Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Seriously look at those buildings, that's my nightmare. All the tall buildings in my city built after a certain date claim to be pretty much earthquake proof but there's still lots of 10-20 story buildings from the 60's that we really aren't sure how they'll fair in the "big one". And this is in the "first world" with super strict building codes and inspections. In the "developing world" quakes half as big often have 6-figure death tolls due to a total lack of construction standards and everything being built out of cheap concrete with little to no rebar.
In 1755 a massive earthquake destroyed Lisbon and killed some 100 thousand people in what is one of the worst earthquakes in Europe and certainly the worst in Portuguese recorded history. Earthquakes in the Lisbon area aren't rare and multiple times over the centuries the city suffered multiple seismic events that caused plenty of tragedy

A relative of mine lives right here in the coast (not in the golden palace :v:) and it always terrifies me the idea that a massive earthquake can rase this beautiful downtown area to the ground and kill god knows how many people. The underground area has suffered plenty of anti-seismic changes to prevent such a catastrophe but the fear is still there. The buildings are old as poo poo, if the foundations can hold the same might not be true for the roof or the walls.

Natural disasters are terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
More tornado pics from Moore, now confirmed that it was a category 5 event, at times 1.3 miles in diameter, ran for 17 miles.

All from In Focus.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

*Is white as hell*
*Sways gently*

A bunch of legislation got rammed through Parliament recently "under urgency", meaning that there were no Select Committees or any real kind of public awareness to push for amendments or anything. In addition, opposition members received heavily redacted Impact Statements. The one above allows people to be paid (little) to care for disabled family members, in response to a court decision. However it also prevents carers from taking legal action against Government on the grounds that they were being discriminated against.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

tehloki posted:

edit: forgot picture, found lovely picture, found better picture

I think the best thing about that is that it's not even a local news station. That's an Australian news station, reporting about ducks on a road in Canada. I remember seeing it on the afternoon news and it was really loving stupid. It wasn't even a slow news day.

Our media can be just a bit useless sometimes.

Front Page Exhibit a) LIGHTNING BLASTS BOOBS OFF STATUE

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 18, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

View this profile and more with an OKleftist membership!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Ai Weiwei has a new metal video about his being held without charge and trial and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyQZ-oLshOQ

It's just too bad Ai Weiwei is a terrible singer. Cool guy and neat video.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bloodnose posted:

It's just too bad Ai Weiwei is a terrible singer.
That has never stopped anyone from making a successful metal record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzHLPnGuVSQ

VV I was making a joke about vocals in metal being a lot of indecipherable screaming about trolls or whatever. I wasn't suggesting DK was metal.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 22, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
^^ Ahh so it had nothing to do with DK, then? I thought you were calling them a metal band or something.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is the "metal record" a joke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sF8rkSPDH8&t=2s

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 22, 2013

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

VV I was making a joke about vocals in metal being a lot of indecipherable screaming about trolls or whatever.

Dead Kennedys aren't metal. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vo7f_gWxj4

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Ahh the 90s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_SiOnt_Oxo

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Continuing the Jello love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f66EqCyPOE

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Ostiosis posted:

Woman finds dog in rubble during interview:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50147264n

holy poo poo. That car's signal lights are still blinking.

Lula mid-cancer. So weird to see him lose the beard.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 22, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Kalmykia, the only Buddhist region in Europe.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

PORTLAND, OREGON-May 20, 2013--Supporters for Clean Water Oregon gathered to celebrate the defeat of an initiative to add fluoride to Portland's water supply Tuesday night. Photo by Randy L. Rasmussen/The Oregonian

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Randallteal posted:

PORTLAND, OREGON-May 20, 2013--Supporters for Clean Water Oregon gathered to celebrate the defeat of an initiative to add fluoride to Portland's water supply Tuesday night. Photo by Randy L. Rasmussen/The Oregonian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Randallteal posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YulugKzUPmw

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

Since this is the DND Pictures thread:

All from Public Shaming.tumblr

You know, I've never had any actual philosophical problem with people having guns, yet I've often felt insticntively hostile to the concept when it comes up in discussions, and I now think I know why. It's because gun rights advocates are consistently the literal scum of the earth who always have to shove their hobby into every loving discussion no matter how crass that may be.

gently caress those people, is what I'm saying.

Also some content:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Such a good album :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwIvn27PgsA

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

ThePutty posted:

Kalmykia, the only Buddhist region in Europe.

