Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

JUTLAND :negative:

Uhm, I don't mind simple, Panzer General like modelling of naval units in a game where the focus is on the land campaigns. But why this, whyyyyyy???

A Jutland-dedicated game doesn't really look that much better:

(although I still prefer this to Stormeagle's Jutland / Distant Guns)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Would anyone be interested in playing a PBEM of one of the smaller WITP scenarios? I'm thinking ideally of the Guadalcanal scenario. In it, forces are relatively equal, there's no production management but still some need to manage supply and replacements and so forth. I'd be happy to take either side. 1-day turns, all the usual rules. I believe that I'm patched to the most recent official patch, I'd be happy to install one of the new patches if appropriate.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grognard UI design - There's a button for it somewhere.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So Matrix is making a game that isn't super-grognardy (Buzz Aldrin Space Program Manager).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh I don't mind how it looks, but warships in SC are just counters with hitpoints. Like 8 destroyers can surround a submarine after which it is trapped until it gets a 'submarine evades' roll.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So Matrix is making a game that isn't super-grognardy (Buzz Aldrin Space Program Manager).

There's also Pandora, but I really want to wait for testimonials before I believe said claim.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Decisive Campaigns question: How does command-and-control work in this game? I usually just move my HQs to be as close as possible to their respective subordinate units, or at least try to catch everyone within the "green zone", but I don't really know what any of this means. I'm also wondering if I'm causing something bad by moving the HQs every turn. Finally, how do you deal with the units that are directly attached to Army HQs instead of Corps HQs? It's sometimes a little difficult to keep them in the "green zone" of the Army HQ when they're so spread out.

EDIT: The new Matrix deals of the week are blah. Time of Fury is terrible and Panzer Command Ostfront is a mediocre Combat Mission-like.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 20, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Quick "should I throw myself on this unexploded game" question: in wandering through the Android appstore, I've found the "Conflict-series" by Joni Nuutinen, which look all old-school grognardy with the hexes and counters and all, but I'm at work and have no actual access for my device.

Are these worthwhile, or should I put my $2.99 each towards my post-apocalytic Cheetos cache instead?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dunno but you're only $3 away from figuring if they're any good so be sure and let us know.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Looks like the guys who made Flashpoint Germany are redoing it on a hex basis. Somehow the game, Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, has gotten uglier but it looks like it's eminently more playable than FPG.

e: Looks like WitE got a MapMod as well.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 21, 2013

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Decisive Campaigns question: How does command-and-control work in this game? I usually just move my HQs to be as close as possible to their respective subordinate units, or at least try to catch everyone within the "green zone", but I don't really know what any of this means. I'm also wondering if I'm causing something bad by moving the HQs every turn. Finally, how do you deal with the units that are directly attached to Army HQs instead of Corps HQs? It's sometimes a little difficult to keep them in the "green zone" of the Army HQ when they're so spread out.

EDIT: The new Matrix deals of the week are blah. Time of Fury is terrible and Panzer Command Ostfront is a mediocre Combat Mission-like.

That usually works well enough for me, but I think the meat of it is shown if you turn on the supply layer. Each regiment needs a certain amount of supplies and each HQ sends them factoring distance and terrain. The colors don't seem to be a hard limit, but I've noticed if you really advance far or stretch things out it can take a hit even if you are in the green all the way up the chain. I honestly never turn on the layer though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Quick "should I throw myself on this unexploded game" question: in wandering through the Android appstore, I've found the "Conflict-series" by Joni Nuutinen, which look all old-school grognardy with the hexes and counters and all, but I'm at work and have no actual access for my device.

Are these worthwhile, or should I put my $2.99 each towards my post-apocalytic Cheetos cache instead?

I'd recommend "German Eagle vs Russian Bear" instead. The graphics are downright dire, but the game does a pretty good job of modelling the Eastern Front on a grand strategy (Strategic Command/Clash of Steel) scale and the rules are very easy to follow.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dk.eaglebear&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5kay5lYWdsZWJlYXIiXQ..

Posting pictures of that new WITE mapmod from my current game. Functionally it's not so different (and in fact maybe the city names are too small and the river lines are sometimes hard to parse), but just having a different map to look at is a breath of fresh air:

EDIT: The Lost Battles are a good opportunity to practice Axis defenses. But is there a way to check how many replacements or much TOE% a specific unit gained?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 21, 2013

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why's Time of Fury so bad? I'm looking for an operational level game with a little more detail than Panzer Corps and it looked to fit the bill. Any recommendations?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

UncleSmoothie posted:

Why's Time of Fury so bad? I'm looking for an operational level game with a little more detail than Panzer Corps and it looked to fit the bill. Any recommendations?

