Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

roger wilco posted:

He mentioned 475 HP and while that's only 50 more than what the current 5.0 puts out I didn't know you could get the coyote platform that much higher naturally aspirated. I'm intrigued to see what they do there at least. I still think it's ugly vs. the current body style but up close it might look better. Looks like a meaner Focus in drawings I've seen. Maybe that's why my buddy likes it?

As was pointed out to me some time ago by some folks here, the Coyote engine doesn't have direct injection. I don't know if they can squeeze 50 horsepower just by doing that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Speaking of direct injection, Project Ugly Horse - the garbage secretary-spec Fox body with a Cobra IRS rear end - is getting an amazing boost.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/17/project-ugly-horse-part-viii/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I've been having this now somewhat recurring engine problem with my 2000 Mustang GT (4.6 SOHC 2valve) (posts in the stupid question thread HERE), and my uncle and I are tearing into the engine to fix. Basically, I recently had a shop replace the oil pump and timing chain (kit) because of an apparent failure of the oil pump. Turns out, the driver side timing chain was actually rubbing on the oil pump, causing wear to both, and depositing metal in the oil. Like, a lot of finely ground metal. After the replacement, it ran fine for about 3 weeks, then the noise came back. We went in expecting to see something obviously wrong with how they installed it.

I'm thinking that the tensioner on the driver side is not working correctly, and I'm hoping there's maybe some obvious reason why or troubleshooting I can do.

Driver side tensioner:

Passenger side tensioner:

(Should the driver side be that much less extended? The issue with the timing chain seems to be that it's not tight enough, and I can't explain why that tensioner isn't just pushing harder)

Back of the driver side tensioner with (and then without) block-off plate:

We've been working on this all night, so I'm not sure how much sense this post will make. I'll be back up in the morning to double check it and hopefully clarify anything silly I said.

I'm hoping that there's some way to get that tensioner working again and not spend the next week pulling the engine, rebuilding it, and putting it back in, but ... it's 230am and I'm not hopeful.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
DEAR MUSTANG BROS: I want a 15:1 power steering rack for my '94 GT. Didn't the faster rack come as an option in Foxbodies? Can I use that or something?

Edit: I want fast steering in my SN95 but the power steering on this car is trash.

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 19, 2013

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

Lord Gaga posted:

This is a pretty stupid statement. While you're right to be frustrated with your transmission issues, which are pretty shocking, you bought a brand new car and broke a cosmetic part that has been in production for less than a year. The likely can barely make those tail lights fast enough to keep up with the production of the cars. A 2012 Mustang tail light can be had for $140 n eBay and once the 2013 is 5 years old (because the tail lights for a 2012 are also fitted on earlier MYs) it'll be the same story with that. Name some cheaper 13 second factory cars than the Mustang.

Actually, the 10-12 tail light assemblies are in the $450 range each. The reason the 13's are so expensive is yes because they are new in production but also because they are frankly over-engineered with LED logic. Sequential only when turning but not when hazards are on or while braking. That's a nice feature sure but I don't think it's worth over $900. Then again I should have known better if I wanted cheap parts, I guess I should have bought a cheaper car. I feel like I kind of came off as bitchy here about the whole thing and that's not what I was going for. I have love for Mustangs -- even if mine's in the shop because they decided to go with a silly remote shifter assembly that shreds the cheap Chinese made transmissions.

And any of my whining about going off Ford is just me talking out of school. It would take a lot for me to buy something else. The only reason we bought the Town and Country was because we needed a minivan at the time and Ford didn't make one at that point... and the Flex is oogly.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Brand new they are. Used there's a bunch in the sub $200 range on eBay. Just like every other Mustang ever, the MASSIVE production numbers will have someone come up with a tail light that fits and works like the original for a fraction of the ridiculous price.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

ultimateforce posted:

DEAR MUSTANG BROS: I want a 15:1 power steering rack for my '94 GT. Didn't the faster rack come as an option in Foxbodies? Can I use that or something?

Edit: I want fast steering in my SN95 but the power steering on this car is trash.