Kirsan Nikolayevich Ilyumzhinov, former president of Kalmykia, and still president of the World Chess federation is devoted to making Kalmykia the chess capital of the universe. While he was president of the Republic, he spent a ton of money on chess programs, doing things like making chess a compulsory subject for the first three years of elementary school. When an opposition newspaper published an article exposing that he was diverting government resources to pay for these projects, the editor of that newspaper was mysteriously stabbed to death.

Here he is in June, 2011, visiting Muammar Gaddafi in Libya to play chess with the dictator while he was in hiding from rioting mobs. Gaddafi died 4 months later.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
http://www.businessinsider.com/zaha-hadid-saudi-arabia-metro-station-2013-5?op=1

quote:

Zaha Hadid is known for her groundbreaking architecture around the world.

For her latest project, the architect will build a new subway station in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

The renderings were just made available, and it appears that the station will resemble a massive glass cruise ship.

The new station, called the King Abdullah Financial District Metro Station, will serve as a major hub for Riyadh's 5 million residents. It's part of an extensive overhaul of the city's public transportation system, and is expected to be completed in four years.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also some content:

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Randallteal posted:

Jesus, you can literally smell the crazy in that picture. All that's missing is Alex Jones and some 9/11 truth banners.

Fluoride is pretty legit bad for you, though. SYSK did a great episode on it a few years back. Apparently, most of the rationale for adding it to the drinking water comes from a handful of industry-sponsored studies done in the fifties and sixties with medical-grade fluoride. What's added to the drinking water is usually of much worse quality, sometimes even as bad as industrial-grade.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Cats are poo poo.

Cats kill things, but they are predators and prey species have some capacity to be subject to predators.

Cats receive undue attention when it comes to invasive species. Many plants, for example, engender wholesale habitat conversion, which can render habitats incapable of supporting whatever it is that cats might kill.

This seems like a good brochure on it: http://www.mipn.org/InvasivesBrochure.pdf

I can heartily recommend this book if you want to know more: http://www.timlow.com/books/feral-future

All from http://dnr.state.il.us/stewardship/cd/species/2425.html

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Earth posted:

Where can I read more about this?

Here's an article: http://www.thelocal.se/48026/20130520/#.UZyAW7Vwr5g

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

A French far right historian former member of terrorist OAS organization followed his leader and blew his brains outs in Notre Dame de Paris to protest against gay marriage, sharia law and immigration.

:byewhore:

Leader of the FN Marine Le Pen gave him an homage for his "eminently political act to wake up France"

Femen's response to this shithead blowing his head off yesterday.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/5wTsLQW.jpg:nws:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

french lies posted:

Jesus, you can literally smell the crazy in that picture. All that's missing is Alex Jones and some 9/11 truth banners.

Fluoride is pretty legit bad for you, though. SYSK did a great episode on it a few years back. Apparently, most of the rationale for adding it to the drinking water comes from a handful of industry-sponsored studies done in the fifties and sixties with medical-grade fluoride. What's added to the drinking water is usually of much worse quality, sometimes even as bad as industrial-grade.

Yeah, I'm going to need sources for this, particularly the 'industrial-grade' being bad chat, because all compounds are produced industrially, and fluoridation is pretty strongly regulated. You're steering close to 'toxins' here. There is also no dispute in scientific or medial circles about the benefits of fluoridation, and the rationale you state here is backed up by decades of evidence that isn't just'industry-backed'.

Fluoridation is one of the most progressive acts the US has ever undertaken. In a country where dental care is a 'luxury', this at least gives the poor a fighting chance at keeping their teeth past 40.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Randallteal posted:

"Topically applied fluoride doesn't prevent tooth decay! It does render teeth detectable by spy satellite!"

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

french lies posted:

Yeah you're going to need some references for that because you've just made a claim that is prima facie bullshit. As a poster above me mentioned, fluoride is to dental carries what vaccinations have been to communicable disease and is unambiguously regarded as one of the most successful public health interventions of all time.

The only, and I do mean only, potential downside to fluoride is a principally cosmetic condition called fluorosis which can occur when consumption is >0.05mg/kg/day. For reference, an average adult in an area with fluoridated water receives about 1mg/day. Severe fluorosis was sporadically reported when the municipal supplies were less tightly regulated, but this is largely a historical consideration. Fluoride supplementation is also uniformly recommended for areas that do not have municipal fluoridation programs.