The AI is terrible, the units have a really generic feel, and generally the game is just really unpolished. That studio, Wastelands Interactive, churns out these games like they were from a Soviet T-34 factory, clunkiness and all.

For operational-level that's deeper than Panzer Corps, your best bet is still Unity of Command, or perhaps Decisive Campaigns. If you like the Europe-wide scale, Strategic Command from GOG also works.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Would anyone like to play a game of DC:Case Blue?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Unity of Command is currently on sale for $5 on Amazon, although I don't think it's Steam-compatible.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Dunno but you're only $3 away from figuring if they're any good so be sure and let us know.

Naw, I'm about 30% brain activity away from noticing that there was a demo version of Operation Barbarossa. :downs:

Also grabbed the football simulator wargame suggested by gradenko_2000, Russian Eagle vs. German Bear.

(I used :downs: for a reason, y'know. :v:)

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Alchenar posted:

Would anyone like to play a game of DC:Case Blue?

If you can give me a quick rundown on how to play it, I will.

edit: And by that I mean I know the basics, just when is it best to use commander abilities, what ones, etc.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 21, 2013

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Gustav Line expansion is now available for Combat Mission Fortress Italy.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

gradenko_2000 posted:

The AI is terrible, the units have a really generic feel, and generally the game is just really unpolished. That studio, Wastelands Interactive, churns out these games like they were from a Soviet T-34 factory, clunkiness and all.

For operational-level that's deeper than Panzer Corps, your best bet is still Unity of Command, or perhaps Decisive Campaigns. If you like the Europe-wide scale, Strategic Command from GOG also works.

Strategic Command 2 Gold and Strategic Command WW1/Breakthrough are really good games that are deeper than Panzer Corps and more a bit more deeper than Commander: The Great War.

The devs post constantly on the forums and everyone is very helpful. I really like supporting them because they really reach out the community and really care what people think.

PS: Gustav Line is done, CM rules everything in that specific genre and the Distant Worlds expansion is coming Thursday that is pretty much changing the whole game.

edit: http://matrixgames.com/news/1085/Armageddon.invasion.starts.in.2014 Okay i'm excited about this. If they can just get a good graphic artist and a normal UI but make it grognardy as gently caress with those action figures people play with it will be a good game.

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 21, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

edit: http://matrixgames.com/news/1085/Armageddon.invasion.starts.in.2014 Okay i'm excited about this. If they can just get a good graphic artist and a normal UI but make it grognardy as gently caress with those action figures people play with it will be a good game.

Prepare yourself for a $100 reskin of Final Liberation.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Be positive :smith:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

Be positive :smith:

Also there'll be no demo so some goon will have to take one for the team and report back.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So long as they pull a panzer corps and rip off fantasy general this time instead of panzer general I think it will be pretty good. Generally I think slitherine does a better job than most wargame companies when it comes to ease of use and sensible UI. Their pbem++ system is very good for getting no hassle games in every title of theirs I own.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Alchenar posted:

Also there'll be no demo so some goon will have to take one for the team and report back.

I'll do it. I have Gustav Line and it improves CM:FI big time, especially with the new graphic modes and the different types of nations.

Strategic Command 2 Assault on Communism is really good too. The new scenarios that allow you to set up your own troops before the game, and the larger map for Barbarossa is fantastic.

Assault on Democracy will probably be even better because they made the WW2 map even bigger and added more units and a better representation of the war in the Pacific with more islands and naval battles.

I am the grognard guinea pig. I am going to get Shadows for Distant Worlds on Thursday and next week Ghost Divisions and the week after Panzer Corps Allies because I uhh.. lets just say know it's really good.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The 40k game sounds more like a ripoff of Panzer Corps. Which I am completely okay with.

quote:

20 different units stats

Pffffffttthahahahawhat the gently caress is this

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

1stGear posted:

Pffffffttthahahahawhat the gently caress is this

Like what? Panzer Corps units have 20 different parameters - soft attack, air defense, movement type, initiative etc. It's just maybe a little pointless numeral to mention, who gets excited over whether there's 17 or 25 parameters?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nenonen posted:

Like what? Panzer Corps units have 20 different parameters - soft attack, air defense, movement type, initiative etc. It's just maybe a little pointless numeral to mention, who gets excited over whether there's 17 or 25 parameters?

I honestly didn't think about that. I just went straight to "We're going to add layers of pointless grognardy complication."

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
*taps thread title* Maybe you'd be better off on the Wii U. Heh. If you don't care about the velocity of a plasma gun hitting a specific armor then you don't know what living is.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Necroneocon posted:

I'll do it. I have Gustav Line and it improves CM:FI big time, especially with the new graphic modes and the different types of nations.

