Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

It must feel good to let that out after carrying it around inside for close to 20 years.

And for the record they are getting ready to return to Earth from Dimension-X where they had teamed up with Leatherhead to find the Turnstone for the goddess Cherubae.

Haha, indeed! Some TPBs of this series my mom bought for me at a Kroger were some of my first comics. For years I wondered why Wingnut and Screwloose weren't in the cartoon more and where the hell Scumbug was.

oh man and that loving turnstone and the dumb voodoo lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Ghostlight posted:

But why would you moonlight as a costumed vigilante when you're already a vigilante turtle. :psyduck:

I know in the CGI movie, the team kinda fell apart for a while, so Raph became a costumed vigilante (who was easily recognized by Casey, since he looked like a giant metal turtle).

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Little Mac posted:

No way it totally makes sense [...] who is no longer a villain and found his calling as a space wrestler, needs their help with something.

Oh Christ this is what we all sound like to normal people isn't it

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Chinaman7000 posted:

The best answer to that is to post that panel from Final Crisis where Montoya says "anytime I say anything these days, it sounds like I've lost my mind."

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Chinaman7000 posted:

Like some kind of superhuman TMNT quoting machine. Ruling the local shop.

Punisher Max #57 (2008)

THE GAME HOST
What brand of cigarettes does Frank Miller smoke? Is it--

We see a murky evening, a dead end alley lined with dumpsters opening on to a city street. A young boy, a comics fan with a backpack and holding a single issue, enters the alley and starts to open a glass-paneled door leading into a HoJo lobby. The door flies open, and the fan staggers. The boy's grip fails on his prized issue. As it falls we see it's a bagged Daredevil #158. The colorful comic falls into a murky, garbage-laden puddle, along with a freshly cracked soft pack. The boy grabs both. He notices the man exiting the hotel has stopped, with his hand out. The boy hands over the cigarettes. The man retrieves the one dry cig left in the crushed, sodden pack. We see over his shoulder as he lights the cig, flare illuminating his face in profile. The young fan, shaking with adrenalin, slips out the still-spotless comic and offers it on the altar of optimism. Tight shot of deeply lined eyes glancing down, then back up to the soft, youthful face. With one mighty inhalation, the man ashes the cigarette, plucks it free, and grinds it into the cover, obscuring the hero's gritted teeth in char. Man tosses the cig pack aside and re-enters the building. The pack falls...falls...falls...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

smashpro1 posted:

I know in the CGI movie, the team kinda fell apart for a while, so Raph became a costumed vigilante (who was easily recognized by Casey, since he looked like a giant metal turtle).

Wasn't there also a time in the original cartoon where one of the bros donned a disguise and fought crime freelance too?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Here's a page from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #13 that makes exactly as much sense out of context as it does in context.

Oh man. I think this was my first comic book. No way anyone could forget Cudley the Cowlick. Can't remember any of the other names, but I recall the stump, and the wrestling champion who may have had four arms or something. The back up story was all about the champs weird rear end four armed, dog people family.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Die Laughing posted:

Oh man. I think this was my first comic book. No way anyone could forget Cudley the Cowlick. Can't remember any of the other names, but I recall the stump, and the wrestling champion who may have had four arms or something. The back up story was all about the champs weird rear end four armed, dog people family.

I--I do believe I owned this comic book when I was a kid. I had forgotten all about it. It's just as weird as I remember!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The Archie TMNT series got delightfully weird, and occasionally awesome, when they stopped adapting episodes of the cartoon.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The snapping turtle, and the chameleon dude, and the something monster that was going to destroy part of a Japanese nuclear plant until Donatello said it was only the cooling tower and not the reactor which was over there oh no why are you changing direction towards it, and the offputting vixen ninja making out with Raphael, and

Man, I'd almost forgotten these entirely.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Choco1980 posted:

Wasn't there also a time in the original cartoon where one of the bros donned a disguise and fought crime freelance too?

I know Mikey did in the 2000's series.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Supergirl #20: So in the New 52, Supergirl has her own Fortress of Solitude at the bottom of the ocean that she calls Sanctuary. She recently got poisoned by kryptonite, and so got taken there for medical treatment by Power Girl, who is... well, the exact same person, but from an alternate Earth. After fixing Supergirl up though, Sanctuary starts to trip out because it detects two of the same girl with an identical genetic code and suddenly turns into GLaDOS.

So the automated defenses start attacking and when Power Girl tries to help, the house kicks her out.

AIs are jerks.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

TwoPair posted:

Supergirl #20: So in the New 52, Supergirl has her own Fortress of Solitude at the bottom of the ocean that she calls Sanctuary. She recently got poisoned by kryptonite, and so got taken there for medical treatment by Power Girl, who is... well, the exact same person, but from an alternate Earth. After fixing Supergirl up though, Sanctuary starts to trip out because it detects two of the same girl with an identical genetic code and suddenly turns into GLaDOS.

So the automated defenses start attacking and when Power Girl tries to help, the house kicks her out.

AIs are jerks.

Is this what Supergirl is like now that it's out of that H'el storyline I keep seeing Goons warn other Goons against? I enjoyed Supergirl before the Nu52 and was bummed out when the new version hit.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TwoPair posted:

AIs are jerks.
Oh my God. Two questions: How does this line up with that Earth-2 thing where PG's wearing a sensible outfit, and is the book always that good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Oh my God. Two questions: How does this line up with that Earth-2 thing where PG's wearing a sensible outfit, and is the book always that good?

It was a running thing in Worlds' Finest that PG's costume keeps getting wrecked and torn a boob window. She rescued Supergirl last issue and brought her back to her fortress which gave her this new/traditional suit.
The book has been pretty good up till it was involved in the H'el On Earth crossover, now it seems pretty good again with a new writer.