Please do a checkup on your basic science of the topic. Every professional organization with any stake in the issue supports fluoridation. You may not realize it, but anti-fluoride scares are spun with the exact same cloth as anti-vaccination, climate change denial, intelligent design, etc. Here are links to the policy statements from the CDC, American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Dental Association.

Content:

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Yeah you're going to need some references for that because you've just made a claim that is prima facie bullshit.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491930/

quote:

Results: The standardized weighted mean difference in IQ score between exposed and reference populations was –0.45 (95% confidence interval: –0.56, –0.35) using a random-effects model. Thus, children in high-fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ scores than those who lived in low-fluoride areas. Subgroup and sensitivity analyses also indicated inverse associations, although the substantial heterogeneity did not appear to decrease.

Conclusions: The results support the possibility of an adverse effect of high fluoride exposure on children’s neurodevelopment. Future research should include detailed individual-level information on prenatal exposure, neurobehavioral performance, and covariates for adjustment.

I'm not a big anti-fluoride person and won't really argue strongly against it, but over the past few years I've seen several things from outside of the normal conspiracy theorist bubble that seem to point out that it still may not be worth the benefits to dental health. I'm not going to draw any alarmist conclusions from that yet, but just writing all the anti-fluoride arguments off as on the same level as denying moon landings is ignoring some of the actual studies, of which some more are probably needed to make any definitive claim.

That said, here's the kind of alarmist infographic that makes people distrust the anti-fluoride fanatics:

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yeah, I'm going to need sources for this, particularly the 'industrial-grade' being bad chat, because all compounds are produced industrially, and fluoridation is pretty strongly regulated. You're steering close to 'toxins' here. There is also no dispute in scientific or medial circles about the benefits of fluoridation, and the rationale you state here is backed up by decades of evidence that isn't just'industry-backed'.

Fluoridation is one of the most progressive acts the US has ever undertaken. In a country where dental care is a 'luxury', this at least gives the poor a fighting chance at keeping their teeth past 40.

Sorry for the copout, but I really don't have the time or inclination to engage in this right now (and judging from the response so far it'll be a four- or five-against-one type situation). So I'll leave my comments above with the caveat that I'm quite possibly completely wrong about this. If you're interested, take a listen to that podcast I linked and judge for yourself. It's from HowStuffWorks, meaning it's not a conspiracy/Ron Paul site or anything of that nature.

Here, have some pictures of Shanghai sidecar riders instead:

More here: http://www.oitzarisme.ro/2013/04/09/aurelien-chauvaud-shanghai-sidecar-riders/?utm

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

cyberbully posted:

quote:

Results: The standardized weighted mean difference in IQ score between exposed and reference populations was –

:catstare: Can we not start a huge flouride derail and just agree that this and really 99% of anti-flouride studies are really cherry picking their numbers from giant, heaving seas of numbers?

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Never seen the study before, but a few comments from first glance:

• Widely heterogeneous group of individuals, which includes not only exposure to fluoride but arsenic, iodine, coal-burning, etc.
  • Complete lack of standardization between arbitrarily defined "high" and "low" exposures, e.g. some categorized as "high" fall into the "low" by the standard of other included studies.
  • No data at all collected on parental education or income, which are two strong independent predictors of performance on intelligence tests
  • Cross-sectional studies, which also classify people on the basis of their area rather than their known exposures
  • Cohort of near majority rural Chinese population - does this necessarily apply to say, Portland?

I would agree that high-quality research into the issue would be appropriate, but looking at rural Chinese children exposed to coal burning and trying to extrapolate to a child drinking municipal water in Mississippi is not good information to make an informed decision with.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Ronald Nixon posted:

Cats kill things, but they are predators and prey species have some capacity to be subject to predators.

Cats receive undue attention when it comes to invasive species. Many plants, for example, engender wholesale habitat conversion, which can render habitats incapable of supporting whatever it is that cats might kill.

This seems like a good brochure on it: http://www.mipn.org/InvasivesBrochure.pdf

I can heartily recommend this book if you want to know more: http://www.timlow.com/books/feral-future

All from http://dnr.state.il.us/stewardship/cd/species/2425.html

Kudzu, the plant that ate the south. Thanks Japan.

edit: By the way those pictures aren't of some isolated incidents where kudzu has gotten out of control, it's like that everywhere. I think the only way to get rid of it is agent orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vickser
Dec 27, 2012

french lies posted:

• Locked thread