Strategic Command 2 Assault on Communism is really good too. The new scenarios that allow you to set up your own troops before the game, and the larger map for Barbarossa is fantastic.

Assault on Democracy will probably be even better because they made the WW2 map even bigger and added more units and a better representation of the war in the Pacific with more islands and naval battles.

I am the grognard guinea pig. I am going to get Shadows for Distant Worlds on Thursday and next week Ghost Divisions and the week after Panzer Corps Allies because I uhh.. lets just say know it's really good.

Care for a game of cmfi or panzer corps allies?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Games Workshop, you were doing so well lately in being halfway sensible with the 40k license. The Dawn of War games were fun, Space Marine was pretty good, the Space Hulk remake is showing promise...

I guess Matrix Games reminds them too much of themselves. :smith: "Customers will pay what we say they'll pay. Also, game balance just means new and/or popular things are strongest, and we're going to charge your more for our new, inferior manufacturing process!"

Don't forget to say all the proper prayers to the Emperor for each of your units between battles, or there is an increasing chance they'll fall to chaos each turn. None of the prayer buttons will be labeled, and hitting them in the wrong order secretly converts him to a heretic immediately so any further prayers have a chance of corrupting his entire unit or opening a warp portal to release a bunch of demons.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Zaodai posted:

the Space Hulk remake is showing promise...

Eh, it looked like a straight translation of the board game last time I checked. Which I guess is fine, but I really wanted another tactical shooter like the previous two Space Hulk games.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hang on, isn't the 40k world both already a wargame and completely fictional?

Doesn't that mean this game could give all the fun of encircling and annihilating units without getting bogged down in minutia like the subtleties of the D model of this aircraft compared to the C model?

The price would be a concern, yes, but I'm not sure about the other concern. There doesn't seem to be any place to fit in that sort of detail; certainly, unlike the thickness of a tank's armor or the ballistics of its cannon, there's no way to check it in the real world!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Davin Valkri posted:

Doesn't that mean this game could give all the fun of encircling and annihilating units without getting bogged down in minutia like the subtleties of the D model of this aircraft compared to the C model?

The price would be a concern, yes, but I'm not sure about the other concern. There doesn't seem to be any place to fit in that sort of detail; certainly, unlike the thickness of a tank's armor or the ballistics of its cannon, there's no way to check it in the real world!

That's actually pretty much why I'm hoping this one might work. There's still X different varieties of Leman Russ, for example, but thankfully, the details that we have about them are drat simple in comparison to the grognard stable. Hope springs eternal and all that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Traveller posted:

Eh, it looked like a straight translation of the board game last time I checked. Which I guess is fine, but I really wanted another tactical shooter like the previous two Space Hulk games.

I'm much more interested in the board game than another shooter. If they released another shooter game there's no way I'd get it but I'm definitely going to grab this if the price is right.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Davin Valkri posted:

The ballistics of the cannons depend on the line of sight rules you're using. :pseudo: 40k is all about what gets you better armor penetration, or extra wound rolls, etc, for better point values. I'm hoping the game is good, but until I see it I won't be confident the game will be good. Honestly though? If the UI is non-grognard friendly and the unit graphics aren't inexplicably all NATO counters, I'll probably scrape together the 1.5 trillion dollars required to buy a copy anyway.

As for Space Hulk, yeah it is more on the side of a board game conversion. But also user-friendly and easy on the eyes. Space Hulk is basically a turn based strategy game as it is, except now the computer takes care of all the bookkeeping for you. :toot:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Gustav Line PBEM, anyone? QB or scenario (double blind).

e: thanks dkotzl

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 21, 2013

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

uPen posted:

I'm much more interested in the board game than another shooter. If they released another shooter game there's no way I'd get it but I'm definitely going to grab this if the price is right.

I'm in the opposite camp here, if I want the board game I still have Alien Assault around. Still, if this game does well I can see a reboot of the shooters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Necroneocon posted:

Strategic Command 2 Gold and Strategic Command WW1/Breakthrough are really good games that are deeper than Panzer Corps and more a bit more deeper than Commander: The Great War.

The devs post constantly on the forums and everyone is very helpful. I really like supporting them because they really reach out the community and really care what people think.

I really need to get the later Strategic Command games. What would give me the most bang for the buck? WWI? Even their Pacific War title looks good and oh god stop making me want this I do not have 95 bux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I really need to get the later Strategic Command games. What would give me the most bang for the buck? WWI? Even their Pacific War title looks good and oh god stop making me want this I do not have 95 bux

I'd wait a couple weeks and get the Global Assault on Democracy, personally. Latest greatest engine, big global WW2 scenario. I don't think it's standalone though, so you'd need Global.