Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

seventeen posted:

Hey guys, I'm moving cross country to Oregon this winter. Do ska shows exist in the Pacific Northwest?

They did in Northern California, so probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Three Cheers for Disappointment
Edna's Goldfish - Before You Knew Better

I also feel like I should put a Mad Caddies and Five Iron Frenzy album on here but I'm having trouble thinking of one I'd consider a classic (Just One More or Rock The Plank and Upbeats & Beatdowns being the closest) so you're probably just better off with one of the live albums at first.

Also, loving Talco - Combat Circus if you don't mind people singing in other languages. Actually, doesn't loving matter, just listen to it anyway.

Deargodalion posted:

Suburban Legends - Rumpshaker

Thank god someone else appreciates how loving great this album is

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Mad caddies

Thank god someone else appreciates how loving great this album is

On the mad caddies: I always liked Keep it going and Quality Softcore,

On Suburban legends: Their Suburban Legends EP is also amazing. I rank it and Rumpshaker as their best pieces.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The Rose Tint My World cover gets me hot and bothered

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The only bad FIF album might be Quantity is Job 1 but that's only because it's all over the place and really messy. Near the end of their touring they were only playing One Girl Army off of it and anything else got shuffled into that little "These Songs Don't Matter Anymore" medley.

If you're gonna get into them for their upcoming album then you may as well start from Electric Boogaloo because that and The End is Here is the direction their music is in now. I personally like The End is Here the most only because it has the best opening stretch of songs in their catalog and it flows perfectly.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 20, 2013

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Oh geez that is a lot of ska. I'm working my way through it, and I really dig the Toasters and Less Than Jake so far. (I also grabbed the rest of Streetlight's stuff and some merch, really love those guys.) It's gonna take me a while to work through all this stuff guys, but thanks a lot! I definitely like Third Wave (and I guess post-Third Wave apparently) more than the earlier stuff, but I'm liking stuff like Skatellites too.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Okay since we're kinda talking about Streetlight again can I buy THTT from the RISC store yet? It still says pre-order, but it seems to be available physically on Amazon and I'm so confused and dumb help.

vvv: Ah right, thanks. I'll wait then.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 21, 2013

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Volt Catfish posted:

Okay since we're kinda talking about Streetlight again can I buy THTT from the RISC store yet? It still says pre-order, but it seems to be available physically on Amazon and I'm so confused and dumb help.

It IS available on amazon and the like through Victory

But if you want to have a physical copy with the money going straight to the band themselves, no they havent released any preorders yet. It probably won't be for a little while either

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

May I also suggest RxBandits, but only if you listen to them in order and even maybe skipping Mandala because it's too different.

Progress-The Resignation-And The Battle Begun. It's a great progression from solid but typical Third Wave ska into a more progressive form. I love it all, but especially the Resignation. There's more than a hint of the Police in there.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Listen to every Bomb The Music Industry! album.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

bowmore posted:

Listen to every Bomb The Music Industry! album.

Vacation/Scrambles
Get Warmer
Adults!!!/Others! Others!
Goodbye Cool World/Album Minus Band
To Leave or Die In Long Island

In that order

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a reason for that order?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Vacation/Scrambles
Get Warmer
Adults!!!/Others! Others!
Goodbye Cool World/Album Minus Band
To Leave or Die In Long Island

In that order

I dunno dude, I started with TLODILI (Congratulations! Specifically) and that's what got me hooked. I agree that maybe Scrambles or Adults! is there best album, but I think I'd put Album Minus Band last.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My order would be for someone new to BTMI!

Adults!!!
To Leave or Die in Long Island
Get Warmer
Scrambles
Goodbye Cool World
Album Minus Band
Others! Others!
Vacation

Vacation last because it's BTMI's most complete album as a whole and will be fully appreciated heard last.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

bowmore posted:

Is there a reason for that order?

Progressively more "raw", that's the order I've used for a lot of people and have gotten success. I feel like if you start with TLODILI it turns lesser people off because it's off the loving wall. Not really a problem in here, I suppose. Get Warmer would be the first one I'd listen to of the first 4 anyway because it's their most traditionally ska album

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Scrambles/Adults/Vacation, listened to in that order, is the Top Tier BtMI album, no questions asked. I love listening to them that way, because you start with stuff like 25, bemoaning the way life's going, and ending with Campaign for a Better Next Weekend, realizing that life's going lovely because you think it's going lovely and you need to enjoy it while you can.

Also because Campaign for a Better Next Weekend is easily one of my top five BtMI songs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to listen to that trilogy.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Also because Campaign for a Better Next Weekend is easily one of my top five BtMI songs.

I guess I

shouldn't have worn shorts

:tviv:

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
For some reason I've never listened to Get Warmer despite Scrambles being one of my favorite albums of all time ever. Holy poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I guess I

shouldn't have worn shorts

:tviv:

Seriously the whole "It felt just like a vacation until we all complained until we all got jaded and started to hate it" bit is like the thesis of that album. "It's really not that bad, we just think it is because we never stop complaining." It's a rebuttal to Scrambles' "life sucks and everything good sucks eventually, but I guess I'll enjoy the things I can while I can".

fake edit If I had to pick one song off each of the albums that summed up its place in the "trilogy" best, it'd probably be 25, All Ages Shows/Big Finish/Sanawon, and Campaign for a Better Next Weekend.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
When I started coming into this thread last year to hear about the new Streetlight, everyone was constantly talking about Vacation and how good it was, and quite a lot of people gave me the impression that everything before that was so badly produced it was basically unlistenable. So, I went and just got Vacation and loved it so much. Such a great album. Recently checked out everything before it, cautiously, and was so surprised when all of it was also very good.