You can swap out racks between Fox Bodies & SN95's, but it requires parts you have to purchase. I'd suggest just buying an aftermarket quick ratio 15:1 rack built specifically for the SN95. Also, more people swap racks from the SN95 to the Fox Body than vice versa.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

Lord Gaga posted:

Brand new they are. Used there's a bunch in the sub $200 range on eBay. Just like every other Mustang ever, the MASSIVE production numbers will have someone come up with a tail light that fits and works like the original for a fraction of the ridiculous price.

Right but there will only be two production years of this particular tail light. I doubt they'll carry over to the S550, so I don't really see "massive" production numbers, but there will be a good deal available cheaper in a few years sure. Maybe Raxiom will come out with something aftermarket as well. I guess no matter what I say you're going to counter that $900 is a reasonable price to pay for a tail light on a Mustang, so I really know what else to say. I think they cost too much, you don't seem to think they cost too much, or at least can justify the insane price. Okay fair enough. The biggest mistake I made there was being so pissed over it that I put in a claim in on my insurance to have it done for half the price. The problem for that was, of course, when my renewal period hit. Gotta love Geico.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

roger wilco posted:

Right but there will only be two production years of this particular tail light. I doubt they'll carry over to the S550, so I don't really see "massive" production numbers, but there will be a good deal available cheaper in a few years sure. Maybe Raxiom will come out with something aftermarket as well. I guess no matter what I say you're going to counter that $900 is a reasonable price to pay for a tail light on a Mustang, so I really know what else to say. I think they cost too much, you don't seem to think they cost too much, or at least can justify the insane price. Okay fair enough. The biggest mistake I made there was being so pissed over it that I put in a claim in on my insurance to have it done for half the price. The problem for that was, of course, when my renewal period hit. Gotta love Geico.

No, I agree its a ridiculous price. My contention was with the boo hoo the Mustang isn't for poor people any more. Used Mustangs will always be for poor people.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Hi guys, Im looking at an 04 GT with a stick later tonight. 51k miles, says he keeps it in a garage during winter (Buffalo, NY) everything looks mostly stock. He put it up for 9.5k, KBB for very good is 9.7. Anything I should be specifically looking out for?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Speaking of direct injection, Project Ugly Horse - the garbage secretary-spec Fox body with a Cobra IRS rear end - is getting an amazing boost.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/17/project-ugly-horse-part-viii/

I love this project car and it gets more amazing every time they update.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love this project car and it gets more amazing every time they update.

I think the project is cool as hell but I was a bit bummed about the free engine from Ford. I would've much preferred the writer to find his own engine somewhere - it just takes away some of the home-grown authenticity of the project. It's not like you see "Automotive Company X Racing Team" throwing engines at many of the projects you see here in AI. I mean it's super smart on the part of Ford, it just tarnishes it a bit for me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
He had a 2.3 Turbo ready to put in, and even put in work to get the trans to bolt up. It's not like he was planning on this windfall.
I think it's for the AI greater good that an Ecoboost 4 gets into a Foxbody sooner rather than later.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
or on my Deep Impact Blue'13 GT?

Also, I was thinking of doing the staggered setup like the Shelby, they run 20x9.5's in the back and 19x9.5's up front. Opinions?

Locobono fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 21, 2013

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What color is the car? Black wheels only look good on some colors.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

He had a 2.3 Turbo ready to put in, and even put in work to get the trans to bolt up. It's not like he was planning on this windfall.
I think it's for the AI greater good that an Ecoboost 4 gets into a Foxbody sooner rather than later.

Yeah, and on top of this it's not like nobody has ever stuffed a turbo 2.3 Pinto into a Fox before; Ford did it factory, even.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Welp. I bought a mustang.

Those are the craigslist pictures, I didnt think to take any. Talked the guy down from 9500 to 8500 because the tires were almost done and there was a tiny dent in the wheel well. Its a 04 GT with a stick and the 40th anniversary package. Im not thrilled with the aftermarket headlights, which are like the BMW angel eyes or whatever theyre called. 51,000 miles. The guy is driving it here tomorrow.

Time to watch videos so I can learn how to drive stick.

edit: Im the 3rd owner, apparently the first owner lowered it, added a cai, changed the lights and added some silly lights in the wheel well. Everything else is stock.

