Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
I first posted a thread about my project B2200 years ago and it fell into the archives after money ran out between going to school and being unemployed. I initially bought the truck for $550 and things quickly escalated past the $3,000 mark to get it road worthy, and recently passed the $5,000 mark. WELP.

When I started the truck looked like this:

aaaaaand the fuel pump was seized -in the tank- to the point where it might as well have been a barnacle on the bottom of a ship.

It was replaced with a new tank and pump. I also sprayed the rear frame at this point to hold back the cancer becasue it was being stored outside:

After it was running, I got to work on stripping the old and boring paint in the hopes of painting the truck a bright orange, but that never panned out due to cost:

so it sat in primer for WAAAAY too long. Yet, I never gave up on it. 3" lowering blocks were added, aftermarket lights, and a completely new front fascia and new oem alloys were sourced while it sat, waiting for the day...

after 4 years of being in and out of school, I landed a temp job doing industrial cleaning that earned me enough money to finish the job, but not as well as i wanted it to be. I was still a proud pappy to be finally driving it, that's for sure!

Over the past year I've proceeded to drive the living snot out of it and put 35,000km on it from the 113,000km I bought it with. The exhaust pipe broke at the down tube from the manifold, the steering box blew a seal at the pit man arm, I put a big dent in the right rear corner and wrecked the roll pan, and the box in general has taken a beating from being used to move furnitaure,appliances, an inboard boat motor, bikes -and myself to Mississauga for my new job 4 months ago- with various scars to prove it. I solved grounding issues with the rear tail lights, installed and painted a *free* tachometer, oh and a pizza driver hit me in traffic:

The rad had a stone pierce it and cause fluid to spray all over the alternator to the point of misfire, and ultimately failure on the 401 on the way to work early in the morning. nice. it worked for i don't know how long till that happened. $800 for parts and labour. At least it's nice and new right?

While I've been working building wings for Bombardier, maintenance items such as brakes and new shocks have been installed,a new speedo cable was needed, and parts have been collecting...

Not pictured are the red shifter knob and the various LED's I've replaced the incandescent bulbs with. The bulbs in the front marker lights, and backup lights are the only ones I've yet to swap. the front signal lights won't take them for some reason unknown to me.

I sprayed the salvaged and new bumper cheeks, front valance, side emblems, hardware and steel bumper to match the rest of the truck and go for the proper "murdered out" look:

Just like this:

Busted to badass in five years.

THINGS LEFT TO ATTEND TO:

Suspension bushings, all of them. they're all cracked and rotten.
-transmission seal at the forward yolk
-replace transmission fluid and gear oil in the rear diff
-LOTS OF BODY WORK on the box
-proper respray instead of tractor paint, in the same satin black.
-E brake cable replacement
-Sourcing a OEM steering wheel to cut the center out to attach a quick release hub and my MOMO steering wheel to
-fab up new levers for the column since the wheel placement will be different.
-wire up the battery cut off switch in the dash once it arrives
-alignment
-Have spacers made for flush fitment and change of bolt pattern for more wheel choices/ nice wheels and tires
-*SURPRISE ENGINE SWAP*
-upgrade brakes and relocate the battery to a battery box in the bed after the swap
-whatever else the swap requires
-locate, reinforce and install flush mount hood pins

Your move Holdbrooks, your move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
A kid in my old neighborhood (Hamilton, ON) did roughly what you are doing with a B2200. I've always liked them. Love to see them still being loved.

(Autocross it)

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Other items to address that i forgot about:

find, paint and glue windshield trim
Door seals
Addresses hood fitment issues
Realign the box to the cab
Cut out and fill cancer at the gas pedal

Don't worry ziplock, this truck has a buzzing future ;)

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

This truck is fantastic. Recommend using imgur.com instead of photobucket, to avoid photobucket's bandwidth caps and inevitable photo removal.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

FullMetalJacket posted:

Don't worry ziplock, this truck has a buzzing future ;)

What part of the Ontarios are you from?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
13B. 13B? 13B.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Ziploc posted:

What part of the Ontarios are you from?

I split my time between Mississauga and London where I'm originally from.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Awesome. My first vehicle was an '86 B2200 extended cab in poo poo brown. I loved that truck, it was incredibly reliable. I would like one just like yours to do a similar static drop and overall tidy. Such great little trucks.

e: Just like this but extended cab.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I approve of any 1996 and newer Japanese minitruck. A good thread.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I vote for a Miata BP engine and driveline for the surprise engine swap.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

I approve of any 1996 and newer Japanese minitruck. A good thread.

You mean older. I think '93 was the last year for this style B series.

