Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
It comes from a gag on the 4chan comics board, /co/, where some guy was really mad about people calling Iron Man 'Ironman.' and people made fun of him.

"i hate it when people call zappy dan the magnet man magneto."

I got this from googling, so.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

AradoBalanga posted:

I have to :golfclap: the editor on that one. Just for coming up with all those names. That said, where does "Zappy Dan the Magnet Man" come from?

As for Index vs. Railgun, what turns me off to the former is how it handles an arc: Introduce 100 or so characters/set up the arc-->give two or three of the newly introduced people something important to do while ignoring the rest-->have Touma finish arc by punching something/someone/combination of the two-->ignore the 100 or so newly introduced characters for the rest of series to the point you question why they even were made in the first place. Railgun keeps the focus down to four people and a few side characters who drop in every now and again, so I can actually follow the plot and not be wondering who is who and why they are there in the first place.

This with good writing theoretically works to create a large interconnected story; suppose you introduce the MC and say 1-4 of his main co-protagonists. After that for an arc you introduce five more, but only 1-3 are relevant for the current arc, for fun you can even have 1-2 be villains. Arc ends, their main conflict is over, onto the next arc introduce another five characters; but now you have say, three characters from the previous arc who can now help the main character in this arc; and then shift the new characters in this arc to the next one like a Linked List, new character of any given arc only do some stuff now, but do most of their good stuff incrementally through newer arcs.

Five is probably too large a number but the idea of incremental the number of characters works so long as you keep recycling and rotating them in and out of main/side arcs, sort of like a linear version of DRRR.

Though 24 minute screen time might not be enough to really do this, so having spinoffs working in parallel like Railgun are great for this, Bleach is not unless you can commit to actually following through and focusing on other characters for a while.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

Timelines makes everything easier.

This season of Railgun has been significantly better than S1 so far, which was pretty boring and annoying for a number of episodes.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
I went out and bought volumes 5 and 6 of the Railgun manga because I just could not wait for the story to unfold at 24 minutes per week.

Based on how well they've pulled off this adaptation already (most of the scenes and events in the show are portrayed nearly 1:1 exactly as drawn in the manga, perspective, dialogue and all) and now knowing what I know, this season is going to completely blow season 1 out of the water. I'm SUPER pumped.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 18, 2013

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

bubblegumbo0 posted:

This season of Railgun has been significantly better than S1 so far, which was pretty boring and annoying for a number of episodes.
In the manga timeline: Misaki ( episode 1 of the second season ) and Kongou ( Somtime in the fist season) getting introduce happen after (Index spoiler) Touma's fight with Accelerator.

Also (Manga spoiler) Misaka spends several days fighting alone now before Touma getting involved.
I expect episode 12 or 12 to be still at Aug 19th in the timeline.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Jesus Christ was Index I seriously 6 different arcs? No wonder people complained about the pacing.

I enjoyed Railgun I, so from what I've seen Railgun S is absolutely phenomenal. From Misaka's perspective, it's like one gigantic nightmare and I don't know how it could end.

Also, is it just me, or does JC Staff love doing that thing where characters go "whaaaat!?!?" just before the commercial break for dramatic effect? They used the poo poo out of it for Ano Natsu (shut up, it's not a bad show).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I guess it's missing the later stuff/side stories.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
When you look at the timeline like that, Touma has had a very lovely couple of months.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

FrantzX posted:

When you look at the timeline like that, Touma has had a very lovely couple of months.

Touma has a very lovely life. "Misfortune" and all that.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Spoiler removed to avoid people being spoiled.

ArchangeI fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 18, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You should probably edit that spoiler a bit, champ. God, why are all of you so bad at this?

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
Definitely try to be considerate to those who might be watching Index (for the sisters arc from the magic-side perspective, namely) and/or Railgun season 1 to get up to speed between weekly episodes of Railgun S. Maybe even go so far as to preface spoilers with what source (Index, Index II, Railgun) or indicate that its a manga/LNs spoiler (it may be that JC Staff intend to portray/reveal things in a slightly different chronological order than the source material ... who knows).

I'm kinda bummed out having failed to resist the urge to read the manga and thus knowing what's coming this season. Not that I won't absolutely love every frame (can't stress enough how JC Staff is doing such a surprisingly good job with this season), but I wish I was going into this completely oblivious because holyshit some cool things definitely happen.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 18, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Jesus Christ that whole 52 episodes of Index took place across just four months?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So far it seems like the writing has been tightened up a little and there's less over-explaining what's going on in the action scenes--which marred one of my favorite bits in the first season of railgun: when Kuroko took down a building using teleportation and panes of glass. I'm enjoying this new season a whole lot.

I still think JC Staff's characters look funky in profile though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Angel fall is the (Index Spoiler) arc where a bunch of people swap appearances from Touma's POV right? I hope we get at leas one shot showing what Touma would see.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That's right. Given that it takes place in a different city and doesn't involve any of the main cast of Railgun, presumably we won't see any of it. IIRC, none of the espers should even be aware of it taking place.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Folks, I keep getting complaints about in spoilers in here. Now, I realize that it is a pretty reasonable assumption that, given this is a spin-off of an existing series, folks would be aware at least generally of the existing series. However, I'd like to ask for the sake of those who haven't that you clearly label Index spoilers, side-material spoilers, etc.

Please just report people who don't do so and not argue about it in thread either.

Thanks.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Well I still think people should of watched Index by now considering it aired 5 years ago, but whatever not gonna argue against the rules even if I do think they are kinda silly.

