weeks. My doctor just said, "Oh, it's your period". I've had a 32 day cycle ever since, and that's with breastfeeding exclusively. Stupid rear end period.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I'm shedding already at 2 weeks postpartum. It's getting annoying just because it seems like there is always hair everywhere! I really hope it doesn't go on for months.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 22, 2017

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Lullabee posted:

How long will it take for my hair to return to normal? I'm 3 months pp and I'm loosing hair like crazy. Big handfuls every time I brush. I mean, I've always had thick hair so having thin is nice, but I'm sick of shedding so badly.

I started losing seriously giant clumps of hair 3 months postpartum, so I got a really cute short pixie cut. Its a month later and I still lose hair like crazy but at least they're short pieces, and now Adeline can't pull my hair anymore. Plus people tell me I look like Anne Hathaway now. I honestly love the short hair it dries so quickly and it looks nice without me spending forever straightening it.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So I woke up today and my belly looks different. It has dropped low and my belly button is now completely flat. And even my partner said my belly looks very different today. I had an ultra sound last week that showed him already in the head down position, so I thought he already "dropped." He's also as big as a full term baby at 35 weeks (yikes). So did he drop even more? I've noticed that I can't feel his movements as much either. I also have this crazy burst of energy since yesterday. I decided I had to go shopping at midnight for bath and baby products. I'm hoping this means I go into labor soon.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
No you don't. A 35 weeker is preterm and can have a whole host of issues. My friend just gave birth at 36 weeks to a 9.5lb baby and he's in the NICU for breathing issues.

Edit: "Late–preterm infants (defined as infants born between 34 0/7 weeks and 36 6/7 weeks of gestation) often are mistakenly believed to be as physiologically and metabolically mature as term infants. However, compared with term infants, late–preterm infants are at higher risk than term infants of developing medical complications, resulting in higher rates of infant mortality, higher rates of morbidity before initial hospital discharge, and higher rates of hospital readmission in the first months of life. Preterm delivery should occur only when an accepted maternal or fetal indication for delivery exists. Collaborative counseling by both obstetric and neonatal clinicians about the outcomes of late–preterm births is warranted unless precluded by emergent conditions."

http://www.acog.org/Resources%20And%20Publications/Committee%20Opinions/Committee%20on%20Obstetric%20Practice/Late-Preterm%20Infants.aspx

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Chickalicious posted:

No you don't. A 35 weeker is preterm and can have a whole host of issues. My friend just gave birth at 36 weeks to a 9.5lb baby and he's in the NICU for breathing issues.

Edit: "Late–preterm infants (defined as infants born between 34 0/7 weeks and 36 6/7 weeks of gestation) often are mistakenly believed to be as physiologically and metabolically mature as term infants. However, compared with term infants, late–preterm infants are at higher risk than term infants of developing medical complications, resulting in higher rates of infant mortality, higher rates of morbidity before initial hospital discharge, and higher rates of hospital readmission in the first months of life. Preterm delivery should occur only when an accepted maternal or fetal indication for delivery exists. Collaborative counseling by both obstetric and neonatal clinicians about the outcomes of late–preterm births is warranted unless precluded by emergent conditions."

http://www.acog.org/Resources%20And%20Publications/Committee%20Opinions/Committee%20on%20Obstetric%20Practice/Late-Preterm%20Infants.aspx

Oh well holy poo poo. Yeah I changed my mind then. I guess for some reason I thought since he's as big as a full term baby that he'd be like a full term baby at this point. But yeah, nevermind that. I have diet controlled gestational diabetes. Even though I've been doing really well controlling my numbers, it seems like he's still gaining a lot of weight. I'm terrified of a C-section. I'm just hoping to god that he doesn't get too big by the time he's full term. The ultra sound nurse said that they might talk to me about inducing once I'm 37 weeks if he's really big.