My guess is a rotary for the engine swap since he mentions B in the thread title and buzzing in his posts. I'd vote for a 5.0 or something, though a turbo BP would be kinda cool.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I am talking generally Japanese trucks stopped being any good in 1996.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

ultimateforce posted:

I am talking generally Japanese trucks stopped being any good in 1996.

What the hell is this are you trying to provoke me?

96 was the first year that Toyota rolled out the 5VZ-FE jeez.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

That's right at the cut-off man. You are getting in to dangerous territory.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
The bp engine would be very similar to an f2t swap, the main difference being the top end and compression ratios. Easy? Probably, but I'm not going for easy.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

FullMetalJacket posted:

The bp engine would be very similar to an f2t swap, the main difference being the top end and compression ratios. Easy? Probably, but I'm not going for easy.

What motor do you have in there currently? Is this the Maza cousin of the Ford Ranger?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

DrPain posted:

What motor do you have in there currently? Is this the Maza cousin of the Ford Ranger?

F2 engine, manufactured by Mitsubishi mated to a 5 spd. My truck didn't come with any options; not even power steering. Ford and Mazda didn't make the same truck with different badges until 1994. Anything before that, I would consider the Mazda product to be superior.

i switched over to imgur, as you suggested stevobob :)

more pictures...

I forgot to mention that I added a ballast kit and HID bulbs(don't worry, aimed correctly, I promise) and in yellow so i won't blind people and won't need fog lamps. BIG improvement over the halogen bulbs, the feed just didn't have the amperage to make them effective. It rained heavily on the way back to Mississauga and they worked excellently and make the truck look like a BAMF in low light, imo.

The holes in the hood are from placing the hood pins this past weekend. I found that they would not sit flush with the skin of hood because of the contour at the front after selecting the stock hood bump stops as a starting location:

There's still more then an inch to move the location back, use the radius of the cut hole and match it to the radius of the latch. and still tie into the frame and not have to scrap the hood due to lack of fore thought. a replacement hood is easy to get and under $200 shipped anyways so...meh. I will be cutting through webbing to achieve this, but locations inboard of the body lines are a no-go for clearance. Again, reinforcement with .025-.032" steel weleded around the under side of the hood surrounding the latches will do more then enough to compensate for the structure that will be removed.

I mentioned scars that mark the bed, ranging from minor to "awwww gently caress" and they as follows:

There's others elsewhere on the truck, but they will all be done at once before the proper re-spray. The driver's side bumper cheek also decided it didn't like the paint I sprayed on it and I'll have to strip and clean it better.

Here's some shots of the interior :)

blue switch is fro the blue LED's in the headlamps pictured much earlier.

Aaaaand now the ABS light is coming on. lovely.

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 22, 2013

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The beach towel seat cover is a wonderful touch. :allears:

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Left Ventricle posted:

The beach towel seat cover is a wonderful touch. :allears:

Si, senior! It's actually necessary, the drivers side of the bench is wearing out.I'd rather add some color instead of re upolster. Cheaper too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yours is the truck that made me want one of these!

You jerk! I nearly paid way too much for one a month ago!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yours is the truck that made me want one of these!

You jerk! I nearly paid way too much for one a month ago!

I lucked out. I've seen other Bee's in much worse shape then what mine started in for more money, but the 5g rule still applies: If you spend less then 5,000 on the vehicle, it will cost you a total more then $5,000 over the first year of ownership.

I almost bought a 4x4 '86 tacoma just like this one that rolled into my uncle's garage to fix, but it was out of my budget at the time:

found a picture of one in orange! :3

red is a good colour for them too!

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I have one of those.
Mine was free, because it was dirty and the guy hadn't changed the oil since 1997. It was 2005.

I use it for towing cars, and bought air bags on it so the rear end doesn't sag. I need to install those one day.
I also have an autoloader for my boat that fits on top of it.
It has toyota ae86 seats that I have installed, but my wife finds uncomfortable. I should replace them some day.
I also found that the steering wheel from a first gen rx7 fits quite nicely in it.

http://limaconsoftware.com/pics/madzadocs/
Here is the shop manuals those jerks on ebay made me pay for. They help immensely.

I found I only really have photos of it loitering in the background of doing other things, as its always just been there.
Mine smokes like a bastard after sitting now, so I have a core engine to rebuild and throw in.
I thought I would have to do it to pass aircare, but it passed with flying colours.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
oh dear! I let an oil change or two go past 5,000k when I was low on funds But never that badly.

I use the Haynes manual, it's rather through.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

quote:

ha, off-topic but I worked at Cequent for two years. I had to do a double-take on the box.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
This is the total opposite of mine I bought a terrible one and made it worse. Good work!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

This is the total opposite of mine I bought a terrible one and made it worse. Good work!