Anyways I got a question, if that timeline is legit where the heck does the season 1 Railgun OVA fit in?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Myurton posted:

Well I still think people should of watched Index by now considering it aired 5 years ago, but whatever not gonna argue against the rules even if I do think they are kinda silly.

Anyways I got a question, if that timeline is legit where the heck does the season 1 Railgun OVA fit in?

Some of us (like me) have never watched Index nor intend to. Railgun has been perfectly enjoyable as a standalone story so far.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Myurton posted:

The timeline of a lot of minor sidestories got jumbled up between the rRilgun manga and anime.
So a lot of things that already happened in the anime happened after the sisters arc in the manga timeline.
I would group the OVA there too.
Now that I think about it, in the opening to the school festival arc, the OVA's plot does get mentioned as having already happened.

So yeah.
Somewhere between 28. Aug and 18. Sep.
Just like episode 1 of this season.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm a little wary of the preview, it looks like we're getting an anime-only breather episode at a rather inopportune time. Then again, this also has the possibility of having additional perspectives on the same series of events which could be worthwhile just the same.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Nate RFB posted:

I'm a little wary of the preview, it looks like we're getting an anime-only breather episode at a rather inopportune time. Then again, this also has the possibility of having additional perspectives on the same series of events which could be worthwhile just the same.

Oh good that means the sisters arc is done, I can now marathon the entire thing since that is what I was waiting for.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What? The Sisters arc isn't going to be done for a while, it's the raison d'êtr of the season. It's just that in the preview there are numerous scenes that weren't in the manga which means they're probably going to pad it out a bit and try to invent ways for Kuroko/Saten/Uiharu to get screentime.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Well, it is kind of a natural stopping point between finding out about the project and doing something about it. I'm guessing they need to pad it out again since that's what happened in the first season.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
drat it, and here I was hoping I'd be able to actually watch the show finally. I'm waiting cause I hate that wait between weeks on this show.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Myurton posted:

drat it, and here I was hoping I'd be able to actually watch the show finally. I'm waiting cause I hate that wait between weeks on this show.

I know exactly how you feel! If it weren't for the fact I can't get enough of the action scenes in the Toaru series (She makes an electromagnetic tornado! Come on!!), I would just wait for the show to make its entire run.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah one of the coolest parts of this show is how inventive they get with powers, unlike most other shows which stick to your standard fare. I think Railgun is the only show out there that's made teleporting cool.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They're not brave enough to pull a Bokurano and teleport only parts of somebody.

That was a terrifying scene in Bokurano.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, Kuroko kicks rear end. I will probably not mind JC Staff's attempts to shoehorn her into the show more, and with 24 episodes (preview spoilers I guess)these kind of breaks are pretty inevitable (hopefully the timing of this "off" episode isn't too inopportune? It looked like Misaka was still doing more investigation).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The first half of season one managed to work at least some plot into most of their slice of life episodes, so it might not be too bad for breaking the flow.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I would actually love a filler episode where the gang runs into one of the Sisters and Misaka has to comically try to hide her from everyone like a bad sitcom episode.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Redcrimson posted:

I would actually love a filler episode where the gang runs into one of the Sisters and Misaka has to comically try to hide her from everyone like a bad sitcom episode.

Only if the stakes are kuroko seeing them. There was this bit from one of the other anime about a Sister having to shoot a teleporter to ge:t away, I recall.

veekie fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 19, 2013

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
Misaka you don't have to do this on your own. :(
You have a bunch of cool friends let them help you.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Hold up, there's an Index movie? And apparently a Railgun OVA? Are either worth watching?

And who ever made this chart really needed to have pointers to what date was referring to which series, cause episode 10 of Index was on Aug 20th, but episode 4 of Railgun S was probably Aug 11th or 12th, but the way they set it up it made it seem like both episodes happen on the 20th. A good way to differentiate would be to colour code the dates blue or orange when referring to specific series, with white for when they do sync up.
:goonsay:

EDIT: Like so:

... of course it's when I upload it that I notice I made a mistake and coloured all the blocks on the end blue, oh well. :v:

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 20, 2013

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
So what's the justification on Accelerator deflecting lightning bolts? Projectiles I can understand, but a lightning strike is a speed-of-light discharge. Considering that technobabble is apparently a thing in the source material, I'm wondering why he hasn't been fried yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fightest posted:

So what's the justification on Accelerator deflecting lightning bolts? Projectiles I can understand, but a lightning strike is a speed-of-light discharge. Considering that technobabble is apparently a thing in the source material, I'm wondering why he hasn't been fried yet.

You answered your own question. Accelerator can deflect lightning bolts because of technobabble.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fightest posted:

It is set to reflect by default, he doesn't have to do anything to knock stuff away, he has to actively not do it to touch things.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fightest posted:

Speed doesn't really matter. Not sure why you'd think it would. Accelerator can bend light since it has a vector.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ChronoReverse posted:

Speed doesn't really matter. Not sure why you'd think it would. Accelerator can bend light since it has a vector.

It's why he's that pasty color anyway. Sunlight, pah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, he can turn on his reflection barrier to be an automatic thing. In Index he even uses it to cancel out all sound around him to give him some peace and quiet.

ChronoReverse posted:

Because if he was actively deflecting things manually then he would need to calculate it faster than the speed of light. Then again, he might be able to do that because anime.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 21, 2013

• Locked thread