Scrambles/Adults/Vacation is such a good trilogy but everything else is also rad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rear end Catchcum posted:

When I started coming into this thread last year to hear about the new Streetlight, everyone was constantly talking about Vacation and how good it was, and quite a lot of people gave me the impression that everything before that was so badly produced it was basically unlistenable. So, I went and just got Vacation and loved it so much. Such a great album. Recently checked out everything before it, cautiously, and was so surprised when all of it was also very good.

Scrambles/Adults/Vacation is such a good trilogy but everything else is also rad.

Yeah, it's all really well-produced, and Jeff is a genius at composing and arranging these songs. Vacation is just the most focused, musically. Everything else is kinda scattershot as to what it sounds like, but Vacation is just a garage punk album about life being alright after all.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Shabadu posted:

May I also suggest RxBandits, but only if you listen to them in order and even maybe skipping Mandala because it's too different.

Progress-The Resignation-And The Battle Begun. It's a great progression from solid but typical Third Wave ska into a more progressive form. I love it all, but especially the Resignation. There's more than a hint of the Police in there.

Mandala is their best album so don't skip it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yeah, skip mandala if you don't like listening to good music

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

EGSunBro posted:

Oh geez that is a lot of ska. I'm working my way through it, and I really dig the Toasters and Less Than Jake so far. (I also grabbed the rest of Streetlight's stuff and some merch, really love those guys.) It's gonna take me a while to work through all this stuff guys, but thanks a lot! I definitely like Third Wave (and I guess post-Third Wave apparently) more than the earlier stuff, but I'm liking stuff like Skatellites too.

I whole heartedly suggest 'No Self Control' by the Planet Smashers in addition to all the other bands I threw at you earlier. You may also enjoy MU330 / Dan Potthast. Potthast has covered multiple Streetlight Manifesto songs on his split with Tomas so it might be an easier shift while hearing more sounds of the genre

E: vvv Read as Slapshot and I totally jumped out of my skin with excitement. Slapstick is rad too though

seventeen fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 21, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Man you know what band nobody has mentioned yet?

Slapstick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq64khmSeLE

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

nerve posted:

Yeah, my only caveat was that it's not ska. Still owns, but not quite as much as The Resignation for me, Never Slept so Softly pulls on my feels so hard.

The middle part of All Ages Shows gets me every goddamn time. I love the Jeff/Laura back and forth and its the reason I dig her solo stuff. And I wanna just blast the Descendents.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Shabadu posted:

Yeah, my only caveat was that it's not ska. Still owns, but not quite as much as The Resignation for me, Never Slept so Softly pulls on my feels so hard.

RX Bandits stopped making ska after Those drat Bandits. e: Actually Halfway Between Here and There. Forgot that album exists.

I can pretty confidently say RXB is a band that got better with every album.

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
Progress still had a lot of ska and reggae influence though. I would say that was when they stopped really making ska music and became more of a prog rock band with The Resignation and ...And The Battle Begun. They distanced themselves even further with Mandala by not having horns and pretty much the only song having any sort of ska/reggae style being Bury It Down Low.

One of my favorite bands and definitely agree that every album is better than the last. Mandala is so good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think I'm the only BTMI! fan who lists Goodbye Cool World as one of their favorite albums. While nothing tops Vacation, GCW just has so many great songs.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Why do people not like Goodbye Cool World as much? I mean, it's no Vacation (or Scrambles), but it's pretty solid.

Also, I cannot believe I missed Rump Shaker chat. That album is gold. I'm super partial to Blingity Bling.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Holy poo poo, Jeff Rosenstock's solo album. So good.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

nerve posted:

I can't believe they haven't made anything since 2009 :emo:

However, speaking of the 2000's.

New goldfinger?

http://www.goldfingermusic.com/

Neeb
Oct 21, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think I'm the only BTMI! fan who lists Goodbye Cool World as one of their favorite albums. While nothing tops Vacation, GCW just has so many great songs.

GCW is definitely one of my favourites and if it had been recorded with a full band I'd say it would top the list for me; I think it's the best balance between catchy/well written pop songs with enough Jeff-unpredictableness to make it interesting

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

all first three albums are incredible. everything, it's incredible.

GCW is probably my favorite of the first three, I'm always apprehensive of giving those albums first to the doubtful, hence my precession, but they're much better than they'll ever get credit because of Scrambles and post.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 25, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Aquabats just shared this on their facebook page, figured some of you folks might be interested.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
So, I just listened to Smash Mouth's first album for the first time ever today. Heard Walkin on the Sun on the radio, decided to put the whole album on at work. Never did I ever have any clue they started out with Ska punk, and holy poo poo did that album kick rear end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPgnSz-NPY for reference

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

get out.

Alternatively to also not contribute to the thread: I really love ASOB but BTMI just bores the gently caress out of me.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

Grandmaster.flv posted:

get out.

Alternatively to also not contribute to the thread: I really love ASOB but BTMI just bores the gently caress out of me.

Don't worry, you're not alone. BTMI sounds like rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A sexy rear end.