So a diabetes question: if I make sure to eat smaller portions and try not to gain more weight will that help him not gain too much weight? I see the doctor soon but it seems like there are some really knowledgeable people here. I've been kinda terrified to eat much since the ultra sound.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I had diet controlled GD and went to 40+4. They did an ultrasound the day before and estimated weight was anywhere between 8.5 to 11 lb. he was 7lb 12oz at birth. Those ultrasound estimates are just that: ESTIMATES. they're often wrong and unless your kid is estimated to be like 15 pounds, don't make an induction decision based solely on weight. I did have to push to go later, as they started offering me an induction early due to the GD, but my sugars were well-controlled, he was not in distress and there was no reason to induce beyond "he miiiiight be big." I acquiesced to the induction when I did because the placenta starts to degrade earlier in GD patients, and I was having one blood pressure issues. I still wasn't ready to have a baby because I never progressed past 2 cm despite 10 or 11 hours of pitocin. Had a c-section under general anesthesia because my platelet count was too low for spinal anesthesia. It was painful waking up, but I was walking around out of the house within a week. Breastfeeding worked fine; I had zero issues with supply. Worse things could happen, like a preterm baby. Let him cook, eat to your prescribed diet, and be patient.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
You need to eat just how your doctor and nutritionist asked after you were diagnosed! You should've been told how much protein and how many carbs to eat at each meal and snack.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
The extra weight that a baby might put on with GD isn't a direct correlation to the amount of food you're eating. The idea is that if you have high blood sugar in your bloodstream, it's also higher in the baby's system (then the baby's endocrine system kicks in to take care of the problem and ultimately converts it to poundage). So if your sugars are well-controlled, your baby isn't going to put on weight due to GD. Limiting how much you eat is not nearly as important as knowing what your sugars are doing. To use an extreme example, one spoonful of frosting would be a lot more harmful than an entire pint of cottage cheese.

Not that eating small amounts is bad when you're late in pregnancy, I think most of us do that anyway because you just plain run out of room.

I also had ultrasounds that were crazy predictions. With my daughter the u/s tech said "well over 9 pounds" and my OB on my delivery day was shaking her head and saying she could tell that was way off just by looking at my belly. She was 7 1/2 pounds. Then with my son, they said 35th percentile and he ended up being over 9 pounds! It's crazytown when it comes to predicting the weight. It's not a direct visual picture like an x-ray, ultrasounds are this projection that's based on a ratio. The earlier in the pregnancy, the more accurate the measurements are.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also baby can be head down for some time and not have dropped/engaged.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Sheri is right. My little one was head down the whole time, or at least every time they checked.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Hannah was head down for most of my pregnancy. She didn't drop until between 37 and 38 weeks and I didn't go into labor until my due date.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I have my cerclage removal scheduled :ohdear: Next tuesday. Which means I could really go anytime after that, but obviously rooting for him to at least stay in for the remainder of that week until he's 37 weeks/considered full term. Also he is not allowed to come that first weekend of June because my Dr. is out of town that weekend. Of course, that will probably be the weekend he decides to come :haw:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I had my first ultrasound yesterday and well, that was a surreal experience. Technology is pretty amazing :haw: Also it turns out I'm further along than we thought, I'm at 13 weeks with a due date of 23rd November. Everything is looking good in there, so that's a relief.

We also told my boyfriend's parents last night about the baby via skype as they're living on another continent, and the first thing out of his mother's mouth was "When are you getting married?" :sigh:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

bee posted:

We also told my boyfriend's parents last night about the baby via skype as they're living on another continent, and the first thing out of his mother's mouth was "When are you getting married?" :sigh:

Aww, just chalk it up to a generational concern - our parents want what's best for us and our children, and in their minds that's often marriage, just to get things sorted out. I'm sure she was very happy :)

(we told both our mothers at the same time, and his responded with a triumphant: "I knew it!" and mine said: "We'll, that's nice. I knew something was up."
Yes, yes, you're both very perceptive, now shut up and cry a bit!)

34 weeks tomorrow, stubborn little bug is still the wrong way around, to the point where I have to feel around before putting things on my stomach because I don't think you're supposed to balance bowls of icecream on your babys head. Flip, buttbaby, flip!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Aww, just chalk it up to a generational concern - our parents want what's best for us and our children, and in their minds that's often marriage, just to get things sorted out. I'm sure she was very happy :)

(we told both our mothers at the same time, and his responded with a triumphant: "I knew it!" and mine said: "We'll, that's nice. I knew something was up."
Yes, yes, you're both very perceptive, now shut up and cry a bit!)

34 weeks tomorrow, stubborn little bug is still the wrong way around, to the point where I have to feel around before putting things on my stomach because I don't think you're supposed to balance bowls of icecream on your babys head. Flip, buttbaby, flip!

Haha, I tried balancing bowls of ice cream on my buttbaby's head to make her flip >:(

I hope she flips soon! Maybe buttbabby-having is contagious or something, both me and my colleague that I share an office with had buttbabbies.

Oh and Sockmuppet, if she doesn't flip - you can pm me or hit me up on Facebook if you want to talk, I've been through this so I might be able to offer some insight or experience

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 21, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

Haha, I tried balancing bowls of ice cream on my buttbaby's head to make her flip >:(

I'm seriously concidering noogies. It's very tempting when she sticks her head way out there.

And thank you :) I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, it would be great to hear from erfarne fjellfolk.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Sockmuppet posted:

erfarne fjellfolk.

Google translate said this means "experienced hikers." wat.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Chickalicious posted:

Google translate said this means "experienced hikers." wat.