Cage fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 21, 2013

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Good to know prices are still fairly high. Gives me high hopes for when i sell my 2002 34,000 mile 6psi kenne belle setup with tokico gas shocks, K&R springs, and magnaflow exhaust

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

coolskillrex remix posted:

Good to know prices are still fairly high. Gives me high hopes for when i sell my 2002 34,000 mile 6psi kenne belle setup with tokico gas shocks, K&R springs, and magnaflow exhaust
Well, I paid 1200 less than KBB. I didnt think 8500 was high, I see auto V6s going for 7000. You guys would know better than me though!

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Krakkles posted:

What color is the car? Black wheels only look good on some colors.

Whoops, Deep Impact Blue.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The black ones COULD work. I think gunmetal would look better, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Krakkles posted:

Agreed, I think the lighter wheels would look better with that color paint.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

Welp. I bought a mustang.

edit: Im the 3rd owner, apparently the first owner lowered it, added a cai, changed the lights and added some silly lights in the wheel well. Everything else is stock.

Awesome deal dude! I always cringe when I hear generic terms for lowering it and cai. I am pretty much becoming a suspension snob. when you say lowered, do you know if the springs where cut? or where they replaced with aftermarket? if they are cut, your car is gonna be bouncing all over the place. a good set of H&R springs will be awesome. As for replacing the lights, they are really cheap, about 135 bucks per set.

in the picture the exhaust tips do not look like they are stock, do you know what exhaust is on your car?

If you are planning any mods, invest in full length subframe connectors and a different set of rear end gears for you car like a 3.73 gear ratio. your car will be nice and stiff and be able to launch a lot quicker.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
So I see the last few pages people saying not to get the 2010 or older v6, but how is the newer one? is it good, great, ok or what? My sister just went from her '95 GT to a '14 v6 and her only complaint so far is it's a lot quieter then her GT. My sister getting a new one makes my wife want a '13/'14 convertible but says she wants the better mileage (and cost) of the v6. She also wants the MT not an AT don't know if that makes a difference with the v6 or not.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BJA posted:

So I see the last few pages people saying not to get the 2010 or older v6, but how is the newer one? is it good, great, ok or what?

I have a '13 V6, and it's OK. It's going to depreciate like a motherfucker, it's got power but not tons of torque down low and the shortest gears you can get are 3.31. The transmission isn't great for shifting quickly, which is OK because the gears are so long you'll only be doing 1st 2nd 3rd if you're revving it out.

Push dealers on price and you can get them unbelievably cheap, the build quality on the current ones is better than I've seen on any Mustang before, and once you get the revs up it's got plenty of power to be fun. I'd say the engine is a pretty good sports car engine, but a bad Mustang engine because of a lack of torque down low. I'm actually going to upgrade my rating to "good" because I would buy it again if I had to choose. I like my car a lot. Get a stick and the 3.31 gears if you're getting a V6.

Edit: I got the V6 instead of the GT because I have a commute right now that's piling miles on. I wanted a big comfy GT car to commute and drive intercity in, but kept my Miata around to be a fun car. If you're getting a toy car get the V8! I wanted a reasonably priced RWD commuter with enough power to have a little fun, and the current V6es are incredible for that.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 21, 2013

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
It's basically a cheap new 350Z if you can't afford the cash price to get one used.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

It's basically a cheap new 350Z if you can't afford the cash price to get one used.

It's my grown up responsible person car, it has a trunk that can carry a big suitcase and 4 seats that can fit adult humans. The 350Z doesn't have those!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BJA posted:

So I see the last few pages people saying not to get the 2010 or older v6, but how is the newer one? is it good, great, ok or what? My sister just went from her '95 GT to a '14 v6 and her only complaint so far is it's a lot quieter then her GT. My sister getting a new one makes my wife want a '13/'14 convertible but says she wants the better mileage (and cost) of the v6. She also wants the MT not an AT don't know if that makes a difference with the v6 or not.