That is totally going to end up as your custom title text.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

Thank you! I remember posting in your thread a long while back before the scars. How did you deal with the wheel spacing/ how wide can I go with the back? I know you cut the fenders and installed flares, but I'm not into that. I'd also like to swap for a fuel cell where the spare used to be, but only the filler hole will be exposed with a hinged cover over top to prevent FOD. Your experiences in this regard would be greatly appreciated. :)

This truck was originally bought to haul myself and a friend to the hills with these baby's in the back:

2/3rds paid off! I'm really looking forward to riding it :D
So I'll also be fabricating a removable, secure and lockable bike rack to accommodate 1-4 bikes. The box liner is also poo poo and doesn't fit exactly and I'd love to have it rhyno-lined/line-x or similar spray in box liner. This will happen after the proper re-spray

End goal: to have a super quick DD that will sham all the hella-stupidz I see on a day to day basis. I see so many dropped, fitted, non-functional cars bouncing around here in the GTA it's not even funny.

As to wheel choices I'm partial to a 5, 6 spoke or basket weave in either white or gold. The all-black-without-accents-look is played out. I'm not afraid to spend the money either, I can set aside a budget of $1500 just for wheels and tires. or I could just save up more and buy an e30 and sink money into it, a trailer and forget the engine swap idea all together making the e30 the fun car with M50 sized balls. Yet, Two vehicles means 2x the problems, so...not just yet.

The plan is converting the bolt pattern to 5 x 114.3, and no larger diameter then 17"

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 23, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Good to see this again! I've been wondering what had happened to it.

Rhyno posted:

That is totally going to end up as your custom title text.

I'll have you know I skipped beer for a day to buy that title. :arghfist:

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
When my K1500 finally dies I would love to find one of these that not dead from frame rot.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

FullMetalJacket posted:

:words:

I almost bought a 4x4 '86 tacoma just

:words:

No. No you did not. What you almost bought was a hilux, pickup or "Mini-Truck" in Toyota parlance, depending on the degree of sperg you wish to project.

Mine: (Not a Mazda or Tacoma)

Anyway, OP, a good friend of mine in high school had a B2200, an extended cab 5 speed. Lots of good times in that stupid truck, until the rear end blew up and the frame broke. Best of luck to you in that regard. Always wanted to find a pre Ford B2600, but I ended up buying a series of Toyotas instead.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
The frame broke? Do you recall why and where?

They're fantastic and reliable trucks. When I was doing courier work, a man popped out of his Beemer to talk to me and how his lasted to over 500000 km before imploding.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

very similar to the stock alloys.
or

18" and large pcd. will fit some nice wide tires too. Stick with blue lugs and a locker for each rim in white, red ones for bronze if I feel like it.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

FullMetalJacket posted:

very similar to the stock alloys.
or

18" and large pcd. will fit some nice wide tires too. Stick with blue lugs and a locker for each rim in white, red ones for bronze if I feel like it.

I have seen the te37 on a Tacoma and they do look sweet, but I'm not sure about buying wheels for twice the price of the truck. Troll Craigslist for "6 lug" and there are some nice thing that show up for cheap.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

I have seen the te37 on a Tacoma and they do look sweet, but I'm not sure about buying wheels for twice the price of the truck. Troll Craigslist for "6 lug" and there are some nice thing that show up for cheap.

yeah, they're the base idea. Don't fix what ain't broke, just make it better. I've seen cheaper variations but I should spend the money on a donor rx7 instead.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
What's up minitruck w/rotten bushing buddy!? :downs::respek::downs:

I'm totally jealous of your painted frame, if all goes well I'm gonna be at about the same spot in a few weeks. Regarding the bushings: get a propane torch and a dremel routing bit. I didn't have much luck getting mine to ignite like I've seen on youtube, but heating them makes them brittle, then just take the dremel bit to 'em. Fastest way, probably.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
You have to keep the torch on them until they start to self combust.

It takes an eternity with propane, oxyacetylene works leaps better.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
I'm one of the lucky ones where a garage with a hoist is in the family. I don't have much to worry about. :)

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
i thought about this driving around and I think the back end would benifit from a LSD. Options for rear ends with disc tabs?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Moving day!

:unsmith:

After this she'll never go vertical again. always a cool moment.

I passed probation and get to keep my job as a wing spelunker and contortionist, which also means a raise. BUT I got hit today on the driver's side of the box at the wheel arch which just means i have an excuse to make fender flares. Well, how about that!

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You jerk, there's an '89 for $800 just a 3 hour drive from here.

• Locked thread