Haha. It's a reference to an informative campaign that used to be on television before the easter holidays, when many people go on long ski trips in the mountains. It urged people to listen to experienced hikers. The expression is sometimes used metaphorically!

\/\/\/ yup exactly! Giving birth is similar to hiking: physically exhausting, exciting, and you have to know wtf you're doing :v:

Edit2: i guess the part about building a snow shelter doesn't really apply for giving birth though. At least it didn't for me.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 21, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
^^^ drat it, I can't find any of them on YouTube.

Haha, it's from Norwegian Mountain Code - a set of rules for safe conduct in the mountains. They're very well known and are often quoted in other contexts as well (frequently when talking about going out drinking, they're surprisingly valid for both hiking and boozing it up). The experienced hikers-thing has to do with listening to people more knowledgeable than you.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 21, 2013

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

You MoonPeople are adorable.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
I come begging for sleeping tips. I'm at the point where laying down in any position feels like I am crushing myself, suffocating, or going to barf in some way and so far no pillow configuration has been any relief. I am considering getting a specialty sleeping pillow like Snoogle but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will actually make... the only comfortable position I have found in life is laying face down on a yoga ball and rocking but obviously this is not a long term solution since I can't sleep on it. Plus I look absolutely ridiculous.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Went and did all my blood work yesterday and got told the US is down so I won't get that today. What all could I expect from meeting the doctor today? I think I am getting a breast exam and a Pap smear as well but I don't know what else could happen. Results of my tests maybe?

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Aaron is 7 weeks tomorrow and weighs 9 pounds 11 ounces and is 22 inches long. I know he is small for is age but for some reason I'm very sensitive about people commenting on how tiny he is because I exclusively breastfeed and he can be a fussy eater and there's times when I'm not sure if he's eaten enough. He can eat anywhere from 8 to 12 times a day and has 7-8 wet diapers and 5-6 dirty ones. He was back to his birth weight at 2 weeks and has gained an average of at least an ounce a day since then. His doctor and the public health nurse are fine with his weight, although the doctor who gave him his first vaccine yesterday (who is not his normal doctor) kept saying he was small and asked me if he was getting enough milk. I know people probably don't mean anything other than "aw tiny cute baby" so how can I not let it bother me? As an aside, I'm not sure how big my husband was as a baby but I was born the same weight as him (7 pounds) and only weighed 13 pounds at a year old. :wtf:

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

MockTurtle posted:

I come begging for sleeping tips. I'm at the point where laying down in any position feels like I am crushing myself, suffocating, or going to barf in some way and so far no pillow configuration has been any relief. I am considering getting a specialty sleeping pillow like Snoogle but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will actually make... the only comfortable position I have found in life is laying face down on a yoga ball and rocking but obviously this is not a long term solution since I can't sleep on it. Plus I look absolutely ridiculous.

I LOVE my maternity pillow. Not sure how far along you are, but since I hit about 30 weeks, it's the only thing that lets me sleep. I got the Leachco one that is shaped like a U. My knees still hurt using it, though not as consistently as without it, but my hips never hurt and it's super comfy. Bonus cuteness is that my cats love it. I stack my own pillow on the top instead of using the part you are supposed to, because I think I'm a little too tall for it otherwise.

My baby is head down at 33 weeks, and I don't think he/she/it has been head up the entire time. Unfortunately, it is mostly on my right side, so I have to lean left to do anything. I can't lean forward when I'm sitting either. I'm not sure how this thing is going to gain four more pounds in seven or so weeks, because I feel huge.

Also, holy crap, we are having a baby.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

MockTurtle posted:

I've been having uncomfortable sleep ever since I had the slightest bit of stomach at like 13-14weeks. It always felt when I laid on my side my stomach was weighing/pulling down and just awful. :(

I've been using a bean-shaped boppy pillow since then.

This kind:

Not sure I could live without it at this point. I tend to wedge the large part under my stomach for support and then put the smaller end between my kness/thighs for hip support. It has been a huge help.
My only real complaint is the big part I put my belly on is pretty deflated at this point, after about 24 weeks or so of constant use. I try to re-fluff/re-distribute the stuffing but it seems my efforts don't do much.

Sometimes if I roll over at night and I'm too lazy/half asleep to move the pillow along with me I just gather some of the sheets/blankets to stuff under my stomach for support.. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN
Mar 18, 2007
I have been reading curiously for a little while, my girlfriend told me 3 weeks ago that she is pregnant with our little son or daughter. We have decided to keep our baby and be the best parents we can be at our ripe age of 24.

I'm a little nervous about going from a long distance relationship (3 hours each way, seeing eachother 2-3x a month) to living together full time with my pregnant girlfriend. I'm way more excited than nervous though. I can't wait till she has a baby bump woooo!!! I'm gonna be a dad :3