I've got a 2011 V6 MT and I still love it. I don't think there's a particular lack of low-down torque, but maybe the Canadian version has different gearing than the American version. 1st gear is so short that, if you're moving at all, it's not worth shifting into 1st. The GT has obviously got more torque and power, but that goes without saying. If I had a do-over and the money (both for the initial purchase and the fuel consumption difference), I'd probably pick the GT, but I can't say I've been anything but completely satisfied with my V6. I think I might end up getting a slightly louder muffler (looking at the FRPP Touring or Borla Touring; thoughts?), but even that's not really a necessity.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
If you're not supposed to buy a pre '11 v6 then where do you get a reliable, cheap to fix, v6, RWD car for $3k?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The whole issue is at that price point, you're talking about V6s that are such turds that they're best compared to vaguely more modern four cylinders.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
I like my V6 mustang. I dont think its much of a turd with 190HP/220FtLbs. Newer cars are always going to be faster but they are not going to be RWD.

I like to think of it as a cheap FRS/BRZ. :downs:

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 21, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Weinertron posted:

It's my grown up responsible person car, it has a trunk that can carry a big suitcase and 4 seats that can fit adult humans. The 350Z doesn't have those!

Whoa which mustang has four seats for grown-ups? My 2012 sure doesn't.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It can work if none of them are very tall. I didn't think it was possible either, but my friend and his wife gave me a ride to the airport one time, and it actually worked, even if it was none too comfortable. If the driver's short enough, I think there could be enough room for four people.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Krakkles posted:

You mean the charcoal ones I posted?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's hard to get in and out but not terrible once you're actually back there. I don't know about the BRZ but the Mustang backseat is undoubtedly better than the G37 Coupe and the Genesis Coupe. I can't even sit up straight in the back of a G37.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SanitysEdge posted:

If you're not supposed to buy a pre '11 v6 then where do you get a reliable, cheap to fix, v6, RWD car for $3k?

You buy a v8 crown vic like the rest of AI. You also save $2,500.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

IOwnCalculus posted:

The whole issue is at that price point, you're talking about V6s that are such turds that they're best compared to vaguely more modern four cylinders.

Do we grudingly respect or roll our eyes at guys who admit they have V6s by putting a 4.0 badge on the fenders of their new Mustang? Which isn't the right displacement, but whatever.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
The newer v6 cars are okay and there sure are a ton of them around here. I don't see many post 2011 GTs (though they could all be getting their transmissions rebuilt.) As for the 4.0 badges I always though those a bit silly - but then again I am not a huge fan of aftermarket badges at all and I think they look bad consistently every time. Still, I tend to respect someone that puts work into their car, even if it turns out like poo poo after the fact. I don't scoff at V6 mustang owners because I feel that's douchey, but I personally wouldn't go that route and for what it's worth my wife said she wanted "a mustang like [mine] only less powerful" which meant a v6 and I told her no. I'm not paying for one unless I can get it super cheap. There's just better options out there -- like a nice used PI crown vic, for instance.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Locobono posted:

You mean the charcoal ones I posted?
Sure. The "not black" ones you posted.

Badge chat: I want to debadge my GT, but I think the badges are bolted in. Not possible without bodywork, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Wow, Ford Sync is a buggy piece of poo poo.

Every once in a while, I'm driving along, listening to songs on my iPhone (USB-connected, I'm not streaming over Bluetooth), and it will just plain stop responding to pressing 'next song' on the steering wheel. Or it will just make some garbled static noises and stop playing. Or Sync will chime in and tell me something like "Due to the number of files on this media device, some speech commands are not available for this device," and then just go silent and stop playing anything. Unplugging the thing from the USB port and plugging it back in usually restores functionality...for a while.

So I figure I'll see if any firmware updates are available. Go over to syncmyride.com. New account, put in my VIN and all that stuff. It tells me there's a firmware update available, and up pops some ActiveX poo poo to download it to my USB drive. Okay, out to the car, follow the instructions, except the firmware update doesn't work because the system in the car expects to see the install image in the root directory of the USB drive and the Ford web site sticks the install image in a goddamned subdirectory. What, they have a team of trained monkeys working on that way?

So exasperated, I give up for a while. Use the USB drive for other poo poo. So I figure that I'll try again, redownload the firmware update, and manually move it into the root directory of the USB.

Only now when I go over to syncmyride.com, it won't let me download the firmware update again. Says there's no newer version for me to update. Note that I never reported the previous version as successfully installed, it's just *not letting me download it again.*

What the loving gently caress? Anyone have a direct link to download whatever the gently caress the most recent firmware update is for a 2013 GT *without* satnav or touch screen?