Trast posted:

Is this what Supergirl is like now that it's out of that H'el storyline I keep seeing Goons warn other Goons against? I enjoyed Supergirl before the Nu52 and was bummed out when the new version hit.

Apart from the H'el stuff it's all been really decent. There was a nice little civilian cast and relationship early on that's really worth reading if you hadn't followed it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 20, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Haha, anyone near 30 is OOOOLLDDD according to someone who is 17-18 years old.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm feeling depressingly old near 30 :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It was a running thing in Worlds' Finest that PG's costume keeps getting wrecked and torn a boob window. She rescued Supergirl last issue and brought her back to her fortress which gave her this new/traditional suit.

:sigh: Of course it did.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mister Roboto posted:

Haha, anyone near 30 is OOOOLLDDD according to someone who is 17-18 years old.

:( I'm 31.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

Go to bed, old man, you'll miss your morning soaps.

Alysonne
Nov 2, 2009
So is that implying there's at least a 37% chance she's both a clone and a doppelgänger?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alysonne posted:

So is that implying there's at least a 37% chance she's both a clone and a doppelgänger?

Robots don't get alternate universes.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gatts posted:

Well, you're in good company. Superman, Batman and Wonder Women are generally written and drawn to be about 30 (albeit in 100% peak physical condition). Power Girl is about the same age, maybe a tiny bit younger, but otherwise they're all grown adults.

Just like you!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A grown rear end man who still reads superhero comics. Shameful.
Now if you'll excuse me I've got a new issue of MLP to get through.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Trast posted:

It's the second issue after the whole H'el debacle so it is hard to say, but if it continues this way I'm more than happy.

CapnAndy posted:

She changed over to the new costume in the middle of the last issue of World's Finest too. And while the old new costume was fine in the "not oogling"-department, it was a generally really lovely and ugly costume design. Also, since it was destroyed and damaged every third panel it didn't really give her a more dignified outfit anyway. As long as they don't manage to redesign her costume to something really good (like Captain Marvel or Psylocke) I rather see her wearing this one, boob window or not.

What's the use of a "sensible" but ugly costume when it usually looks like this:

World's Finest #1 and #4 I think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Decius posted:

What's the use of a "sensible" but ugly costume when it usually looks like this:

If only there was some way for editorial to tell artists and writers not to do that. Perhaps one day we will live in this crazy mystery future world.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lurdiak posted:

If only there was some way for editorial to tell artists and writers not to do that. Perhaps one day we will live in this crazy mystery future world.

Your statement presumes editorial is not in fact supporting this behavior.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

Your statement presumes editorial is not in fact supporting this behavior.

Of course editorial is supporting it, I'm just making fun of the idea that giving her a non-exploitative costume is doomed to failure because it'll get torn up sexily anyway and there's just nothing anyone can do to stop that.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

Of course editorial is supporting it, I'm just making fun of the idea that giving her a non-exploitative costume is doomed to failure because it'll get torn up sexily anyway and there's just nothing anyone can do to stop that.

It's not doomed to fail as Captain Marvel shows very well, but usually, even if the costume isn't lovely, half the time you've got the zipper down at the navel if you don't have someone shouting at the artist to keep it consistent.
Example: Rogue in X-Men Legacy before Marvel Now!. Depending on the artist one week she wore this boobtastic version:

X-Men Legacy Annual #1

or this version:

X-Men Legacy #260.1 if I am not mistaken

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just making fun of the idea that giving her a non-exploitative costume is doomed to failure because it'll get torn up sexily anyway and there's just nothing anyone can do to stop that.

I think they were too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

Go to bed, old man, you'll miss your morning soaps.

My morning soaps involve me dropping it in the shower and then slowly balancing myself to lean down and pick it up while half asleep while my knees creek and groan in agony.

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, you're in good company. Superman, Batman and Wonder Women are generally written and drawn to be about 30 (albeit in 100% peak physical condition). Power Girl is about the same age, maybe a tiny bit younger, but otherwise they're all grown adults.

Just like you!

:neckbeard: Perhaps I too will magically sprout magnificent gams like Power Girl and be in peak physical condition!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

And what's up with Supergirl's costume? It looks like it was so short that she had to glue a piece of cloth to cover up her crotch and add the cape to cover up the rear end. And isn't she supposes to be a teenager? That costume is just :stare: upon :stare:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Alhazred posted:

And what's up with Supergirl's costume? It looks like it was so short that she had to glue a piece of cloth to cover up her crotch and add the cape to cover up the rear end. And isn't she supposes to be a teenager? That costume is just :stare: upon :stare:

There was some blog, I'll never be able to find it again, but basically it picked apart female costumes and redrew them as less sexual and more functional, and they always referred to Supergirl's old costume as a 'frilly belt'

The new costume is even worse. What even is that?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From Injustice 19:

:pwn:

It really seems that Injustice render the artists unable to draw faces, that's Kevin Maguire up there.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm starting to think that the Injustice artists are in competition with each other over who can get away with drawing the most ridiculous face

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like how Black Adam looks like he is saying "Look! I took your arm!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Like a grampa with his thumb between his first and second fingers, leaving you momentarily upset by the loss of your nose

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like Black Adam wasn't expecting that to happen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Looks like Black Adam wasn't expecting that to happen.

"SEE HOW EASILY THIS poo poo JUST RIPS OFF? YOU'VE GOT TO GET A BETTER MECHANIC"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

They have got the brittlest drat metal in DC. Like, if you're gonna be a superhero, maybe spring for something that's not going to shred like construction paper the second somebody with super-strength gets ahold of you.

I'm supposed to believe these guys can develop complex cybernetics, but not a metal that Black Adam doesn't even need two hands to rend?

• Locked thread